Friday, May 13, 2022 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

Robert K S
Jeopardy! Champion

Re: Friday, May 13, 2022 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by Robert K S »

MarkBarrett wrote: Fri May 13, 2022 11:00 pm
Volante wrote: Fri May 13, 2022 10:48 pm ...

Was this archive note explaining the otherwise failure to apply a [The] Invisible Man rule self research or did someone post it elsewhere?
[NOTE: The film was released in the United Kingdom as [*].]

It was a correction suggestion from another archivist and I accepted it after I saw it.
The only correction suggestion I want to enter for that clue is an erratum controverting the false statement that I probably watch that movie, in December or otherwise.
yclept
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by yclept »

42 buzz attempts for Ryan. Assuming he knew a lot of the stuff he was locked out on, he could be an interesting champion if he can get the timing down. I guess we will find out Monday.
mikebdoss

Post by mikebdoss »

Really liked Ryan as a contestant. It feels to me like if he gets the timing down, he's going to be great. He looked just a little new and nervous today, understandably.

Another "Pennsylvania" for Final. Didn't get to Georgia.
alietr
Site Admin

Post by alietr »

BigDaddyMatty wrote: Fri May 13, 2022 6:38 pm Ryan's play late in the game would have been baffling if it weren't so common. DD3 at $1600 in PLACES IN THE BIBLE. Down $17200 to $12400 with Marie at $6200, with only the $2000 clue in the same category and the entirety of OPERA remaining. Not loving the category, he decides to "play it safe" by making a wager with no upside and the potential downside of making the game a crush. Woof. Bad enough. But then, after nailing a very easy DD and having the last Bible clue go fallow, he expresses his disgust at having to turn to the dreaded opera category. Like, what the heck, man? You could see the board. You knew what was left. Did you really think your best chance at winning was to punt the rest of the game and hope you happen to get a FJ! that you get but the champ misses? It worked out in this instance, obviously, but what a strategic blunder.
Yeah, I cringed when he made that bet, and that's an excellent analysis, except very, very few people can do that type of analysis when they're up there. It's like the whole thing goes by on fast forward. So of course we should be more forgiving in our comments.

We typically root for someone whose announced occupation indicates that a win would be real money to them. Ryan fit the bill.
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

twelvefootboy wrote: Fri May 13, 2022 11:03 pm I got fixated on William Penn and didn't bother running as many of the 13 colonies as I could, but only came up with Virginia and Carolina as other namesake states. I know the Germans settle there and are not actually Dutch. No idea where William Penn was born (London).
I never think about Royalty being birthed in other countries. Why the hell would you put up with a German as your King? If I'd have made it to Georgia, I still wouldn't have changed my answer.
I don't think all this state name etymology is very well known to the mainstream public. But two players got it, so it must be more than just a trivia nugget.
I liked Ryan's groan at calling the Opera category. Saved me the trouble :).

My guess is that Johnny Gilbert wasn't in the house to whip up the applause for Daniel's category run, and a horrified staffer made sure to bark in Mayim's ear for Ryan's run. How do you mess up the first 5 calls/gets in a row in descending order :o

So Mayim said Daniel keeps count of his escapades. How many? About fifty. That's not keeping count, that's losing count.
George I got the throne because his mom was the first non-Catholic in line.
This Is Kirk!
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by This Is Kirk! »

I must admit I care much less about watching when Mayim is hosting. I wouldn't have thought who's hosting would matter much to me, but it does.
CailinGaoilge
Location: Ontario, Canada; formerly resident in UK and Ireland

Post by CailinGaoilge »

This Is Kirk! wrote: Sat May 14, 2022 12:38 pm I must admit I care much less about watching when Mayim is hosting. I wouldn't have thought who's hosting would matter much to me, but it does.
This household concurs. After 8 or so weeks of Ken, the contrast in competence and ease could not be greater.
brick

Post by brick »

In “Holidays & Observances” would “Southie” have been accepted for South Boston, ya think?
harrumph
Voyeur

Post by harrumph »

