2022 Audition Questions

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

Jeffreygallup
Loyal Jeopardista

Re: 2022 Audition Questions

Post by Jeffreygallup »

I took the zoom audition test this morning along with 19 others. Oddly, about 10 slots of the 200 assigned for this Tuesday-Friday round were unfilled. (All for today were filled, however.) Laura was our host, and we were all visible to each other. Most were casually dressed; I wore my burgundy velvet jacket. Ethnically the group was mostly youngish white males. I saw three women and one minority person - I think a Chinese-American male. This makeup is consistent with the in-person auditions I had attended earlier.

Laura provided some patter as she walked us through the instructions, but the mood was subdued and the event didn't have the excitement and enthusiasm of a true in-person audition. Importantly, you have to reregister for the test using a link that briefly flickers on your screen. I missed it. Fortunately, Laura noticed and reposted the link so I could proceed.

The test then proceeded similar to the anytime test, except only 8 seconds are allowed to respond as opposed to 15. I might have gotten a few more right with the extra seconds. As I recall, the in-person pen and paper test is also 8 seconds, but you can go back and answer those you left unanswered if you have time. I completely blanked on the name of a famous movie director, whose production company name and much of whose filmography I recalled instantly - just not his name. It came to me later.

I got ~41 right, neither my best nor my worst. A couple of clues had appeared in some form on Jeopardy in the past few months, I think.

Laura told us we might hear back about next steps in the audition process in a few days, in ten months, or never. We can take the anytime test again in a year if we have not heard back.

Good luck to all!
triviawayne
Hoping I don’t drown in this contestant pool

Post by triviawayne »

Jeffreygallup wrote: Fri Jun 24, 2022 4:53 pm I took the zoom audition test this morning along with 19 others. Oddly, about 10 slots of the 200 assigned for this Tuesday-Friday round were unfilled. (All for today were filled, however.) Laura was our host, and we were all visible to each other. Most were casually dressed; I wore my burgundy velvet jacket. Ethnically the group was mostly youngish white males. I saw three women and one minority person - I think a Chinese-American male. This makeup is consistent with the in-person auditions I had attended earlier.

Laura provided some patter as she walked us through the instructions, but the mood was subdued and the event didn't have the excitement and enthusiasm of a true in-person audition. Importantly, you have to reregister for the test using a link that briefly flickers on your screen. I missed it. Fortunately, Laura noticed and reposted the link so I could proceed.

The test then proceeded similar to the anytime test, except only 8 seconds are allowed to respond as opposed to 15. I might have gotten a few more right with the extra seconds. As I recall, the in-person pen and paper test is also 8 seconds, but you can go back and answer those you left unanswered if you have time. I completely blanked on the name of a famous movie director, whose production company name and much of whose filmography I recalled instantly - just not his name. It came to me later.

I got ~41 right, neither my best nor my worst. A couple of clues had appeared in some form on Jeopardy in the past few months, I think.

Laura told us we might hear back about next steps in the audition process in a few days, in ten months, or never. We can take the anytime test again in a year if we have not heard back.

Good luck to all!
Did you record it that you know your score?
Total game show career losings = $171,522
Jeffreygallup
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by Jeffreygallup »

No. I simply wrote down in brief the clues for which I did not know the response or was uncertain, and then looked up the correct responses later. I could have tried to record, but I was afraid I might lose the zoom link.
Woof
Swimming in the Jeopardy! Pool

Post by Woof »

triviawayne wrote: Fri Jun 24, 2022 5:55 pm
Jeffreygallup wrote: Fri Jun 24, 2022 4:53 pm I took the zoom audition test this morning along with 19 others. Oddly, about 10 slots of the 200 assigned for this Tuesday-Friday round were unfilled. (All for today were filled, however.) Laura was our host, and we were all visible to each other. Most were casually dressed; I wore my burgundy velvet jacket. Ethnically the group was mostly youngish white males. I saw three women and one minority person - I think a Chinese-American male. This makeup is consistent with the in-person auditions I had attended earlier.

