LL Season 93

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns

Re: LL Season 93

Post by seaborgium »

One of the rare occasions where I have enough knowledge to overthink a sports question. "Oh, which college has the storied women's basketball team? [I believe I would have gotten there if I'd stayed on that trail.] Wait! 'Gatorade High School Basketball Player of the Year Award'? Gatorade is the hint, so it's not that other school; it's the University of Florida!" At least I assigned perfect defense and got a tie in both my matches.
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

UConn seemed too obvious. They have fallen back to the pack in recent years so I went with South Carolina.
triviawayne
Hoping I don’t drown in this contestant pool

Post by triviawayne »

twelvefootboy wrote: Fri May 27, 2022 11:52 pm
Thank Vladimir Putin for putting the Swift banking system into the news. And thank the Chiefs for dumping Marcus Peters while he had some trade stock.
I think you have the reverse, I suspect this question came about because Putin put it in the news. Without looking, I would even think this has been placed into the Current Events category.
Total game show career losings = $171,522
Volante
Harbinger of the Doomed Lemur

Post by Volante »

triviawayne wrote: Sat May 28, 2022 11:32 am
twelvefootboy wrote: Fri May 27, 2022 11:52 pm
Thank Vladimir Putin for putting the Swift banking system into the news. And thank the Chiefs for dumping Marcus Peters while he had some trade stock.
I think you have the reverse, I suspect this question came about because Putin put it in the news. Without looking, I would even think this has been placed into the Current Events category.
Business/Econ
The best thing that Neil Armstrong ever did, was to let us all imagine we were him.
Latest movies (1-10): Everything Everywhere All at Once (10), Ruby Gillman: Teenage Kraken (6), Black Sunday /1960/ (6), Marcel the Shell with Shoes On (7)
Lefty
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by Lefty »

seaborgium wrote: Sat May 28, 2022 4:22 am One of the rare occasions where I have enough knowledge to overthink a sports question. "Oh, which college has the storied women's basketball team? [I believe I would have gotten there if I'd stayed on that trail.] Wait! 'Gatorade High School Basketball Player of the Year Award'? Gatorade is the hint, so it's not that other school; it's the University of Florida!"
This was me too; I figured the Gatorade connection was more interesting for an international audience.

I thought I remembered the Khrushchev speech coming up in FJ, but maybe it was one I wrote myself. In any case, my only get of that day's match.
I'm smart and I want respect.
AFRET CMS
JBOARDIE OF THE MONTH!

Post by AFRET CMS »

I'm sure many, if not most or even all, participants have stories similar to my Friday. I missed my first perfect day by two letters when I answered "Les Mademoiselles" instead of "Les Demoiselles". As a result, I lost Friday 6(5) to 7(5), and dropped FOUR SPACES in the rankings.

Two letters = four spaces. I think I'm learning that the vicissitudes of LL may be part of what makes it fun.
I'm not the defending Jeopardy! champion. But I have played one on TV.
This Is Kirk!
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by This Is Kirk! »

AFRET CMS wrote: Fri May 27, 2022 10:31 pm
This Is Kirk! wrote: Fri May 27, 2022 12:18 pm Yesterday was a bloodbath for me. I only got two right.
I'm still new to the game so I'm still learning the glossary. I was feeling OK after getting five correct on Monday and Tuesday, then I guess I had a bloodbath Wednesday with two right. Then Thursday was only one correct (Khrushchev) after my mental coin came up the wrong way on WAGging two other answers -- sound vs lake and tackles vs interceptions. So, two is a bloodbath and zero I assume might be "skunked." Any term for one correct? Other than, "aw, $%!+" of course.
"Bloodbath" was my term. I don't think it's official LL jargon. :)
MasterCone
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by MasterCone »

AFRET CMS wrote: Sun May 29, 2022 3:08 pm I'm sure many, if not most or even all, participants have stories similar to my Friday. I missed my first perfect day by two letters when I answered "Les Mademoiselles" instead of "Les Demoiselles". As a result, I lost Friday 6(5) to 7(5), and dropped FOUR SPACES in the rankings.

Two letters = four spaces. I think I'm learning that the vicissitudes of LL may be part of what makes it fun.
I was super close to making this mistake, and then when I typed it out it just didn't look right and I realized. I did, however, type only "Demoiselles" without the Les, and figured I might not get credit because it kind of made it a "word" and not a "term". It was counted though.
Volante

Post by Volante »

Glad I saw this after I did yesterday's: https://www.cracked.com/image-pictofact ... olleyballs (#13)
...nah...California park and valley in a foreign language? It's either Yosemite or super obscure.
The best thing that Neil Armstrong ever did, was to let us all imagine we were him.
Latest movies (1-10): Everything Everywhere All at Once (10), Ruby Gillman: Teenage Kraken (6), Black Sunday /1960/ (6), Marcel the Shell with Shoes On (7)
countyguy
Vacuously Undefeated on J!

