Wednesday, May 18, 2022 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

twelvefootboy
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Re: Wednesday, May 18, 2022 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by twelvefootboy »

davey wrote: Thu May 19, 2022 8:36 pm
floridagator wrote: Thu May 19, 2022 5:22 pm
Mayim others herself with her pronunciations, e.g. singer.
The point of "othering" is that people do it to others, not to themselves...Like you're doing here...And it's creepy.
I NHO the concept of "othering". My minute of research doesn't elucidate it clearly, but why couldn't you do it to yourself? I haven't noticed any idiosyncrasies in Mayim's speech but if she articulates singer, then good for her. I articulate water and a few other words because I don't think that beginning ESL speakers should speak better English than I do. It's also a courtesy to help my interactions with Japanese speakers in my career.

We've left the game thread topic, but I was mildly curious if the strict pronunciation of philanges gets dropped among medical professionals after freshman biology class.
Disclaimer - repeated exposure to author's musings may cause befuddlement.
davey

Post by davey »

twelvefootboy wrote: Thu May 19, 2022 10:21 pm
The point of "othering" is that people do it to others, not to themselves...Like you're doing here...And it's creepy.
I NHO the concept of "othering". My minute of research doesn't elucidate it clearly, but why couldn't you do it to yourself? I haven't noticed any idiosyncrasies in Mayim's speech but if she articulates singer, then good for her. I
You should spend a few more minutes. floridagator wasn't complimenting her for her articulation, and was misusing the term.
floridagator

Post by floridagator »

davey wrote: Thu May 19, 2022 10:46 pm
I NHO the concept of "othering". My minute of research doesn't elucidate it clearly, but why couldn't you do it to yourself? I haven't noticed any idiosyncrasies in Mayim's speech but if she articulates singer, then good for her. I
You should spend a few more minutes. floridagator wasn't complimenting her for her articulation, and was misusing the term.
Oh, please. Alex himself avoided Canadian pronunciations. Just tonight, a coach with a strong southern accent came on TV, and coastal people near me yelled, "Hillbilly!" If Mayim pronounces singer with a hard g (who does that, really), she's going to sound different from other people.
I'd rather cuddle then have sex. If you're into grammar, you'll understand.
davey

Post by davey »

floridagator wrote: Fri May 20, 2022 12:54 am Oh, please. Alex himself avoided Canadian pronunciations.
!!!
seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns

Post by seaborgium »

floridagator wrote: Fri May 20, 2022 12:54 am
davey wrote: Thu May 19, 2022 10:46 pm
Oh, please. Alex himself avoided Canadian pronunciations. Just tonight, a coach with a strong southern accent came on TV, and coastal people near me yelled, "Hillbilly!" If Mayim pronounces singer with a hard g (who does that, really), she's going to sound different from other people.
The issue isn't whether she sounds different, it's the fact that you're making a thing about it. Did you like people calling someone a hillbilly for a southern accent? Your post reads like a complaint, and yet you're using it to justify your own behavior. (And speaking of othering, it's pretty rich for someone with "florida" in their handle to call people "coastal.")
brick

Post by brick »

Adriana Ramírez, who competed in this game, wrote about it.
https://www.theatlantic.com/ideas/archi ... ng/670950/