Wednesday, January 26, 2022 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

davey
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Re: Wednesday, January 26, 2022 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by davey »

morbeedo wrote: Thu Jan 27, 2022 2:42 pm
alietr wrote: Thu Jan 27, 2022 12:27 pm
BobF wrote: Thu Jan 27, 2022 11:25 am
Full disclosure, I'm in the rooting for Amy to lose category, couldn't stand her voice and had pretty much skipped watching her games last couple of weeks.
From the NYTimes article:

“I’ve got a more feminine voice when I really want to, and I’d sort of been planning on using that voice on TV,” she said. But she ultimately decided that consciously altering her voice could affect her gameplay and chose to speak in her usual register. She’s proud of that decision.

“Trans women watching can see me with my voice as it is and see me being OK with it,” she said.

Her voice had once been a source of dysphoria for Ms. Schneider, but now she is considering turning it into a career. She recently signed with the talent agency CAA and said that she’s interested in voice acting.
So many surprising tidbits in that article. For me, it was that she signed with CAA and she smokes. Head is still spinning. Her voice is her voice and if she can make money off it, good for her.
Yeah, I wonder if CAA took her call because of her J! streak.
Surprisingly, there are few ridiculous or objectionable comments to this article. Of those, this is my favorite-
I don't understand why people are fascinated by these winning streaks.
Jeopardy producers can plan them.
To get on the show, one must go to LA and take a test for two days, answering thousands of questions -- they know what you know and what you don't know. They can then organize the "answers."
No disrespect to Schneider or Jennings (there are both in command of knowledge). But Jeopardy decides who will win, to get in the news.
And now they are in the news, again.
opusthepenguin
The Best Darn Penguin on the Whole JBoard

Post by opusthepenguin »

brick wrote: Thu Jan 27, 2022 3:34 pm But if the clue is about a US President and you say Roosevelt you will be asked to BMS. If it is about a football player, Manning should result in a BMS.
I seem to recall instances of "Who is Roosevelt" being accepted, but I can't find an example right now. I did find an example of "Who is Roosevelt" NOT being accepted for the $600 clue in HAIL TO THE CHIEF in this game. But that's because it was the wrong response. The next contestant to buzz in got it on the rebound with "Who is Adams?" :|

If you go back a clue in that game, you'll also see someone getting credit in the same category for "Who is Johnson?" It's not entirely clear from the archive, but Alex, not the contestant, is the one who added the info that it was LBJ. This one's an edge case since most J!-level contestants will know that Andrew Johnson was not an early advocate of manned space flight. He just wasn't that forward-thinking. But still, personally, I want to know that the contestant is aware of this and can name the correct Johnson.

As a side thought, now I'm kind of sad that there will never be a category called NAME THAT JOHNSON.

EDIT: Ok, here we go. $600 and $800 clues for THE FIRST PRESIDENT in this game. Clue says "...to live in the White House". Contestant gets away with "Who is Adams?" Clue says "...to appear on television". Contestant gets away with "Who is Roosevelt?" Not cool, J!-judges. Not cool.

That was Alex Jacob, by the way, who got credit for "Who is Adams?" Later he would go back to that category for the $400 clue, first president "...to die in office". There for some reason he chose to give William Henry Harrison his full three-named dignity. It's interesting that the category had three of the four presidential names for which a BMS might be required. (There's only four, right? I'm not forgetting someone?)
Woof
Swimming in the Jeopardy! Pool

Post by Woof »

davey wrote: Thu Jan 27, 2022 4:10 pm
Full disclosure, I'm in the rooting for Amy to lose category, couldn't stand her voice and had pretty much skipped watching her games last couple of weeks.

“I’ve got a more feminine voice when I really want to, and I’d sort of been planning on using that voice on TV,” she said. But she ultimately decided that consciously altering her voice could affect her gameplay and chose to speak in her usual register. She’s proud of that decision.

“Trans women watching can see me with my voice as it is and see me being OK with it,” she said.

Her voice had once been a source of dysphoria for Ms. Schneider, but now she is considering turning it into a career. She recently signed with the talent agency CAA and said that she’s interested in voice acting.
So many surprising tidbits in that article. For me, it was that she signed with CAA and she smokes. Head is still spinning. Her voice is her voice and if she can make money off it, good for her.
Surprisingly, there are few ridiculous or objectionable comments to this article. Of those, this is my favorite-
To get on the show, one must go to LA and take a test for two days, answering thousands of questions -- they know what you know and what you don't know. They can then organize the "answers."
No disrespect to Schneider or Jennings (there are both in command of knowledge). But Jeopardy decides who will win, to get in the news.
This is why I largely avoid the comments section of just about everything, up to and including YouTube videos. It’s just not worth the cerebral hemorrhage that they induce.
This most certainly includes the J! Facebook page. I only go there now when a friend posts there, and I usually immediately regret that decision. Oy!
davey

