FJs for the 1/17/22 week

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

Which FJ! clues did you solve correctly for the 1/17/22 week?

Poll ended at Sun Oct 23, 2022 8:49 pm

The 1905 paper that gave this its name also referred to it as "Dynamosaurus imperiosus"
89%
France's national theater award, it's named for a man who died in Paris in 1673
55%
One of the screenwriters of this 2001 film described it as "'Clueless' meets 'The Paper Chase"'
66%
The 1890 Census reported that "the unsettled area has been so broken into... that there can hardly be said to be a" this
62%
First scaled in 1829, this 17,000-foot mountain has caused excitement by the supposed discovery of wood high up on it
51%
:mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:  I checked all five above.
16%
:( :( :( :( :(  I missed all the FJ! clues.
2%
MURALS $2000: A fresco uncovered in Pompeii shows her being seduced by what appears to be a swan
58%
INTERNATIONAL MEN OF MYSTERY $2000: This newspaperman & author of "The Devil's Dictionary" met a mysterious fate after going to Mexico in 1913
64%
SYMPHONIES $1200: It's thought that the grand scale & exuberant energy of Mozart's Symphony No. 41 in C major earned it this nickname
36%
Whether right or wrong by the end, at some point during the Monday FJ! round I considered Einstein's "theory of relativity".
15%
My correct response for the Monday FJ! clue was Tyrannosaurus rex.
59%
My correct response for the Monday FJ! clue was T-rex.
22%
Voltaire was my incorrect guess for the Tuesday FJ! round.
11%
I have seen the movie Clueless.
44%
I have seen the movie The Paper Chase.
38%
I have seen the movie Legally Blonde.
59%
I have seen all three movies mentioned above.
21%
I correctly solved the Wednesday FJ! clue without knowing The Paper Chase is about law school.
9%
Kilimanjaro was my incorrect guess for the Friday FJ! clue.
6%
A mountain in the Alps was my incorrect guess for the Friday FJ! clue.
12%
I have submitted an entry for the Explore Alaska Sweepstakes.
13%
I have not submitted an entry for the Explore Alaska Sweepstakes.
71%

Total votes: 85

MarkBarrett
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

FJs for the 1/17/22 week

Post by MarkBarrett »

1/17 FINAL JEOPARDY! CATEGORY
SCIENTIFIC NAMES

1/17 FINAL JEOPARDY! CLUE
The 1905 paper that gave this its name also referred to it as "Dynamosaurus imperiosus"

1/18 FINAL JEOPARDY! CATEGORY
AWARDS AROUND THE WORLD

1/18 FINAL JEOPARDY! CLUE
France's national theater award, it's named for a man who died in Paris in 1673

1/19 FINAL JEOPARDY! CATEGORY
FILMS OF THE 2000s

1/19 FINAL JEOPARDY! CLUE
One of the screenwriters of this 2001 film described it as "'Clueless' meets 'The Paper Chase"'

1/20 FINAL JEOPARDY! CATEGORY
WORDS IN AMERICAN HISTORY

1/20 FINAL JEOPARDY! CLUE
The 1890 Census reported that "the unsettled area has been so broken into... that there can hardly be said to be a" this

1/21 FINAL JEOPARDY! CATEGORY
MOUNTAINS

1/21 FINAL JEOPARDY! CLUE
First scaled in 1829, this 17,000-foot mountain has caused excitement by the supposed discovery of wood high up on it

Correct responses in spoiler box:
Spoiler
Tyrannosaurus rex
the Molière Award
Legally Blonde
frontier
Mount Ararat
The players were 9/14 (64.29%) with a 3-1-2-2-1 success pattern.

The extra clues have two Amy got right followed by a requested triple stumper.

MURALS $2000: A fresco uncovered in Pompeii shows her being seduced by what appears to be a swan

INTERNATIONAL MEN OF MYSTERY $2000: This newspaperman & author of "The Devil's Dictionary" met a mysterious fate after going to Mexico in 1913

SYMPHONIES $1200: It's thought that the grand scale & exuberant energy of Mozart's Symphony No. 41 in C major earned it this nickname

Correct responses in spoiler box:
Spoiler
Leda
Ambrose Bierce
"Jupiter"
MarkBarrett

Re: FJs for the 1/17/22 week

Post by MarkBarrett »

:( :mrgreen: :( :( :mrgreen
:mrgreen: :mrgreen: :(

theory of relativity
A Beautiful Mind
squat
no guess on "Jupiter"

Would have written T-rex if I had solved the clue
Only seen Clueless
No Sweepstakes entry
LucarioSnooperVixey
Carrying Letters and Lemons

Post by LucarioSnooperVixey »

:mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
:mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

Seen Clueless and Legally Blonde many times. Never seen Paper Chase.
Douglas Squasoni
Volante
Harbinger of the Doomed Lemur

Post by Volante »

:mrgreen: :( :mrgreen: :( :mrgreen:

Mon - T-rex (probably)
Tue - Cesar (knowing it was the film award)
Thu - Wilderness

Have seen Clueless, Paper Chase and Legally Blonde.

