Wednesday, June 22, 2022 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

yclept
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Re: Wednesday, June 22, 2022 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by yclept »

It was the correct call but I am just happy that Megan didn’t lose because of the extra information on that clue. Dunno why that wasn’t instantly ruled wrong or why they waited so long.

The new champ wagering enough to beat Megan’s doubled score by $2 may not have been the most strategic move ever but I have to admit it make me chuckle.

Since Megan is into wagering strategy, I was intrigued by how she would play the final. She could have tried to bet everything but $2 (just to keep her calling card alive) in case of a TS and the two leaders playing for a tie. She instead went with a bet to get ahead by a $1. The only truly wrong wager in her spot is all-in.

“Less than a minute to go” and betting $1000 on a DD when a miss drops you into a tie was a bit less than ideal.

Anyway, I had fun with Megan’s run - it certainly didn’t fit with other runs in the history of the show, that is for sure. She will likely be prepared when it comes to wagering in the TOC, but her random misses last night will need to be cleaned up.
Robert K S
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by Robert K S »

yclept wrote: Thu Jun 23, 2022 9:52 am The new champ wagering enough to beat Megan’s doubled score by $2
"You know--just in case"
opusthepenguin
The Best Darn Penguin on the Whole JBoard

Post by opusthepenguin »

yclept wrote: Thu Jun 23, 2022 9:52 am It was the correct call but I am just happy that Megan didn’t lose because of the extra information on that clue. Dunno why that wasn’t instantly ruled wrong or why they waited so long.
That's standard practice isn't it? Scoring corrections are made a) after a break when possible, or b) when a clue that requires wagering comes up. This minimizes flow interruption. In this case that meant a long wait since the mistake was made on DJ3 and the first DD of the round didn't happen until 20 clues later.
davey

Post by davey »

opusthepenguin wrote: Thu Jun 23, 2022 11:46 am
yclept wrote: Thu Jun 23, 2022 9:52 am It was the correct call but I am just happy that Megan didn’t lose because of the extra information on that clue. Dunno why that wasn’t instantly ruled wrong or why they waited so long.
That's standard practice isn't it? Scoring corrections are made a) after a break when possible, or b) when a clue that requires wagering comes up. This minimizes flow interruption. In this case that meant a long wait since the mistake was made on DJ3 and the first DD of the round didn't happen until 20 clues later.
What was that long pause about though? Very strange that judges weren't ready to make a decision on this without delay.
opusthepenguin
The Best Darn Penguin on the Whole JBoard

Post by opusthepenguin »

davey wrote: Thu Jun 23, 2022 11:51 am
opusthepenguin wrote: Thu Jun 23, 2022 11:46 am
What was that long pause about though? Very strange that judges weren't ready to make a decision on this without delay.
Oh, definitely. I certainly had plenty of time to arrive at the correct ruling on the couch. And when Mayim accepted it, I immediately said "That'll get reversed." Then I went back 10 seconds to refresh my memory on the text of the clue to make sure I hadn't missed something. This ruling could and should have been made in real time. But since they did it, unearthing DD2 was the right moment to rectify the error.

I think the judges and writers need to be a little more alert when its Mayim at the helm. And maybe they are but things still slip through. A lot of people have the impression that she's looking to them for real time rulings a lot. I can't say I've caught her specifically doing that, but it wouldn't surprise me. Maybe the writers could've helped here by anticipating and explicitly ruling out a "Tweedledum & Tweedledee" response. But maybe the card said "DNA Tweedledum" and Mayim just thought that meant "unless the contestant also says Tweedledee".
davey

Post by davey »

opusthepenguin wrote: Thu Jun 23, 2022 2:01 pm
I think the judges and writers need to be a little more alert when its Mayim at the helm. And maybe they are but things still slip through. A lot of people have the impression that she's looking to them for real time rulings a lot. I can't say I've caught her specifically doing that, but it wouldn't surprise me.
I wouldn't put it like that, because
a) She's never on camera, for good reason, when these pauses occur, and
b) That makes it sound like it would be the wrong thing for her to do...It's exactly what she should be doing for a response like this one....
BigDaddyMatty
Hoping not to get pruney this time

Post by BigDaddyMatty »

Coryat: $31,400
45 R/3 W
DD: 3/3
FJ: :mrgreen:
LT: lying, malaria (DD), Monday, rob Peter to pay Paul, (Tweedledee), Auguste Escoffier, Freddie Mercury (DD), slate (DD)

Being behind two players who are tied for the lead was the perfect wagering scenario for Megan. Jeff has now apparently taken up the mantle of wagering on FJ! as if J! were a one-on-one contest.

Got milk? I feel a sense of nerdy pride whenever the correct response is already in the form of a question and I get to respond without having to add "what is."
Category 13 wrote: Thu Jun 23, 2022 1:54 am IMHO, that clue was only real time solvable by someone who is familliar with the factoid remembered the category.
I missed the royalty/Queen TOM, but they were looking for a singer who shared a name with a planet, and two of the planets had already been used in other clues.
Sprinkles are for winners.