Wednesday, January 26, 2022 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

brick
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Re: Wednesday, January 26, 2022 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by brick »

waterloo_guy wrote: Wed Jan 26, 2022 8:52 pm I’m not sure that the Manning response required a BMS. The clue was specifically looking for a Colts QB, so Manning could only be Peyton Manning in that context. If the context had been NFL quarterbacks, then yes, a B
Begging the question.
Woof
Swimming in the Jeopardy! Pool

Post by Woof »

Watching this with my son, I turned to him after Rhones second TDD and said “he’s playing to win. You either play to win or not to lose, but you have to choose.” He’s a good enough poker player to understand the concept, and then we got to see the fateful results of that decision. Well played by Rhone and great run by Amy. This should be one heck of a TOC. For FJ, I could not pull it during Think Music. I knew it was Asia, but I couldn’t think of it until 10-15 sec late. I feel Amy’s pain.
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

For the Barney clue it's reasonable to think Barney alone would have been accepted without prompt. Without checking I suspect SpongeBob would fly for his show?

Adding "the dinosaur" was wrong, but did not really make the response fully incorrect. It looks like previous clues were wiser in only asking for the character and not the show. Expect that the next time he's used.
floridagator

Post by floridagator »

squarekara wrote: Wed Jan 26, 2022 8:54 pm
floridagator wrote: Wed Jan 26, 2022 8:33 pm
MarkBarrett wrote: Wed Jan 26, 2022 1:44 pm and I had to make a quick switch to Quincy.
I'm not sure why you would switch to a late seventies TV drama when a 40 time Jeopardy champ is playing.
I can relate. I'd switch in a heartbeat for Hec Ramsey.
I'd rather cuddle then have sex. If you're into grammar, you'll understand.
squarekara
J! Reactionary

Post by squarekara »

floridagator wrote: Wed Jan 26, 2022 9:01 pm
squarekara wrote: Wed Jan 26, 2022 8:54 pm
floridagator wrote: Wed Jan 26, 2022 8:33 pm
MarkBarrett wrote: Wed Jan 26, 2022 1:44 pm and I had to make a quick switch to Quincy.
I'm not sure why you would switch to a late seventies TV drama when a 40 time Jeopardy champ is playing.
I can relate. I'd switch in a heartbeat for Hec Ramsey.
Love it!!
Xu Donym
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by Xu Donym »

brick wrote: Wed Jan 26, 2022 8:33 pm
Bamaman wrote: Wed Jan 26, 2022 8:32 pm
Golf wrote: Wed Jan 26, 2022 8:25 pm
VetoTheNeato wrote: Wed Jan 26, 2022 7:45 pm A great game! Was on the edge of my seat the whole time.
No you weren’t. You’re the one that posted several days ago about Rhome doing a Q&A. Nobody cares about a Q&A after being defeated by a superchamp. You knew.
I wonder when this was taped. He joined on December 16, posts once and not again until he posts yesterday to plug his interview.
What does it take to be marked a troll?
Not a good look for a new champ and/or his posse. I wonder, thus, just how detailed/picky the contestant NDA is, and what kind of breach allows the show to claw back contestant winnings? Just speculating, but this looks more like how a 1-3 day champion would act, not someone who'll be around for three or more taping days.
opusthepenguin
The Best Darn Penguin on the Whole JBoard

Post by opusthepenguin »

waterloo_guy wrote: Wed Jan 26, 2022 8:52 pm I’m not sure that the Manning response required a BMS. The clue was specifically looking for a Colts QB, so Manning could only be Peyton Manning in that context.
But wouldn't this mean a BMS is never required? After all, the other possibilities are ruled out by specific details in the clue.
twelvefootboy

Post by twelvefootboy »

About 6 PM CST, twelvefootgirl was online and said she had a secret. About an hour later I decided to skip the J! broadcast and carefully opened up the thread to play FJ without seeing the game reveals. I got to Bangladesh pretty quickly after giving up on a terminal "h" after a vowel. Luckily I started with "sh" for some random reason. I didn't even process the populous country TOM. I wasn't planning on reading the game thread until later, but caught the "new champion" verbage and knew what tfg's secret was. So, we watched the episode, and a spoiled game is better than the last several beatdowns.

When the Tom Brady clue showed up, I expected the whole category to be dumbed down to Finster-proof levels (I think that's the right name). I'm embarrassed that I blurted out "Staubach" for the Unitas clue. I knew he was a Cowboy before it vibrated the air. Where's the noise cancelling technology when you need it?

