Thursday, May 26, 2022 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

Plactus
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Re: Thursday, May 26, 2022 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by Plactus »

I knew one had to be the Baltic, and was debating between the Black and Caspian Seas for the other. I briefly considered Aegean, and even that was too far east.
Oh, what has science wrought? I sought only to turn a man into a metal-encased juggernaut of destruction powered by the unknown properties of a mysterious living crystal. How could this have all gone wrong?
Leander

Post by Leander »

Plactus wrote: Thu May 26, 2022 7:03 pm I knew one had to be the Baltic, and was debating between the Black and Caspian Seas for the other. I briefly considered Aegean, and even that was too far east.
I knew one had to be the Baltic and the other either the Adriatic or Black Sea. Settled on Adriatic since the Black Sea would have left Yugoslavia and Albania outside the curtain.
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

Bamaman wrote: Thu May 26, 2022 6:52 pm Might have helped if she had explained the silent letter category in advance.
Shouldn't need it when the category is called "The Silent Consonant in ...".

Matched Ryan for FJ.
BigDaddyMatty
Hoping not to get pruney this time

Post by BigDaddyMatty »

The plural of anecdote is not data, but in the two days since our fine feathered friend brought up the question of DD placement, the DJ! DDs have been in consecutive columns 100% of the time.
Sprinkles are for winners.
opusthepenguin
The Best Darn Penguin on the Whole JBoard

Post by opusthepenguin »

BigDaddyMatty wrote: Thu May 26, 2022 7:58 pm The plural of anecdote is not data, but in the two days since our fine feathered friend brought up the question of DD placement, the DJ! DDs have been in consecutive columns 100% of the time.
Yep. My DD choosing didn't work as well today. I got the correct category for SJ: THE UNITED NATIONS. Chose $1600 and it was $1200. Didn't get either category right for the DJ DDs. My worst showing so far. :)
John Boy

Post by John Boy »

doihavetoreally wrote: Thu May 26, 2022 1:57 pm
MarkBarrett wrote: Thu May 26, 2022 1:44 pm Not a pretty game with 0/6 on wagering clues, double digit wrong and double digit TS.
No kidding!

I'm sure many boardies will get not only a 4th podium but we need to bring out a 5th podium too.

The county misses / UN sec gen. stick out pretty badly.
Yeah, those were rather shocking stand-and-stares.

Meanwhile I got one correct answer because I remembered that the other dinosaurs were unable to hear the pterodactyl urinate because the "P" is silent.

OK, I'll go to my room now.
Ironhorse
Second Banana

Post by Ironhorse »

Since video categories naturally are going to eat up time, ideally, they should be somewhat interesting. This category on athletic shoes wasn't.
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

Ironhorse wrote: Thu May 26, 2022 8:10 pm Since video categories naturally are going to eat up time, ideally, they should be somewhat interesting. This category on athletic shoes wasn't.
Here’s some random dude that collects tennis shoes. Sounds exciting.
opusthepenguin

Post by opusthepenguin »

Robert K S wrote: Thu May 26, 2022 3:17 pm If you wanted to walk from Gdańsk to Trieste (roughly the curtain defined by the seas in the clue), going smack through Vienna in the process, Google Maps estimates it would take you 251 hours. Change your ending point further southeast, into Croatia, or Montenegro, or Albania, and you add 50 or 100 hours.
Churchill's endpoints were "Stettin in the Baltic" and "Trieste in the Adriatic". "Stettin" in its Polish spelling is Szczecin. From there to Trieste is a walk of some 665 miles which Google thinks will take you 221 hours.

https://www.google.com/maps/dir/Szczeci ... !3e2?hl=en

If you don't want to cut through Austria, it will take longer.

That first sentence is very poetically constructed in an iambic meter for the most part--trimeter, tetrameter, tetrameter, trimeter. It's easy to memorize and worth doing so.
Robert K S
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by Robert K S »

opusthepenguin wrote: Thu May 26, 2022 8:20 pm Churchill's endpoints were "Stettin in the Baltic" and "Trieste in the Adriatic".
I didn't know that--1/2, not bad guesses from just looking at a map.
opusthepenguin

Post by opusthepenguin »

When the clue asked for the late mother of Max Brooks, I couldn't help but think of poor Mel, watching this all alone because Carl is gone. :cry: At least it wasn't a TS.

