LL Season 93

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

Woof
Swimming in the Jeopardy! Pool

Re: LL Season 93

Post by Woof »

morbeedo wrote: Tue Jun 21, 2022 2:39 pm Demoted! (shakes fist angrily at the skies)
You'll be back in A before long, my friend.
Woof

Post by Woof »

Lefty wrote: Tue Jun 21, 2022 3:06 pm I said "corset" and didn't think it could really be anything else. Malayalam for the language, which at least is South Indian.

I shot par for the season and avoided relegation though my match score puts me on the bubble and I was outanswered by all three of my fellow bubblers. Showing again that it's easier to stay in A than to get there.
I said Gujarati, which turns out to be the 6th most spoken language in India. I knew it wasn't Tamil because that's restricted to the extreme south of India. Our finish in A Continental was a JBoard-fest: I managed to sneak into third on the last day when I managed to defeat my Branch founder and OQL captain Reddpen. In so doing, I moved past erstwhile boardie Slam. Meanwhile, my referrer and OQL teammate bomtr was firmly ensconced in the top spot, as is his wont.
morbeedo
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by morbeedo »

Woof wrote: Tue Jun 21, 2022 3:43 pm
morbeedo wrote: Tue Jun 21, 2022 2:39 pm Demoted! (shakes fist angrily at the skies)
Well, I set a new record for Most correct answers against, season: 114

:?
Woof

Post by Woof »

morbeedo wrote: Tue Jun 21, 2022 4:58 pm
Woof wrote: Tue Jun 21, 2022 3:43 pm
Well, I set a new record for Most correct answers against, season: 114

:?
#Alife
sarisson
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by sarisson »

I somehow survived in A despite tying for the fewest wins in my rundle. (I tied my previous record for ties with 8.) I also reached two career milestones: 2500 correct answers and 700 games without a forfeit. Next season, I should get my 300th win; I'm only one loss away from 300.
Hoping for a third lap
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

Me too, for the second season straight. A .710 DE, so that was good, but my QPct was below my avg for the 4th season running.
jjwaymee

Post by jjwaymee »

Big congratulations to Blue Lion on qualifying for the LL Championship! This season’s A Horizon podium was a clean sweep for Boardies, with the other two spots captured by myself and BigDaddyMatty.
kerryoakie
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by kerryoakie »

Well, it came down to MD25 where I needed a win or tie and someone in 2nd to 4th to lose and I came up short, sticking in D for another season. It's a little frustrating because the player who won our rundle in her sophomore season DEFINITELY should've been promoted to B or C out of her rookie season. She had 22 more TCA than the next closest player in our rundle and more TCA than all but one person in C! Maybe some battlefield promotion magic will let me go back to C, but I'm not holding my breath...
reddpen
Thrice Unplucked from the Jeopardy! Pool

Post by reddpen »

Woof wrote: Tue Jun 21, 2022 3:50 pm
Lefty wrote: Tue Jun 21, 2022 3:06 pm I said "corset" and didn't think it could really be anything else. Malayalam for the language, which at least is South Indian.

I shot par for the season and avoided relegation though my match score puts me on the bubble and I was outanswered by all three of my fellow bubblers. Showing again that it's easier to stay in A than to get there.
I said Gujarati, which turns out to be the 6th most spoken language in India. I knew it wasn't Tamil because that's restricted to the extreme south of India. Our finish in A Continental was a JBoard-fest: I managed to sneak into third on the last day when I managed to defeat my Branch founder and OQL captain Reddpen. In so doing, I moved past erstwhile boardie Slam. Meanwhile, my referrer and OQL teammate bomtr was firmly ensconced in the top spot, as is his wont.
I managed to change not just one but two right answers to wrong ones before submitting, though fixing both goofs wouldn't have affected the result. Knew Norton had broken Ali's jaw, but didn't think it was in 1973 or that Norton would be in a Boxing HoF so switched to Foreman, who Ali beat the only time they fought. And I had Ellis Island typed in as an unlikely/too obvious ("Everyone will miss this--hah!") guess before deciding Government Island was maybe a thing (turns out it's Governors Island). Assigning 3 to that was unwise.
Tried Punjab for the language--#11 in India.
In and out of the pool four times
Lefty

Post by Lefty »

reddpen wrote: Wed Jun 22, 2022 2:22 pm
I had Ellis Island typed in as an unlikely/too obvious ("Everyone will miss this--hah!") guess before deciding Government Island was maybe a thing (turns out it's Governors Island). Assigning 3 to that was unwise.
I thought the Liberty Island question might prove a trap for New Yorkers who were aware that Bedloe's Island had something to do with the statue but not that it was another name for Liberty Island (having worked in the tourism business, this would have been an unfortunate thing for me not to know).

In retrospect, "corset" looks much more French than Anglo-Saxon, but "thong" never appeared on my radar. "Certain settings" looked portentous and my mind ran to S&M clubs rather than the more genteel sort of place where you might expect to see thongs.
I'm smart and I want respect.
AFRET CMS
JBOARDIE OF THE MONTH!

Post by AFRET CMS »

Lefty wrote: Wed Jun 22, 2022 5:10 pm
I had Ellis Island typed in as an unlikely/too obvious ("Everyone will miss this--hah!") guess before deciding Government Island was maybe a thing (turns out it's Governors Island). Assigning 3 to that was unwise.
I thought the Liberty Island question might prove a trap for New Yorkers who were aware that Bedloe's Island had something to do with the statue but not that it was another name for Liberty Island (having worked in the tourism business, this would have been an unfortunate thing for me not to know).