Congrats to Amy on the successful run. The TOC could be must-see TV, but six people will go home the first (taping) day, and it could be the Packers and the Titans - ya'neverknow.
Disclaimer - repeated exposure to author's musings may cause befuddlement.
FS7
Contributor

Post by FS7 »

Interesting how the things you study, the news you follow, or the movies you watch shape your knowledge. I still had the DVR tracker blocking the part of the clue about being the most populous, but the only country with an English name ending in H was immediately Bangladesh to me. I do know that in discussing with population density recently, I discovered that Dhaka by some measures is the most densely populated city in the world - and there's also a lot of people there. Bangladesh isn't that small geographically, and there are a lot of people all over it. I had seen many online pictures of people hanging off of trains, all from Bangladesh. I had watched Extraction at some point, which is set there. I didn't do that well overall today, but I got the FJ instantly. Good and bad.
Ironhorse
Second Banana

Post by Ironhorse »

Xu Donym wrote: Wed Jan 26, 2022 9:11 pm
brick wrote: Wed Jan 26, 2022 8:33 pm
Bamaman wrote: Wed Jan 26, 2022 8:32 pm
Golf wrote: Wed Jan 26, 2022 8:25 pm
VetoTheNeato wrote: Wed Jan 26, 2022 7:45 pm A great game! Was on the edge of my seat the whole time.
No you weren’t. You’re the one that posted several days ago about Rhome doing a Q&A. Nobody cares about a Q&A after being defeated by a superchamp. You knew.
I wonder when this was taped. He joined on December 16, posts once and not again until he posts yesterday to plug his interview.
What does it take to be marked a troll?
Not a good look for a new champ and/or his posse. I wonder, thus, just how detailed/picky the contestant NDA is, and what kind of breach allows the show to claw back contestant winnings? Just speculating, but this looks more like how a 1-3 day champion would act, not someone who'll be around for three or more taping days.
I'm definitely no lawyer but this doesn't strike me as actionable because he never directly claimed to have won. There have been other contestants who have been over the top in promoting their upcoming appearances. I'd say a more obvious tell came from the show's own social media a few years ago. I noticed that the show's official Twitter account had followed Austin Rogers before he won any games.
waterloo_guy
Valued Contributor

Post by waterloo_guy »

opusthepenguin wrote: Wed Jan 26, 2022 9:15 pm
waterloo_guy wrote: Wed Jan 26, 2022 8:52 pm I’m not sure that the Manning response required a BMS. The clue was specifically looking for a Colts QB, so Manning could only be Peyton Manning in that context.
But wouldn't this mean a BMS is never required? After all, the other possibilities are ruled out by specific details in the clue.
Not necessarily. Consider a clue about a US president where the correct response is Andrew Jackson. I think we can all agree that a response of "Jackson" would not require a BMS because he is the only US president with that last name. Or do you feel that there should be a BMS because of the existence of Stonewall Jackson and Michael Jackson?

The Manning clue was specifically looking for a Colts quarterback. Manning is a unique last name in that list. There is no need to give his first name, just as there would have been no need to give Unitas's first name in the $1000 clue in the category.

Now, if the clue had been "Trailing the Patriots 21-3 in the 2006 AFC title game, this quarterback took over and led his team to four second-half touchdowns in a seesaw 38-34 victory," I could definitely see asking for a BMS because the scope is NFL quarterbacks not quarterbacks of a specific team.

Overall, I think it can be a tricky call as to whether or not a BMS is required and it's hard for a little inconsistency not to sneak in.
Xu Donym
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by Xu Donym »

Ironhorse wrote: Wed Jan 26, 2022 10:11 pm
Xu Donym wrote: Wed Jan 26, 2022 9:11 pm Not a good look for a new champ and/or his posse. I wonder, thus, just how detailed/picky the contestant NDA is, and what kind of breach allows the show to claw back contestant winnings? Just speculating, but this looks more like how a 1-3 day champion would act, not someone who'll be around for three or more taping days.
I'm definitely no lawyer but this doesn't strike me as actionable because he never directly claimed to have won. There have been other contestants who have been over the top in promoting their upcoming appearances. I'd say a more obvious tell came from the show's own social media a few years ago. I noticed that the show's official Twitter account had followed Austin Rogers before he won any games.
You are probably right about that. But it doesn't reflect well on the new champ, as there would be no point in how his troll was acting unless the new champ violated confidentiality in his dealings with the troll. And if he himself is the troll, that doesn't reflect well, either. Probably not actionable, but certainly a reputational problem. But, as I speculated, probably something we'll forget about by next week, unless Jeopardy! producers follow through with the interesting idea of having a "giant-buster" Tournament of Champion-Defeaters at which he'll reappear.
davey