Post by davey »

Woof wrote: Thu Jan 27, 2022 5:13 pm
davey wrote: Thu Jan 27, 2022 4:10 pm

This is why I largely avoid the comments section of just about everything, up to and including YouTube videos. It’s just not worth the cerebral hemorrhage that they induce.
This most certainly includes the J! Facebook page. I only go there now when a friend posts there, and I usually immediately regret that decision. Oy!
Good policy, but I couldn't resist on this one. I'm sorry to say the objectionable comments have multiplied in the couple of hours since I first posted...
This Is Kirk!
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by This Is Kirk! »

Woof wrote: Thu Jan 27, 2022 5:13 pm This is why I largely avoid the comments section of just about everything, up to and including YouTube videos. It’s just not worth the cerebral hemorrhage that they induce.
Definitely and I admit I get sucked in from time to time.
Xu Donym
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by Xu Donym »

morbeedo wrote: Thu Jan 27, 2022 2:42 pm So many surprising tidbits in that article. For me, it was that she signed with CAA and she smokes. Head is still spinning. Her voice is her voice and if she can make money off it, good for her.
I'm actually encouraged to see that viewers and readers seem to be expressing much more upset over this brilliant champion being a cigarette smoker than about any of Amy's other characteristics and choices. Amy, we're rooting for your Tournament of Champions interview segment to include the happy detail that you have quit smoking.
John Boy

Post by John Boy »

cinemaniax7 wrote: Wed Jan 26, 2022 8:11 pm Good move by Rhone going all in on the second Daily Double in DJ . . . with just a little prodding from Ken. ;)

About halfway through the Think music, the thought occurred to me that here was a question that could dethrone a super champ, as there's a decided element of luck involved, with the contestants mentally scrolling through a list of almost 200 countries. And unless you've recently studied a list of the ten most populous countries, you might very well cost yourself valuable time thinking first of countries that are large in terms of area.
During the last commercial break it occurred to me that there were over 200 countries in the world, and I looked forward to HATING any clue that made us mentally scroll through them. Instead they gave us a HUGE help with the part about top-10 in population.

That enabled me to eliminate a bunch of countries and think of the ones I at least believed to be top-10:

USA? Brazil. Russia. China, Indonesia? India....Wait, India? What's right next door to India? Yep.

I also did not believe Bangladesh had a population of that magnitude, but I was pretty sure the name ended in "H," :D so that was the end of my deliberation.

Add my congrats to both the outgoing champ and the new one. I look forward to seeing how his first defense goes.
John Boy

Post by John Boy »

AntmanB wrote: Thu Jan 27, 2022 2:06 am
CyrusChan wrote: Wed Jan 26, 2022 11:34 pm I hope Rhone makes it to the ToC as we'll have a string of Matt, Jonathan, Andrew, Amy, and (Rhone). Can't recall how many other spots are filled..., the five-day winner and Brian Chang along with the professor winner??
Sam Buttrey Professors 100,000
Amy Schnieder 40x 1,382,800
Matt Amodio 38x 1,518,601
Johnathan Fisher 11x 246,100
Brian Chang 7x 163,904
Courtney Shaw 7x 118,558
Zach Newkirk 6x 124,781
Andrew He 5x 157,365
Tyler Rhode 5x 105,901
HOLY CRAP!, that's a lot of J!-money-winning powerhouse candidates! Looking forward to THAT already!
SBurrus

Post by SBurrus »

In the summer of 1988, as a student at North Carolina State, I spent a summer working on an EPA-sponsored project administered by NC State to study the effects of acid rain on the Appalachian mountains. It was called the Mountain Cloud Chemistry Project (MCCP) and there were seven sites from North Carolina to Pennsylvania. The cliff notes version: during thunderstorms or when there was low-lying cloud cover, we climbed up a metal pole to attach a cone that would suck in water droplets, did a preliminary pH report on the collections (every hour during the event) and then sent the samples back to Raleigh for further analysis.

Anyway...the manager of our site was a graduate student from Bangladesh, and was my roommate.

