Tuesday, May 17, 2022 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

davey
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Re: Tuesday, May 17, 2022 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by davey »

I'll take clues like this every night....Actor with a rebellious image? Anti-establishment? Sexy? Writer with a similar reputation in the "contemporary" 50s? Kerouac it is!
I will say that Salinger is a good second choice...Kesey even better, if you leave off the sexy part (And he's more of a 60s guy.)... But Updike?? Too button-down.
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

opusthepenguin wrote: Tue May 17, 2022 9:08 pm Speaking of POETS, Mayim missed the opportunity to say Rrrrrobbie Burrrns. Again. Just like on February 9, 2022 for DD3. Sigh.
That's a "good on her", not a missed opportunity.
opusthepenguin
The Best Darn Penguin on the Whole JBoard

Post by opusthepenguin »

econgator wrote: Tue May 17, 2022 10:21 pm
opusthepenguin wrote: Tue May 17, 2022 9:08 pm Speaking of POETS, Mayim missed the opportunity to say Rrrrrobbie Burrrns. Again. Just like on February 9, 2022 for DD3. Sigh.
That's a "good on her", not a missed opportunity.
Next you'll be telling me the new hosts shouldn't over-pronounce "genre" or put on a thick Dracula accent for certain clues.
Golf

Post by Golf »

Opus, you are correct that if he hates the category it changes things. But here’s why I don’t think that’s the case.

His predicament is that he can’t wager an amount that guards against a zero bet from the lead while also locking out 3rd. Both wagers do allow him to go ahead of the leader on a WW assuming the leader makes the standard lockout wager.

So if that’s the case and he hates the category, the proper move is to wager nothing. I could get behind a zero wager especially against this champion. I can’t agree with his actual wager even though in a vacuum it’s perfectly reasonable.

Probably best for everybody that it didn’t matter.
opusthepenguin

Post by opusthepenguin »

Golf wrote: Tue May 17, 2022 10:38 pm Opus, you are correct that if he hates the category it changes things. But here’s why I don’t think that’s the case.

His predicament is that he can’t wager an amount that guards against a zero bet from the lead while also locking out 3rd. Both wagers do allow him to go ahead of the leader on a WW assuming the leader makes the standard lockout wager.

So if that’s the case and he hates the category, the proper move is to wager nothing. I could get behind a zero wager especially against this champion. I can’t agree with his actual wager even though in a vacuum it’s perfectly reasonable.

Probably best for everybody that it didn’t matter.
floridagator

Post by floridagator »

The first movie was Escape TO Witch Mountain.
The second movie was Return FROM Witch Mountain.

So I don't see the problem with The Great Escape From Witch Mountain.
I'd rather cuddle then have sex. If you're into grammar, you'll understand.
Volante
Harbinger of the Doomed Lemur

Post by Volante »

BrigadierSolo13 wrote: Tue May 17, 2022 2:44 pm That FJ can take a hike. What is going on lately?
Buckle in, we're at game 177/230...it's gonna get clunkier...

I had no idea how to tackle FJ so when it mattered, it was blank...but given an hour, and the guts, I'd go with EB White...
(Warning, it's dark!)
Both associated with death involving a sp[i/y]der
Timing's a little off...but if I'm getting it wrong, let's get it all the way wrong.
The best thing that Neil Armstrong ever did, was to let us all imagine we were him.
Latest movies (1-10): Everything Everywhere All at Once (10), Ruby Gillman: Teenage Kraken (6), Black Sunday /1960/ (6), Marcel the Shell with Shoes On (7)
Volante
Harbinger of the Doomed Lemur

Post by Volante »

floridagator wrote: Tue May 17, 2022 11:25 pm The first movie was Escape TO Witch Mountain.

:roll:

If we're going to be that loosey goosey with the rules, why not accept Stalag 17 to Witch Mountain while we're at it?!
The best thing that Neil Armstrong ever did, was to let us all imagine we were him.
Latest movies (1-10): Everything Everywhere All at Once (10), Ruby Gillman: Teenage Kraken (6), Black Sunday /1960/ (6), Marcel the Shell with Shoes On (7)
twelvefootboy

Post by twelvefootboy »

Two days in a row Ryan has made perfect situational bets in FJ as if he knew what his opponent was betting. He needs to get himself to a poker room.
I am in the camp that thought contemporary meant now. I agree it is phrased acceptably, but unless they intended some confusion, why not just say "in the fifties", or whenever the quote was. Nobody has trouble placing James Dean in the fifties so why create ambiguity? I wouldn't get Kirouac with a better clue. I didn't know he was a bad boy. Ryan seems to know his media clues.

I rarely kibitz the players about their clue selection, but between the guys, whoever found the DD2 was going to control the game. If you find it, then find DD3 and kill it. I guess Jason just couldn't win the buzzer battle.
I just scrabble answered "tepid" for "timid". It's a great clue that just locked up the player's brains
No bad vibes about Mayim's game tonight.
Disclaimer - repeated exposure to author's musings may cause befuddlement.
Robert K S
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by Robert K S »

Volante wrote: Tue May 17, 2022 11:29 pm If we're going to be that loosey goosey with the rules, why not accept Stalag 17 to Witch Mountain while we're at it?!
Ha!
harrumph
Voyeur

Post by harrumph »

For FJ I figured that they wanted an author who came after the post mortem mystique of James Dean kicked in, and thus went with Bret Easton Ellis.
Instead the FJ really meant "Name an important beat writer".
seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns

Post by seaborgium »

floridagator wrote: Tue May 17, 2022 11:25 pm The first movie was Escape TO Witch Mountain.