Post by davey »

waterloo_guy wrote: Wed Jan 26, 2022 8:52 pm

Finally, am the only one bothered by Ken pretty much telling Rhone he should make it a true Daily Double? I can’t recall Alex ever doing that but I could be wrong.
...and you find yourself in a very interesting situation, Rhone, you've seen Amy play, you have $7800.
This is just Ken stating the obvious, which so many opponents haven't grasped whatever Ken said. Yes, he said I like it after Rhone chose on his own. (Amy says in today's Overheard - a must today - It's the right thing to do, but I've seen several contestants, like, not be able to pull the trigger on that.)
Yes, we have to get rid of J! and its "professionalized" players so we can never be thrilled by competition like this ever again!...
I don't expect to do well at these kinds of meaningless trivia clues, but the correct response popped into my head at about :15. The population part (ok, the less meaningless part) didn't help at all...
I'm also perversely proud of getting Johnny Unitas tonight, though I blanked on Manning... :roll:
The Talking Mime

Post by The Talking Mime »

CailinGaoilge wrote: Wed Jan 26, 2022 8:35 pm
Linear Gnome wrote: Wed Jan 26, 2022 6:36 pm
Linear Gnome wrote: Fri Jan 14, 2022 9:48 pm Props to Amy for eclipsing Holzhauer's streak. By the end of the next two-day taping session, she will have either been dethroned or made more history (or both, conceivably).
So "both" came in, after all. I'm already excited about the next ToC!

I got a little lucky on today's FJ!. I fell asleep during the commercial break before FJ!, woke up about halfway into the Think! music, and instantly came up with the correct response.

I was a little surprised that Rhone didn't get a ZergCam. I guess he didn't react right away.
He got Zerg in during the Overhead clip, which was even better:

https://www.jeopardy.com/jbuzz/overhear ... ou-all-day
How long has it been since we've seen the ZergCam? I miss it. They should bring it back.

FJ was one of those clues that you either know right away or you torture yourself to get the right response. Luckily, I somehow thought of it immediately today. Nice to see Rhone do some strategy and come away with the upset in the process.

Not much to say that's been said about Amy already, but congrats to her for her historic run. I honestly think nobody is catching Ken's 74 wins. Amy's 40 though? Who knows.
"There is much pleasure to be gained from useless knowledge."
-Bertrand Russell
opusthepenguin

Post by opusthepenguin »

waterloo_guy wrote: Wed Jan 26, 2022 10:19 pm Overall, I think it can be a tricky call as to whether or not a BMS is required and it's hard for a little inconsistency not to sneak in.
I snipped the rest for space but your points are all well taken. I agree it's tricky and I've definitely disagreed with decisions in the past to accept "Who is Roosevelt" to refer to whichever president the clue happens to be about, even though the time periods mentioned in the clues narrow it down to only one for those who know. This one feels the same. Yes, Colts pins it, for those who know which Manning played for the Colts. I didn't know for sure, though I leaned strongly toward Peyton. So if I'd been the one ringing in, I'd have gotten it right. But I feel I should have been forced to make that semi-guess rather than getting credit for knowing it's one of them Manning kids.
opusthepenguin

Post by opusthepenguin »

twelvefootboy wrote: Wed Jan 26, 2022 9:29 pm When the Tom Brady clue showed up, I expected the whole category to be dumbed down to Finster-proof levels (I think that's the right name). I'm embarrassed that I blurted out "Staubach" for the Unitas clue. I knew he was a Cowboy before it vibrated the air. Where's the noise cancelling technology when you need it?
Have you considered putting all your comments on a 7 second delay? Then you can quickly hit the Mute button for a few seconds when these things happen.
mxc_takeshi

Post by mxc_takeshi »

46 right.

Lach Trash: Johnny Unitas, Leonardo DiCaprio, Jennifer Love Hewitt, Ionic

DD: Fort Bragg

FJ: :(

Congrats, Rhone!

See you in the TOC, Amy!
Volante
Harbinger of the Doomed Lemur

Post by Volante »

waterloo_guy wrote: Wed Jan 26, 2022 8:52 pm I didn’t like that they accepted Barney the Dinosaur as the name of the show.
I didn't like that they called Barney a reptile
The best thing that Neil Armstrong ever did, was to let us all imagine we were him.
Latest movies (1-10): Everything Everywhere All at Once (10), Ruby Gillman: Teenage Kraken (6), Black Sunday /1960/ (6), Marcel the Shell with Shoes On (7)
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

Strangely, someone posted this video on YouTube today. It concerns the $1000 football clue.

CyrusChan

Post by CyrusChan »

I hope Rhone makes it to the ToC as we'll have a string of Matt, Jonathan, Andrew, Amy, and (Rhone). Can't recall how many other spots are filled..., the five-day winner and Brian Chang along with the professor winner??