Friday, May 6, 2022 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

idearat
Valued Contributor

Re: Friday, May 6, 2022 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by idearat »

I saw a news posting that Mattea had lost by a dollar. I was pissed off to see that posted about the same time as it aired on the West Coast. I hadn't watched the 5 May game, so I was expecting her to lose and was happy to be surprised.
I got multiple triple stumpers tonight which always makes me happy (and helps to make up for what I was clueless about )

So Mattea won her age worth of games but didn't beat it. I'm really looking forward to this year's TOC.
I got the bronze on Jeopardy!
BigDaddyMatty
Hoping not to get pruney this time

Post by BigDaddyMatty »

To put a bit of a fine point on just how unlikely Danielle's victory was, and just how much DDs and FJ! matter:
- Her 11 correct buzz-in responses were the fewest by any winner in the box score era
- Her 8 net correct responses (11 R/3 W) tied Matt Glassman (13 R/5 W) for the fewest in the BSE (all other winners had at least 12 net correct responses)
- Her net gain of $7,800 on DDs is tied for 11th most in the BSE (Tim McCaigue is the only player in the BSE to net at least that much from DDs and not win his game)
Sprinkles are for winners.
Category 13
Wagering Viking

Post by Category 13 »

twelvefootboy wrote: Twelvefootgirl and I think Mattea probably needed off tomorrow anyway to go watch her horse run. She's done everything else 8-) . She is definitely my favorite player ever since I started paying attention. Austin Rogers may be second favorite. My third favorite? What is Matt Amodio?
What's Amodio?
Robert K S
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by Robert K S »

Lefty wrote: Fri May 06, 2022 11:17 pm I thought including "Coca-Cola magnate" in the FJ clue was too leading, as you ought to know who Asa Candler was.
Never heard of Asa Candler. That name probably has a lot more cachet in Atlanta than the rest of the country?

I guess I have heard the story of the Coca-Cola recipe being purchased from its originator, but until just now I couldn't have told you the name of the purchaser.
yclept
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by yclept »

Danielle hits a few DD, gets in one answer just before the bell, and hits on the perfect FJ category. Not complaining at all - that is just how the game goes. And it is another example of not really knowing what type of player will beat the reigning super-champ.

Mattea’s more conservative approach sometimes cost her some runaways that never haunted her. I really don’t blame her for the strategy - I will say that a more sound strategy for her would be to hunt for the DD and bet small to eliminate one of the few things that can counteract her speed and accuracy. But, as I always say, she is sitting on over $500,000 while I would be lucky just to get to FJ if I ever played.

Very intrigued to see her in the tournament. They will obviously separate out the four double digit champs and have a very evenly matched up fifth game (assuming another big champ won’t happen - perhaps we shouldn’t assume that at this point). I am intrigued to see how they set up the games. Will the new people in charge have a different vision for how to seed and setup the first round?
SBurrus

Post by SBurrus »

I did not know anything about a leak and did not check JBoard prior to watching Friday's broadcast so went into the game completely unaware. I was stunned at what happened -- Mattea's streak ended by just $1. My jaw actually dropped open. I did not see that coming.

For FJ, I figured the Coca Cola suggested Atlanta, and I thought of Hartsfield but could not think of another mayor of Atlanta except for Andrew Young.
gamawire
Swimming in the Jeopardy! Pool

Post by gamawire »

Luckily, I was not spoiled on the game, so it was a surprise, but I did feel it was coming soon. Mattea seemed to be...winding down the past few games to me. Congrats to her on one helluva run.

Got to Atlanta quickly, and although I have traveled through that airport many times, I could not pull Jackson out of my head. :oops:
"It is better, of course, to know useless things than to know nothing." -- Seneca
brick

Post by brick »

I knew it was Atlanta, and was mentally rifling through large sports venues, maybe something they built for the Olympics? maybe a huge shopping mall? Airport crossed my mind but didn't linger, and I was not going to produce the names.
twelvefootboy

Post by twelvefootboy »

I don't like outsourcing research to others, but does anyone already have the track record for how many games Mattea defended without a lock? I think it is surely more than Amy's, and possibly Matt's. I have no idea how many times KJ was at risk going into / coming out of FJ.

It was this element that made her run more entertaining, besides her goofy yet competent demeanor. Watching beatdown after beatdown was tiring with Amy's run. (I know the facts may reveal otherwise, but it seemed that way).

Congrats to Mattea, and KJ showed some quick thinking in stating that there will probably be a few more babies carrying the name. But mostly because they like the name, I assume ;).
Disclaimer - repeated exposure to author's musings may cause befuddlement.
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

twelvefootboy wrote: Sat May 07, 2022 12:54 pm I don't like outsourcing research to others, but does anyone already have the track record for how many games Mattea defended without a lock? I think it is surely more than Amy's, and possibly Matt's. I have no idea how many times KJ was at risk going into / coming out of FJ.

It was this element that made her run more entertaining, besides her goofy yet competent demeanor. Watching beatdown after beatdown was tiring with Amy's run. (I know the facts may reveal otherwise, but it seemed that way).

Congrats to Mattea, and KJ showed some quick thinking in stating that there will probably be a few more babies carrying the name. But mostly because they like the name, I assume ;).
1+L+1+L+2
L+LT+L+1+1
L+L+1+L+L
L+LT+1+1+1
L+L+2+1

Matt in 39 games had one LT and the 3 in his last game. His runaway count was 32 vs. 5 when he "only" led for the FJ! round.

