Wednesday, January 26, 2022 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

TenPoundHammer

Re: Wednesday, January 26, 2022 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by TenPoundHammer »

Congrats to Amy. A fantastic streak, but it had to end eventually.

I had no guess on FJ! Bangladesh didn't cross my mind since I thought it was way way way way way way smaller.
squarekara
J! Reactionary

Post by squarekara »

A little earlier I was looking at the Board Index and mentioned to my daughter that there were nearly 20 replies to this thread already. "Don't get spoiled!" she warned, so I got outta there.

Amy deployed great breadth of knowledge and amazing buzzer skills but never came across like a heat seeking missile. Everything seemed so effortless. Way to go, champ!

And congrats to Rhone. I'm watching in Chicago where J! leads immediately into the local afternoon news. The anchor was speechless at the upset and just laughed "Wow!" as the newscast began. He later admitted that they were "all stunned" in the newsroom.
Last edited by squarekara on Wed Jan 26, 2022 7:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
MinnesotaMyron
JBOARDIE OF THE MONTH!

Post by MinnesotaMyron »

For future reference, the letters that end the name of only 1 country are G, H, K, and Q.
And those countries are...
Luxembourg, Bangladesh, Denmark, & Iraq
Xu Donym
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by Xu Donym »

TenPoundHammer wrote: Wed Jan 26, 2022 5:01 pm I had no guess on FJ! Bangladesh didn't cross my mind since I thought it was way way way way way way smaller.
You were correct in that it IS way, way, smaller -- measured by area. But it is dense with people. Bangladesh has a population density greater than 1,200 per square kilometer. Compare that to India with just 450 per square kilometer, China with 150 per square kilometer, and the USA with 90 per square kilometer.

Only five countries have population densities higher than Bangladesh, but unlike Bangladesh they are tiny nations with lots of skyscrapers (e.g. Singapore with 8,000+, or Monaco in the top position with 19,000+).
Linear Gnome
One Miner Gal

Post by Linear Gnome »

Linear Gnome wrote: Fri Jan 14, 2022 9:48 pm Props to Amy for eclipsing Holzhauer's streak. By the end of the next two-day taping session, she will have either been dethroned or made more history (or both, conceivably).
So "both" came in, after all. I'm already excited about the next ToC!

I got a little lucky on today's FJ!. I fell asleep during the commercial break before FJ!, woke up about halfway into the Think! music, and instantly came up with the correct response.

I was a little surprised that Rhone didn't get a ZergCam. I guess he didn't react right away.
VetoTheNeato
Just Starting Out on JBoard

Post by VetoTheNeato »

A great game! Was on the edge of my seat the whole time. A great game played to both Amy and Rhone!

For anyone interested, Rhone Talsma is doing a Q&A this Saturday in this server: https://discord.gg/3EMZ6VdXSe
brick
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by brick »

MarkBarrett wrote: Wed Jan 26, 2022 1:44 pm

Hey, Ken, you could have asked for a specification on the QB's first name instead of only accepting the family name. I'm fine with the PBS kid show judging even though I had the proper name for it.
Yeah, those were both sloppy.
brick

Post by brick »

A friend of mine was spoiled by a NY Times news pop-up. I imagine a lot of people were.
cinemaniax7
Humble Pi

Post by cinemaniax7 »

Good move by Rhone going all in on the second Daily Double in DJ . . . with just a little prodding from Ken. ;)

About halfway through the Think music, the thought occurred to me that here was a question that could dethrone a super champ, as there's a decided element of luck involved, with the contestants mentally scrolling through a list of almost 200 countries. And unless you've recently studied a list of the ten most populous countries, you might very well cost yourself valuable time thinking first of countries that are large in terms of area.

In any case, congratulations to Rhone, and a hearty "Well played!" to Amy.
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

I got it fairly quickly and was surprised she missed it. But she seemed to be struggling during the music.

Amy probably lost a lot of fans in Baltimore when she mixed up Johnny Unitas and Joe Namath. But Namath was a teammate of Ray Perkins at Alabama so maybe that confused her.

Manning definitely needed a BMS.

