Wednesday, April 6, 2022 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

floridagator
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Re: Wednesday, April 6, 2022 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by floridagator »

I settled on Monaco pretty quickly. The clue didn't make sense for any of the other tiny European countries.

My question is, how does a Canadian pull John Foster Dulles?
I'd rather cuddle then have sex. If you're into grammar, you'll understand.
seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns

Post by seaborgium »

floridagator wrote: Thu Apr 07, 2022 6:13 am My question is, how does a Canadian pull John Foster Dulles?
By being a Jeopardy contestant, I suppose. That, and being spotted his middle name, if not explicitly.
alietr
Site Admin

Post by alietr »

Looking at the box score, Mattea dominated the buzzer a la Amy. I think at least part of it is that Vernon and Lana got hesitant about buzzing in.

I sent a copy of Mattea's interview to Chris Frantz. Haven't heard back from him yet.

Add me to the "Liechtenstein? Luxembourg? No, gotta be Monaco" crew.

Laura Nyro should never be forgotten.

Allowing Lana to change her Texahoma answer was just plain wrong. Mayim really needs to get her act together. And the judges shouldn't have allowed it. I'm sure there were Alex miscues as well, but when Alex chimed in to ask them to repeat their answer because he wasn't sure he heard it correctly, they did NOT allow the contestant to change their answer. Good thing it didn't matter.
davey

Post by davey »

floridagator wrote: Thu Apr 07, 2022 6:13 am

My question is, how does a Canadian pull John Foster Dulles?
Could be a foreign policy or Carol Burnett fan

Woppy T

Post by Woppy T »

doihavetoreally wrote: Wed Apr 06, 2022 1:56 pm
DDs were utter joke today.
"ball and socket" joint, complete with an animation of the thing, may have been the easiest $2000 clue ever.
CyrusChan

Post by CyrusChan »

Bamaman wrote: Wed Apr 06, 2022 8:15 pm Texahoma should have been negged and not given time to correct.

Joined the champ in making the switch for the solve.
When it is wrong, it is wrong. What is the wait for? In that case, I just call of words that could be correct and hope one would land.

From what I have seen, she's a bit biased with her leniency. And she BMSes on nonsensical responses. I cannot name another Christian (surname, off the top of my head besides Fletcher) but yet accepts Washington (I can name 4 Washington's in 5 seconds).

Don't like the partiality.
harrumph
Voyeur

Post by harrumph »

da Doctah wrote: Thu Apr 07, 2022 3:51 am
LucarioSnooperVixey wrote: Wed Apr 06, 2022 3:33 pm 58 R (Missed the Bottom Two in Women in Music.)
DD: 3/3
FJ: :mrgreen:
Am I the only one who was delighted to see the pic of Laura Nyro even before the full clue was read? Based on people I talk music with, everyone else in the world seems to have completely forgotten she ever lived.
I worked in a used record store for forty years, and can say that among popular music aficionados that Laura Nyro is thoroughly in the pantheon of all time greats.
doihavetoreally

Post by doihavetoreally »

Woppy T wrote: Thu Apr 07, 2022 10:03 am
doihavetoreally wrote: Wed Apr 06, 2022 1:56 pm
DDs were utter joke today.
"ball and socket" joint, complete with an animation of the thing, may have been the easiest $2000 clue ever.
Maybe they should have saved it for "Ball" category. 😉
Good enough to lose on Jeopardy!
yclept

Post by yclept »

She could have made quite a killing in this game - not that her final score is anything to sneeze at. But something like a $15,000 DD-3 wager plus a max FJ wager.

This is not at all a criticism…because as much as I love aggressive game play, I would likely fall closer on the “protect what I have - it is a lot of money!” side of the spectrum….
trainman
Moderator Extraordinaire

Post by trainman »

da Doctah wrote: Thu Apr 07, 2022 3:51 am Am I the only one who was delighted to see the pic of Laura Nyro even before the full clue was read? Based on people I talk music with, everyone else in the world seems to have completely forgotten she ever lived.
Frank Conniff (formerly of "Mystery Science Theater 3000") mentions her on Twitter at every opportunity. Some years back, I gave my sister a Laura Nyro best-of CD -- and along with it, I made a mix CD of other artists covering the same songs.
Robert K S
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by Robert K S »

I'm not sure I ever knew she ever lived--and she's a R&RHoF'er. What would I recognize by her?
alietr
Site Admin

Post by alietr »