Good luck to all!
Did you record it that you know your score?
Speaking only for myself, I usually have a good ballpark guess of my score. In the days of sherder’s recordings, I was usually within 1-2 of the correct number. In the case of the audition test last Thursday (in which I was joined by DHK among others) there were only a handful of questions I didn’t know outright. Two were guesses that proved correct, three were things I knew that I blanked on :oops: :oops: and two were NFC questions that proved gettable after the reveal. So, I’m pretty sure that I got 44-45.
DysonSphere
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by DysonSphere »

Good luck to all!
I had the same experience. Thanks for your thoughts. It seems now like everyone who passes the online test gets a Zoom test. Presumably they then narrow the pool with whom they invite to a Zoom audition. I liked being able to audition last year, even though I was not selected. This new approach does seem more effective from a process perspective.
RandyG
Founder of the Royal House of JBoardie of the Month

Post by RandyG »

. . .

The test then proceeded similar to the anytime test, except only 8 seconds are allowed to respond as opposed to 15. I might have gotten a few more right with the extra seconds. As I recall, the in-person pen and paper test is also 8 seconds, but you can go back and answer those you left unanswered if you have time.
I'm trying to get a full picture of the zoom test...

Up to 20 testers per session, each in their own zoom box on the screen. The testers will see on their screen the interactive test, such as they're taking the anytime (or before that the scheduled online) test, but with 8 seconds to answer rather than 15. I'm supposing that a working webcam is a requirement for being proctored. Also supposing that once the test starts, you lose the ability to see the others.... or certainly you'd be wise to block viewing the others as an unnecessary distraction.

Is that correct?

Everybody describes this as a zoom test. Is it literally Zoom? I'm not that familiar with the details of "professional" Zoom, but the security, privacy, interactivity, and proctoring, etc requirements might have dictated that these setups required customization of the existing Zoom platform.
Woof

Post by Woof »

RandyG wrote: Sat Jun 25, 2022 2:29 pm

. . .

The test then proceeded similar to the anytime test, except only 8 seconds are allowed to respond as opposed to 15. I might have gotten a few more right with the extra seconds. As I recall, the in-person pen and paper test is also 8 seconds, but you can go back and answer those you left unanswered if you have time.
I'm trying to get a full picture of the zoom test...

Up to 20 testers per session, each in their own zoom box on the screen. The testers will see on their screen the interactive test, such as they're taking the anytime (or before that the scheduled online) test, but with 8 seconds to answer rather than 15. I'm supposing that a working webcam is a requirement for being proctored. Also supposing that once the test starts, you lose the ability to see the others.... or certainly you'd be wise to block viewing the others as an unnecessary distraction.

Is that correct?

Everybody describes this as a zoom test. Is it literally Zoom? I'm not that familiar with the details of "professional" Zoom, but the security, privacy, interactivity, and proctoring, etc requirements might have dictated that these setups required customization of the existing Zoom platform.
It starts out as a standard Zoom meeting with 20 or so people in attendance. They then paste a URL in chat that takes you to a registration page on your browser (they specify the most recent Chrome update but it worked fine for me in the latest Firefox). Once everyone has successfully registered, a standard online test begins. In an addition to the shorter times, the other deviation from the norm is that the clues are spoken in addition to being on your screen.
RandyG
Founder of the Royal House of JBoardie of the Month

Post by RandyG »

Woof wrote: Sat Jun 25, 2022 3:11 pm It starts out as a standard Zoom meeting with 20 or so people in attendance. They then paste a URL in chat that takes you to a registration page on your browser (they specify the most recent Chrome update but it worked fine for me in the latest Firefox). Once everyone has successfully registered, a standard online test begins. In an addition to the shorter times, the other deviation from the norm is that the clues are spoken in addition to being on your screen.