5/5 on Lindblad, cause I sure ain't wanting to pass that up!
The best thing that Neil Armstrong ever did, was to let us all imagine we were him.
Latest movies (1-10): Everything Everywhere All at Once (10), Ruby Gillman: Teenage Kraken (6), Black Sunday /1960/ (6), Marcel the Shell with Shoes On (7)
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

:mrgreen: :( :( :( :(
:( :mrgreen: :(

Haven't seen any of the movies

Insta-got "tyrannosaurus rex".

Didn't submit to the Alaska sweepstakes
seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns

Post by seaborgium »

:mrgreen: :mrgreen: :( :( :(

I would have written the whole name of the dinosaur on Monday, and I would have WAGged Matterhorn on Friday. I didn't know where The Paper Chase took place, and the Clueless reference made me think literary adaptations rather than perky, plucky young women. I've seen Legally Blonde but that didn't help.

The Jupiter symphony came up in my dad's first game, and if any other Mozart symphonies have nicknames I'm unaware of them; nothing in yesterday's clue steered me away from Jupiter so I went for it. "Leda and the Swan" is a mythology/art phrase I've heard before, and I knew of Bierce's mysterious fate as well as of his Devil's Dictionary authorship.
Plactus

Post by Plactus »

:mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :(

Pike's Peak. I had no clue. Looking at a list of mountains in that height range, I still had no clue.

Tyrannosaurus Rex.
I've seen Legally Blonde and bits of Clueless that I have no recollection of. The Paper Chase was completely unfamiliar Wednesday, despite coming up just last month on the show. Went with a female-led comedy from around that time and picked the right one. In hindsight, I'm glad I didn't think of Bridget Jones's Diary.
I currently have no interest in travel.
Oh, what has science wrought? I sought only to turn a man into a metal-encased juggernaut of destruction powered by the unknown properties of a mysterious living crystal. How could this have all gone wrong?
Leander

Post by Leander »

Have seen all three movies. Actually Paper Chase was on TCM a few weeks ago and I saw part of it for the first time in a long time.

Jupiter was an instaget, one of my favorite pieces of classical music

Entered the Alaska contest.
opusthepenguin
The Best Darn Penguin on the Whole JBoard

Post by opusthepenguin »

Perfecto! On Monday's FJ, the "saurus" in the room kept me from considering Einstein and led me quickly to the right response. Started with Voltaire but felt that was weak and it was probably that other guy. Moliere came to me pretty quickly. Took a couple of seconds to blend Clueless and Paper Chase into the correct 2001 film but I had all the right info at my disposal. Haven't seen Paper Chase but I know its setting. Have seen the other two. Frontier took a bit of fumbling. I can't remember what all I rejected. And even when I thought of Frontier I wasn't wild about it (ha ha). But I ended up deciding it was my best thought so I stuck with it. Ararat took some fumbling too, but then it clicked.

Good to see Leda and the Swan polling at 11/14 so far. That's a basic J! connection. Jeopardy! has had entire categories with quotes from the Devil's Dictionary. So most of us should be familiar with Ambrose Bierce. Bought my first recording of Mozart's Jupiter symphony around 41 years ago from the Musical Heritage Society. Thanks, Mark, for including this one.

No Alaska sweepstakes for me. I'm just too tired.
opusthepenguin
The Best Darn Penguin on the Whole JBoard

Post by opusthepenguin »

seaborgium wrote: Sat Jan 22, 2022 8:03 pm The Jupiter symphony came up in my dad's first game, and if any other Mozart symphonies have nicknames I'm unaware of them; nothing in yesterday's clue steered me away from Jupiter so I went for it.
31 is Paris. 35, 36, and 38 are Haffner, Linz, and Prague respectively. Only Paris and Prague are likely to come up, and that's just because it's easy to put in a heavy-handed TOM that leads to those names. A couple of archived clues spot you Mozart and Haffner and expect you to know that's a symphony.