In retrospect, "corset" looks much more French than Anglo-Saxon, but "thong" never appeared on my radar. "Certain settings" looked portentous and my mind ran to S&M clubs rather than the more genteel sort of place where you might expect to see thongs.
Maybe it's another regionalism (my mother was from Tennessee), but in my family as I was growing up we referred to "rubber flip-flops" as "shower thongs" ... or just plain "thongs." Probably would get strange looks if I talked about wearing thongs as a little boy. Fortunately, I looked past shower shoes and remembered using leather thongs to lace hiking boots.
I'm not the defending Jeopardy! champion. But I have played one on TV.
Woof

Post by Woof »

AFRET CMS wrote: Thu Jun 23, 2022 3:44 pm
Lefty wrote: Wed Jun 22, 2022 5:10 pm

Maybe it's another regionalism (my mother was from Tennessee), but in my family as I was growing up we referred to "rubber flip-flops" as "shower thongs" ... or just plain "thongs." Probably would get strange looks if I talked about wearing thongs as a little boy. Fortunately, I looked past shower shoes and remembered using leather thongs to lace hiking boots.
My mother, who grew up in Portland, OR, likewise referred to them as thongs. It might be more associated with earlier generations (for whom the more recent meaning meant little if anything) than a particular region. Since I grew up among many Japanese-American families, I also heard them called zoris.
twelvefootboy

Post by twelvefootboy »

I've been off the screen a lot since MD25, and there's a lot to unpack

1) congrats, AFRET on a solid performance, especially rookie defense. Your group had 4 Krakens who will burn up their B rundle before landing in A.
2) of course jjwaymee and BigDaddyMatty were dominant after relaxing in the JBoardhavoc lounge before each match. mahatma balanced his charitable giving by thumping his opponents to get 2nd in his A rundle. Sorry that trainman couldn't carry over his winning the PCAA race into a podium finish. I think that future sessions will comprise of the handicapped race for TPA (which favors d/e players), and the straight up PCAA (points per correct answer against), which evens out the schedule best.
3) I remain in E with 17th place in spite of better than tfb normal defense. I was second in TCA until the tough sledding in the last quarter of the season, wound up fifth with 65 TCA.

In re MD25, I seem to be the only one to connect chamois to chemise. I've no idea what a chemise is, but a soft leather rag could have been a cord at one time. I would have also gone with garter if I'd thought of it. And thong is next up.
AFRET CMS wrote: Thu Jun 23, 2022 3:44 pm Maybe it's another regionalism (my mother was from Tennessee), but in my family as I was growing up we referred to "rubber flip-flops" as "shower thongs" ... or just plain "thongs."
Same in Missouri, I never heard the term flip-flops until the 90's I think. I also used to call the kitchen forceps "thongs", but my wife made me quit.

You all know a lot of Indian languages. My good business friend explained the three he spoke to me but I don't remember what they were. I might have thought of Tamil, but I just put Sanskrit with no hope.

I'll kill some internet bits and bytes with JBoardhavoc results later..
Disclaimer - repeated exposure to author's musings may cause befuddlement.
triviawayne
Hoping I don’t drown in this contestant pool

Post by triviawayne »

Although this one is shared, it is my 2nd VBWA win.

There are virtually no women in a 19c novel; 1st film adaptation presented a change: main (human) character's female love interest central to plot. Her rejection (due to his amputation) was source of his animus & raison d'être.

A Farewell to Arms
Total game show career losings = $171,522
Woof

Post by Woof »

Attention science fiction fans: my cyberpunk 1DS is live today. Slap on your mirror shades and jack in!
twelvefootboy

Post by twelvefootboy »

July 21, 2022 • LL One-Day Special: NFL Quarterbacks

Putting in a plug for this 1DS. I volunteered as a tester and am curious how it's going to play out. Of course, no spoilers, but it is going to be all question-y and answer-y and points-y. The smith made a fun quiz and I hope she gets a good turnout! There's definitely something for everyone in it!

I also tested the golf course quiz which I thought was more of a modKos-R. I just blundered into the volunteer testing page and it was kind of cool to do it. I haven't been able to tackle many of the other 1-days so far.
BrigadierSolo13
Double Double Machine

Post by BrigadierSolo13 »

twelvefootboy wrote: Thu Jul 21, 2022 8:20 am July 21, 2022 • LL One-Day Special: NFL Quarterbacks

Putting in a plug for this 1DS. I volunteered as a tester and am curious how it's going to play out. Of course, no spoilers, but it is going to be all question-y and answer-y and points-y. The smith made a fun quiz and I hope she gets a good turnout! There's definitely something for everyone in it!

I also tested the golf course quiz which I thought was more of a modKos-R. I just blundered into the volunteer testing page and it was kind of cool to do it. I haven't been able to tackle many of the other 1-days so far.
Very fun quiz, I rate it 12/12 ;)
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

I suspect there will be about a 100-place tie for 1st.
jeff6286

Post by jeff6286 »

econgator wrote: Thu Jul 21, 2022 10:31 pm I suspect there will be about a 100-place tie for 1st.
I suspect you greatly overestimate how obvious it is which 5 questions are the hardest.
twelvefootboy

Post by twelvefootboy »

Discussion of live questions (minor) have been spoilerized. Reminder: No discussion of live questions!
Spoiler
jeff6286 wrote: Thu Jul 21, 2022 11:42 pm
econgator wrote: Thu Jul 21, 2022 10:31 pm I suspect there will be about a 100-place tie for 1st.
I suspect you greatly overestimate how obvious it is which 5 questions are the hardest.
This was the aspect I'm curious about, on both counts. I offered the viewpoint that it was dead easy from the football side, with the recency bias. But I let her know in perspective, I am an NFL fan somewhere above the casual fan level and less than the fantasy football / mock draft making level. I did need the alternate TOM to get/confirm a couple of them from earlier decades.