I was rooting for Ryan in hopes that we hear more of his celebrity impressions. What was up on his neg on M Butterfly?
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

harrumph wrote: Sat May 14, 2022 8:45 pm I was rooting for Ryan in hopes that we hear more of his celebrity impressions. What was up on his neg on M Butterfly?
Play character instead of opera character is neg city.
opusthepenguin
The Best Darn Penguin on the Whole JBoard

Post by opusthepenguin »

MarkBarrett wrote: Sat May 14, 2022 8:53 pm
harrumph wrote: Sat May 14, 2022 8:45 pm I was rooting for Ryan in hopes that we hear more of his celebrity impressions. What was up on his neg on M Butterfly?
Play character instead of opera character is neg city.
That's my assumption too, but the reasoning seems pretty finely grained to me. I assume that if the play did not exist, "M Butterfly" would have been accepted for the Puccini opera character. My response was "Who is Cio-Cio-san?"
Linear Gnome
One Miner Gal

Post by Linear Gnome »

If the desired response were the Batman villain Mr. Freeze, I could see Fries, Victor Fries, Dr. Fries, or Mr. Freeze, but not M. Freeze. Is this analogous?
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

Linear Gnome wrote: Sat May 14, 2022 10:36 pm If the desired response were the Batman villain Mr. Freeze, I could see Fries, Victor Fries, Dr. Fries, or Mr. Freeze, but not M. Freeze. Is this analogous?
No. In M Butterfly, the female lead does not kill herself, the male lead does. Only Madame Butterfly satisfies the clue.
seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns

Post by seaborgium »

M. is the French abbreviation for Monsieur. M. Butterfly is a very different show from Madame Butterfly; besides being a play instead of an opera, it's about a Westerner falling in love with an Asian man pretending to be a woman (hence M. and not Madame—or Mme, Madame's abbreviation).
mxc_takeshi

Post by mxc_takeshi »

35/59 right.

FJ: :mrgreen:
Linear Gnome
One Miner Gal

Post by Linear Gnome »

econgator wrote: Sat May 14, 2022 11:07 pm
Linear Gnome wrote: Sat May 14, 2022 10:36 pm If the desired response were the Batman villain Mr. Freeze, I could see Fries, Victor Fries, Dr. Fries, or Mr. Freeze, but not M. Freeze. Is this analogous?
No. In M Butterfly, the female lead does not kill herself, the male lead does. Only Madame Butterfly satisfies the clue.
I was trying to explore whether "M. Butterfly" could be a valid response if there were no such thing as the play "M. Butterfly". I think I have convinced myself that the response would be invalid regardless (all "(The) Invisible Man" considerations aside).
alietr
Site Admin

Post by alietr »

brick wrote: Sat May 14, 2022 7:57 pm In “Holidays & Observances” would “Southie” have been accepted for South Boston, ya think?
Ken, yes. Mayim, no.
mahatma

Post by mahatma »

alietr wrote: Sun May 15, 2022 7:41 am
brick wrote: Sat May 14, 2022 7:57 pm In “Holidays & Observances” would “Southie” have been accepted for South Boston, ya think?
Ken, yes. Mayim, no.
It’s gotta at least be a BMS, I’d think.
opusthepenguin
The Best Darn Penguin on the Whole JBoard

Post by opusthepenguin »

Linear Gnome wrote: Sun May 15, 2022 12:39 am
econgator wrote: Sat May 14, 2022 11:07 pm
I was trying to explore whether "M. Butterfly" could be a valid response if there were no such thing as the play "M. Butterfly". I think I have convinced myself that the response would be invalid regardless (all "(The) Invisible Man" considerations aside).
Yeah, I'm coming around to your way of thinking (as I always do), but it would definitely be interesting to see a ruling on "M. Freeze" or similar. I wouldn't be terribly surprised if they took it. Which is not the same as saying they should take it.
triviawayne
Hoping I don’t drown in this contestant pool

Post by triviawayne »

alietr wrote: Sun May 15, 2022 7:41 am
Ken, yes. Mayim, no.
Maybe a yes done in post after an awkward pause because she has no idea what that is.
Total game show career losings = $171,522