Everyone can try their hand at SYMPHONY NICKNAMES in this game from 2004.
Spoiler
The Schumann one seems the toughest. Even if you get the "seasoned" TOM, you've got 4 options to consider. The $2000 clue is basically just asking for the only famous composer with over a hundred symphonies.
DBear
Denier of Pop Culture

Post by DBear »

:mrgreen: :mrgreen: :( :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
:mrgreen: :mrgreen: :|
Both were gettable.
davey

Post by davey »

:mrgreen: :mrgreen: :oops: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
:mrgreen: :mrgreen: :oops:
To me this is the easiest group of FJs in months, including the one I missed, especially since I've seen all 3 movies...
I have no good reason for switching away from Mozart to a symphony he didn't even write... :roll:
RetiredDoc

Post by RetiredDoc »

:mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :(
Anachronism

Post by Anachronism »

Coming up with a clear image of Reese Witherspoon in a ridiculous outfit in law school holding a little dog and the word "Blonde", I couldn't even begin to come up with the title. This is the type of thing that has me worried I would not do well if I got the call. I'm really starting to lose pop culture trivia from what's stuffed in my head.

No thanks on being trapped on a boat with a lot of people, though the nature part sounds fantastic.
Robert K S
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by Robert K S »

A 5/5 week to end a long spell of 3/5 and 2/5 weeks or worse.

A minor quibble with the option "My correct response for the Monday FJ! clue was T-rex." That orthography may now have been popularized, possibly by confusion with "T-shirt", but the standard scientific abbreviation, initializing the genus name, is T. rex.

I've had the fortune to have done Alaska cruises twice before in my life. While I would like to experience Alaska some other way than on a cruise ship, I wouldn't pass up a free cruise, either, provided there were some COVID protections in place.
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

Robert K S wrote: Sun Jan 23, 2022 9:29 am ...

A minor quibble with the option "My correct response for the Monday FJ! clue was T-rex." That orthography may now have been popularized, possibly by confusion with "T-shirt", but the standard scientific abbreviation, initializing the genus name, is T. rex.
If Jorge was voting I wanted to make sure he had a box to check. :)
twelvefootboy

Post by twelvefootboy »

:mrgreen: :mrgreen: :( [ :mrgreen:/ :( ] :mrgreen:
:( :( :(

I saw Legally Blonde in the theater before I ever heard of the term romcom. Are there any actual comedies anymore? Dumb and Dumber are about as close as I can think of. Borat, maybe? Heard of the Paper Chase and knew John Houseman from the commercials was in it, but didn't know what it was about. I'm still clueless about the other one, what was the name again??

I had a brief Einstein detour for the 1905 TOM.
Moliere was a guess without having to flip a coin because I couldn't remember Voltaire's name.
My Thursday guess is a cat in a box, I won't know if I went with "frontier", or "wild frontier" until the reveal. For now, I've checked the box (or is it un-checked??), but the superposition remains.
Wood on Ararat and water on Mars are both completely irrelevant to the narratives they are championing.

No to the cruise. I want to be in a tropical location in case of a Gilligan's Island scenario :lol: . I will have to research how to make an AM radio out of a coconut before I go.
Disclaimer - repeated exposure to author's musings may cause befuddlement.
TheTabbyWhisperer
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by TheTabbyWhisperer »

My first impulse was Mount Ararat but I talked myself out of it and went Mount Sinai.
davey

Post by davey »

Robert K S wrote: Sun Jan 23, 2022 9:29 am
I've had the fortune to have done Alaska cruises twice before in my life. While I would like to experience Alaska some other way than on a cruise ship, I wouldn't pass up a free cruise, either, provided there were some COVID protections in place.
To me, not entering for a free cruise that J! makes so easy would be like...wagering $1000 on an early DD when I had $2800 to bet...
I mean, in the unlikely event I win, I'm assuming I don't have to leave next week...
AFRET CMS
JBOARDIE OF THE MONTH!

Post by AFRET CMS »

:mrgreen: :( :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

Had the opposite of TFB's problem; went with Voltaire because I couldn't remember Molière's name.

Have seen The Paper Chase several times, most recently on TCM. Have never seen Legally Blonde on film but have seen the musical stage adaptation a couple of times. Have never seen Clueless but am aware of it. The combination was more than sufficient.
Robert K S wrote: Sun Jan 23, 2022 9:29 am I've had the fortune to have done Alaska cruises twice before in my life. While I would like to experience Alaska some other way than on a cruise ship, I wouldn't pass up a free cruise, either, provided there were some COVID protections in place.
In fall of 2019, we took our last pre-pandemic cruise as a "Land-Sea" trip with Holland America. Started in Fairbanks with two days on our own, then joined the cruise group for a day tour of the Fairbanks area. We were then bused to Denali for two nights and a full day, followed by a train trip to Anchorage. Then another bus to Seward and a day cruise of Kenai Fjords before boarding the cruise ship for multiple stops on the way to Vancouver.

Holland America owns the train line and the Denali resort, so the trip was pretty seamless. We had a great time and can recommend it to someone who wants to see at least some of the interior without handling all the trip logistics themselves, and doesn't mind adhering to someone else's schedule.
I'm not the defending Jeopardy! champion. But I have played one on TV.