Jeopardy! National College Championship

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Re: Jeopardy! National College Championship

Post by econgator »

Robert K S wrote: Tue Jan 25, 2022 6:32 pm Seeing as I can't see
Wait, what? :)
Xu Donym
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by Xu Donym »

Robert K S wrote: Tue Jan 25, 2022 6:32 pm Seeing as I can't see any reason for such secrecy, it's probably more just that they haven't gotten their PR machine in gear yet. The media blitz will probably launch this week.
I'm guessing that they don't want their "Amy record" publicity to drown out their "College Tournament" publicity, and vice versa. It's regrettable that a couple of media outlets have released what seems to be contradictory information about the tournament, but I'd put that down to inaccurate/incomplete reporting rather than Jeopardy! confusion or secrecy.
MarkBarrett
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by MarkBarrett »

Forwarding my on-screen guide two weeks:
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

Half the fun in watching will be finding out the format.
Volante
Harbinger of the Doomed Lemur

Post by Volante »

Bamaman wrote: Wed Jan 26, 2022 6:06 am Half the fun in watching will be finding out the format.
Does that make the other half of fun the watching?
The best thing that Neil Armstrong ever did, was to let us all imagine we were him.
Latest movies (1-10): Everything Everywhere All at Once (10), Ruby Gillman: Teenage Kraken (6), Black Sunday /1960/ (6), Marcel the Shell with Shoes On (7)
alietr
Site Admin

Post by alietr »

Volante wrote: Wed Jan 26, 2022 8:35 am
Bamaman wrote: Wed Jan 26, 2022 6:06 am Half the fun in watching will be finding out the format.
Actually seeing some competition on the show.
AndyTheQuizzer
Lots and Lots of Interviews

Post by AndyTheQuizzer »

One other major reason for the confusion amongst media outlets surrounding the format is that the format was going to be one way under Mike Richards, but was changed after Mike Richards was let go.
Andy Saunders
J! Archive Founding Archivist
Publisher - The Jeopardy! Fan
Robert K S
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by Robert K S »

OntarioQuizzer wrote: Wed Jan 26, 2022 9:30 am One other major reason for the confusion amongst media outlets surrounding the format is that the format was going to be one way under Mike Richards, but was changed after Mike Richards was let go.
Genuinely awesome
triviawayne
Hoping I don’t drown in this contestant pool

Post by triviawayne »

Volante wrote: Wed Jan 26, 2022 8:35 am
That half is split between watching and eating Bon Bons while watching.
Total game show career losings = $171,522
jeopardyfan939

Post by jeopardyfan939 »

Why wouldn't it?
It could very well be a possibility that the National College Championship spinoff replaces the the College Championship on the daily syndicated series; TPTB brought back celebrities as contestants on Wheel of Fortune, except it's now a primetime spinoff.
Why wouldn't they? (unless this is still some sort of team format)
I would not see why not have the winner of the NCC get a spot in the ToC despite the former being a primetime spinoff and the latter continuing to air on the daily syndicated series.
Golf

Post by Golf »

It seems OQ is taking great pains not to breach confidentiality while indicating that he knows the format. I have yet to see a format suggested (including OQ's) that is solid. Teams in addition to a SF team advancing seems awfully gimmicky. And if it is teams, the winners certainly are not advancing to the ToC.

I certainly can't figure out a good format given the information assumed to be correct. (9 hour long episodes with 36 contestants)
finishemzoe
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by finishemzoe »

I really hope it's not going to be teams honestly, but either way it's kind of annoying to me how they're being so secretive about the format. I'm pretty sure they did this with the All-Star Games too. I just wanna know what I'm getting!!!! aaaaaaaaaa
sup, i'm bliss.

trans rights.

JEOPARDY! LEADERBOARD HERE: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/ ... mYjSS0weM/

SUBSTACK: https://livinginjeopardy.substack.com/
Sherm

Post by Sherm »

OntarioQuizzer wrote: Wed Jan 26, 2022 9:30 am One other major reason for the confusion amongst media outlets surrounding the format is that the format was going to be one way under Mike Richards, but was changed after Mike Richards was let go.
I understand the Richards format had some weapons under the podiums that could be used between questions. :)
Xu Donym
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by Xu Donym »

Sherm wrote: Thu Jan 27, 2022 12:54 pm
I understand the Richards format had some weapons under the podiums that could be used between questions. :)
You mean the rumors are untrue that Richards arranged with the Pepperdine admissions office for a buxom Pepperdine coed to win the tournament in exchange for Richards' kids being admitted a few years from now? Whew! That's a relief! ;)
cf1140
Not Jeopardy! Material

Post by cf1140 »

18 schools

Six single-game quarterfinals that take one hour slots. Time for all players to get interviewed.

Two double-game semifinals that take one hour slots, no interviews.

One double-game final that includes two semifinal winners plus a wildcard that takes a one hour slot, no interviews.
finishemzoe
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by finishemzoe »

cf1140 wrote: Thu Jan 27, 2022 8:50 pm 18 schools

Six single-game quarterfinals that take one hour slots. Time for all players to get interviewed.

One double-game final that includes two semifinal winners plus a wildcard that takes a one hour slot, no interviews.
Are you confirming this or is this just speculation? And with it being 18 schools, would that also confirm it's teams of two that'll be splitting the $250,000 prize?
sup, i'm bliss.

trans rights.

JEOPARDY! LEADERBOARD HERE: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/ ... mYjSS0weM/

AgentSeto
Contributor

Post by AgentSeto »

This says 36 students from 36 colleges/universities: https://www.dgepress.com/abc/pressrelea ... -schedule/
finishemzoe
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by finishemzoe »

I'm gonna scream.
sup, i'm bliss.

trans rights.

MattKnowles
selwonKttaM

Post by MattKnowles »

There are 24 teams with 16 players from 28 colleges. They are competing in 17 games over 10 broadcast days. Each game will have 3 rounds except for the wild card rounds and the quarter finals. The wild card rounds will have 2 rounds each and a bonus dance contest. The finals will be preempted by the semi finals to save time. In case of a tie breaker the winner will be determined by attendance records.
I had a dream that I was asleep and then I woke up and Jeopardy! was on.
cf1140
Not Jeopardy! Material

Post by cf1140 »

finishemzoe wrote: Fri Jan 28, 2022 3:29 am
cf1140 wrote: Thu Jan 27, 2022 8:50 pm 18 schools

Are you confirming this or is this just speculation? And with it being 18 schools, would that also confirm it's teams of two that'll be splitting the $250,000 prize?
speculatin