Post by countyguy »

I got my first beer yesterday in a season I played for real!

I knew a lot of them cold, and Yosemite was a WECIB. However, my final get surprised me. I didn’t think Thorsten would write a question that could be guessed simply by rephrasing the question as “what country has been in the news the most in the last few months and literally has its flag incorporated into the LL logo?”
twelvefootboy

Post by twelvefootboy »

Because nobody asked:

First round results of the tankathon are in. The Stankiest, Tankiest, and maybe Lankiest Jboardie is:

drum roll:

mahatma

mahatma won the main category of TPA to claim the yellow jersey and also holds the green, polka dot, and white jerseys for a perfect place total of 4.

The sleeper is the venerable trainman who held a 0.000 DE for a few games and faced two bagels but still managed to give 7 three-pointers in a row around them. Maybe round 2 will sync up to a kinder schedule :).

Three boardies opted out/ forgot/ are terrible at being terrible, and their names have been changed to protect the guilty. Round 2 is today, time to opt in :).

Disclaimer - repeated exposure to author's musings may cause befuddlement.
mahatma

Post by mahatma »

i AM the suck!!!
morbeedo
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by morbeedo »

Ack! Screamed on the reveal when I saw FLAMENCO typed in the space where I clearly knew TANGO belonged. Spent so much time on the other questions that I flubbed the one I knew cold. I suppose I should be happy it ended in a 7(5)-7(5) tie, but dang it! Grrrr
mahatma

Post by mahatma »

I guess I suck at sucking. After TFB bragged on my bad defense yesterday, he went out and totally confounded my efforts to give him all the points.
This Is Kirk!
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by This Is Kirk! »

The shield volcano question yesterday was an odd one. I said coral reef and I'm surprised only 16% said that. I wasn't thinking volcano at all for whatever reason. I think the word "formation" sounded more like a coral reef than a volcano to me.

Even though 58% overall got that one right, most people in my tracker got it wrong. Only five of 14 in my tracker got it right, and most people I track are in an A rundle.
morbeedo
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by morbeedo »

This Is Kirk! wrote: Thu Jun 02, 2022 11:02 am The shield volcano question yesterday was an odd one. I said coral reef and I'm surprised only 16% said that. I wasn't thinking volcano at all for whatever reason. I think the word "formation" sounded more like a coral reef than a volcano to me.
I focused on the name, Pūhāhonu, and figured a volcano somewhere in Oceania. Never considered anything else.
Volante

Post by Volante »

This Is Kirk! wrote: Thu Jun 02, 2022 11:02 am The shield volcano question yesterday was an odd one. I said coral reef and I'm surprised only 16% said that. I wasn't thinking volcano at all for whatever reason. I think the word "formation" sounded more like a coral reef than a volcano to me.

Even though 58% overall got that one right, most people in my tracker got it wrong. Only five of 14 in my tracker got it right, and most people I track are in an A rundle.
That a Hawaiian name was used got me think lava related. (Aa being the classic)
This Is Kirk!
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by This Is Kirk! »

morbeedo wrote: Thu Jun 02, 2022 12:07 pm
I focused on the name, Pūhāhonu, and figured a volcano somewhere in Oceania. Never considered anything else.
I figured I would have heard about a massive volcano somewhere (especially one larger than Mauna Loa), but that name was unfamiliar to me. I think that's why I didn't give more consideration to volcano.

By the way, the "honu" in the name is a reference to the sea turtle. Those who have been to Hawaii (and especially those who have dived or snorkeled there) might recognize that as the Hawaiian name for the green sea turtle you see in the islands frequently.
Sherm

Post by Sherm »

Didn't care for the (until July 2022) part of the California U question the other day. Not that it caused me to get it wrong. I live in Pennsylvania and my daughter in law graduated from Clarion last year. Those two along with Edinboro are going under a one name umbrella (Penn West). I knew the agreement was in place, and I thought it had already happened, but to everyone including kids finishing high school. I don't think anything has really changed.

All three schools are continuing to exist. They are all retaining their own sports programs (logos, colors, mascots), and I believe they will continue to have the individual school name on diplomas (at least I've read that). What I'm saying is California U will continue to exist just as it has before, and the question doesn't read that way to me. It even made me question if there was a another California U that was closing its doors, but I wasn't changing my answer.

There are three schools in the eastern part of the state that did the same thing (Lock Haven, Mansfield and Bloomsburg). It was more of a state mandate as I understand it. A lot of the smaller state schools are struggling, but all of the schools I've mentioned will continue to exist. IMO, they are trying to reduce administrative costs, at least I would think that is what they are going for.
AFRET CMS
JBOARDIE OF THE MONTH!

Post by AFRET CMS »

Similar thoughts. Thought the word sounded Polynesian, so immediately thought of volcanoes and coral. Ruled out volcanoes due to Mauna Loa and reef due to Great Barrier Reef. Left me with "atoll" as a guess.
I'm not the defending Jeopardy! champion. But I have played one on TV.