Tuesday, June 21, 2022 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

opusthepenguin
The Best Darn Penguin on the Whole JBoard

Re: Tuesday, June 21, 2022 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by opusthepenguin »

cf1140 wrote: Wed Jun 22, 2022 5:59 am
Linear Gnome wrote: Tue Jun 21, 2022 6:00 pm
Lefty wrote: Tue Jun 21, 2022 5:26 pm "Kai-shek" is clearly not enough answer; Jenny should feel lucky if she gets a prompt there.
That and accepting "Ravel" in the "M.R." category. I guess I'll keep watching Mayim, but I don't have to be happy about it.
It happened with the "Fathers and Sons" clue in this game, and the judges reversed the ruling:

https://www.j-archive.com/showgame.php?game_id=5059
Good recall! I wonder if it makes a difference that "I.T." was in quotation marks. That's a pretty rough ruling with no BMS, just a clawback after an initial acceptance. $4000 swing. Yikes. Of course, that just meant Matt Jackson had $36,800 instead of $40,800 going into FJ against opponest with $4400 and $3000.

It seems like lately they've been consistent in ruling that "last name is fine" trumps "initials refer to a first and last name". I'm ok with that as long as they're consistent, though I'd prefer a clear and consistently applied rule that both names are required in this scenario.
opusthepenguin

Post by opusthepenguin »

alietr wrote: Wed Jun 22, 2022 11:38 am
opusthepenguin wrote: Wed Jun 22, 2022 2:22 am I almost forgot! Credit to the great Fawlty Towers over 40 years ago for giving me the information I needed to pick up that Bordeaux TS.
Spoiler
Poor Manuel.
Oh, it's ok. He's from Barcelona.
nserven
At the Clam Shack

Post by nserven »

I'd be annoyed in that moment if I had been one of Megan or Jenny and I was ready to pounce on the rebound because I knew both of the composer's names. That's a $4,000 swing.
DavidRosen
Valued Contributor

Post by DavidRosen »

opusthepenguin wrote: Wed Jun 22, 2022 2:22 am I almost forgot! Credit to the great Fawlty Towers over 40 years ago for giving me the information I needed to pick up that Bordeaux TS.

Sean Connery as Bond has the same line. The bad guy is posing as a waiter, and Bond smokes him out when he doesn't know that a Bordeaux is a claret. Dunno which movie, and I'm too lazy to find it.
Volante
Harbinger of the Doomed Lemur

Post by Volante »

DavidRosen wrote: Wed Jun 22, 2022 12:14 pm
(snipping for space)
Sean Connery as Bond has the same line. The bad guy is posing as a waiter, and Bond smokes him out when he doesn't know that a Bordeaux is a claret. Dunno which movie, and I'm too lazy to find it.
It's from Diamonds are Forever, and the exact line is "Mouton Rothschild is a claret"
The best thing that Neil Armstrong ever did, was to let us all imagine we were him.
Latest movies (1-10): Everything Everywhere All at Once (10), Ruby Gillman: Teenage Kraken (6), Black Sunday /1960/ (6), Marcel the Shell with Shoes On (7)
Woof
Swimming in the Jeopardy! Pool

Post by Woof »

TimMierz wrote: Wed Jun 22, 2022 9:08 am A couple cases of Rob knowing too much leading to a wrong response:

- "Iguazú Falls" for the waterfall question, being less well-known than Angel Falls but it is the largest waterfall system
- "Prions" as a medical discovery that led to a Nobel Prize (1997, not 2007), and more obscure than stem cells

I was afraid there'd be another with the digitalis/digoxin response, but he was in the clear there.
I'd say rather that he showed that a little bit of knowledge is a dangerous thing. Iguazu Falls isn't in Venezuela and Angel Falls is well known as the tallest falls. And guessing prion for that clue is a howler for a medical educator: the adjective undifferentiated points clearly to stem cells and makes no sense in the context of a prion, which is a misfolded protein.
davey
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by davey »

opusthepenguin wrote: Wed Jun 22, 2022 11:49 am
Lefty wrote: Tue Jun 21, 2022 5:26 pm "Kai-shek" is clearly not enough answer; Jenny should feel lucky if she gets a prompt there.
That and accepting "Ravel" in the "M.R." category. I guess I'll keep watching Mayim, but I don't have to be happy about it.
It happened with the "Fathers and Sons" clue in this game, and the judges reversed the ruling:

