FJs for the 3/7/22 week

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

Which FJ! clues did you solve correctly for the 3/7/22 week?

Poll ended at Sun Oct 23, 2022 8:50 pm

A small river connects these 2 lakes that combined form close to 10% of their country's area
63%
Characters Mark, Roger & Maureen in this musical were inspired by Marcello, Rodolfo & Musetta in another work
68%
Her epitaph, from a 1925 poem by her, ends, "She knows that her dust is very pretty"; "dust" was in another she wrote for herself
18%
On her acquittal in 1893, a reporter cited nearby events 2 centuries earlier, saying the days of witch trials are over
85%
This U.S. politician asked for a multicolored pennant for a parade; demand increased after his death in 1978
85%
:mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:  I checked all five above.
10%
:( :( :( :( :(  I missed all the FJ! clues.
3%
MOUNTAINS $1000: Referring to its shape, this peak on which Brazil's Christ the Redeemer Statue stands has a name meaning "hunchback"
16%
PEOPLE IN SCIENCE $2000: Sir Isaac Newton had a famous dispute with this German philosopher & mathematician over who invented calculus first
62%
SUBURBS OF CHICAGO $1000: In the 1970s the Supreme Court refused to stop a demonstration by Nazis in this Chicago suburb
42%
For the Monday FJ! clue I had Lake Nicaragua but not Lake Managua.
15%
For the Monday FJ! clue I had Lake Manague but not Lake Nicaragua.
1%
I have seen a stage production of Rent.
14%
I have seen a movie and/or TV version of Rent..
14%
Emily Dickinson was my incorrect guess for the Wednesday FJ! clue.
29%
Slyvia Plath was my incorrect guess for the Wednesday FJ! clue.
9%
Edna St. Vincent Millay was my incorrect guess for the Wednesday FJ! clue.
9%
I live or have lived in San Francisco and still missed the Friday FJ! clue.
1%

Total votes: 79

MarkBarrett
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

FJs for the 3/7/22 week

Post by MarkBarrett »

3/7 FINAL JEOPARDY! CATEGORY
CENTRAL AMERICA

3/7 FINAL JEOPARDY! CLUE
A small river connects these 2 lakes that combined form close to 10% of their country's area

3/8 FINAL JEOPARDY! CATEGORY
BROADWAY MUSICALS

3/8 FINAL JEOPARDY! CLUE
Characters Mark, Roger & Maureen in this musical were inspired by Marcello, Rodolfo & Musetta in another work

3/9 FINAL JEOPARDY! CATEGORY
EPITAPHS

3/9 FINAL JEOPARDY! CLUE
Her epitaph, from a 1925 poem by her, ends, "She knows that her dust is very pretty"; "dust" was in another she wrote for herself

3/10 FINAL JEOPARDY! CATEGORY
FAMOUS TRIALS

3/10 FINAL JEOPARDY! CLUE
On her acquittal in 1893, a reporter cited nearby events 2 centuries earlier, saying the days of witch trials are over

3/11 FINAL JEOPARDY! CATEGORY
SYMBOLS

3/11 FINAL JEOPARDY! CLUE
This U.S. politician asked for a multicolored pennant for a parade; demand increased after his death in 1978

Correct responses in spoiler box:
Spoiler
Lake Nicaragua & Lake Managua
Rent
Dorothy Parker
Lizzie Borden
Harvey Milk
The players were 5/13 (38.46%) with a 0-2-1-1-1 success pattern.

The extra clues have two triple stumpers followed by one a player got correct.

MOUNTAINS $1000: Referring to its shape, this peak on which Brazil's Christ the Redeemer Statue stands has a name meaning "hunchback"

PEOPLE IN SCIENCE $2000: Sir Isaac Newton had a famous dispute with this German philosopher & mathematician over who invented calculus first

SUBURBS OF CHICAGO $1000: In the 1970s the Supreme Court refused to stop a demonstration by Nazis in this Chicago suburb

Correct responses in spoiler box:
Spoiler
Corcovado
(Gottfried) Liebniz
Skokie
MarkBarrett

Re: FJs for the 3/7/22 week

Post by MarkBarrett »

:mrgreen: :mrgreen: :( :mrgreen: :(
:mrgreen: :mrgreen: :(

Dickinson
No guess on Friday even with home field advantage

No way I was going to recall Skokie

“Seasons of Love” part of a Broadway Sunday church service closest I’ve been to Rent
Plactus

Post by Plactus »

:( :mrgreen: :( :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
:( :mrgreen: :(

No guess (didn't even try); Plath (didn't like the years but nothing else was clicking).

I've seen both a touring production of Rent and the 2005 movie.
Oh, what has science wrought? I sought only to turn a man into a metal-encased juggernaut of destruction powered by the unknown properties of a mysterious living crystal. How could this have all gone wrong?
Volante
Harbinger of the Doomed Lemur

Post by Volante »

:mrgreen: :mrgreen: :( :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
:| :mrgreen: :|

Wed - Dickinson, after discounting Woolf

Gonna be a while before I get to Rent; it's 201st on my queue
Last edited by Volante on Sat Mar 12, 2022 8:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
The best thing that Neil Armstrong ever did, was to let us all imagine we were him.
Latest movies (1-10): Everything Everywhere All at Once (10), Ruby Gillman: Teenage Kraken (6), Black Sunday /1960/ (6), Marcel the Shell with Shoes On (7)
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

Plath
Never seen Rent
DBear
Denier of Pop Culture

Post by DBear »