Robert K S wrote: Fri Apr 08, 2022 10:36 am I'm not sure I ever knew she ever lived--and she's a R&RHoF'er. What would I recognize by her?
Probably her biggest songs were Eli's Coming, And When I Die, Stoned Soul Picnic, and Wedding Bell Blues. Am I missing any?
Robert K S
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by Robert K S »

I don't think I know any of those, at least not by title. And, era-wise, she's smack in my music sweet spot. Gotta check this out.
DBear
Denier of Pop Culture

Post by DBear »

alietr wrote: Fri Apr 08, 2022 10:50 am
Robert K S wrote: Fri Apr 08, 2022 10:36 am I'm not sure I ever knew she ever lived--and she's a R&RHoF'er. What would I recognize by her?
Probably her biggest songs were Eli's Coming, And When I Die, Stoned Soul Picnic, and Wedding Bell Blues. Am I missing any?
Wedding Bell Blues I recognized as a hit for The 5th Dimension, but no idea she did the original.
trainman
Moderator Extraordinaire

Post by trainman »

DBear wrote: Fri Apr 08, 2022 11:41 am Wedding Bell Blues I recognized as a hit for The 5th Dimension, but no idea she did the original.
Three Dog Night and 5th Dimension both covered several Laura Nyro songs. I don't know what it was about groups with numbers in the title.
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

Never heard of Nyro and guessed Amy Winehouse.
earendel

Post by earendel »

Sweet Blindness, also covered by The 5th Dimension.
"Elen sila lumenn omentielvo...A star shines on the hour of our meeting."
Robert K S
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by Robert K S »

Probably her biggest songs were Eli's Coming
If I ever heard the Three Dog Night version, I probably put it out of my mind because it's not so much a song as a bunch of bits cobbled together. Yuck. I like Nyro's voice on her version, but the song still doesn't move. Why's Eli such a big deal? Is he really so charismatic that women must be warned of his arrival?
alietr wrote: Fri Apr 08, 2022 10:50 amAnd When I Die
Very familiar with the Blood Sweat & Tears version, which is awesome for its combination of horns, blues harp, handclaps, and woodblock, but never heard Nyro's before.
alietr wrote: Fri Apr 08, 2022 10:50 amStoned Soul Picnic
Just listened to the Fifth Dimension and Nyro versions. Nyro's version sounds like it could have been arranged and performed by Carole King. S'okay. The Fifth Dimension version doesn't do anything for me, and I like it less than Nyro's.
alietr wrote: Fri Apr 08, 2022 10:50 amand Wedding Bell Blues.
I knew this song well, but always just figured it was called "Marry Me Bill". I like both the Nyro and Fifth Dimension versions.
cthulhu

Post by cthulhu »

Nyro was one of the few acts at the 1967 Monterey Pop festival who didn’t get a big boost from it (unlike Otis Redding, Jimi Hendrix, the Who, Janis Joplin, etc.). It used to be a matter of faith among rock critics that her MP performance was justifiably awful, but whether that’s true or not (I wasn’t there and amazingly enough, haven’t seen D.A.Pennebaker’s famed documentary), it is still true that she got minimal career boost out of it.

I haven’t thought about her, or encountered her music, in ages, so I saw the picture and kept thinking “Karla Bonoff doesn’t fit the clue…” :?
Volante
Harbinger of the Doomed Lemur

Post by Volante »

cthulhu wrote: Sun Apr 10, 2022 11:03 pm Nyro was one of the few acts at the 1967 Monterey Pop festival who didn’t get a big boost from it (unlike Otis Redding, Jimi Hendrix, the Who, Janis Joplin, etc.). It used to be a matter of faith among rock critics that her MP performance was justifiably awful, but whether that’s true or not (I wasn’t there and amazingly enough, haven’t seen D.A.Pennebaker’s famed documentary), it is still true that she got minimal career boost out of it.

I haven’t thought about her, or encountered her music, in ages, so I saw the picture and kept thinking “Karla Bonoff doesn’t fit the clue…” :?
You'd have to see the outtakes to see Nyro's set at Monterey:
https://www.criterion.com/current/posts ... nterey-pop
The best thing that Neil Armstrong ever did, was to let us all imagine we were him.
Latest movies (1-10): Everything Everywhere All at Once (10), Ruby Gillman: Teenage Kraken (6), Black Sunday /1960/ (6), Marcel the Shell with Shoes On (7)