Good recall! I wonder if it makes a difference that "I.T." was in quotation marks.
Sure it makes a difference. So was yesterday's "M.R."
opusthepenguin

Post by opusthepenguin »

davey wrote: Wed Jun 22, 2022 3:40 pm
opusthepenguin wrote: Wed Jun 22, 2022 11:49 am

Good recall! I wonder if it makes a difference that "I.T." was in quotation marks.
Sure it makes a difference. So was yesterday's "M.R."
And Mayim specified two word responses which makes the case even stronger. I'm asking about a hypothetical situation where the quotation marks aren't there and the two-word specification isn't made. Would last name only be acceptable in that case?
BigDaddyMatty
Hoping not to get pruney this time

Post by BigDaddyMatty »

Coryat: $44,200
49 R/1 W
DD: 3/3
FJ: :mrgreen:
LT: first cousin, Tony Romo, Christopher Meloni, stem cells (DD), concerto

The group of islands-->archipelago connection fell into place for me about halfway through the music, and then I was able to confirm my response with the "arch-" root. Glad to not miss two Greek etymology FJ!s in a row.

Strange DJ! round for me. I got only one of the four non-DD clues at the $1200 level but was perfect on the rest of the board.
MarkBarrett wrote: Tue Jun 21, 2022 1:45 pm What Rob wrote for the FJ! round if anyone wants to decipher it:
Spoiler
Andy at The Jeopardy Fan has "Nemmihant".
It's "Harriett Tubma," obviously. :lol:
yclept wrote: Wed Jun 22, 2022 3:16 am I generally love Megan’s wagering. I think she perhaps didn’t think this one through enough. The only way she wins (if the other contestants make reasonable wagers) is on a sole get. This is the point where you bet the farm.
Her other wagers have not been sound. She's just been lucky enough to get away with it so far. In her first game, she underwagered, leaving herself open to being passed by an all-in solve from third. (Third place both missed and himself underwagered.) In her fourth game, she overwagered, leaving herself open to being passed by an all-in solve from third if she missed. (Megan got that FJ! right, mooting the issue.)
nserven wrote: Wed Jun 22, 2022 11:59 am I'd be annoyed in that moment if I had been one of Megan or Jenny and I was ready to pounce on the rebound because I knew both of the composer's names. That's a $4,000 swing.
A $6,000 swing, even. One of them would have picked up $2,000, and Rob would have gone from plus-$2,000 to minus-$2,000.
Sprinkles are for winners.
hansenkd
Valued Contributor

Post by hansenkd »

I don't dislike Megan. I really don't. She's an interesting contestant who has won exciting games. But the fact that she is in the ToC after getting lucky underwagering a couple of times, and the Harriet Tubma thing...dead horse, of course, but if you are Jackie, do you cry foul about being kept out by a horrific judge's call in Megan's fourth win? At any rate, because of that questionable judging in Megan's favor, she would have no room for complaint on Maurice Ravel.

The judges may be having second thoughts, as there is scuttlebutt around Sadie getting into the SCT.
Golf

Post by Golf »

hansenkd wrote: Wed Jun 22, 2022 7:44 pm I don't dislike Megan. I really don't. She's an interesting contestant who has won exciting games. But the fact that she is in the ToC after getting lucky underwagering a couple of times, and the Harriet Tubma thing...dead horse, of course
The styrofoam coffin the horse was buried in has completely decomposed.
Ironhorse
Second Banana

Post by Ironhorse »

hansenkd wrote: Wed Jun 22, 2022 7:44 pm
The judges may be having second thoughts, as there is scuttlebutt around Sadie getting into the SCT.
Where are you hearing this?
hansenkd
Valued Contributor

Post by hansenkd »

Ironhorse wrote: Wed Jun 22, 2022 8:11 pm
hansenkd wrote: Wed Jun 22, 2022 7:44 pm
Where are you hearing this?
Megan herself had a cryptic tweet about it when she said she couldn't comment on the judges' Sadie/Tubman decision.
Perv Griffin
Contributor

Post by Perv Griffin »

I had really hoped that she'd come into her own by now (or that I would become inured by now), but I think I'm actually growing a tiny bit more annoyed by Mayim with almost every episode. The laughter at finding DDs, the long pauses before a correct ruling (and the occasional lightning fast incorrect ruling), the intrusive lead change announcements, the stilted and perfunctory contestant interviews, her general lack of charisma, etc., are all wearing me down.