Ryan got bit by the silent letter category not once but twice. His first response was with a word rather than the silent letter within that word. But the word he chose was incorrect anyway. This may have prevented him from absorbing Mayim's explanation that N (not hymn) was the correct response because of the category. So when he went back to the category, he lost some more money by saying "What is numb?" rather than "What is B?" That's a total of $1400 gone due to that mistake. Plus $800 to Tory on the rebound.

I derped on "secretary general". I'm having a slow day. I knew it was "[something] general" and cycled through inspector general, attorney general, witchfinder general and I forget what else without landing on the right one. That said, secretaries general of the UN is one of those small, finite lists, like the 7 wonders of the ancient world, that one ought to swot up on before a Jeopardy! appearance. In the process, one will of course learn the name of the position, which is all this clue wanted.

"Belgian detective" is one of those Pavlovs that should be easy to learn. Ryan got it with no trouble. I've known this ever since Murder By Death (1976 though I saw it two or three years later on TV). Peter Falk's character, Sam Diamond (stand-in for Sam Spade), refers to James Coco's Milo Perrier (a stand-in for Poirot) as a Frenchie. Coco replies indignantly, "I'm not a Frenchie, I'm a Belgie!"

I knew the line from Churchill, so this FJ was a gimme. I had plenty of time to read the clue carefully and make sure it was asking for Baltic and Adriatic rather than Stettin and Trieste.
CyrusChan

Post by CyrusChan »

lots of lach trash
Golf

Post by Golf »

In accordance with board tradition, I must point out that Peter Moore, designer of the AirJordans, passed away earlier this month.
Volante
Harbinger of the Doomed Lemur

Post by Volante »

BigDaddyMatty wrote: Thu May 26, 2022 3:45 pm I went back and forth between Mediterranean and Adriatic, not knowing the text of the speech. (I chose...poorly.) The clue is not worded well. It is ambiguous as to whether it requires a) the seas mentioned by Churchill in the "Iron Curtain" speech, or b) the seas actually served by the cities mentioned in that speech. If the former, Baltic and Adriatic is the only acceptable response. If the latter, Mediterranean should be accepted in place of Adriatic.
Even if the latter, it'd be wrong. They've BMSed Mediterranean for Adriatic once
https://www.j-archive.com/showgame.php?game_id=3528

and also flat out ruled Mediterranean wrong twice when going for Adriatic
https://www.j-archive.com/showgame.php?game_id=2314 (this was a DD)
https://www.j-archive.com/showgame.php?game_id=5849

But with no BMS during FJ, its gonna be wrong.

So there was an Around the World in 80 Days TOM in J!....and then it was a response in DJ! Can't imagine that happening often!

Evil writers using the book's planet. The movie used Jupiter because the effects team couldn't make a good looking Saturn.

No Animaniacs fans among the contestants... (1:24, but I'm not queuing it up)
The best thing that Neil Armstrong ever did, was to let us all imagine we were him.
Latest movies (1-10): Everything Everywhere All at Once (10), Ruby Gillman: Teenage Kraken (6), Black Sunday /1960/ (6), Marcel the Shell with Shoes On (7)
twelvefootboy

Post by twelvefootboy »

countyguy wrote: Thu May 26, 2022 1:39 pm Judges: Mediterranean and Baltic?
These are the places I usually stay in Atlantic City. Only two to four dollars to camp or Ten to Twenty dollars for a green cabin. I can't say I like the clue since it introduces the ambiguity of Mediterranean vs. Adriatiac. Technically they are all Atlantic Ocean to me. And Europe and Asia is one continent, so I am not allowed to comment :evil:

doihavetoreally wrote: Thu May 26, 2022 1:57 pm
The county misses / UN sec gen. stick out pretty badly.
I think that the clue required too much unpacking for simply : "Name the top position in the UN". I NHO a chief administrative officer in any business capacity and it doesn't sound like the CEO/Big Cahuna/Top Dog. I got it before the buzzer but only because I knew we've only had a few Sec-Gen's. I couldn't place Yazoo County, so I guess I'm not a Faulkner fan. Mayim came off a little snarky on that one. She gave it back when she admitted she NHO sybaritic. (I've seen it, couldn't use it in a sentence but would know where it doesn't fit).