Thanks, M! That's certainly a far simpler setup than I was imagining, when proctoring is removed from the equation. And the shorter time to answer -- placing the test phase closer to "the real thing" -- also makes it harder to work in cahoots with somebody.
opusthepenguin
The Best Darn Penguin on the Whole JBoard

Post by opusthepenguin »

Woof wrote: Sat Jun 25, 2022 3:11 pm It starts out as a standard Zoom meeting with 20 or so people in attendance. They then paste a URL in chat that takes you to a registration page on your browser (they specify the most recent Chrome update but it worked fine for me in the latest Firefox).
Don't you have Chrome at all? I would've been afraid to take the risk.
Jeffreygallup
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by Jeffreygallup »

Adding to Woof's response:

My errors, besides the movie director I blanked on, were:

another blank;
3 I vaguely knew about but couldn't recall in the moment;
2 I should have been able to figure out and might have with a little time;
1 difficult one I might have been able to figure out.

Subjects were typical Jeopardy! categories. No before and after or other wordplay, which used to be a mainstay of the old online tests, as I recall.

It would be interesting to know if in fact, all passers of the anytime test now receive a zoom audition test. I took the anytime test on April 9 2020 and got no zoom audition out of it. I took it again on August 7 2021 and again on JeoparDAY (March 30) this year, and just took the online zoom audition last Friday, June 24, 2022.
Last edited by Jeffreygallup on Sun Jun 26, 2022 10:13 am, edited 1 time in total.
zzplaysfaster

Post by zzplaysfaster »

RandyG wrote: Sat Jun 25, 2022 3:54 pm
Woof wrote: Sat Jun 25, 2022 3:11 pm It starts out as a standard Zoom meeting with 20 or so people in attendance. They then paste a URL in chat that takes you to a registration page on your browser (they specify the most recent Chrome update but it worked fine for me in the latest Firefox). Once everyone has successfully registered, a standard online test begins. In an addition to the shorter times, the other deviation from the norm is that the clues are spoken in addition to being on your screen.

Thanks, M! That's certainly a far simpler setup than I was imagining, when proctoring is removed from the equation. And the shorter time to answer -- placing the test phase closer to "the real thing" -- also makes it harder to work in cahoots with somebody.
If I am remembering correctly about the time when I took the Zoom Test last August, the 8 second timer doesn't start until the audio finishes reading the clue, and you can begin typing your answer as soon as the question appears, so the timer is 8 seconds but I think it comes out to around 15 just like on the Anytime Test when you include the audio time reading the question.
triviawayne

Post by triviawayne »

I wouldn’t be writing things down on camera during a proctored test, they might not like what they are seeing.

I took the anytime test today and passed again, we’ll see what happens.
DysonSphere

Post by DysonSphere »

zzplaysfaster wrote: Sat Jun 25, 2022 7:31 pm If I am remembering correctly about the time when I took the Zoom Test last August, the 8 second timer doesn't start until the audio finishes reading the clue, and you can begin typing your answer as soon as the question appears, so the timer is 8 seconds but I think it comes out to around 15 just like on the Anytime Test when you include the audio time reading the question.
Yes, my feeling was it works out the same as the Anytime/Online Test. The reason is it takes time for them to read the questions. I did not feel I had any more or less time to answer the questions in the Zoom Test than the Anytime/Online Test.
morbeedo
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by morbeedo »

Many pass the Zoom proctored test and never receive the gameplay audition invite, sadly.
triviawayne

Post by triviawayne »

morbeedo wrote: Sun Jun 26, 2022 6:16 pm Many pass the Zoom proctored test and never receive the gameplay audition invite, sadly.
I am of the belief not everyone who passes the anytime test gets a proctored test. They are getting way more people to take the anytime test now that auditions aren't in select cities, meaning they get way more people passing the test. Even in the 1/2 hour blocks with up to 20 people at a time, I just don't see them getting to everyone.

That's just my opinion, I could be wrong.

