Tuesday, June 21, 2022 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

MarkBarrett
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Re: Tuesday, June 21, 2022 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by MarkBarrett »

floridagator wrote: Tue Jun 21, 2022 9:33 pm This is plain silly. Megan now has the title of Super Champ but she is winning against very weak opposition. Something has gone wrong with Jeopardy since the pandemic and I'm not sure exactly what.
A 16600 Coryat is not weak and certainly does not deserve "very". It's solving the FJ! clues where something has changed.
finishemzoe
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by finishemzoe »

floridagator wrote: Tue Jun 21, 2022 9:33 pm This is plain silly. Megan now has the title of Super Champ but she is winning against very weak opposition. Something has gone wrong with Jeopardy since the pandemic and I'm not sure exactly what.
yeah bro, that 6-time "champion" she defeated in her first game was as weak as it gets.
sup, i'm bliss.

trans rights.

JEOPARDY! LEADERBOARD HERE: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/ ... mYjSS0weM/

SUBSTACK: https://livinginjeopardy.substack.com/
opusthepenguin
The Best Darn Penguin on the Whole JBoard

Post by opusthepenguin »

Leander wrote: Tue Jun 21, 2022 2:37 pm Two Greek language related FJs in a row is kind of weird.
Right? I'm not saying that's why I got this one wrong, but it did startle me enough to cost me a second or two of think time.
opusthepenguin

Post by opusthepenguin »

MarkBarrett wrote: Tue Jun 21, 2022 1:45 pm The FJ! clue was a fail by me and I'm in the comfort of home. What I needed to do was not think so much and solve it from the end of the clue. Nice by Megan to make her sole solve count.
You and me both, my friend. I think I was suffering from some hubris (etymology: GR hubris) over yesterday's solve and figured my Greek prowess would stand me in good stead once again. But nothing came to me and then it kept coming. I ended up inventing the word "hyperthalassa" (from Greek for "over" or "above" + Greek for "sea") in desperation. Never once did I think, hey, is there maybe a reason they added the bit about "known for its many island groups? Is there a word I associate with that?"
Woof
Swimming in the Jeopardy! Pool

Post by Woof »

Oy! That first round was tough to watch. Fortunately, the game picked up in DJ (it was good for me, too, with 25/30) but then FJ happened. Even if one can’t back out the answer from pelagic and last nights FJ, then “many islands” might offer an in.
harrumph
Voyeur

Post by harrumph »

For FJ I went with Peloponnesia.
Ironhorse
Second Banana

Post by Ironhorse »

I wonder what Rob was trying to write.
twelvefootboy

Post by twelvefootboy »

Some basic facts:
1) hot water can freeze faster than cold water (Mpemba effect).
2) There are no McDonald's in Iceland.
3) Megan will beat you by $2. Don't even bother showing up.

I wanted take sides tonight because we had a Doctor (I think), a Lawyer, and a pre-school teacher. Gotta root for the teacher! It was a fun game - everybody in the red, then Rob coming to life with some great answers after climbing out of a $2K hole.

I'm OK with Mayim declaring lead changes, maybe she can do it a little more smoothly to maintain continuity. I think it is ludicrous that the show doesn't have an on-screen scoreboard for viewers. It's too much work to catch the split-second jump cut of the whole set and keep mental tallies as they go.

I got archipelago in about 5 seconds and felt good about the answer. I think I just got lucky to have it pop up. Sorry for Rob but FJ is a stern mistress. And, rule #3 above 8-) .

Those consecutive letter categories are brutal to me. I can't mentally check my guesses and can barely confirm the correct answers upon hearing them. The "first cousin" clue was a hoot. TIL what 'avuncular' means
Spoiler
ADJECTIVE
avuncular (adjective)
relating to an uncle.
kind and friendly toward a younger or less experienced person:
"an avuncular manner"
synonyms:
paternal · fatherlike · protective · supportive · encouraging · vigilant · kindly · kind · warm · affectionate · tender · caring · compassionate · benevolent · sympathetic · understanding · indulgent · patriarchal
antonyms:
hostile
anthropology
relating to the relationship between men and their siblings' children.
. Somehow I knew the general vibe of the word. Now I know I need to be more avuncular. I'm still working on being more ept, and having more feck.

I think the writers messed up if they wanted Ravel's first name, or they wish the category had been explained differently.
Disclaimer - repeated exposure to author's musings may cause befuddlement.
opusthepenguin

Post by opusthepenguin »

twelvefootboy wrote: Wed Jun 22, 2022 12:06 am 3) Megan will beat you by $2. Don't even bother showing up.

twelvefootboy wrote: Wed Jun 22, 2022 12:06 am I got archipelago in about 5 seconds and felt good about the answer. I think I just got lucky to have it pop up. Sorry for Rob but FJ is a stern mistress. And, rule #3 above 8-) .
It probably pops up pretty automatically if you can focus on "island groups". All it takes for that is realizing you can't do much with Greek for "chief" & "sea", or original name for the Aegean. Sigh. So gettable in retrospect.

And poor Rob. He came back from the red so calmly I figured he had it made. Sure he should've wagered more on that DD, but he'll probably get away with it.... Nope.
twelvefootboy wrote: Wed Jun 22, 2022 12:06 am Now I know I need to be more avuncular. I'm still working on being more ept, and having more feck.
I for one will be gruntled when you get there.
opusthepenguin

Post by opusthepenguin »

I almost forgot! Credit to the great Fawlty Towers over 40 years ago for giving me the information I needed to pick up that Bordeaux TS.

yclept

Post by yclept »

I generally love Megan’s wagering. I think she perhaps didn’t think this one through enough. The only way she wins (if the other contestants make reasonable wagers) is on a sole get. This is the point where you bet the farm.