In 2017 Antonio Guterres of Portugal became the 9th person to occupy this post, chief administrative officer of the U.N.
Bamaman wrote: Thu May 26, 2022 6:52 pm Might have helped if she had explained the silent letter category in advance.
Agreed. Even though she clarified why "N" was the right answer in clue 2, I think Alex or Ken would have said "remember the category". (which I still would have failed at, because, CRS syndrome).
I've said this before, but in my head I always say Wed - nes - day as 3 syllables. Hooked on Fonix, lol...

Ryan is getting small paydays. He's also playing from behind a bit much, but his opponents can't get out of their own way.
Disclaimer - repeated exposure to author's musings may cause befuddlement.
MattKnowles
selwonKttaM

Post by MattKnowles »

Black Sea and Baltic sea for me. Also said Gomorrah instead of Babylon.

The short list of secretaries-general is a good thing to memorize for the show.

Need to get in the habit of picking DD locations like Opus suggested. I keep remembering after they find the DD.

Ryan is starting to miss a lot more clues than typical champions. 7 today, 5 yesterday, 6 on Tuesday. Sometimes I miss a lot when I play from home because I try to guess.

I got ailerons today and I've missed it before. I also remembered to say Aragon instead of Aragorn. For the second time in less than a week I missed with "Saks" when given Fifth Avenue. First Tiffany's now Cartier.
I had a dream that I was asleep and then I woke up and Jeopardy! was on.
BigDaddyMatty
Hoping not to get pruney this time

Post by BigDaddyMatty »

twelvefootboy wrote: Thu May 26, 2022 11:01 pm I couldn't place Yazoo County, so I guess I'm not a Faulkner fan. Mayim came off a little snarky on that one.
I'm not sure how snarky you're being here, but FYI, Yoknapatawpha is the fictional Mississippi county in which Faulkner set many of his stories. It's definitely a Pavlov worth filing away. You don't have to actually know/be able to pronounce the name. You just have to recognize it and match it to Faulkner/Mississippi.
Sprinkles are for winners.
cosmos

Post by cosmos »

In modern usage the aileron is not called a flap. Flaps are extended to increase lift. A flaperon combines the function of flaps and ailerons.
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

BigDaddyMatty wrote: Fri May 27, 2022 12:54 am
twelvefootboy wrote: Thu May 26, 2022 11:01 pm I couldn't place Yazoo County, so I guess I'm not a Faulkner fan. Mayim came off a little snarky on that one.
I'm not sure how snarky you're being here, but FYI, Yoknapatawpha is the fictional Mississippi county in which Faulkner set many of his stories. It's definitely a Pavlov worth filing away. You don't have to actually know/be able to pronounce the name. You just have to recognize it and match it to Faulkner/Mississippi.
I recognized the fictional one from Faulkner, even though I’ve never read much of his stuff. Had it at Itawamba as it borders the county in Alabama where I grew up.

I think the writers were trolling mentioning the election.
mrparadise

Post by mrparadise »

opusthepenguin wrote: Thu May 26, 2022 8:20 pm
Robert K S wrote: Thu May 26, 2022 3:17 pm If you wanted to walk from Gdańsk to Trieste (roughly the curtain defined by the seas in the clue), going smack through Vienna in the process, Google Maps estimates it would take you 251 hours. Change your ending point further southeast, into Croatia, or Montenegro, or Albania, and you add 50 or 100 hours.
Churchill's endpoints were "Stettin in the Baltic" and "Trieste in the Adriatic". "Stettin" in its Polish spelling is Szczecin. From there to Trieste is a walk of some 665 miles which Google thinks will take you 221 hours.

https://www.google.com/maps/dir/Szczeci ... !3e2?hl=en

If you don't want to cut through Austria, it will take longer.

That first sentence is very poetically constructed in an iambic meter for the most part--trimeter, tetrameter, tetrameter, trimeter. It's easy to memorize and worth doing so.
[/quote

I used to know that line but couldn't bring it up in 30 seconds, went with the Baltic and the Med, would have been a snap in LL. Important to remember Fulton MO, which Pavlovs to both Churchill and Iron Curtain. Always good to hear Churchill orate. Why, it's Churchillian!