Because we do know of those who pass the proctored test not getting to the next step, we can only assume it is a random draw as was done in the past. Really no need for them to change what was working. What we really don't know at this point is how many get to step 3, but because it is on Zoom, I can guess it is far more than the 2500 per year as in the past.
DysonSphere

Post by DysonSphere »

triviawayne wrote: Sun Jun 26, 2022 8:27 pm I am of the belief not everyone who passes the anytime test gets a proctored test. They are getting way more people to take the anytime test now that auditions aren't in select cities, meaning they get way more people passing the test. Even in the 1/2 hour blocks with up to 20 people at a time, I just don't see them getting to everyone.

Because we do know of those who pass the proctored test not getting to the next step, we can only assume it is a random draw as was done in the past. Really no need for them to change what was working. What we really don't know at this point is how many get to step 3, but because it is on Zoom, I can guess it is far more than the 2500 per year as in the past.
If we can confirm someone who knows they passed the Anytime Test didn't receive a Zoom Test invite, that would imply random selection. But anecdotally, it seems so far like everyone who passed the Anytime Test got the Zoom invite within a few weeks. They seem to have moved to constantly Zoom testing model. It's plausible they could be Zoom Testing all Anytime passers now and building a massive pool they can then select from depending on what their casting needs are. That's how I would do it anyway!

I appreciated when they used to tell us more like whether we passed the Zoom Test. And I liked being able to audition. But from a process perspective I understand it's cleaner to just keep contestants in the dark.
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

DysonSphere wrote: Sun Jun 26, 2022 10:08 pm
triviawayne wrote: Sun Jun 26, 2022 8:27 pm I am of the belief not everyone who passes the anytime test gets a proctored test. They are getting way more people to take the anytime test now that auditions aren't in select cities, meaning they get way more people passing the test. Even in the 1/2 hour blocks with up to 20 people at a time, I just don't see them getting to everyone.

If we can confirm someone who knows they passed the Anytime Test didn't receive a Zoom Test invite, that would imply random selection. But anecdotally, it seems so far like everyone who passed the Anytime Test got the Zoom invite within a few weeks. They seem to have moved to constantly Zoom testing model. It's plausible they could be Zoom Testing all Anytime passers now and building a massive pool they can then select from depending on what their casting needs are. That's how I would do it anyway!

I appreciated when they used to tell us more like whether we passed the Zoom Test. And I liked being able to audition. But from a process perspective I understand it's cleaner to just keep contestants in the dark.
I've passed it a couple of times and have never received a Zoom invite.
Woof

Post by Woof »

DysonSphere wrote: Sun Jun 26, 2022 10:08 pm

I took the Anytime test in 2021 and 2022 and never got a Zoom test email. I last took the Anytime test on JeoparDay and got my Zoom test invite two weeks ago. It certainly doesn’t feel automatic
triviawayne

Post by triviawayne »

We know that in the past, about 10,000 people per year passed. With the new system, we also know that number is much higher, what we don't know is how much higher.

Even with 10,000 per year, if they Zoom tested every day of the year (which we know they don't), that's 27 people per Zoom.

I just don't see them having time, let alone spending the money on it, to allow everyone who passes online to take a Zoom test. The show did just fine with 2500 people being added to the revolving door of the pool in a 12-month period, they have no need to make that number bigger. They are making the number bigger, but we don't know how big.

I think what we are really seeing is that they are getting to so many more people in a year (previously about 2500), that we are seeing a much higher percentage of people who pass the initial test of getting to step #2, but not everyone.
Volante
Harbinger of the Doomed Lemur

Post by Volante »

RandyG wrote: Sat Jun 25, 2022 3:54 pm

You're still on zoom doing the test as well. You can see other contestants (depending how your zoom windows are tiled, I only saw like, 4 of them when I did it) but they do mute you.
The best thing that Neil Armstrong ever did, was to let us all imagine we were him.
Latest movies (1-10): Everything Everywhere All at Once (10), Ruby Gillman: Teenage Kraken (6), Black Sunday /1960/ (6), Marcel the Shell with Shoes On (7)