Of course, perhaps she is superstitious and thinks she will lose the moment she doesn’t put forward a bet that allows her to win by $2 if the leader misses. :)

Close, competitive game overall. Rob had too many early misses but did well to climb out of the hole and put up a solid leading score. Jenny also played the game well.

Some can call it luck or whatever, but you are doing something right if you earn six Jeopardy wins. I have not found the competition to be all that week. She beat a fellow TOC player to start her own streak. Game 2 was weaker. Game 3? All contestants went over $10,000 in the Coryat. Steve didn’t miss one question…until FJ, of course! Game 4? I won’t claim that was a strong game, but it was competitive. Game 5 featured a contestant who tried to ring in 50 times and was a DD get away from potentially locking her out. It just didn’t work out. Tonight’s game again featured a pair of challengers who hit a $10,000+ in the Coryat.

Weird that Mayim implied that more openings could be available if more 5-time champs come along.
cf1140
Not Jeopardy! Material

Post by cf1140 »

Linear Gnome wrote: Tue Jun 21, 2022 6:00 pm
Lefty wrote: Tue Jun 21, 2022 5:26 pm "Kai-shek" is clearly not enough answer; Jenny should feel lucky if she gets a prompt there.
That and accepting "Ravel" in the "M.R." category. I guess I'll keep watching Mayim, but I don't have to be happy about it.
It happened with the "Fathers and Sons" clue in this game, and the judges reversed the ruling:

https://www.j-archive.com/showgame.php?game_id=5059
alietr
Site Admin

Post by alietr »

I got archipelago, but the wording of the clue kept drawing me back to thinking they were looking for a term about the body of water itself, not things in the body of water. But I had nothing better, so I stuck with archipelago.
doihavetoreally

Post by doihavetoreally »

Lefty wrote: Tue Jun 21, 2022 5:26 pm "Kai-shek" is clearly not enough answer; Jenny should feel lucky if she gets a prompt there.
That and accepting "Ravel" in the "M.R." category. I guess I'll keep watching Mayim, but I don't have to be happy about it.
I'm not surprised they accepted it. Not sure why anyone here is... This has happened many times before.

There were also instances where they'd BMS.

Yes, there seems to be an edit here.

I've just accepted Mayim's overly cheerfulness, surprise at DDs, pauses after responses at this point.
Good enough to lose on Jeopardy!
TimMierz
Contributor

Post by TimMierz »

A couple cases of Rob knowing too much leading to a wrong response:

- "Iguazú Falls" for the waterfall question, being less well-known than Angel Falls but it is the largest waterfall system
- "Prions" as a medical discovery that led to a Nobel Prize (1997, not 2007), and more obscure than stem cells

I was afraid there'd be another with the digitalis/digoxin response, but he was in the clear there.

My train of thought in Final: Chain of islands -> archipelago -> "arch" as "chief", confirmed, got it!
Ancient Mariner

Post by Ancient Mariner »

Not only were there two consecutive FJs based on Greek roots, but the were based on the SAME Greek root, which is weirder still. Mon-ARCH-y (one chief/ruler) on Monday, followed by ARCH-i-pelago (chief sea) on Tuesday. Fortunately Wednesday heads in a whole other direction.
davey

Post by davey »

doihavetoreally wrote: Wed Jun 22, 2022 8:31 am
I'm not surprised they accepted it. Not sure why anyone here is... This has happened many times before.

There were also instances where they'd BMS.
It's one of the clearest rules they have! Even if we want to ignore the need of an "M.", MB stated "Each response is two words..."
The only example shared here was a ruling against, so I hope you can share one of the "many times."
I blame it on those behind the scenes. Getting the rulings right is their job. Often these days I think the flow of the game is more important to them. (Maybe they ascertained that Rob knew Ravel's first name after stopping tape and just moved on... :roll:)
If they're worried about flow, why not get MB to stop the pauses after DDs? I've come to think she's doing it for dramatic effect, like the pauses before reveal on The Chaser. But this game has a whole other rhythm...

Like others, I've always thought of archipelago as the islands themselves, not the sea they lie in. But I had nothing better and probably a vague awareness of the derivation so unlike the day before bafflement remained at bay...
DBear
Denier of Pop Culture

Post by DBear »

opusthepenguin wrote: Tue Jun 21, 2022 10:29 pm

You and me both, my friend. I think I was suffering from some hubris (etymology: GR hubris) over yesterday's solve and figured my Greek prowess would stand me in good stead once again. But nothing came to me and then it kept coming. I ended up inventing the word "hyperthalassa" (from Greek for "over" or "above" + Greek for "sea") in desperation. Never once did I think, hey, is there maybe a reason they added the bit about "known for its many island groups? Is there a word I associate with that?"
oh, good. Glad I wasn't the only one lost at sea trying to make something of "thalassa". :(
squarekara
J! Reactionary

Post by squarekara »

opusthepenguin wrote: Wed Jun 22, 2022 2:22 am I almost forgot! Credit to the great Fawlty Towers over 40 years ago for giving me the information I needed to pick up that Bordeaux TS.
Same. I muttered that line reading ("A Bordeaux is a Claret.") at the TV.
🍷
alietr
Site Admin

Post by alietr »

opusthepenguin wrote: Wed Jun 22, 2022 2:22 am I almost forgot! Credit to the great Fawlty Towers over 40 years ago for giving me the information I needed to pick up that Bordeaux TS.

Poor Manuel.