LL Season 93

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

mahatma
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Re: LL Season 93

Post by mahatma »

Volante wrote: Tue May 24, 2022 10:30 am *sigh of relief* My spoonerism was accepted (Sien Finn) and it saved me the win
That's how it sounds in a Derry accent.
morbeedo
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by morbeedo »

Lol I literally have a Pavlov flash card “1960 film — Psycho” and it still took me a minute to get it
Sherm

Post by Sherm »

Howard Carter. King Tuts tomb. Thats a given.

The Egyptian in all the stories. Had to be an assistant who dug with him. Was the Lord that financed the operation from Egypt? He had to be English, but there has to be an Egyptian that was with Carter all the time. I remember reading and they called in the finance guy before they opened the tomb, because they thought they might have something big. Has to be that guy, but I can't come up with the name.

That was frustrating. Once I saw the answer. It was really frustrating. My only defense, Tut was an artifact, not an Egyptian. I was one of three in the rundle to not get it right, and my brief stay in first place, well it was brief.

I have been replaced with an esteemed board member. Had I got it right I would have been replaced anyway, but a tie is better than a loss, and second place is better than sixth.
This Is Kirk!
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by This Is Kirk! »

Sherm wrote: Tue May 24, 2022 12:53 pm Howard Carter. King Tuts tomb. Thats a given.

The Egyptian in all the stories. Had to be an assistant who dug with him. Was the Lord that financed the operation from Egypt? He had to be English, but there has to be an Egyptian that was with Carter all the time. I remember reading and they called in the finance guy before they opened the tomb, because they thought they might have something big. Has to be that guy, but I can't come up with the name.

That was frustrating. Once I saw the answer. It was really frustrating. My only defense, Tut was an artifact, not an Egyptian. I was one of three in the rundle to not get it right, and my brief stay in first place, well it was brief.

I have been replaced with an esteemed board member. Had I got it right I would have been replaced anyway, but a tie is better than a loss, and second place is better than sixth.
Someone on the LL forums is arguing that a "person" can't be dead. This seems like a strange argument to me.

Lord Carnarvon was Carter's principle financier, but he was English.

I thought this was a classic Thorsten question and I loved it.
seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns

Post by seaborgium »

I was working at Activision when I appeared on Jeopardy, and I tested Guitar Hero: Aerosmith a year earlier. Furthermore, the CEO's kids went to my summer day camp (and his wife even invited me to their house in 2003, before I had any idea who he was).
SBurrus

Post by SBurrus »

I notched my third forfeit win of the season on MD6. I answered three questions correctly: Psycho, King Tut and Guitar Hero. I answered Yellow Canal for Grand Canal...thinking the Grand Canal was in Europe, for some reason. I was amazed at the extremely low get rate for that question.

Through 6 match days, I'm 3-3-0...all three wins by forfeit. When I've played anyone with a pulse in the general rundle, I have lost. I can't recall ever having 3 forfeit wins in one season...but I'll take it; definitely makes up for the several seasons when others got multiple forfeit wins but I did not.
mahatma

Post by mahatma »

seaborgium wrote: Tue May 24, 2022 1:41 pm I was working at Activision when I appeared on Jeopardy, and I tested Guitar Hero: Aerosmith a year earlier. Furthermore, the CEO's kids went to my summer day camp (and his wife even invited me to their house in 2003, before I had any idea who he was).
You don't by any chance look just like Vince Vaughn, do you?
countyguy
Vacuously Undefeated on J!

Post by countyguy »

SBurrus wrote: Tue May 24, 2022 1:54 pm I answered Yellow Canal for Grand Canal...thinking the Grand Canal was in Europe, for some reason.
The biggest canal in Venice is also called the Grand Canal.
Sherm

Post by Sherm »

This Is Kirk! wrote: Tue May 24, 2022 1:00 pm
Someone on the LL forums is arguing that a "person" can't be dead. This seems like a strange argument to me.
I'd agree, its a pretty weak argument. Tut was and will always be Egyptian.

