TPH's sorta-retirement?

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

TenPoundHammer

TPH's sorta-retirement?

Post by TenPoundHammer »

I've struggled with this for years.

I feel like I was starting to watch game shows out of habit. After all, I've watched J! and Wheel since I was 4. But over time, it just became less fun. I began distracting myself by focusing more on the content than the contestants. With J!, that meant complaining about clue difficulty too much, failing to get a single FJ! right week after week, and so on. It got to the point where J! Board made an entire thread for me to vent, and I've wanted that thread gone for a while. With Wheel, it meant complaining about bad writing and honest contestant mistakes, even while I was continuing to maintain the WoF History wiki. And that itself started to feel like a chore every time a new episode was made public, or someone else on the Wiki made an edit that I thought was not constructive. Watching both shows started to feel more like an obligation, especially when my work schedule increasingly meant that I had to DVR and watch later -- or worse, jump through a bunch of hoops to find it when WNEM decided they didn't want to air it that day.

I don't think that my loss of passion for J! was solely due to Trebek's death. No one can be on TV forever, and I think the show is in good hands with Ken and Michael. And my passion for Wheel has greatly declined too, despite relatively fewer changes on that front. (That said, I think it's clear that a replacement for Pat is imminent.)

I think it's shown in my posting lately that I have less interest in J! and WoF than ever before. I still have no regrets for being a part of the online community for so long, dating back to the Sony boards. Despite some ups and downs, I've made legitimate friends through the online game show community, and I'd like to think that others see me as a friend, too. And I will never regret winning on WoF.

But for now, I think I need to leave places like this mostly behind. I won't be leaving entirely and may still lurk now and then. Some of you have other ways of contacting me, and I can PM you if you feel you still need me around for anything.
opusthepenguin
The Best Darn Penguin on the Whole JBoard

Re: TPH's sorta-retirement?

Post by opusthepenguin »

See you in the funny papers then! Best wishes and hope you find a good new hobby or obsession.
harrumph
Voyeur

Post by harrumph »

It's very normal to have ebbs and flows in life. One thing ebbs and another starts to flow.
We should all chip in and get a t-shirt for you that says "NHO WOF".
CyrusChan
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by CyrusChan »

watch it when you can. We can't all watch every episode. But always enjoyed seeing your comments. See you around!
squarekara
J! Reactionary

Post by squarekara »

Godspeed.
twelvefootboy

Post by twelvefootboy »

Live long and prosper.

Eleven years is a good run (not counting the Sony board). I don't know any other mandolin playing organists with perfect pitch to direct obscure music comments to. I have enjoyed your self-deprecating humor and your courtesy to other boardies even when some have been rude or insulting to you.

Stay thirsty, my friend.

Disclaimer - repeated exposure to author's musings may cause befuddlement.
floridagator

Post by floridagator »

Farewell, Hammer.

Always remember and never forget the only member of Jboard who ever gave you anything.

I'm talking of course about the shopping center development manual from the 1970s that appeared mysteriously on your doorstep. I found it in one of those little curbside libraries. I didn't even put it in an envelope. I just taped it shut and mailed it.
I'd rather cuddle then have sex. If you're into grammar, you'll understand.
brick

Post by brick »

Life is cyclical. I appreciate you posting and not just disappearing. And if you catch an episode and wonder what the folks over here are thinking about a particular bet, or how the heck people knew an answer... we'll leave the light on.
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

floridagator wrote: Tue May 17, 2022 5:51 am Farewell, Hammer.

Always remember and never forget the only member of Jboard who ever gave you anything.

I'm talking of course about the shopping center development manual from the 1970s that appeared mysteriously on your doorstep. I found it in one of those little curbside libraries. I didn't even put it in an envelope. I just taped it shut and mailed it.
Hammer acknowledged receiving the nhoh Greta Thunberg Person of the Year issue of Time I sent him.