Friday, May 20, 2022 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

Woof
Swimming in the Jeopardy! Pool

Re: Friday, May 20, 2022 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by Woof »

Like Ryan, I found todays boards a bit weird: I got 18 right in SJ and 25 right in DJ, reverse of my usual trend. I agree that FJ was trivia 101, but only mildly surprised that it went 1/3.
alietr
Site Admin

Post by alietr »

twelvefootboy wrote: Fri May 20, 2022 11:44 pm Another "huzzah" (I think that's a good thing?) for showing the category onscreen in FJ.
Now if we could only get them to keep them on the screen for those stupid 'in' categories (today's was That's In Admissible!).
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

alietr wrote: Sat May 21, 2022 6:49 am
twelvefootboy wrote: Fri May 20, 2022 11:44 pm Another "huzzah" (I think that's a good thing?) for showing the category onscreen in FJ.
Now if we could only get them to keep them on the screen for those stupid 'in' categories (today's was That's In Admissible!).
I kept thinking the base word was inadmissible.
John Boy
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by John Boy »

Bamaman wrote: Fri May 20, 2022 5:14 pm Like the Seven Wonders, the Seven Sisters should be on your short list study guide.
Is the Leaning Tower of Pisa one of the Seven Sisters?
mrparadise

Post by mrparadise »

It was just Mayim trying to fun it up, almost certainly scripted. They do that a lot now, although Ken is quick enough to come up with some really good ad libs. I'm not sure but I think Alex probably didn't see the need for scripted "fun" and could probably ignore scripted suggestions if he were given any.

Did I miss anything important in that Adele "Hello" riposte with Toni? If so, I fully support Mayim trying to fun it up.
[/quote]
DavidRosen
Valued Contributor

Post by DavidRosen »

How certain is it that the painting is of Fawkes alone and not one of the other conspirators as well? My immediate response to the Gunpowder Plot was Chidiock Tichbourne, who was captured with Fawkes. He wrote a heartbreaking poem to his wife the night before he was executed, with great savagery. It's sometimes anthologized as "On the Eve of his Execution." My favorite name from literature.

Any shot at getting credit?
twelvefootboy wrote: Fri May 20, 2022 11:44 pm I didn't know Lake Baikal was in Siberia, but I knew it was in the 'hood so I fittingly got this straightforward clue that didn't require an iterative process of guessing authors and titles and characters and timeframes. Kind of a cross between YEKIOYD and WECIB.
harrumph wrote: Fri May 20, 2022 9:36 pm I'm officially irritated at Mayim continually saying the complete response after every response.
Maybe you can get used to it as long as all the questions get cleared. I like it fine. She does it in a way that is not critical or aggrandizing, is obviously just confirming/informing the viewers, and does it quickly. I knew the guy in the painting (pun not intended), but Li-Mae's reply of "who is Fawkes" was so quick that it could have been mistaken for an f-bomb to some viewers. Lots of people have heard the name or expression "Guy Fawkes", but would not connect the dots based on just the blurted last name. So Mayim says "yes, Guy Fawkes", and the show moves on and some viewers can pretend they knew the answer because they heard of that guy (just can't avoid the puns). Win win win.

Another "huzzah" (I think that's a good thing?) for showing the category onscreen in FJ.

Did I miss anything important in that Adele "Hello" riposte with Toni? If so, I fully support Mayim trying to fun it up.
MattKnowles
selwonKttaM

Post by MattKnowles »

Bamaman wrote: Fri May 20, 2022 5:14 pm Like the Seven Wonders, the Seven Sisters should be on your short list study guide.
Seven Summits show up a lot. Seven dwarfs show up occasionally. Seven deadly sins are pretty frequent.

What else is there?
I had a dream that I was asleep and then I woke up and Jeopardy! was on.
BrigadierSolo13
Double Double Machine

Post by BrigadierSolo13 »

MattKnowles wrote: Sat May 21, 2022 10:57 am
Seven Summits show up a lot. Seven dwarfs show up occasionally. Seven deadly sins are pretty frequent.

What else is there?
I guess add the Seven Modern Wonders of the World. The Seven Cities of Cibola will come up, but not each individual one, just the overall idea.
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

MattKnowles wrote: Sat May 21, 2022 10:57 am

What else is there?
A short list study guide is something I made up. There are a number of topics they cover a lot that are made up of a relatively limited number of items where there isn’t much they can answer about. The wonders, sisters, sins, and dwarfs would be on the list. For the wonders, just know their names, locations, and a general idea of what they looked like and you are good to go. For the sisters, maybe know which Ivy they are affected with.

