Opus Memorial Fourth Podium Poll - Wed, March 9

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

Which of these clues did you get?

SJ4 $800 IN RECENT NEWS: In 2021 Magdalena Andersson became the 1st female P.M. of this nation, quit after a few hours, then reclaimed the job days later
54%
SJ7 $1000 FURNITURE: This other name for a sideboard comes from the Italian, & would you take out the dishes from it, please?
20%
SJ17 $1000 "CAT" GOT YOUR TONGUE: If a person has made you one of these, you've become an unwitting accomplice
11%
SJ22 $400 THE APOLLO PROGRAM: A combat pilot during the Korean War, about 20 years later, he became the second man on the Moon
87%
SJ23 $600 THE APOLLO PROGRAM: On Christmas Eve 1968, the Apollo 8 crew read aloud from this book of the Bible, as it is foundational for not just Christians
74%
SJ24 $800 THE APOLLO PROGRAM: This powerful rocket with a planetary name lifted the manned Apollo missions towards the Moon
72%
SJ25 $1000 THE APOLLO PROGRAM: Apollo 16 landed in mountainous Moon terrain, in highlands named for this French 17th century philosopher
41%
DJ3 $800 FROM THE STATE SONG: "Out by the Truckee's silvery rills... right in the heart of the golden west"
48%
DJ5 DD2 SO THAT'S WHAT THEY LOOKED LIKE: After a lifetime of farming, this woman was nearly 80 when a collector bought 15 of her artworks in 1938
94%
DJ6 $2000 SO THAT'S WHAT THEY LOOKED LIKE: This mathematician, a 1994 Nobel Prize winner in economics, became the world's most famous game theorist
63%
DJ9 $1600 3 CONSECUTIVE CONSONANTS: From Yiddish, it means to make small talk or chat someone up
30%
DJ11 $1600 NAMES IN POP CULTURE: Named after Rembrandt's son, Titus Welliver plays this TV cop with the same name as another painter
43%
DJ12 $2000 NAMES IN POP CULTURE: He's the adorable Mogwai from "Gremlins" who's voiced by Howie Mandel
33%
DJ15 $1600 EPONYMOUS BODY PARTS: Located in the brain's frontal lobe, Broca's area has functions linked to this very human activity
41%
DJ17 $2000 3 CONSECUTIVE CONSONANTS: It's the 14-letter term for the arrangement of sedimentary rocks in distinct layers, as seen here
28%
DJ21 $1200 DYNASTIES OF CHINA: Around 1000 A.D. during the Song dynasty, neo-this ancient philosophy was introduced as official doctrine
63%
DJ23 $2000 DYNASTIES OF CHINA: This 3-letter dynasty ruled from around 200 B.C. to 200 A.D. & saw the invention of paper & the introduction of Buddhism
41%
FJ EPITAPHS: Her epitaph, from a 1925 poem by her, ends, "She knows that her dust is very pretty"; "dust" was in another she wrote for herself
22%

Total votes: 54

Woof
Swimming in the Jeopardy! Pool

Opus Memorial Fourth Podium Poll - Wed, March 9

Post by Woof »

Maureen gets the victory in a game marred by 16 Triple Stumpers and a missed Daily Double. Maureen went into FJ with $9000, but there is $20,200 in Lach trash plus a Daily Double for the taking. Did you amass enough to prevail over the champ?

Answers:
Spoiler
Sweden
credenza
cat's paw
Buzz Aldrin
Genesis
Saturn V
Rene Descartes
Nevada
Grandma Moses
John Nash
schmooze
Harry Bosch
Gizmo
speech
stratification
Confucianism
Han
Dorothy Parker
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Re: Opus Memorial Fourth Podium Poll - Wed, March 9

Post by econgator »

Woof wrote: Thu Mar 10, 2022 5:50 pm Did you amass enough to prevail over the champ?
Nope
Woof
Swimming in the Jeopardy! Pool

Post by Woof »

:mrgreen: :mrgreen: :| :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
:mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :| :| :| :mrgreen: :| :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
:(

$12,200 in Lach trash + a converted DD2 would give me $17,600 going in to FJ. Since that's not quite enough for a lock, a bet of $501 in FJ would result in my losing to Maureen's successful all-in.
LucarioSnooperVixey
Carrying Letters and Lemons

Post by LucarioSnooperVixey »

:mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :( :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
Douglas Squasoni
MarkBarrett
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by MarkBarrett »

$5600, DD2 and missed the FJ! clue. Not a game I win no matter where I'm standing unless I'm lucky enough to utilize my 3/3 on DDs.
Plactus

Post by Plactus »

All but credenza, Descartes, and Parker, which by my math gives me $18,400, enough for a lock.
Oh, what has science wrought? I sought only to turn a man into a metal-encased juggernaut of destruction powered by the unknown properties of a mysterious living crystal. How could this have all gone wrong?
DBear
Denier of Pop Culture

Post by DBear »

:mrgreen: :| :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :| :| :| :mrgreen: :| :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :(
Woulda had 10600 going into the Art of War DD, having control with Confucius. You bet I woulda gone all in. So yeah, I got the lock even if I guess Dickenson for FJ. 8-)
Still kicking myself for not getting Nash, tho. :(
threearruda

Post by threearruda »

$11,200 + 3/3 DD and I would've had control for DD3 = a crush lead at worst. Matched Maureen with a correct response in FJ to seal the win!
J! S39 - 1/27-2/1. '24 ToC ???

5x TD champ - 7x TD host
AFRET CMS
JBOARDIE OF THE MONTH!

Post by AFRET CMS »

:mrgreen: :( :( :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :(
:mrgreen: :mrgreen: :( :( :mrgreen: :( :( :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
:(

Assuming a TDD, $13,000 going into FJ. Not enough to beat Maureen's correct response.
I'm not the defending Jeopardy! champion. But I have played one on TV.
brick

Post by brick »

Seeing "Opus Memorial" scared me! Yikes!

I was particularly happy to get Credenza and run that category when my partner, who sells furniture, didn't. A game where I get to say "IN YOUR FACE" is always a good game.
Peter the accountant

Post by Peter the accountant »

Cleaning up in the Apollo program, plus a couple of other right answers puts me $200 ahead of the champ going into FJ. I crash and burn there, leaving me with nothing but a handshake on my way out the door.
--Peter
opusthepenguin
The Best Darn Penguin on the Whole JBoard

Post by opusthepenguin »

brick wrote: Fri Mar 11, 2022 5:38 pm Seeing "Opus Memorial" scared me! Yikes!
It's only temporary! I show up again after Easter... like another famous person. :D
opusthepenguin
The Best Darn Penguin on the Whole JBoard

Post by opusthepenguin »

:mrgreen: :mrgreen: :| :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :| :|
:mrgreen: :mrgreen: :| :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :| :mrgreen: :| :| :|
:mrgreen:

Many thanks to Woof for such a fine memorial! I lieu of flowers, please send herring bouquets.

I officially clammed on two or three where I unofficially made the correct guess. So I get $8400 for sure plus a shot at DD2. I would've had $3600 going into DD2 and needed to wager at least $601 of it to win this game with my correct FJ response. I almost certainly would have made more than that minimum wager, so I'm counting this as a fourth podium win. I knew the "Excuse My Dust" anecdote about Dorothy Parker. The clue becomes much more difficult without that knowledge.