You couldn't leave well enough alone and rest on your laurels from being right about the title a few weeks ago. (Now that's what I call hubris!) The category specified Before and After, not simply combining elements from different movie titles.

This reminds me of a pub quiz writer who was unclear on the concept of B&A, and so our team (and presumably several others) struggled over coming up with titles that had an overlap to fit a particular mashed-up movie synopsis, only to find out at the end that the quizmaster wanted "When Harry Met Unaccompanied Minors."
RetiredDoc

Post by RetiredDoc »

I thought of Kerouac right away since the reference to James Dean made me think 1950’s and rebellious. I was actually surprised only Ryan got it
floridagator

Post by floridagator »

seaborgium wrote: Tue May 17, 2022 11:53 pm

You couldn't leave well enough alone and rest on your laurels from being right about the title a few weeks ago.
I underthought. There is no overlap without TO. But what title did I get right a few weeks ago?

P.S. Kim Richards was really a fox in Return From...
I'd rather cuddle then have sex. If you're into grammar, you'll understand.
seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns

Post by seaborgium »

floridagator wrote: Wed May 18, 2022 12:45 am
seaborgium wrote: Tue May 17, 2022 11:53 pm

You couldn't leave well enough alone and rest on your laurels from being right about the title a few weeks ago.
I underthought. There is no overlap without TO. But what title did I get right a few weeks ago?
viewtopic.php?p=375245#p375245
BigDaddyMatty
Hoping not to get pruney this time

Post by BigDaddyMatty »

Coryat: $37,600
47 R/1 W
DD: 3/3
FJ: :(
LT: mortise, The Fairie Queene, Lebanon, China Grove, John Bunyan, timid, plant trees

Congrats to Ryan for (mostly) putting the hammer down on exactly the right kind of DD, and then for solving a tricky FJ! I matched Justinne's response of Salinger, though I had little confidence since I've never known of him having any sort of cool, rebellious mystique. Kerouac never occurred to me.

Speaking of Ryan's DD category, I would have added an extra dash in the title on the game board. A word with dashes in the middle suggests the censoring of an unsavory word, which made at least this perennial middle schooler read the category title as SCORING A TURD.

It's funny that "China Grove" came up in this game. Just this morning, that song was playing on the radio as my wife and I got out of the car at the supermarket. I proceeded to point out that it's kind of a weird song if you pay attention to the lyrics. Apparently, there's this town in Texas (a real town, by the way) where, because the town name happens to contain the word "China," the townspeople are all deeply steeped in East Asian culture. Um, OK.
Sprinkles are for winners.
yclept

Post by yclept »

Ryan is making solid strategic FJ wagers. I would never be able to do that from first place out of complete fear of getting overtaken by someone who goes big in FJ.

There is the aspect of wanting to secure as much $ as possible if your streak stops at four, but I don’t know if you can really think that way. If he feels that this is the best strategic way to keep winning games, then it is tough to criticize that.
opusthepenguin

Post by opusthepenguin »

yclept wrote: Wed May 18, 2022 3:13 am Ryan is making solid strategic FJ wagers. I would never be able to do that from first place out of complete fear of getting overtaken by someone who goes big in FJ.
I hadn't considered the possibility that there was some second order thinking going on here, but I suppose it's possible. Do you think it makes sense for Ryan to maintain the strategy now that the competition knows his strategy?
nserven
At the Clam Shack

Post by nserven »

For those wondering, apparently the "contemporary" review appeared in Time and was contemporary in the sense of "at the time of the book's publication":

https://books.google.com/books?id=Jbktv ... 22&f=false

Not sure the comparison of Kerouac to Dean is entirely apt--I think of Kerouac as less of a rebel, more of a hyperactive child--but I can see how it made sense as an initial impression.
Woof
Swimming in the Jeopardy! Pool

Post by Woof »

BigDaddyMatty wrote: Wed May 18, 2022 1:07 am Coryat: $37,600
47 R/1 W
DD: 3/3
FJ: :(
LT: mortise, The Fairie Queene, Lebanon, China Grove, John Bunyan, timid, plant trees

Congrats to Ryan for (mostly) putting the hammer down on exactly the right kind of DD, and then for solving a tricky FJ! I matched Justinne's response of Salinger, though I had little confidence since I've never known of him having any sort of cool, rebellious mystique. Kerouac never occurred to me.

Speaking of Ryan's DD category, I would have added an extra dash in the title on the game board. A word with dashes in the middle suggests the censoring of an unsavory word, which made at least this perennial middle schooler read the category title as SCORING A TURD.

It's funny that "China Grove" came up in this game. Just this morning, that song was playing on the radio as my wife and I got out of the car at the supermarket. I proceeded to point out that it's kind of a weird song if you pay attention to the lyrics. Apparently, there's this town in Texas (a real town, by the way) where, because the town name happens to contain the word "China," the townspeople are all deeply steeped in East Asian culture. Um, OK.
I recall having to disabuse a friend back in the day of the idea that the song references a type of heroin. He was unfortunately conflating this song with Little Feat's China White (RIP Lowell George).