Tuesday, May 10, 2022 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

MarkBarrett
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Re: Tuesday, May 10, 2022 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by MarkBarrett »

Volante wrote: Tue May 10, 2022 10:52 pm
Leander wrote: Tue May 10, 2022 10:46 pm
davey wrote: Tue May 10, 2022 10:29 pm I had no problem coming up with Coachella as the later festival, but I forgot if I ever knew that there were multiple Woodstocks. I should have written it down anyway since I had nothing better...I knew it wasn't Altamont!
I figured the FJ would be about someone who performed at Woodstock, so it was even foremost in my mind... :roll:
I was sort of in the same boat. Did think of Coachella, but expected that they were looking for a similar ongoing music event (Newport Folk Festival?) that ended in 99, not a one time anniversary event. Might have thrown in Woodstock with more time.
It looks like there were only two Woodstocks... '69 and '99...so technically aren't we due for another in 7 years?
I had Lilith Fair and Lollapalooza... If it wasn't for a 2010 revival, Lilith Fair would've ...at least ended in '99 :lol:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Woodstock_%2794
Volante
Harbinger of the Doomed Lemur

Post by Volante »

MarkBarrett wrote: Tue May 10, 2022 10:57 pm
Volante wrote: Tue May 10, 2022 10:52 pm
Leander wrote: Tue May 10, 2022 10:46 pm
davey wrote: Tue May 10, 2022 10:29 pm I had no problem coming up with Coachella as the later festival, but I forgot if I ever knew that there were multiple Woodstocks. I should have written it down anyway since I had nothing better...I knew it wasn't Altamont!
I figured the FJ would be about someone who performed at Woodstock, so it was even foremost in my mind... :roll:
I was sort of in the same boat. Did think of Coachella, but expected that they were looking for a similar ongoing music event (Newport Folk Festival?) that ended in 99, not a one time anniversary event. Might have thrown in Woodstock with more time.
It looks like there were only two Woodstocks... '69 and '99...so technically aren't we due for another in 7 years?
I had Lilith Fair and Lollapalooza... If it wasn't for a 2010 revival, Lilith Fair would've ...at least ended in '99 :lol:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Woodstock_%2794
Ahh! There's something I couldn't find on either of the other two pages:
Years active 1994. 27 years ago
original event: 1969
namesake events:
1979, 1989, 1994,
1999, 2009, 2019
2009 was a tour though, not a festival

Edit: apparently I didn't look at the bottom either, where there's that whole Revivals list in the table.
The best thing that Neil Armstrong ever did, was to let us all imagine we were him.
Latest movies (1-10): Everything Everywhere All at Once (10), Ruby Gillman: Teenage Kraken (6), Black Sunday /1960/ (6), Marcel the Shell with Shoes On (7)
floridagator

Post by floridagator »

The correct answer for the article III question was judges. The article reads as follows:

The Judges, both of the supreme and inferior Courts, shall hold their Offices during good Behaviour...

I don't think just anybody can check out a performance by the world-famous choir at that religious edifice or the famous giant organ either. Also worth noting that the church recently declared that six letter word to be off-limits and the name of the choir is now the Tabernacle Choir at Temple Square.
I'd rather cuddle then have sex. If you're into grammar, you'll understand.
davey

Post by davey »

floridagator wrote: Tue May 10, 2022 11:21 pm

I don't think just anybody can check out a performance by the world-famous choir at that religious edifice or the famous giant organ either.
Anybody can.
Even their rehearsals are open to the public at the Tabernacle
https://www.thetabernaclechoir.org/even ... rsals.html
and there's a daily organ recital
https://www.thetabernaclechoir.org/even ... itals.html
Churches and tabernacles are open to anyone, and there are far more of the former than the latter. Temples are open to anyone prior to being dedicated, but are afterwards limited to LDS who live the standards we believe God sets in order to enter his house.http://www.mormonmonastery.org/temple-t ... ifference/
LucarioSnooperVixey
Carrying Letters and Lemons

Post by LucarioSnooperVixey »

55 R (Couldn't get the bottom two in College Sports Mascots.)
DD: 3/3
FJ: :mrgreen:

Ethan Allen and Gambit TS clues. Yikes!!! :?
Douglas Squasoni
twelvefootboy

Post by twelvefootboy »

I think it's a bit of a stretch to call the second event 30 years after the first one as the "last" of anything. I hope it is true, and maybe we can rename WW II as the Final World War. Woodstock was never going to be a series, it was a one-off followed by a money grab sequel. Twelvefootgirl thought of Farm Aid, all I could get was We are the World, or maybe something to do with Hands across America since the 2500 miles seemed to be important. I've heard/seen the term Coachella, but didn't know if it was a Music event or a Mary Kay convention.