Others you need to know:
Planets-names, order, and moons
SCOTUS Chief Justices-names and a major case
Simple machines
World capitals-not a short list, but it helps to know ones beyond London and Paris that come up a good bit
seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns

Post by seaborgium »

DavidRosen wrote: Sat May 21, 2022 10:53 am How certain is it that the painting is of Fawkes alone and not one of the other conspirators as well? My immediate response to the Gunpowder Plot was Chidiock Tichbourne, who was captured with Fawkes. He wrote a heartbreaking poem to his wife the night before he was executed, with great savagery. It's sometimes anthologized as "On the Eve of his Execution." My favorite name from literature.

I don't think so; if there was more than one detainee in the picture, I'm pretty sure there was only one in the zoomed-in detail that appeared as Mayim said "this conspirator." Plus Tichborne seems to be regularly depicted with a long, forked beard, and no one in the picture had a beard if notable length. (One has his back to the viewing plane and is looking over his shoulder, so I can't say with certainty that he doesn't have a beard, but he seems to be one of the detainers.) Here's a link to the picture so you can see for yourself.
Volante
Harbinger of the Doomed Lemur

Post by Volante »

seaborgium wrote: Sat May 21, 2022 2:34 pm
DavidRosen wrote: Sat May 21, 2022 10:53 am How certain is it that the painting is of Fawkes alone and not one of the other conspirators as well? My immediate response to the Gunpowder Plot was Chidiock Tichbourne, who was captured with Fawkes. He wrote a heartbreaking poem to his wife the night before he was executed, with great savagery. It's sometimes anthologized as "On the Eve of his Execution." My favorite name from literature.

I don't think so; if there was more than one detainee in the picture, I'm pretty sure there was only one in the zoomed-in detail that appeared as Mayim said "this conspirator." Plus Tichborne seems to be regularly depicted with a long, forked beard, and no one in the picture had a beard if notable length. (One has his back to the viewing plane and is looking over his shoulder, so I can't say with certainty that he doesn't have a beard, but he seems to be one of the detainers.) Here's a link to the picture so you can see for yourself.
I dunno, that guy in the painting looks pretty anonymous to me
The best thing that Neil Armstrong ever did, was to let us all imagine we were him.
Latest movies (1-10): Everything Everywhere All at Once (10), Ruby Gillman: Teenage Kraken (6), Black Sunday /1960/ (6), Marcel the Shell with Shoes On (7)
Woof
Swimming in the Jeopardy! Pool

Post by Woof »

Volante wrote: Sat May 21, 2022 4:50 pm

Boo!
seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns

Post by seaborgium »

Volante wrote: Sat May 21, 2022 4:50 pm

I needed Woof's reaction (or a capital A) to recognize this as a joke.
Ironhorse
Second Banana

Post by Ironhorse »

https://www.inquirer.com/entertainment/ ... .html?s=09

Great read about Ryan; he had to leave his bus driving job following a Covid hospitalization and he was struggling with bills when he got The Call (and had to have help flying out), and only brought two shirts because it's all he could afford. Easily my favorite rooting interest of the season.
Golf

Post by Golf »

Good read
alietr
Site Admin

Post by alietr »

Ironhorse wrote: Sun May 22, 2022 8:06 pm https://www.inquirer.com/entertainment/ ... .html?s=09

Great read about Ryan; he had to leave his bus driving job following a Covid hospitalization and he was struggling with bills when he got The Call (and had to have help flying out), and only brought two shirts because it's all he could afford. Easily my favorite rooting interest of the season.
Like manna from heaven for him. Good for him.
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

Thanks for sharing that.
floridagator

Post by floridagator »

Interesting that Vangelis (with a hard g) came up the week he died.
I'd rather cuddle then have sex. If you're into grammar, you'll understand.
BigDaddyMatty
Hoping not to get pruney this time

Post by BigDaddyMatty »

Ironhorse wrote: Sun May 22, 2022 8:06 pm https://www.inquirer.com/entertainment/ ... .html?s=09

It's wonderful to hear that this will literally be life-changing money for him.
Sprinkles are for winners.