Happy JeoparDAY!

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

This Is Kirk!
Jeopardy! Champion

Re: Happy JeoparDAY!

Post by This Is Kirk! »

MarkBarrett wrote: Wed Mar 30, 2022 5:06 pm
This Is Kirk! wrote: Wed Mar 30, 2022 4:55 pm
alietr wrote: Wed Mar 30, 2022 1:29 pm
MarkBarrett wrote: Wed Mar 30, 2022 11:24 am Former J! players can take it as well. There is a toggle to indicate you have already appeared on the show.
Remember, kids, don't be a Kirby!
Who's Kirby? Guess I missed that one...
Jeff "same tie" Kirby: https://www.j-archive.com/showplayer.php?player_id=6404
That's crazy. Surprised I hadn't heard about this. Hopefully J! improved their vetting process (or actually installed one) after this happened.
morbeedo
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by morbeedo »

In the pool but took the test yesterday bc it was there - 24/25 in first half, 17 in second half. This question set did not play to my strengths
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

Only a couple of those were on my test.
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

None were on mine.
gamawire
Swimming in the Jeopardy! Pool

Post by gamawire »

Not on mine, either.
"It is better, of course, to know useless things than to know nothing." -- Seneca
Robert K S
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by Robert K S »

Note... in interest of fairness and integrity, any posts to JBoard containing Anytime Test questions or answers (answers or questions?) will be removed. Please don't compromise your own or anyone else's chances of appearing on the show by making public this material.
DysonSphere
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by DysonSphere »

I'm not sure if this is the best thread for this... but is there a JBoard consensus on when people in the pool should take the test again? Is it proper to wait until the 18 month pool period fully expires before taking the test again? Or does the 18 month period refer to a later stage of the process like audition?
trainman
Moderator Extraordinaire

Post by trainman »

DysonSphere wrote: Sun Apr 03, 2022 8:50 pm I'm not sure if this is the best thread for this... but is there a JBoard consensus on when people in the pool should take the test again? Is it proper to wait until the 18 month pool period fully expires before taking the test again? Or does the 18 month period refer to a later stage of the process like audition?
If you pass the Anytime Test and get selected for the next stage in the process, the instructions include, "If you have taken a test via Zoom within the past 12 months you SHOULD NOT sign up for this audition. If you have been to an audition where you played a mock version of Jeopardy! within the past 18 months you SHOULD NOT sign up for this audition."

(Which is to say that I took the test on JeoparDAY -- which was just over 18 months since I got to the mock-version stage -- and have already been invited to a Zoom test session.)
seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns

Post by seaborgium »

I got invited to sign up for a Zoom audition. I thought I made sure to indicate that I had already been a contestant, so I emailed back saying so, just in case the mistake was on their side.
TheTabbyWhisperer
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by TheTabbyWhisperer »

I also got the invite for the Zoom test. I took the anytime test just for the donation and while I felt like it went well, I really didn't consider the possibility of an audition. I will have to figure out a work around for the webcam requirement though. Apparently there is an app that will make my phone do the job.
DysonSphere

Post by DysonSphere »

trainman wrote: Sat Apr 09, 2022 2:16 am
DysonSphere wrote: Sun Apr 03, 2022 8:50 pm I'm not sure if this is the best thread for this... but is there a JBoard consensus on when people in the pool should take the test again? Is it proper to wait until the 18 month pool period fully expires before taking the test again? Or does the 18 month period refer to a later stage of the process like audition?
If you pass the Anytime Test and get selected for the next stage in the process, the instructions include, "If you have taken a test via Zoom within the past 12 months you SHOULD NOT sign up for this audition. If you have been to an audition where you played a mock version of Jeopardy! within the past 18 months you SHOULD NOT sign up for this audition."

(Which is to say that I took the test on JeoparDAY -- which was just over 18 months since I got to the mock-version stage -- and have already been invited to a Zoom test session.)
My reading of this then is that since I took the mock game via Zoom in December 2020, I should not take the Anytime Test until June 2022 in case I get a Zoom audition right away. Thanks for the information.