I just did not consider him. It wasn't like I thought, Tut, well he's dead. It was like Tut didn't even exist in the conversation, except he's the only reason I have any clue who Howard Carter is.
Woof
Swimming in the Jeopardy! Pool

Post by Woof »

countyguy wrote: Tue May 24, 2022 2:18 pm
SBurrus wrote: Tue May 24, 2022 1:54 pm I answered Yellow Canal for Grand Canal...thinking the Grand Canal was in Europe, for some reason.
And that is exactly why I talked myself out of that answer, going instead for the East China Canal. BAH! At least my opponent missed it also.
This Is Kirk!
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by This Is Kirk! »

SBurrus wrote: Tue May 24, 2022 1:54 pm Through 6 match days, I'm 3-3-0...all three wins by forfeit.
That's pretty incredible with an overall league forfeit rate of around 3%.
Ironhorse
Second Banana

Post by Ironhorse »

I wasn't so sure "King Tut" would be accepted, so I made a very poor attempt at spelling that didn't pass the "sounds like" rule, but I was nonetheless given credit.

But alas, I lost to a 9(5) where my opponent missed just that one question.
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

countyguy wrote: Tue May 24, 2022 2:18 pm
That's the only one I know. I had the MCWA.
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

This Is Kirk! wrote: Tue May 24, 2022 4:14 pm
SBurrus wrote: Tue May 24, 2022 1:54 pm Through 6 match days, I'm 3-3-0...all three wins by forfeit.
No kidding. I have to go back eleven seasons to get 3 total FWs.
MattKnowles
selwonKttaM

Post by MattKnowles »

Super lucky guess with Milquetoast.

Does Opus play LL?
I had a dream that I was asleep and then I woke up and Jeopardy! was on.
This Is Kirk!
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by This Is Kirk! »

MattKnowles wrote: Wed May 25, 2022 2:46 am Super lucky guess with Milquetoast.
Yeah, I'd heard the story about the origin of that word before, but couldn't pull it. I dithered between geek, nerd, and dweeb and ended up going with dweeb.

Took a tough defensive loss yesterday 7(5)-6(5).
bluejaylink
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by bluejaylink »

econgator wrote: Tue May 24, 2022 10:42 pm
This Is Kirk! wrote: Tue May 24, 2022 4:14 pm
No kidding. I have to go back eleven seasons to get 3 total FWs.
I'm now in my 8th season and only have 1 forfeit win. Though a couple seasons ago one player in my rundle forfeited all 25 matches but I was never scheduled to play them haha. And I've managed not to forfeit any of my matches.

I wonder what the record is for consecutive matches without a forfeit win. With forfeit losses you are a bit more in control of your destiny and I know some people have some crazy long streaks.
triviawayne
Hoping I don’t drown in this contestant pool

Post by triviawayne »

This Is Kirk! wrote: Wed May 25, 2022 10:39 am
Yeah, I'd heard the story about the origin of that word before, but couldn't pull it. I dithered between geek, nerd, and dweeb and ended up going with dweeb.

Took a tough defensive loss yesterday 7(5)-6(5).
Nerd is from Dr. Seuss' "If I Ran the Zoo" in case you need it in the future.
Total game show career losings = $171,522
Sherm

Post by Sherm »

Does Opus play LL?
A question like this would normally kill me. I knew this one cold. Why?

https://j-archive.com/showgame.php?game_id=4494

I would love for someone to be able to explain why I remember this and not about 1000 other facts that would appear more often on Jeopardy.
mrparadise

Post by mrparadise »

Sherm wrote: Wed May 25, 2022 1:09 pm

Does Opus play LL?
A question like this would normally kill me. I knew this one cold. Why?

https://j-archive.com/showgame.php?game_id=4494

I would love for someone to be able to explain why I remember this and not about 1000 other facts that would appear more often on Jeopardy.

All I could dredge up from Bloom County was Opus. The Timid Soul by H T Webster by itself did nothing for me, but title character of timid soul begetting a new word got me to Milktoast, which was accepted. And I was almost positive that had been a FJ response not too long ago. I can't check the link because I still can't get to the archive from this laptop. Very annoying.