Wednesday, March 9, 2022 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

DBear
Denier of Pop Culture

Re: Wednesday, March 9, 2022 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by DBear »

DysonSphere wrote: Wed Mar 09, 2022 8:55 pm Is 16 triple stumpers a record?
Not even close. This game from the UToC had 24, and only one player in FJ.
davey
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by davey »

I said Millay, thinking she died close to 1925...but it turns out she survived to 1950. There must be a reference to dust in the candle burns at both ends poem, I thought, not remembering that that poem is just the 4 lines about the candle...
I knew Parker lived to the late 60s so didn't really consider her, but I wish I had remembered the "Excuse my dust" line - as others have said, the clue was easy to misinterpret...
Of course Parker was a poet...
Razors pain you;
Rivers are damp;
Acids stain you;
And drugs cause cramp.
Guns aren’t lawful;
Nooses give;
Gas smells awful;
You might as well live.

as well as
Men seldom make passes
At girls who wear glasses.

I suppose both of these would cause a Twitter storm if published today...
Bob78164
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by Bob78164 »

This game is a draw for the Strong Form of Shore’s Conjecture. The second-place player bet “small.” —Bob
Lefty

Post by Lefty »

Sounds like the UK might have hung onto Barbados if Elizabeth were willing to recognize Rihanna? They have different talents but neither is better. I hope it wasn't jealousy.

Genesis foundational for "not just Christians". Jews, I know. Anyone else?

Slowtime at the Apollo! I did outperform the contestants but I'd only have got "Saturn" if the V was optional, and Descartes, for me, was just the most obvious French philosopher of the given century.

I'd like to have the name of Rembrandt's son at my fingertips, but I don't think I'd name my own son for his just to remind me.

FJ felt up my alley but actually it's three blocks away. I never got "excuse my dust"; I could see that it's irreverent but what's the joke? But I learned recently it was based on an automobile ad of the day.
I'm smart and I want respect.
Woof
Swimming in the Jeopardy! Pool

Post by Woof »

davey wrote: Wed Mar 09, 2022 9:53 pm I said Millay, thinking she died close to 1925...but it turns out she survived to 1950. There must be a reference to dust in the candle burns at both ends poem, I thought, not remembering that that poem is just the 4 lines about the candle...
I knew Parker lived to the late 60s so didn't really consider her, but I wish I had remembered the "Excuse my dust" line - as others have said, the clue was easy to misinterpret...
Of course Parker was a poet...
Razors pain you;
Rivers are damp;
Acids stain you;
And drugs cause cramp.
Guns aren’t lawful;
Nooses give;
Gas smells awful;
You might as well live.

as well as
Men seldom make passes
At girls who wear glasses.

I suppose both of these would cause a Twitter storm if published today...
And don’t forget my favorite:

I like to have a Martini,

Two at the very most.

After three I’m under the table,

After four I’m under my host
Xu Donym
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by Xu Donym »

DBear wrote: Wed Mar 09, 2022 9:40 pm
I remember that within the last year there was a 17-TS game in regular season play.
twelvefootboy

Post by twelvefootboy »

I picked Elizabeth B Browning without being able to think of any other candidates. Congrats to Maureen for the save. That FJ is worth 9 grand.

This was a messy game, but way more watchable than a typical Mega-champ beatdown. The Apollo category - yikes. By coincidence, I just googled the list of living Moon walkers and we are down to four, with Buzz Aldrin hanging in there.
Spoiler
Aldrin (Apollo 11), David Scott (Apollo 15), Charles Duke (Apollo 16), and Harrison Schmitt (Apollo 17).
. I never think of Descartes as a philosopher first - it's his namesake Cartesian coordinates that sticks.

Ken is a great host. He tried to deflect from the embarrassing Genesis TS by saying that he thought that they read the Creation story. I gather from the clue writing that Islam, Judaism, and Christianity were the plural religions that share the Genesis myth.
Disclaimer - repeated exposure to author's musings may cause befuddlement.
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

Xu Donym wrote: Wed Mar 09, 2022 10:22 pm
DBear wrote: Wed Mar 09, 2022 9:40 pm
I remember that within the last year there was a 17-TS game in regular season play.
Yup: viewtopic.php?f=1&t=6509
Lefty

Post by Lefty »

Woof wrote: Wed Mar 09, 2022 10:14 pm

And don’t forget my favorite:

I like to have a Martini,

Two at the very most.

After three I’m under the table,

After four I’m under my host
This article casts doubt on Parker's authorship, and I must say I share the doubt. The meter is awfully ragged, and an original source remains elusive. It did apparently appear in an edition of the Portable Dorothy Parker, based simply on its frequent attribution to her.
I'm smart and I want respect.
RetiredDoc

Post by RetiredDoc »

Got FJ (not sure how) after eliminating Dickinson.

