Friday, January 21, 2022 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

Archivists
Fan-created archive of games and players

Friday, January 21, 2022 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by Archivists »

J! Round
Archivists

Re: Friday, January 21, 2022 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by Archivists »

DJ! Round
Archivists

Post by Archivists »

theFJguy
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by theFJguy »

FINAL JEOPARDY! CATEGORY
MOUNTAINS

FINAL JEOPARDY! CLUE
First scaled in 1829, this 17,000-foot mountain has caused excitement by the supposed discovery of wood high up on it

Amy Schneider: 34000+20000=54000 (38x = $1,307,200)
Avinash Rajendra 5400-3001=2399
Koré Carey: 4200-4000=200

Correct response:
Spoiler
Mount Ararat (Avinash – Kilimanjaro) (Koré – the Matterhorn)

Daily Doubles
Avinash: 2800+1000
Amy: 9200+2000
Amy: 17600+4000

Coryats
Amy: 30800
Avinash: 5200
Koré: 4200

Combined: 40,200

Scores at the end of the Jeopardy! Round
Amy: 8400
Avinash: 3800
Koré: 3400
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

The Shrine had the Grammys in:
1978–1980, 1982–1987, 1989–1990, 1993, 1995–1996, 1999 to make Koré around age 32-53ish, so no worries about dating herself except the range narrows when making Shaun Cassidy part of the story.

Ken can lead a horse to water, but can't make it drink, such as Avinash doing 2800+1000 on DD1. :roll:

Perhaps it was just me, but the DJ! categories in the 3-6 slots felt like I was playing against ToC material.

Fortunately, the FJ! clue was more for me and I matched Amy. It was nice to quickly pick up on the hint and know what to do with it to salvage a 40% week.

Amy matches Matt Amodio at 38 wins while Matt has the edge on money with $200K+ more over that span.

Amy made the San Francisco Chronicle again today: https://datebook.sfchronicle.com/movies ... -in-stride
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

Another week complete: https://www.j-archive.com/showgame.php?game_id=7247

Ken hosts again next week.
squarekara
J! Reactionary

Post by squarekara »

Did one particular former J! contestant come to anyone else's mind during the Producers TS?
DBear
Denier of Pop Culture

Post by DBear »

:D :D :D :mrgreen: on big clues.
Instaget on Mt. Ararat.
opusthepenguin
The Best Darn Penguin on the Whole JBoard

Post by opusthepenguin »

Another beatdown. I've been playing from the archive for the past 4 weeks. We just feel too demoralized on behalf of the victims to watch it happen.

For the bird it's a crime to kill, I almost said mockingbird. But I quickly realized Congress wouldn't pass legislation on that and I switched to the correct response.

Got all confused on the $600 FICTIONAL PLANETS clue since the clue named the fictional planet: Remulak, so I figured they must be looking for France. Didn't have time to untangle the clue and realize they just wanted Coneheads. I hate when I totally know what a clue is referring to but misunderstand what specific piece of information is required.

I knew Woozle. That's a tiny piece of trash I picked up off Amy on the way to getting my butt kicked.

If there's room on the poll, I'm curious how many knew the nickname of Mozart's 41st symphony. I picked that trash up from podium 4. The Charles Ives clue was too hard even for me though. I've listened to his 3rd symphony several times, but I couldn't recall what hymn figured in it. I knew one of his pieces quoted musically from "In the Sweet By-and-By" (Orchestral Set #2 as it turns out, which I have on the same CD as Symphony No. 3.) But that didn't go with the "what a" TOM. Unfortunately, in the brief time given to solve that clue, the only thing "what a " did was make me think of Flashdance. Once the correct response was given, I remembered the "What a Friend We Have in Jesus" part of the third symphony.

I guessed tantalum for the "tan" element TS but wasn't willing to risk an imaginary $2000 to buzz in. Probably foolish on my part since I'm imaginarily playing against Amy. With that competition it's probably necessary to take every available risk and hope for the best.

The pictures don't show up, but I didn't need a picture of Norman Lear to know who we had to be referring to with "the '70s" and "produced hundreds of hours of beloved TV comedy".

I forgot that American Horror Story had a line extension into Crime.

Considered the Matterhorn for FJ, but kept the brain cogs turning and landed on the correct response. Liked that one better and stuck with it.
LucarioSnooperVixey
Carrying Letters and Lemons

Post by LucarioSnooperVixey »

Missed a few clues in Fictional Planets and The Producers $2000.)
DD: 3/3
FJ: :mrgreen:
Douglas Squasoni
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

Bamawoman had an uncle that was very religious. When she introduced him to me, the very first thing he said to me was to ask me to go to Turkey with him to look for the Ark. (I declined the offer).