The point of this post: I could NOT come up with Bangladesh for FJ...and when the answer was revealed, I did a painful facepalm.
CyrusChan

Post by CyrusChan »

AntmanB wrote: Thu Jan 27, 2022 2:06 am
CyrusChan wrote: Wed Jan 26, 2022 11:34 pm I hope Rhone makes it to the ToC as we'll have a string of Matt, Jonathan, Andrew, Amy, and (Rhone). Can't recall how many other spots are filled..., the five-day winner and Brian Chang along with the professor winner??
Sam Buttrey Professors 100,000
Amy Schnieder 40x 1,382,800
Matt Amodio 38x 1,518,601
Johnathan Fisher 11x 246,100
Brian Chang 7x 163,904
Courtney Shaw 7x 118,558
Zach Newkirk 6x 124,781
Andrew He 5x 157,365
Tyler Rhode 5x 105,901

Thanks for the response.
jeff6286

Post by jeff6286 »

BobF wrote: Thu Jan 27, 2022 3:37 pm
jeff6286 wrote: Thu Jan 27, 2022 2:35 pm
Imagine a person watching Jeopardy! and thinking "I hate her voice!" and then thinking "I should make sure I log on to a website where I haven't posted in two years and make sure EVERYONE knows I hate her voice! It's a very important and valuable opinion!"

That would be wild.
That's why it was under the "full disclosure" section because it wasn't my main point. The MAIN point was that there have been similar things that might have helped Amy. But thank you for being such an awesome nitpicker and/or stalker.

Full disclosure: My life has taken many twists and turns over the last 3 years.
Who is nitpicking? It was the first words in your post. If you feel the vital need to share your hot take then you should be prepared to get called out when it's a bad one.

And stalker? What? You posted your garbage on a public messageboard, no one (including me) went and sought it out.
BobF

Post by BobF »

jeff6286 wrote: Thu Jan 27, 2022 11:31 pm
BobF wrote: Thu Jan 27, 2022 3:37 pm
jeff6286 wrote: Thu Jan 27, 2022 2:35 pm
Imagine a person watching Jeopardy! and thinking "I hate her voice!" and then thinking "I should make sure I log on to a website where I haven't posted in two years and make sure EVERYONE knows I hate her voice! It's a very important and valuable opinion!"

That would be wild.
That's why it was under the "full disclosure" section because it wasn't my main point. The MAIN point was that there have been similar things that might have helped Amy. But thank you for being such an awesome nitpicker and/or stalker.

Full disclosure: My life has taken many twists and turns over the last 3 years.
Who is nitpicking? It was the first words in your post. If you feel the vital need to share your hot take then you should be prepared to get called out when it's a bad one.

And stalker? What? You posted your garbage on a public messageboard, no one (including me) went and sought it out.
A paragraph labeled full disclosure is for context not the main point. And in these times simply saying I don’t like a person who happens to be transgender would lead to all sorts of attacks on me that have no basis in my actual beliefs.
Was once hugged by Maggie Speak!
jeff6286

Post by jeff6286 »

Wow you don't quit.
BobF

Post by BobF »

jeff6286 wrote: Fri Jan 28, 2022 12:19 pm Wow you don't quit.
Says the guy who is doubling down on missing the main point of my post. But here, I quit now. Later.
Was once hugged by Maggie Speak!
opusthepenguin
The Best Darn Penguin on the Whole JBoard

Post by opusthepenguin »

BobF wrote: Fri Jan 28, 2022 1:48 pm
jeff6286 wrote: Fri Jan 28, 2022 12:19 pm Wow you don't quit.
Says the guy who is doubling down on missing the main point of my post. But here, I quit now. Later.
Woohoo! That means if you reply, you get to have the last word jeff6286!
AFRET CMS
JBOARDIE OF THE MONTH!

Post by AFRET CMS »

SBurrus -- It took me at least three readings of your post to absorb and digest your main point. I kept getting distracted by
SBurrus wrote: Thu Jan 27, 2022 7:38 pm "on ... mountains" + "during thunderstorms" + "we climbed up a metal pole"
Very glad the task didn't lead to any "What did you THINK would happen?" moments......
I'm not the defending Jeopardy! champion. But I have played one on TV.
SBurrus

Post by SBurrus »

AFRET CMS wrote: Fri Jan 28, 2022 3:26 pm SBurrus -- It took me at least three readings of your post to absorb and digest your main point. I kept getting distracted by
SBurrus wrote: Thu Jan 27, 2022 7:38 pm "on ... mountains" + "during thunderstorms" + "we climbed up a metal pole"
Very glad the task didn't lead to any "What did you THINK would happen?" moments......
Ha. Yeah...we had to climb back up the pole at the top of every hour to replace the vials where the cloud droplets were collected. When thunderstorms were in progress, we climbed up that pole REALLY fast...and got down as quickly as we could.
Robert K S
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by Robert K S »

MarkBarrett wrote: Wed Jan 26, 2022 1:44 pm The signs were all over that Amy could lose today. Early Rhone post on Reddit
Here is the most /r/jeopardy "Watch me on Jeopardy!" post ever.

It even has a recursive link in it.
seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns

Post by seaborgium »

I didn't notice it the first time around, but watching this on Monday I heard Ken being very careful giving the response of "cleaner wrasse," which led me to come up with, "Cleaner wrasse? I hardly know her!"