Monday, January 24, 2022 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Re: Monday, January 24, 2022 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by econgator »

opusthepenguin wrote: Mon Jan 24, 2022 4:32 pm I think I knew RADAR was an acronym, but I didn't recall what it stood for. I'd be in a similar pickle with SONAR. If SCUBA comes up, I'm good.
Although Ken said it was "radio detecting ...", but it's "radio detection ..." (and sonar -- no caps any more -- is "sound navigation and ranging".
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

Nothing for me on FJ other than it’s in Chicago. M

Got BLM right, but had to stop myself from saying the wrong BLM.

I think Party like it’s… would be acceptable.
DysonSphere
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by DysonSphere »

I thought myself clever for coming up with the obviously correct "Smithsonian" for FJ. Too bad it wasn't the right answer! If I had made the Chicago connection I could have gotten it.
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

Amy -- congrats on the new record.

I thought the R&B category was really tough. I can tell you literally nothing about Boyz II Men or LL Cool J, and En Vogue and Montell Jordan were NHOIs for me.

No guess on the top two in TV and Film but I got the next three. I thought the top box was way too obscure.

I know of Marshall Field's, and have been to Chicago many times, but Field Museum was a NHOI for me.
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

TenPoundHammer wrote: Mon Jan 24, 2022 8:28 pm Amy -- congrats on the new record.

I thought the R&B category was really tough. I can tell you literally nothing about Boyz II Men or LL Cool J, and En Vogue and Montell Jordan were NHOIs for me.

No guess on the top two in TV and Film but I got the next three. I thought the top box was way too obscure.

I know of Marshall Field's, and have been to Chicago many times, but Field Museum was a NHOI for me.
2-6-10 for me in Hip-Hop which I'll gladly take any day.

ZG in TV while a get for the contestant (and myself), is one I agree is not top box. Not that the show/actor is too obscure, but not $400 DJ! appropriate.
harrumph
Voyeur

Post by harrumph »

On the marital temptation clue in the Year Of Before And After category I was rooting for a year that ends in 69.
mxc_takeshi

Post by mxc_takeshi »

28 right.

Lach Trash: "This Is How We Do It", Miami Vice

FJ: :mrgreen:
Woof
Swimming in the Jeopardy! Pool

Post by Woof »

I’ve only ever heard ol’ cat-head called Bastet, but Wikipedia backs them up on Baset and a host of other variants. Good boards for me overall, though I don’t know that I could’ve rung in in time for those B&A clues.

I’ve been to the Field (and Marshall Field’s) often enough that it just required me to recall where the 1893 Columbia Exposition was. Fortunately, I talked myself out of St Louis.
Volante
Harbinger of the Doomed Lemur

Post by Volante »

opusthepenguin wrote: Mon Jan 24, 2022 4:32 pm I didn't remember the Prince song just went by 1999. I'm assuming "Party Like It's 1999 Bottles of Beer on the Wall" would slide by? Maybe not. All the other correct responses just had the year followed by some verbiage. But this was the first clue and I didn't know how it worked.
Songs aren't penalized if the lyrics are otherwise correct and it fits the theme so it's good in my book. Admittedly that book is "The Cat in the Hat" so, YMMV.

TY Ace Ventura! (and they edited this snippet nicely!)

Another Smithson(ian) here.
The best thing that Neil Armstrong ever did, was to let us all imagine we were him.
Latest movies (1-10): Everything Everywhere All at Once (10), Ruby Gillman: Teenage Kraken (6), Black Sunday /1960/ (6), Marcel the Shell with Shoes On (7)
davey

Post by davey »

Plenty of sources agree with Ken on radar, even scientific ones - in fact, some sources have used detection and detecting almost interchangeably (horrors!)
https://www.nature.com/articles/152391b0
I mentioned Zach Galifianikis here the other day, so the spelling is fresh in my mind...Nice to see Eric Wareheim and Tim Heidecker get a shout out, too.
Imagine if someone had said Broadcast Music International for BMI...! :roll:

The only Chicago museum I could think of was the Art Institute, so for a named museum I thought maybe it's Philadelphia and the Barnes Foundation... Doesn't quite fit with artifacts rather than art in the clue...:roll: :roll:
Last edited by davey on Mon Jan 24, 2022 11:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
This Is Kirk!
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by This Is Kirk! »

I got this FJ instantly, but I remember that I used to think it was called the "Field Museum" because it displayed artifacts found in "the field." Not sure when I realized it was actually named for Marshall Field, but it had to be a bit of a facepalm at the time.
Lefty

Post by Lefty »

opusthepenguin wrote: Mon Jan 24, 2022 4:32 pm
ROMA LIFE & CULTURE, eh? You writers wouldn't be doing a little penance for a certain incident last April, would you?
That was my thought, too.

