Thursday, January 27, 2022 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

alietr
Site Admin

Re: Thursday, January 27, 2022 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by alietr »

trainman wrote: Fri Jan 28, 2022 1:19 am
Robert K S wrote: Thu Jan 27, 2022 7:33 pm I didn't like Ken's pronunciation of "TGV trains" tonight. I would have said "tay jay vay".
Only if you also use the "Paree" pronunciation in the middle of an otherwise-English sentence.
"Zhay", Robair.
Robert K S
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by Robert K S »

alietr wrote: Fri Jan 28, 2022 9:17 am
trainman wrote: Fri Jan 28, 2022 1:19 am
Robert K S wrote: Thu Jan 27, 2022 7:33 pm I didn't like Ken's pronunciation of "TGV trains" tonight. I would have said "tay jay vay".
Only if you also use the "Paree" pronunciation in the middle of an otherwise-English sentence.
"Zhay", Robair.
You got me. It's been a long time.
BobF
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by BobF »

I think I may have misread the intent of the quote. I’m guessing Stuart had already been hired by the time he said that? I was thinking it was kind of a con man type of quote. I think my mind briefly tried to see if I knew who GW’s dentist was.
Was once hugged by Maggie Speak!
opusthepenguin
The Best Darn Penguin on the Whole JBoard

Post by opusthepenguin »

davey wrote: Thu Jan 27, 2022 11:34 pm Even more than the Pearl Buck 3-stump, I was surprised that no one could follow up with Livingstone when Carrie gave him the wrong first name...
Here's the problem I had when Carrie gave the wrong answer. I'd seen the clue and said "Who is Stanley?" from the couch. Then Carrie said "What is Stanley Livingstone" and I thought, wait, Stanley Livingstone? The wrong first name startled me into wondering if that was the reason for the neg. Should I be ringing in to say "Who is DAVID Livingstone?" or did I read the clue correctly and "Who is Stanley?" is still the way to go? Hang on, let me re-read the clue real quick. Under the lights, I could see staying clam because I didn't have time to process all that. If she'd just said "Who is Livingstone?", I'd have been mashing the rebound buzzer like nobody's business.

Pearl Buck, though. Yeah.
opusthepenguin

Post by opusthepenguin »

MattKnowles wrote: Thu Jan 27, 2022 11:44 pm I couldn't think of anybody who made a fortune from George Washington and went with Astor as somebody who made a fortune around that time.
That's not a bad thought. Washington could've been used as a stand-in (metonymy? synecdoche? I could go either way) for the newly established United States.
opusthepenguin

Post by opusthepenguin »

seaborgium wrote: Thu Jan 27, 2022 11:54 pm
floridagator wrote: Thu Jan 27, 2022 7:57 pm
Austin Powers wrote: Thu Jan 27, 2022 3:25 pm I said James Hoban.
So did I, and immediately thought it was too obscure for Jeopardy but couldn't come up with anything better.
I did too; however...
Good recall! To be fair, that's a TOC game. Even there it feels kind of unfair to spring that in a quarterfinal when wildcards are in play. On the other hand, one of the contestants did get it right, which is more than you can say for the FJ in Monday's quarterfinal for that tournament. That one seemed like a slam dunk gimme to me but all three contestants whiffed.

Looking at the rest of the quarterfinals in that TOC, the one you cite doesn't seem out of place. (If it seems a little rougher to me, that's just because it's the only one I would have missed.) The outlier seems to be Tuesday's FJ, which was a triple get. All the others had at most one get. This feels unusual to me. I expect tournaments to have 4 relatively easy FJs and one stinker. Maybe that's confirmation bias and I'm just remembering the ones where I complain. Or selection and recency bias if that kind of thing has been happening more in the last 10 years.
opusthepenguin

Post by opusthepenguin »

Lefty wrote: Thu Jan 27, 2022 11:54 pm
I thought "hold on to your hats" suggested Panama, but I guess Frenchmen all wear berets.
And those striped shirts!
Lefty wrote: Thu Jan 27, 2022 11:54 pmI don't see Mach 2 as much of a milestone. I guessed Crossfield must have broken the taste barrier or the smell barrier.
Mrs P and I both jokingly called out "What is the speed of light?" We were made for each other.
davey

