Wednesday, May 18, 2022 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

Archivists
Fan-created archive of games and players

Wednesday, May 18, 2022 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by Archivists »

J! Round
Archivists

Re: Wednesday, May 18, 2022 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by Archivists »

DJ! Round
Archivists

Post by Archivists »

theFJguy
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by theFJguy »

FINAL JEOPARDY! CATEGORY
OSCAR-WINNING SONGS

FINAL JEOPARDY! CLUE
Johnny Mercer’s lyrics to this 1961 Oscar-winning song once began, "I’m Holly"

Ryan Long: 26600-10000=16600 (4x = $86,600)
Adriana Ramírez: minus 200
Audrey Kamzan: 7200+5000=12200

Correct response:
Spoiler
”Moon River” (Ryan – Hi mom)

Daily Doubles
Ryan: 2600+1000
Ryan: 15400+8000
Adriana: 800-1000

Coryats
Ryan: 19400
Adriana: 800
Audrey: 7200

Combined: 27,400

Scores at the end of the Jeopardy! Round
Ryan: 8600
Adriana: 2800
Audrey: 3200
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

Audrey got DJ30 for $400 to make sure Adriana could not play the FJ! round. With the game at 26600 to 7600 Adriana could have bet less than her 800 on DD3 to create her own chance to make it to the end of the game as $1000 was not going to prove anything.

A nice big 8 by Ryan again to put the match away (as long as Audrey did not find & convert DD3) while a second big bet burned Ryan on the FJ! clue.

I matched Audrey who (fittingly) got it right as I had no doubt with the pen down before the music.

Ryan passed Margaret and Christine on the tracker, but left himself shy of Jackie and John on the 4x spots. When counting the eventual SCT winner that has Ryan in the bubble spot at 15.
Robert K S
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by Robert K S »

What a wild swing in FJ! gettability from one day to the next. Atonement for yesterday?

Mercer was a 4-time winner and 18-time nominee in the category between 1939 and 1972. A few years (like 1941 and 1944) he was even nominated twice for different songs. The Mercer-Mancini duo also won the year following the FJ! year for "Days of Wine and Roses". But the extra pinning detail in the FJ! clue ought to prevent a player from putting that one down on the telewriter.
BrigadierSolo13
Double Double Machine

Post by BrigadierSolo13 »

Robert K S wrote: Wed May 18, 2022 1:50 pm What a wild swing in FJ! gettability from one day to the next. Atonement for yesterday?
+1

This is the kind of multi-step trivia puzzle that a FJ should be. Not "interpret what we mean with this assortment of words and you might have a guess that's correct."
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

Guess what day it is: https://j-archive.com/showgame.php?game_id=7360

Where did the writers come with DJ!0? Curious if LSV knows what seems to me a $4000 clue.
LucarioSnooperVixey
Carrying Letters and Lemons

Post by LucarioSnooperVixey »

59 R (Couldn't get Elizabeth Holmes.)
DD: 3/3
FJ: :mrgreen:
Douglas Squasoni
MasterCone
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by MasterCone »

MarkBarrett wrote: Wed May 18, 2022 2:49 pm
Where did the writers come with DJ!0? Curious if LSV knows what seems to me a $4000 clue.
This was an easy $2000 grab for me, but I'm into birding, and Steller's Jay & the connection to Steller's Sea Cow registered instantly. This was a near dream board for me overall. I even ran the TV category despite my usual crap pop culture performances.
DBear
Denier of Pop Culture

Post by DBear »

MarkBarrett wrote: Wed May 18, 2022 2:49 pm Guess what day it is: https://j-archive.com/showgame.php?game_id=7360

Where did the writers come with DJ10? Curious if LSV knows what seems to me a $4000 clue.
Guessed Linnaeus, NHO correct response. :?

24/0, 20/2
trash: phalanges, St. Vincent, Jammu, Urbana DD, grotto, hematoma.
Seemed like a good clean game to start, then the wheels came off in DJ.
:D :oops: :D :( on betting clues. Guessed Odysseus for Achilles, so what's the next clue? :crazy:
FJ! was a no-hoper for me. Tried to tie it to "Holly Jolly Christmas". :(
Plactus

Post by Plactus »

As one of those "meme" things the kids are all about these days might say:
If I had a nickel for every time I followed a Final Jeopardy! clue about movie songs to the right movie without any hope of following through to the right song, I'd have two nickels. Which isn't a lot, but it's weird that it's happened twice.
Oh, what has science wrought? I sought only to turn a man into a metal-encased juggernaut of destruction powered by the unknown properties of a mysterious living crystal. How could this have all gone wrong?
BigDaddyMatty
Hoping not to get pruney this time

Post by BigDaddyMatty »

Coryat: $34,000
45 R/3 W
DD: 3/3
FJ: :(
LT: The Book of Mormon, gouda & edam, phalanges, St. Vincent, Urbana (DD), grotto, hematoma

Very dominant win for Ryan. It will be interesting to see what his opponents' stats were, but he seems to be hitting his stride.