Also porcupine, also Anne Rice.

I never can remember RADAR but it's not a very good acronym, so no apology.

I've seen the Zach guy's name but never read it all the way through. I also couldn't have named anything he was ever in, so I agree he was tough for the top row.

Pretty sure the Christie novel was "The Pale Horse", but no extra points for that, alas.

It's nice when they spot you words like "agency" and "adminstration" from an initialism, but I don't think a BLM clue should spot you "lands".

So there's no Great Silos National Park? Fine, I'll stay home.
I'm smart and I want respect.
twelvefootboy

Post by twelvefootboy »

I probably lived a year in Chicago motel rooms over the course of 100 or so business trips. Been to the Field Museum a handful of times. Adler Planetarium and Shedd Aquarium are all right there on the lakefront as well. I never made, or forgot the connection of the Field name and would have almost guessed it was named after a field (it is close to Soldier Field). Luckily the spelling kept me from the same mistake on the Shed :lol:.
I just couldn't believe it was Smithson's place, and picked Getty, knowing it was probably about 40 years too early, unless of course he just wanted to get them out of that shed in Chicago.

I actually watched this episode, but once it hit blowout mode in DJ, I muted it and read it like I would from the archive. After watching 4 walk-off NFL endings this weekend (that all went my way :)), I just didn't want to see a runaway.
Disclaimer - repeated exposure to author's musings may cause befuddlement.
yclept

Post by yclept »

Credit to Erin for at least going all-in on DD-1, something that would seem obvious but apparently isn’t always. Credit to Joanne for the single solve in FJ.

Amy loses another $25,000 but all it is doing is keeping her from third place on the regular season money list.
alietr
Site Admin

Post by alietr »

At least Erin came out like she was trying to win. DD hunting and going true DD. Too bad it didn't work out for her. Erin and Joanne almost managed to stay with Amy on the buzzer in SJ, but once DJ hit, Amy was off to the races again.
Xu Donym
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by Xu Donym »

twelvefootboy wrote: Mon Jan 24, 2022 11:20 pm I never made, or forgot the connection of the Field name and would have almost guessed it was named after a field (it is close to Soldier Field).
That's actually pretty much how I solved it. I remembered Chicago's Wrigley Field, and for a moment wondered whether the museum could have been named after Wrigley.... then the other half of that name kicked in for the answer.
triviawayne
Hoping I don’t drown in this contestant pool

Post by triviawayne »

This Is Kirk! wrote: Mon Jan 24, 2022 11:14 pm I got this FJ instantly, but I remember that I used to think it was called the "Field Museum" because it displayed artifacts found in "the field." Not sure when I realized it was actually named for Marshall Field, but it had to be a bit of a facepalm at the time.
Probably a big facepalm, as my facepalm moment on the subject was...yesterday (my face is still very red and bruised). Now that I know this, I will probably always remember the name of "that one in Chicago".
Total game show career losings = $171,522
squarekara
J! Reactionary

Post by squarekara »

This Is Kirk! wrote: Mon Jan 24, 2022 11:14 pm I got this FJ instantly, but I remember that I used to think it was called the "Field Museum" because it displayed artifacts found in "the field." Not sure when I realized it was actually named for Marshall Field, but it had to be a bit of a facepalm at the time.
I'm in Chicagoland, and there's a lovely forest preserve west of the city called Waterfall Glen. Imagine my shock the day I learned it was named after a county official called Seymour "Bud" Waterfall.
This Is Kirk!
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by This Is Kirk! »

squarekara wrote: Tue Jan 25, 2022 8:11 am
I'm in Chicagoland, and there's a lovely forest preserve west of the city called Waterfall Glen. Imagine my shock the day I learned it was named after a county official called Seymour "Bud" Waterfall.
Well that's just mean :)
triviawayne
Hoping I don’t drown in this contestant pool

Post by triviawayne »

squarekara wrote: Tue Jan 25, 2022 8:11 am
Good thing it's not fully named for him, because if it was named "Seymour Waterfall", everyone would go there looking for the rest of it...

I'll see myself out.
Total game show career losings = $171,522