:mrgreen: :mrgreen: :( (Dickenson) :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
:| :oops: (Linnaeus for Liebnitz) :mrgreen:
LucarioSnooperVixey
Carrying Letters and Lemons

Post by LucarioSnooperVixey »

:mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
:mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
Douglas Squasoni
davey

Post by davey »

:( :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
Some folks wanted to change the Fri clue. I would change Wed (the one with the crashing get rate so far) to category Twentieth Century Epitaphs and take the year out of the clue. Then I might have gotten it. Or maybe not. At least E. St. V. Millay is a 20th C. Poet.
Saw Rent on Broadway and TV.
RetiredDoc

Post by RetiredDoc »

:( :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
:( :( :mrgreen:
This Is Kirk!
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by This Is Kirk! »

Corcovado and Skokie both seemed awfully obscure to me.
seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns

Post by seaborgium »

I think I knew Monday's thanks to a prior FJ clue asking for the country whose two largest lakes were named for it and its capital. I had Kiss Me, Kate at first on Tuesday, figuring the names all looked Italian enough and that the writers must be avoiding the too-obvious main characters (particularly the one whose name contains 40% of the musical title). Then I came up with La Bohème and realized Rodolfo rang a bell for that, and it was a simple step to Rent from there. Parker was an instaget, Borden was a precall. I think I've heard the story of Milk and the rainbow flag before.
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

These were gettable, I just couldn't put them together.

Only got Skokie.
Leander

Post by Leander »

:( :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

No guess on the poet
Have never seen Rent, but familiar with the link to La Boheme
Used to live near Skokie, not missing that one
Lefty

Post by Lefty »

----:( :mrgreen: :mrgreen:----

Mimi is the only "La Boheme" name I'm sure I knew, but those other three together had a combined effect. I never have seen either the opera or the musical.

I have seen Dorothy Parker's tombstone. I guess it edges this clue for the nearest FJ to me geographically (I lived in a different Bronk at that time).

I also felt Skokie seemed kind of obscure, but I'm such a genius that I knew it anyway. It helped that we lived not so far away at the time, and in fact a couple of former neighbors lived and even were murdered there. So it goes.
I'm smart and I want respect.
davey

Post by davey »

Skokie is certainly not obscure if you're old enough. There was even a celebrated TV movie about the case in 1981 called Skokie. I still remember that it featured Danny Kaye's last film appearance. (I suppose he's obscure these days too.)
Woof
Swimming in the Jeopardy! Pool

Post by Woof »

davey wrote: Sun Mar 13, 2022 3:46 am Skokie is certainly not obscure if you're old enough. There was even a celebrated TV movie about the case in 1981 called Skokie. I still remember that it featured Danny Kaye's last film appearance. (I suppose he's obscure these days too.)
Yeah, it made national news at the time (and got a passing reference in the Blues Brothers movie). I recall a good deal of outrage at the ACLU for defending the Nazis’ right to free speech and demonstration in court.
twelvefootboy

Post by twelvefootboy »

[BOX OF CLAM]
:cry: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

I wasn't ambushed by this weeks box of shame. Technically I didn't miss any since I had no guesses except for half of the Monday clue (lake Nicaragua). Is there a box of clam option? My forecast of 45% for the Harvey Milk clue is only off by half. The boardies here never cease to amaze.

I always pronounced Leibniz with a long "I" (Libe - niz) sound but KJ used the long "E" (Leeb - niz). (btw, the name misspelled as Liebniz in the spoiler). I will go with Ken from now on. I before e be damned.

I knew Skokie from the national news hype. I had forgotten about the ACLU stepping up to defend the early pre-natal MAGA rally. Good for them. And they didn't have to organize a convoy of trucks :roll: .
Disclaimer - repeated exposure to author's musings may cause befuddlement.
leszekp
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by leszekp »

twelvefootboy wrote: Sun Mar 13, 2022 1:50 pm

I always pronounced Leibniz with a long "I" (Libe - niz) sound but KJ used the long "E" (Leeb - niz). (btw, the name misspelled as Liebniz in the spoiler). I will go with Ken from now on. I before e be damned.
Jennings is wrong - correct pronunciation is "Libe-niz" (or Libe-nitz).
This Is Kirk!
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by This Is Kirk! »

Woof wrote: Sun Mar 13, 2022 11:11 am
davey wrote: Sun Mar 13, 2022 3:46 am Skokie is certainly not obscure if you're old enough. There was even a celebrated TV movie about the case in 1981 called Skokie. I still remember that it featured Danny Kaye's last film appearance. (I suppose he's obscure these days too.)
Yeah, it made national news at the time (and got a passing reference in the Blues Brothers movie). I recall a good deal of outrage at the ACLU for defending the Nazis’ right to free speech and demonstration in court.
It's pretty old at this point, though. Looks like the movie came out in 1981 (and the Blue Brothers in 1980). I remember a scene with Nazis in the Blues Brothers, but didn't recall that Skokie was the city. Assuming it wouldn't really register with most people under high school age you've got to be at least in your 55+ to have recollection of the event first hand.
davey

Post by davey »

leszekp wrote: Sun Mar 13, 2022 2:13 pm
twelvefootboy wrote: Sun Mar 13, 2022 1:50 pm

Jennings is wrong - correct pronunciation is "Libe-niz" (or Libe-nitz).
I just listened to this again. I deleted my copy, but the ep is easy to find. Jennings pronounced it correctly. It's twelvefootboy who is wrong.