Amy in 41 games had a 2 in her debut and no LTs. The Lock count was 35 vs. 5 when she "only" led for the FJ! round.
Anachronism

Post by Anachronism »

When I looked at this last week, I found it remarkable that the average number of Triple-Stumpers in Mattea's games was more than 10 (it was 12 on this show). I compared that to Jason Zuffranieri's run, which was the last 10+ run with Alex. That was much lower. The combined coryat in those games was $6,000 higher than for Mattea's run at that point.

Just from watching, and not doing the same calculations, my sense is that Amy's games were more similar to Jason's. Something major has changed with the casting recently, and while Mattea is a formidable player who can compete with almost anyone, I would be very surprised if she could take more than one game in ten off of Amy or Jason.
Lefty

Post by Lefty »

Robert K S wrote: Sat May 07, 2022 3:01 am
Lefty wrote: Fri May 06, 2022 11:17 pm I thought including "Coca-Cola magnate" in the FJ clue was too leading, as you ought to know who Asa Candler was.
Never heard of Asa Candler. That name probably has a lot more cachet in Atlanta than the rest of the country?
Probably, though there is also a Candler building in New York City, just west of Times Square. It was recently home to the city's largest McDonald's.
I'm smart and I want respect.
davey

Post by davey »

Lefty wrote: Sat May 07, 2022 2:30 pm
Robert K S wrote: Sat May 07, 2022 3:01 am
Probably, though there is also a Candler building in New York City, just west of Times Square. It was recently home to the city's largest McDonald's.
That building doesn't swing with the Chryslers, the Empire States, or even the Woolworths. I've been by it a thousand times - I've been in that McDonald's - don't remember Mr. Candler's name.
LucarioSnooperVixey
Carrying Letters and Lemons

Post by LucarioSnooperVixey »

58 R (Couldn't get Diane Warren or Dominic West. The DW's tripped me up today.)
DD: 3/3
FJ: :mrgreen:
Douglas Squasoni
twelvefootboy

Post by twelvefootboy »

MarkBarrett wrote: Sat May 07, 2022 1:38 pm
twelvefootboy wrote: Sat May 07, 2022 12:54 pm I don't like outsourcing research to others, but does anyone already have the track record for how many games Mattea defended without a lock? I think it is surely more than Amy's, and possibly Matt's. I have no idea how many times KJ was at risk going into / coming out of FJ.

1+L+1+L+2
L+LT+L+1+1
L+L+1+L+L
L+LT+1+1+1
L+L+2+1

Matt in 39 games had one LT and the 3 in his last game. His runaway count was 32 vs. 5 when he "only" led for the FJ! round.

Amy in 41 games had a 2 in her debut and no LTs. The Lock count was 35 vs. 5 when she "only" led for the FJ! round.
Thanks, MB
If I parse this information correctly, then Mattea won 10 do or die games and lost the final one for a total of 11 games. Which exceeds the suspense in 80 games with Matt and Amy. Bias confirmed! Her clutch play will probably be of no help in the TOC because opponent runaways can't be defended in FJ.
As I watched last nights game, I kept watching the clock wind down but I think she showed a lot of discipline in clamming instead of risking the (<2/3rds) edge she had (requiring a make by Danielle). Regarding the high TS count, I think the boards might have been a little tougher during much of her run.
I never heard of Asa Candler. I think of John Pemberton as the daddy of Coke. In more ways than one. Fittingly, it is Asa who pimped it in the drugstore.
Disclaimer - repeated exposure to author's musings may cause befuddlement.
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

If Amy, Matt, and Mattea all make the SF round, I assume they’d be placed in three different games. So where would they place Jonathan Fisher if he also is in the SF? He can’t face Matt since they avoid rematches. Would he be with Amy or Mattea?
clprez

Post by clprez »

A couple of people said that they were "spoiled" because of the number of posts in this thread. I got on jboard at about 5PM on Thursday and there were already around 25 posts in that thread, so I was expecting her to lose that day.

As far as FJ! goes, I was able to get Hartsfield, but the closest I could get for the second name was Jacobs.
BobF

Post by BobF »

SBurrus wrote: Sat May 07, 2022 3:38 am I was stunned at what happened -- Mattea's streak ended by just $1. My jaw actually dropped open. I did not see that coming.
Losing by $1 almost always means somebody else bet correctly strategically. I cringe when the news media makes a big deal about a J! win by $1.
Was once hugged by Maggie Speak!
idearat
Valued Contributor

Post by idearat »

It might be good that Mattea won a good amount of money. There's a chance that being an LSAT tutor won't be as lucrative.

(Reuters) - The American Bar Association is once again considering dropping its requirement that law schools use the Law School Admission Test—or any standardized test—when weighing student applications.

https://www.reuters.com/legal/legalindu ... 022-05-06/
I got the bronze on Jeopardy!
triviawayne
Hoping I don’t drown in this contestant pool

Post by triviawayne »

Bamaman wrote: Sat May 07, 2022 6:21 pm If Amy, Matt, and Mattea all make the SF round, I assume they’d be placed in three different games. So where would they place Jonathan Fisher if he also is in the SF? He can’t face Matt since they avoid rematches. Would he be with Amy or Mattea?
I’m guessing there’s going to be an expanded field in prime time, so that wouldn’t be as much of an issue.
Total game show career losings = $171,522