By the way, anybody know what's going on with Jarchive search? Just takes me to Google now when I query with the search box. It used to have a nice search feature.
Robert K S
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by Robert K S »

DysonSphere wrote: Sat Apr 09, 2022 1:14 pm anybody know what's going on with Jarchive search? Just takes me to Google now when I query with the search box. It used to have a nice search feature.
DysonSphere

Post by DysonSphere »

Robert K S wrote: Sat Apr 09, 2022 1:20 pm
DysonSphere wrote: Sat Apr 09, 2022 1:14 pm anybody know what's going on with Jarchive search? Just takes me to Google now when I query with the search box. It used to have a nice search feature.
Awesome. Thanks. Jarchive is my Bible!
seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns

Post by seaborgium »

TheTabbyWhisperer wrote: Sat Apr 09, 2022 10:50 am I also got the invite for the Zoom test. I took the anytime test just for the donation and while I felt like it went well, I really didn't consider the possibility of an audition. I will have to figure out a work around for the webcam requirement though. Apparently there is an app that will make my phone do the job.
When "shelter in place" started two years ago, I also needed a webcam for Zoom stuff, and ended up using an app called Kinoni EpocCam. (The computer also needs a program to work together with the phone). I use the free trial version, and all the limitations of it are things I've worked around in the past:

- You can't use the phone's microphone (I connect a microphone to the computer, or dial in to the Zoom call—though not all Zoom calls allow for that)
- It only uses a 640x480 image and occasionally puts text on the bottom of the picture (so what, also in the past—though not anymore for some reason, but again, so what—I've been able to tweak Zoom's picture settings to crop the top and bottom of the image so I still get a 16x9 aspect ratio, albeit low-res, with the text cut off)
- It occasionally pops up advertising, sometimes videos with sound, on the phone (this doesn't appear over Zoom, and if I block my phone on the wifi, or I have my phone set not to allow Kinoni to use cellular data and take it off wifi, then it doesn't appear—obviously this workaround is not for those who use the app wirelessly, and the latter only works sporadically, as the app seems to detect that I'm turning off wifi and stops showing camera images, unless I get some unknown timing right)
TheTabbyWhisperer
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by TheTabbyWhisperer »

seaborgium wrote: Sat Apr 09, 2022 2:51 pm
TheTabbyWhisperer wrote: Sat Apr 09, 2022 10:50 am I also got the invite for the Zoom test. I took the anytime test just for the donation and while I felt like it went well, I really didn't consider the possibility of an audition. I will have to figure out a work around for the webcam requirement though. Apparently there is an app that will make my phone do the job.
When "shelter in place" started two years ago, I also needed a webcam for Zoom stuff, and ended up using an app called Kinoni EpocCam. (The computer also needs a program to work together with the phone). I use the free trial version, and all the limitations of it are things I've worked around in the past:

- You can't use the phone's microphone (I connect a microphone to the computer, or dial in to the Zoom call—though not all Zoom calls allow for that)
- It only uses a 640x480 image and occasionally puts text on the bottom of the picture (so what, also in the past—though not anymore for some reason, but again, so what—I've been able to tweak Zoom's picture settings to crop the top and bottom of the image so I still get a 16x9 aspect ratio, albeit low-res, with the text cut off)
- It occasionally pops up advertising, sometimes videos with sound, on the phone (this doesn't appear over Zoom, and if I block my phone on the wifi, or I have my phone set not to allow Kinoni to use cellular data and take it off wifi, then it doesn't appear—obviously this workaround is not for those who use the app wirelessly, and the latter only works sporadically, as the app seems to detect that I'm turning off wifi and stops showing camera images, unless I get some unknown timing right)
Thanks for the tips!
alietr
Site Admin

Post by alietr »

Robert K S wrote: Sat Apr 09, 2022 1:20 pm
I'll put in my usual plug about how handy it would be to have a search box on the home page.
squarekara
J! Reactionary

Post by squarekara »

seaborgium wrote: Sat Apr 09, 2022 4:15 am I got invited to sign up for a Zoom audition. I thought I made sure to indicate that I had already been a contestant, so I emailed back saying so, just in case the mistake was on their side.
I got a Zoom audition notice today after taking the test on JeoparDAY. I disclosed my contestant experience too, but if they're just sending these invites out willy-nilly, maybe I should just audition as an evil twin.
Robert K S
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by Robert K S »

squarekara wrote: Fri May 27, 2022 5:41 pm
seaborgium wrote: Sat Apr 09, 2022 4:15 am I got invited to sign up for a Zoom audition. I thought I made sure to indicate that I had already been a contestant, so I emailed back saying so, just in case the mistake was on their side.
I got a Zoom audition notice today after taking the test on JeoparDAY. I disclosed my contestant experience too, but if they're just sending these invites out willy-nilly, maybe I should just audition as an evil twin.
In case you need it
squarekara
J! Reactionary

Post by squarekara »

Robert K S wrote: Fri May 27, 2022 5:49 pm
In case you need it
Yaaaaassssss!
triviawayne
Hoping I don’t drown in this contestant pool

Post by triviawayne »

squarekara wrote: Fri May 27, 2022 7:14 pm
Robert K S wrote: Fri May 27, 2022 5:49 pm
In case you need it
Yaaaaassssss!
If you need any advice on what to do, ask Jeff Kirby
Total game show career losings = $171,522