I recognized that they were asking for the song from Breakfast at Tiffany's, but I had no idea "Moon River" was from that film.

Having owned an iPhone for nearly a decade, I am rather embarrassed to have blanked on Safari.

NHO Jammu. Apparently, the Indian portion of the disputed territory is called "Jammu and Kashmir."

Adriana put herself in a bad spot with the DD3 wager and miss, but given that all three positions were locked, it would have been nice to see Audrey let off the gas on the final clue and give Audrey a chance to participate in FJ!
Sprinkles are for winners.
Ironhorse
Second Banana

Post by Ironhorse »

I knew Jammu from my Wikipedia editing past. "Jammu and Kashmir" articles are among the most hotly debated on the site, if not the most.
opusthepenguin
The Best Darn Penguin on the Whole JBoard

Post by opusthepenguin »

MasterCone wrote: Wed May 18, 2022 4:21 pm
MarkBarrett wrote: Wed May 18, 2022 2:49 pm
This was an easy $2000 grab for me, but I'm into birding, and Steller's Jay & the connection to Steller's Sea Cow registered instantly.
Aha! Those sound a tiny bit familiar, especially the jay. No way I was getting it, but at least I can see the way in other than just knowing it. For me, naturalist on a boat is Charles Darwin or it's no one I know. And 1740s is the wrong century for Darwin.
twelvefootboy

Post by twelvefootboy »

BigDaddyMatty wrote: Wed May 18, 2022 7:55 pm Adriana put herself in a bad spot with the DD3 wager and miss, but given that all three positions were locked, it would have been nice to see Audrey let off the gas on the final clue and give Audrey a chance to participate in FJ!
Yeah, I always like to think that the players would do that. I had the impression that James H eased up a few times in the endgame when it was down to chump change and someone struggling to get to Final. Audrey maybe thought she had a shot at the 50% - I can't imagine doing the math in real time.

The reason you can't recall the Safari browser is due to battered Apple user syndrome. Their ecosystem is none of our business. I left the Apple prison after Iphone 3 and the absurd mandatory Itunes requirement. Unfortunately I went back in at Iphone 12 for the 5g and the camera :(.

I have fact checked this the best I can, and my replay shows our Neuroscientist host pronouncing philanges as "philanjiz". I've never heard anything but "philanjeez". My fonetic spelling isn't very good, see pasting:

Pasting the screen capture is beyond my media skills.

Ryan is about as cool a character and is exceptional at media type clues and the clues targeted for baby boomers. I couldn't come up with Spassky in real time. His wager call of betting $8K "again" kind of belied the illusion that this game was on a different day. Mayim handled it well with fake bewilderment/enthusiasm.

I had no path to the FJ. I transposed Johnny Mercer with Johnny Mathis and guessed "Chances are".
Disclaimer - repeated exposure to author's musings may cause befuddlement.
twelvefootboy

Post by twelvefootboy »

dreaded double post. I hit the stop button, honest...
Last edited by twelvefootboy on Wed May 18, 2022 10:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Disclaimer - repeated exposure to author's musings may cause befuddlement.
CyrusChan

Post by CyrusChan »

I tried to search, "Achilles" on J archive, but was re-routed to a google search of it and j-archive.

Is that happening for anyone else? I thought the search pulled up tags/words
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

Robert K S wrote: Wed May 18, 2022 1:50 pm What a wild swing in FJ! gettability from one day to the next.
No swing for me. Didn't have a clue yesterday, didn't have a clue today (I figured it was Holly Golightly/BaT, but didn't know it had songs in it).
Woof
Swimming in the Jeopardy! Pool

Post by Woof »

MarkBarrett wrote: Wed May 18, 2022 2:49 pm Guess what day it is: https://j-archive.com/showgame.php?game_id=7360

Instaget for me. Both Steller’s Jays and Sea Cows are known to me.