The promo on here for the interview with Rhone didn’t clue me in he might be a giant slayer but did think this might be it when he doubted up. Good for him making the right move. Not everyone does that.
Golf

Post by Golf »

VetoTheNeato wrote: Wed Jan 26, 2022 7:45 pm A great game! Was on the edge of my seat the whole time.
No you weren’t. You’re the one that posted several days ago about Rhome doing a Q&A. Nobody cares about a Q&A after being defeated by a superchamp. You knew.
Anachronism

Post by Anachronism »

Since it was sometimes used as a tie-breaker for tournament games in bar trivia, I somewhat memorized country populations. So instant get, but I can understand why it's a tougher one. Looking at the Coryats, obviously, this is why you have to go for it when hitting a Daily Double playing a ToC quality opponent. So, credit to Rhone there.
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

Golf wrote: Wed Jan 26, 2022 8:25 pm
VetoTheNeato wrote: Wed Jan 26, 2022 7:45 pm A great game! Was on the edge of my seat the whole time.
No you weren’t. You’re the one that posted several days ago about Rhome doing a Q&A. Nobody cares about a Q&A after being defeated by a superchamp. You knew.
I wonder when this was taped. He joined on December 16, posts once and not again until he posts yesterday to plug his interview.
brick

Post by brick »

Bamaman wrote: Wed Jan 26, 2022 8:32 pm
I wonder when this was taped. He joined on December 16, posts once and not again until he posts yesterday to plug his interview.
What does it take to be marked a troll?
floridagator

Post by floridagator »

Golf wrote: Wed Jan 26, 2022 1:42 pm Well this result wasn't telegraphed in the least with the thread started a few days back by somebody with 1 prior post regarding a Q&A with an "upcoming Jeopardy contestant" that just happened to dethrone a superchamp.
I reported that to the admin not because it was a spoiler but because all it did was link you to a website that asked you to sign up. The admin dismissed my complaint and let the thread stand.

After a month of complaining about the length of this run, I'm not going to say I'm sorry to see Amy go but I will look forward to seeing her in the Tournament of Champions. What I would wish for the rest of this season is a nice scattering of 2 and 3 and 5 day champions.

I have to hand it to Rhone. He came there to play. He was not cowed. He seemed to be amassing a fortune in Double Jeopardy and hoping to be in position before finding and capturing the Daily Double.

I got Bangladesh within a few seconds. But maybe it's because I'm a Sporcle geography veteran.

There should have been a bms on Manning.

I was semi spoiled on the result of this game because I talked to my parents after Jeopardy airs in their market and they brought up Jeopardy. I said I didn't want to hear anything about Jeopardy because it doesn't air until later here. The only thing I could think they would tell me about Jeopardy was that Amy lost.

MarkBarrett wrote: Wed Jan 26, 2022 1:44 pm
and I had to make a quick switch to Quincy.
I'm not sure why you would switch to a late seventies TV drama when a 40 time Jeopardy champ is playing.
Last edited by floridagator on Wed Jan 26, 2022 8:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I'd rather cuddle then have sex. If you're into grammar, you'll understand.
CailinGaoilge
Location: Ontario, Canada; formerly resident in UK and Ireland

Post by CailinGaoilge »

Linear Gnome wrote: Wed Jan 26, 2022 6:36 pm
Linear Gnome wrote: Fri Jan 14, 2022 9:48 pm Props to Amy for eclipsing Holzhauer's streak. By the end of the next two-day taping session, she will have either been dethroned or made more history (or both, conceivably).
So "both" came in, after all. I'm already excited about the next ToC!

I got a little lucky on today's FJ!. I fell asleep during the commercial break before FJ!, woke up about halfway into the Think! music, and instantly came up with the correct response.

I was a little surprised that Rhone didn't get a ZergCam. I guess he didn't react right away.
He got Zerg in during the Overhead clip, which was even better:

https://www.jeopardy.com/jbuzz/overhear ... ou-all-day
DBear
Denier of Pop Culture

Post by DBear »

:D :D :D :mrgreen: Went thru most populous countries & got to Bangladesh. Surprised that Amy did not get this
waterloo_guy
Valued Contributor

Post by waterloo_guy »

I’m not sure that the Manning response required a BMS. The clue was specifically looking for a Colts QB, so Manning could only be Peyton Manning in that context. If the context had been NFL quarterbacks, then yes, a BMS would be necessary because Archie and Eli would also be possible responses.

I didn’t like that they accepted Barney the Dinosaur as the name of the show.

Finally, am the only one bothered by Ken pretty much telling Rhone he should make it a true Daily Double? I can’t recall Alex ever doing that but I could be wrong.
Last edited by waterloo_guy on Wed Jan 26, 2022 8:56 pm, edited 2 times in total.
squarekara
J! Reactionary

Post by squarekara »

floridagator wrote: Wed Jan 26, 2022 8:33 pm
MarkBarrett wrote: Wed Jan 26, 2022 1:44 pm and I had to make a quick switch to Quincy.
I'm not sure why you would switch to a late seventies TV drama when a 40 time Jeopardy champ is playing.
I can relate. I'd switch in a heartbeat for Hec Ramsey.
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

Bamaman wrote: Wed Jan 26, 2022 8:32 pm
The archive has added tape dates when known. Today was 2021-11-09. Go to the game in the list of games for a season and hover over the date. Go to a specific game and look at the bottom.