Danielle made a strong comeback, but FJ did what FJ does. I thought the categories were awful tonight, and am not surprised at the poor game results.
Disclaimer - repeated exposure to author's musings may cause befuddlement.
floridagator

Post by floridagator »

davey wrote: Tue May 10, 2022 11:40 pm

I don't think just anybody can check out a performance by the world-famous choir at that religious edifice or the famous giant organ either.
Anybody can.
Churches and tabernacles are open to anyone, and there are far more of the former than the latter. Temples are open to anyone prior to being dedicated, but are afterwards limited to LDS who live the standards we believe God sets in order to enter his house.http://www.mormonmonastery.org/temple-t ... ifference/
Thank you for your response. I had a feeling someone here would know better than I did.
I'd rather cuddle then have sex. If you're into grammar, you'll understand.
mikebdoss

Post by mikebdoss »

Leander wrote: Tue May 10, 2022 10:46 pm I was sort of in the same boat. Did think of Coachella, but expected that they were looking for a similar ongoing music event (Newport Folk Festival?) that ended in 99, not a one time anniversary event. Might have thrown in Woodstock with more time.
This was exactly my thinking. I ruled out Woodstock because the '99 event was just an anniversary show (and I had forgotten about Woodstock '94). I got Coachella, but tried to pair it with Lilith Fair.
BigDaddyMatty
Hoping not to get pruney this time

Post by BigDaddyMatty »

Coryat: $31,200
43 R/3 W
DD: 3/3
LT: shark, too, Ethan Allen, matador, gambit, gleaners, Zero

It looked like Danielle was going to wrap up yet another victory, but she's too young to remember the disaster that was Woodstock '99.

I'm pretty much the perfect age for this clue, as Lollapalooza started while I was in high school and Woodstock '94 took place a couple of months after graduation. Burning Man's not really a music festival, so I didn't have an issue there. What did get me, though, was looking 2,500 miles (closer to 3,500, it turns out) in the wrong direction. I immediately thought of England and Glastonbury, which apparently has been going since all the way back in 1970. It wasn't until the last five seconds or so of the music that my mind went west, and I quickly scrawled down Coachella.

I also took a $4000 reversal of fortune by referring to the legislative group as the Senate Foreign Affairs Committee. Oof. I also totally blanked on the title of "Across the Universe," but at least I had the good sense to stay clam on that one.
Sprinkles are for winners.
mxc_takeshi

Post by mxc_takeshi »

33/57 right.

Lach Trash: a shark, too

davey

Post by davey »

floridagator wrote: Wed May 11, 2022 12:59 am
davey wrote: Tue May 10, 2022 11:40 pm

Anybody can.
Thank you for your response. I had a feeling someone here would know better than I did.
Google knows better than you do. You should try it sometime.
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

No chance for me. Guessed Live Aid and Farm Aid.
yclept

Post by yclept »

Fun FJ as you can at least make educated guesses even if you don’t know it.

Not the smoothest of games but there is a reason why super champs are what they are. It is easy to forget just how a normal Jeopardy game typically goes when someone at the first podium is more of a typical type of champion (still impressive!) than a super champion.
clprez

Post by clprez »

Bamaman wrote: Wed May 11, 2022 7:37 am No chance for me. Guessed Live Aid and Farm Aid.
Same here
BobF

Post by BobF »

I was playing Ultimate Frisbee and waiting on the sidelines to get in game when my GF texted me FJ. All we could come up with as a group was Woodstock.

I used to camp a few miles from the Woodstock site not realizing it was there, but I hope to check it out if I get the opportunity to camp there again.
Was once hugged by Maggie Speak!
alietr
Site Admin

Post by alietr »

Maybe someone more familiar with the situation would know, but would it even be possible to sing to soldiers in the DMZ? I know the meeting rooms are there in Panmunjeom, but are those actually in the DMZ and are regularly occupied by soldiers? I thought the whole point of a DMZ was to keep soldiers out.
alietr
Site Admin

Post by alietr »

davey wrote: Tue May 10, 2022 11:40 pm Churches and tabernacles are open to anyone, and there are far more of the former than the latter. Temples are open to anyone prior to being dedicated, but are afterwards limited to LDS who live the standards we believe God sets in order to enter his house.http://www.mormonmonastery.org/temple-t ... ifference/
The Washington Temple ("Surrender Dorothy") has undergone renovations, and has not yet been re-consecrated. We have tickets to see it at the end of this month. It's supposed to be beautiful inside.
BigDaddyMatty wrote: Wed May 11, 2022 2:19 am I also took a $4000 reversal of fortune by referring to the legislative group as the Senate Foreign Affairs Committee.
For reasons unknown to me, it is the House Foreign Affairs Committee and the Senate Foreign Relations Committee.
BigDaddyMatty
Hoping not to get pruney this time

Post by BigDaddyMatty »

alietr wrote: Wed May 11, 2022 9:24 pm
davey wrote: Tue May 10, 2022 11:40 pm Churches and tabernacles are open to anyone, and there are far more of the former than the latter. Temples are open to anyone prior to being dedicated, but are afterwards limited to LDS who live the standards we believe God sets in order to enter his house.http://www.mormonmonastery.org/temple-t ... ifference/
The Washington Temple ("Surrender Dorothy") has undergone renovations, and has not yet been re-consecrated. We have tickets to see it at the end of this month. It's supposed to be beautiful inside.
Anyone who has the chance should go and see. It is a truly special place, but even merely from an aesthetic perspective, it's stunning.
Sprinkles are for winners.