Do the producers believe she's doing a good job? Is there any reason to believe that there might be a change in the offing?

Or do I just have to deal with it if I want to continue watching the show?
AFRET CMS
JBOARDIE OF THE MONTH!

Post by AFRET CMS »

harrumph wrote: Tue Jun 21, 2022 11:20 pm For FJ I went with Peloponnesia.
Thank you for that. Now I feel a little less silly.
I'm not the defending Jeopardy! champion. But I have played one on TV.
Linear Gnome
One Miner Gal

Post by Linear Gnome »

davey wrote: Wed Jun 22, 2022 9:55 am
doihavetoreally wrote: Wed Jun 22, 2022 8:31 am
I'm not surprised they accepted it. Not sure why anyone here is... This has happened many times before.

There were also instances where they'd BMS.
It's one of the clearest rules they have! Even if we want to ignore the need of an "M.", MB stated "Each response is two words..."
The only example shared here was a ruling against, so I hope you can share one of the "many times."
I blame it on those behind the scenes. Getting the rulings right is their job. Often these days I think the flow of the game is more important to them. (Maybe they ascertained that Rob knew Ravel's first name after stopping tape and just moved on... :roll:)
If they're worried about flow, why not get MB to stop the pauses after DDs? I've come to think she's doing it for dramatic effect, like the pauses before reveal on The Chaser. But this game has a whole other rhythm...
It's possible that "this" refers to Kai-Shek and not to the quotation marks in the category.

In any case, I think this whole discussion illustrates why Ken should be host. My opinion is that, for both of the clues under consideration, it would be optimal for the host to wait for clarification from the player, and I think that's what Ken would have done. Lacking a host who can handle these sorts of things in real time, the judges then have to make lemonade.

I personally hate the needless pauses and am generally neutral to Mayim on most other things, but it irks me to have a host who's so clunky on game play when such a superior option is available.
floridagator

Post by floridagator »

The thing about Ken versus Bialik is that Mayim Bialik is a legitimate celebrity. She is an actor who has appeared in hit series and she can bring a new audience to Jeopardy. Ken is only a celebrity to people who are already Jeopardy Watchers.
I'd rather cuddle then have sex. If you're into grammar, you'll understand.
triviawayne
Hoping I don’t drown in this contestant pool

Post by triviawayne »

floridagator wrote: Fri Jun 24, 2022 12:23 am The thing about Ken versus Bialik is that Mayim Bialik is a legitimate celebrity. She is an actor who has appeared in hit series and she can bring a new audience to Jeopardy. Ken is only a celebrity to people who are already Jeopardy Watchers.
Ken is known far beyond those who are already Jeopardy watchers; or even already watchers of all the other shows he's been on; and he has far more credibility behind that podium than Mayim.

There is no denying, Mayim started out far better than she has been doing lately; and if the very few that would tune in only because she is on either won't stay around because they aren't seeing what they want from her, or won't matter anyway if they are not a ratings-metered viewer.
Total game show career losings = $171,522
hansenkd
Valued Contributor

Post by hansenkd »

But they keep her in prime time specials regardless, per the original plan before Richardsgate. Or not?
triviawayne
Hoping I don’t drown in this contestant pool

Post by triviawayne »

hansenkd wrote: Fri Jun 24, 2022 10:51 am But they keep her in prime time specials regardless, per the original plan before Richardsgate. Or not?
We thought we knew that, but now...not so much. The upcoming prime time Celebrity Jeopardy has host listed as "TBD".
Total game show career losings = $171,522