They sure do love Grandma Moses (almost as much as Pearl Buck)
This Is Kirk!
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by This Is Kirk! »

doihavetoreally wrote: Wed Mar 09, 2022 2:04 pm Aldrin TS reminded me of Tom Hanks TS a few months ago. At that time it was a issue with display (as I remember). There is no excuse today.
As my wife said, "all those astronauts look exactly the same." Fair point. Not exactly a lot of diversity in those 1960s guys.
goongas

Post by goongas »

I thought of Parker but dismissed her because I didn't think of "Pardon my dust", and went with Dickinson. The second place contestant tomorrow might bet nothing.
davey

Post by davey »

This Is Kirk! wrote: Wed Mar 09, 2022 11:30 pm
doihavetoreally wrote: Wed Mar 09, 2022 2:04 pm Aldrin TS reminded me of Tom Hanks TS a few months ago. At that time it was a issue with display (as I remember). There is no excuse today.
As my wife said, "all those astronauts look exactly the same." Fair point. Not exactly a lot of diversity in those 1960s guys.
The clue said "second man on the moon," so nobody had to recognize him.
floridagator

Post by floridagator »

Absolutely mind blowing that Aldrin was a TS even with a photo.

Ken must know probably doesn't know the preferred pronunciation my preferred pronunciation of visage is veeSAHJ.

In no way was Earl Warren ever a legal scholar. He was never any kind of professor and he began and ended his judicial career as chief Justice of the United States.

The very pregnant Shelley Vinyard has an e in her first name she doesn't need and is missing one in her last name.
Last edited by floridagator on Thu Mar 10, 2022 3:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I'd rather cuddle then have sex. If you're into grammar, you'll understand.
seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns

Post by seaborgium »

floridagator wrote: Thu Mar 10, 2022 5:27 am Ken must know the preferred pronunciation of visage is veeSAHJ.
You must have the most incorrect pronouncements per post of any regular poster here. I can't find a single English dictionary that offers that pronunciation, even as an alternative. (At least you didn't directly contrast Ken with Alex, as you did that one time regarding err—appropriately enough. Anyway, Alex only said it once during the time I've faithfully been recording and saving episodes, on January 29, 2020, and I missed recording that episode.)
This Is Kirk!
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by This Is Kirk! »

seaborgium wrote: Thu Mar 10, 2022 6:37 am
floridagator wrote: Thu Mar 10, 2022 5:27 am Ken must know the preferred pronunciation of visage is veeSAHJ.
You must have the most incorrect pronouncements per post of any regular poster here. I can't find a single English dictionary that offers that pronunciation, even as an alternative. (At least you didn't directly contrast Ken with Alex, as you did that one time regarding err—appropriately enough. Anyway, Alex only said it once during the time I've faithfully been recording and saving episodes, on January 29, 2020, and I missed recording that episode.)
Agreed. I can't say I ever recall an American pronouncing it the way floridagator tells us is the preferred way.
floridagator

Post by floridagator »

This Is Kirk! wrote: Thu Mar 10, 2022 9:50 am
seaborgium wrote: Thu Mar 10, 2022 6:37 am
Agreed. I can't say I ever recall an American pronouncing it the way floridagator tells us is the preferred way.
I have edited my statement. And Dorothy Parker was abominable.
I'd rather cuddle then have sex. If you're into grammar, you'll understand.
gobobbygo
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by gobobbygo »

floridagator wrote: Thu Mar 10, 2022 5:27 am The very pregnant Shelley Vinyard has an e in her first name she doesn't need and is missing one in her last name.
We're policing how people spell their names now?
alietr
Site Admin

Post by alietr »

Can anyone speculate on why chifferobe was not accepted? We fully expected a reversal. The only thing I can think of is that it can't be traced to the 16th century, but that would be pretty bogus.
davey

Post by davey »

alietr wrote: Fri Mar 11, 2022 9:38 am Can anyone speculate on why chifferobe was not accepted? We fully expected a reversal. The only thing I can think of is that it can't be traced to the 16th century, but that would be pretty bogus.
Yes - the word may not even come from France. Maybe it was invented by Sears, Roebuck. The first usage recorded is in their 1908 catalog-
1908 Sears, Roebuck Catal. No. 117. 419/1 The chifforobes as illustrated on this page are a modern invention, having been in use only a short time.
That's unfortunate for Sallie but not bogus.
Also, googling difference between armoire and chifforobe (chifferobe is a variant spelling) shows there is a difference.