Post by davey »

opusthepenguin wrote: Fri Jan 28, 2022 11:37 am
davey wrote: Thu Jan 27, 2022 11:34 pm Even more than the Pearl Buck 3-stump, I was surprised that no one could follow up with Livingstone when Carrie gave him the wrong first name...
Here's the problem I had when Carrie gave the wrong answer. I'd seen the clue and said "Who is Stanley?" from the couch. Then Carrie said "What is Stanley Livingstone" and I thought, wait, Stanley Livingstone? The wrong first name startled me into wondering if that was the reason for the neg. Should I be ringing in to say "Who is DAVID Livingstone?" or did I read the clue correctly and "Who is Stanley?" is still the way to go? Hang on, let me re-read the clue real quick. Under the lights, I could see staying clam because I didn't have time to process all that. If she'd just said "Who is Livingstone?", I'd have been mashing the rebound buzzer like nobody's business.
If she'd said "Who is Livingstone?" she'd have been correct. "Stanley" is used twice in the clue.
I forget, since Carrie responded with the wrong first name, can I repeat the last name for a get or do I have to correct her mistake with the right first name? I was assuming the former, since I'm not absolutely sure I'd have remembered "David." It's a little more understandable a lapse.
Last edited by davey on Fri Jan 28, 2022 12:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
davey

Post by davey »

I thought TGV was a generic term so I said Japan for the first bullet train. If Ken had pronounced it Frenchily at least I don't make that mistake....
opusthepenguin

Post by opusthepenguin »

davey wrote: Fri Jan 28, 2022 12:09 pm
opusthepenguin wrote: Fri Jan 28, 2022 11:37 am
If she'd said "Who is Livingstone?" she'd have been correct. "Stanley" is used twice in the clue.
I forget, since Carrie responded with the wrong first name, can I repeat the last name for a get or do I have to correct her mistake with the right first name? I was assuming the former, since I'm not absolutely sure I'd have remembered "David." It's a little more understandable a lapse.
See? I got confused with no time limit, just trying to reconstruct my thoughts. (It feels like you and I have been trading off time in the Derp seat lately.) Yeah, I had the correct response initially. I really got thrown off by that wrong first name. I believe we've had instances where a last name only was not accepted after a wrong first name was provided. I even vaguely recall Alex at least once connecting the dots and saying, since N. gave an incorrect first name, we need the whole correct name from you. BUT my vague recollection was this was in the earlier days and in later games they HAVE accepted just the last name on rebound. Maybe one of our stats guys or color commentators will recall details that confirm or refute this.
BobF

Post by BobF »

opusthepenguin wrote: Fri Jan 28, 2022 12:07 pm
Lefty wrote: Thu Jan 27, 2022 11:54 pm
I thought "hold on to your hats" suggested Panama, but I guess Frenchmen all wear berets.
And those striped shirts!
Lefty wrote: Thu Jan 27, 2022 11:54 pmI don't see Mach 2 as much of a milestone. I guessed Crossfield must have broken the taste barrier or the smell barrier.
Mrs P and I both jokingly called out "What is the speed of light?" We were made for each other.
Though I “knew” it was Mach 2 I made the same joke to my GF.
Was once hugged by Maggie Speak!
DBear
Denier of Pop Culture

Post by DBear »

:D :D :o :( Is the Jane Austen Book Club a well-known piece of lit? NHOI,responded Dead Poets' Society.
Add me to the Parson Weems contingent. Gilbert Stuart never stuck in my head, so no chance on FJ :oops:
Disappointed that Rhone was 1 & done. I was hoping he'd win at least a few games :|
earendel

Post by earendel »

I knew it was the painter but couldn't remember his name. I wonder if "made a fortune" was supposed to be TOM since Stuart's portrait is used on the dollar bill.
"Elen sila lumenn omentielvo...A star shines on the hour of our meeting."
davey

Post by davey »

DBear wrote: Fri Jan 28, 2022 5:14 pm Is the Jane Austen Book Club a well-known piece of lit? NHOI,responded Dead Poets' Society.
It was a best seller and was made into a movie in 2007. Those make it into a typical "literary" J! clue...
opusthepenguin

Post by opusthepenguin »

Someone on Reddit made this observation and I attempted a graphic to go with it:

seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns

Post by seaborgium »

opusthepenguin wrote: Sat Jan 29, 2022 12:05 am Someone on Reddit made this observation and I attempted a graphic to go with it:

Put Erin Garratt and Jonathan Greenstein in the purple (lost to Emma Boettcher in her third game), and Bren Inman, Megan McAllen, Jim Hope, Elspeth Green, A.C. Hawley, Damian Henri, Tim Courchaine, Randie Kim, Jaime Mahoney, Catherine Allen, Lenzy Krehbiel-Burton, Ken Hinton, Kristen Meinhold, Robert Campbell, Linda Fabrizio, Christopher Barger, Rosemary Foster, Cynthia Edmonds, Isaac Segal, Cathy Glassman, Judy Pinder, Peter Blatman, Charley Horan, and Roberta Simon in the orange (lost after playing an FJ round with the category COUNTRIES OF THE WORLD, before a game in which the returning champ lost)!

Notes:
Rhone is the only player introduced as a librarian from Chicago to play a COUNTRIES OF THE WORLD FJ, so only Amy fits the green section thus far.

The orange group is an exhaustive set from J! Archive. My reading is a generous one; these are all contestants who played a COTW FJ and lost (to a player who lost a game later), but not all of them lost because they got it wrong. (This feels fine to me, because Matt still loses game 39 with a correct response.) The one exclusion I made was contestants eliminated before FJ.
Volante
Harbinger of the Doomed Lemur

Post by Volante »

seaborgium wrote: Sat Jan 29, 2022 3:05 am Notes:
Rhone is the only player introduced as a librarian from Chicago to play a COUNTRIES OF THE WORLD FJ, so only Amy fits the green section thus far.
Janice Hawthorne Timm? Or are we only counting at least one game winners?
(I mean...there's likely more that can fit in all colors other than the center...err...*quick Google* Reuleaux triangle)
Last edited by Volante on Sat Jan 29, 2022 10:52 am, edited 1 time in total.
The best thing that Neil Armstrong ever did, was to let us all imagine we were him.
Latest movies (1-10): WIthnail & I (7), An Autumn Afternoon (7), Europa Europa (7), Tampopo (9)
opusthepenguin

Post by opusthepenguin »

seaborgium wrote: Sat Jan 29, 2022 3:05 am
Spoiler
opusthepenguin wrote: Sat Jan 29, 2022 12:05 am Someone on Reddit made this observation and I attempted a graphic to go with it:

Put Erin Garratt and Jonathan Greenstein in the purple (lost to Emma Boettcher in her third game), and Bren Inman, Megan McAllen, Jim Hope, Elspeth Green, A.C. Hawley, Damian Henri, Tim Courchaine, Randie Kim, Jaime Mahoney, Catherine Allen, Lenzy Krehbiel-Burton, Ken Hinton, Kristen Meinhold, Robert Campbell, Linda Fabrizio, Christopher Barger, Rosemary Foster, Cynthia Edmonds, Isaac Segal, Cathy Glassman, Judy Pinder, Peter Blatman, Charley Horan, and Roberta Simon in the orange (lost after playing an FJ round with the category COUNTRIES OF THE WORLD, before a game in which the returning champ lost)!

Notes:

The orange group is an exhaustive set from J! Archive. My reading is a generous one; these are all contestants who played a COTW FJ and lost (to a player who lost a game later), but not all of them lost because they got it wrong. (This feels fine to me, because Matt still loses game 39 with a correct response.) The one exclusion I made was contestants eliminated before FJ.
Nice work! All fixed. :D
Spoiler
opusthepenguin

Post by opusthepenguin »

Volante wrote: Sat Jan 29, 2022 10:49 am
(I mean...there's likely more that can fit in all colors other than the center...err...*quick Google* Reuleaux triangle)
Janice Hawthorne Timm would go in the Reuleaux triangle. (I'm really tickled to learn that the shape has a name.)
Volante
Harbinger of the Doomed Lemur

Post by Volante »

opusthepenguin wrote: Sat Jan 29, 2022 11:29 am
Volante wrote: Sat Jan 29, 2022 10:49 am
Janice Hawthorne Timm would go in the Reuleaux triangle. (I'm really tickled to learn that the shape has a name.)
Ahh, top part didn't grok (likely cause it scrolled off screen and then I had to go read the rotary motor wiki (which is where I knew the shape from))
The best thing that Neil Armstrong ever did, was to let us all imagine we were him.
Latest movies (1-10): WIthnail & I (7), An Autumn Afternoon (7), Europa Europa (7), Tampopo (9)