Reflections on the Box Score Era: On Buzzer Speed and Depth of Knowledge

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

Woof
Swimming in the Jeopardy! Pool

Reflections on the Box Score Era: On Buzzer Speed and Depth of Knowledge

Post by Woof »

Now that we’ve had several months’ worth of box scores to peruse, a couple of trends have emerged. Although it’s axiomatic that success at J! depends critically on your timing with the signaling device, it’s also true that superchamps have been characterized also by attempting to ring in on 40-45 clues per game. This can be contrasted with the typical contestant who attempts to get in on 30-35 clues per game.

Thus, it seems that — in addition to possessing good to excellent timing with the signaling device — most champions and super champions possess a deeper well of knowledge than the average contestant. For those of us hopefuls who doubt our ability to ring in regularly, this suggests that knowing most of the answers should at least keep you competitive.
triviawayne
Hoping I don’t drown in this contestant pool

Re: Reflections on the Box Score Era: On Buzzer Speed and Depth of Knowledge

Post by triviawayne »

What would the numbers be for someone like me who would probably have a high buzzer percentage, but a lower number of attempts?
Total game show career losings = $171,522
Golf
Wet Paper Bag Charmer

Post by Golf »

Knowledge is relatively constant, buzzer timing is not. One with superior knowledge always has a chance to win because they can pick off high dollar clues with no competition. Without superior knowledge one is fighting for lower dollar clues against most likely both players instead of one or none. And buzzer timing can change from game to game due to adrenaline, emotions, and two different contestants.

Both styles can win and lose, relying solely on buzzer timing has much higher variance.
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

Having multiple games under your belt should give you an advantage with the buzzer. If you don’t get the hang of it you aren’t going to win even if you are Ken Jennings.
Woof
Swimming in the Jeopardy! Pool

Post by Woof »

triviawayne wrote: Thu May 19, 2022 2:56 pm What would the numbers be for someone like me who would probably have a high buzzer percentage, but a lower number of attempts?
Against the average contestant, you'd have a shot (80% of 25 is better than 50% of 35) but against the typical champion you'd have problems because they'd be nearly as successful as you on a greater number of attempts. Of course, if you're small number of attempts focused on higher-valued clues, a perhaps unlikely scenario, all bets are off.
triviawayne

Post by triviawayne »

Woof wrote: Thu May 19, 2022 4:09 pm
triviawayne wrote: Thu May 19, 2022 2:56 pm What would the numbers be for someone like me who would probably have a high buzzer percentage, but a lower number of attempts?
Against the average contestant, you'd have a shot (80% of 25 is better than 50% of 35) but against the typical champion you'd have problems because they'd be nearly as successful as you on a greater number of attempts. Of course, if you're small number of attempts focused on higher-valued clues, a perhaps unlikely scenario, all bets are off.
Do we have enough typical champions to know 35 is typical? We’ve had a few superchamps in the stats era.
BigDaddyMatty
Hoping not to get pruney this time

Post by BigDaddyMatty »

triviawayne wrote: Thu May 19, 2022 9:58 pm
Do we have enough typical champions to know 35 is typical? We’ve had a few superchamps in the stats era.
Excluding Amy and Mattea, the average winner (n=59) has attempted to buzz 34.98 times. The average non-winner (n=182) has attempted to buzz 31.14 times.
Sprinkles are for winners.
triviawayne

Post by triviawayne »

BigDaddyMatty wrote: Fri May 20, 2022 2:05 am
triviawayne wrote: Thu May 19, 2022 9:58 pm
Excluding Amy and Mattea, the average winner (n=59) has attempted to buzz 34.98 times. The average non-winner (n=182) has attempted to buzz 31.14 times.
wow. didn't really feel like we had that many already. When I get on, I'll be sure to have a container of sprinkles in my pocket.
opusthepenguin
The Best Darn Penguin on the Whole JBoard

Post by opusthepenguin »

BigDaddyMatty wrote: Fri May 20, 2022 2:05 am Excluding Amy and Mattea, the average winner (n=59) has attempted to buzz 34.98 times. The average non-winner (n=182) has attempted to buzz 31.14 times.
I can see the headline at a typical news site now: ATTEMPTING TO BUZZ IN MORE ON JEOPARDY INCREASES CHANCE OF WINNING.

Less reputable sites, of course, will go with WIN ON JEOPARDY WITH ONE WEIRD TRICK
BrigadierSolo13
Double Double Machine

Post by BrigadierSolo13 »

opusthepenguin wrote: Fri May 20, 2022 10:55 am
BigDaddyMatty wrote: Fri May 20, 2022 2:05 am Excluding Amy and Mattea, the average winner (n=59) has attempted to buzz 34.98 times. The average non-winner (n=182) has attempted to buzz 31.14 times.
I can see the headline at a typical news site now: ATTEMPTING TO BUZZ IN MORE ON JEOPARDY INCREASES CHANCE OF WINNING.

Less reputable sites, of course, will go with WIN ON JEOPARDY WITH ONE WEIRD TRICK
I tried to click on that second paragraph but it didnt work...
BobF
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by BobF »

BrigadierSolo13 wrote: Fri May 20, 2022 12:23 pm
opusthepenguin wrote: Fri May 20, 2022 10:55 am

I tried to click on that second paragraph but it didnt work...
Check your antivirus. I got a PM from you saying “Look what I found” and a video
Was once hugged by Maggie Speak!