So, like Amy, I got this one.
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

Congrats on Amy tying Matt's streak.

I had no guess on FJ! No clue that Ararat was a real mountain.
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

I'm sorry, but when Avinash bet just $1000 on his DD, I really wish Ken would have asked him to please just leave the stage.
Lefty

Post by Lefty »

"What a" surprise that Symphonies $1600 went unanswered.

For Tantalum, they might have asked "Surely, you can tease out this element named for a villain from Greek mythology".

It shouldn't have been too hard to write five clues in "Words from the Russian" that actually ask for a word for the Russian. That's the sort of thing that would cost them my Emmy vote if I had one.

In FJ, my mind spent a stormy thirty seconds before coming to rest on Mt. Pinatubo (I thought there might be pine trees there).
I'm smart and I want respect.
floridagator

Post by floridagator »

I declared the game over when Avinash bet 1000 on DD instead of going TDD.

opusthepenguin wrote: Fri Jan 21, 2022 5:33 pm
The pictures don't show up, but I didn't need a picture of Norman Lear to know who we had to be referring to with "the '70s" and "produced hundreds of hours of beloved TV comedy".
Couldn't it have been Garry Marshall? Tony Thomas? James L Brooks? I would argue that the series produced by Grant Tinker are more beloved than those produced by Lear. Mary Tyler, Bob Newhart, Rhoda, Lou Grant, Hill Street Blues...
I'd rather cuddle then have sex. If you're into grammar, you'll understand.
mxc_takeshi

Post by mxc_takeshi »

34 right.

FJ: :( (Kilimanjaro)
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

econgator wrote: Fri Jan 21, 2022 7:34 pm I'm sorry, but when Avinash bet just $1000 on his DD, I really wish Ken would have asked him to please just leave the stage.
Or when Kore started at the top when she knew for a fact there was a DD in the category.
opusthepenguin
The Best Darn Penguin on the Whole JBoard

Post by opusthepenguin »

Bamaman wrote: Fri Jan 21, 2022 7:01 pm Bamawoman had an uncle that was very religious. When she introduced him to me, the very first thing he said to me was to ask me to go to Turkey with him to look for the Ark. (I declined the offer).
You didn't even clarify who would be paying?
twelvefootboy

Post by twelvefootboy »

opusthepenguin wrote: Fri Jan 21, 2022 5:33 pm Another beatdown. I've been playing from the archive for the past 4 weeks. We just feel too demoralized on behalf of the victims to watch it happen.
Pretty much my sentiment as well. Watching and appreciating a well rounded scholar, kind of cool. Admiring the mental acumen to produce solves of riddles or pull answers from the aether, also kind of cool. Watching a contest heavily rigged to favor long run champs, yawn.

At least when Watson owned the buzzer against Jennings/Rutter, you could be treated to a surprise response now and then. Tulsa, anyone? Two days of that was not enough, but two weeks would be watching paint dry.

I'm a little surprised the FJ clue wasn't a triple get. I'm very surprised that nobody had climbed that hill in the millennia since the flood story has been around. I'm not surprised that any search parties possibly "found" wood. To paraphrase the Church Lady Dana Carvey, "How convenient".
Disclaimer - repeated exposure to author's musings may cause befuddlement.
davey

Post by davey »

opusthepenguin wrote: Fri Jan 21, 2022 5:33 pm

If there's room on the poll, I'm curious how many knew the nickname of Mozart's 41st symphony. I picked that trash up from podium 4. The Charles Ives clue was too hard even for me though. I've listened to his 3rd symphony several times, but I couldn't recall what hymn figured in it. I knew one of his pieces quoted musically from "In the Sweet By-and-By" (Orchestral Set #2 as it turns out, which I have on the same CD as Symphony No. 3.) But that didn't go with the "what a" TOM. Unfortunately, in the brief time given to solve that clue, the only thing "what a " did was make me think of Flashdance. Once the correct response was given, I remembered the "What a Friend We Have in Jesus" part of the third symphony.
I immediately thought of Jupiter, but then I focused on "exuberant energy" and thought, Maybe it's the Surprise...? When that was wrong I realized - well, I looked it up - that Surprise was Haydn. So of course when Haydn came up, I guessed Surprise again... :oops:
On the other hand, I don't know the Ives at all, but since "What a" was in quotes, I realized what hymn was being hinted at.

Wood on a mountain?? I could understand someone not remembering the right Biblical mountain, but I was surprised the challengers were on the wrong continents...