Tuesday, June 28, 2022 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

RetiredDoc
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Re: Tuesday, June 28, 2022 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by RetiredDoc »

Another Byron here - knew it was most likely wrong, but couldn’t come up with anything better. Poetry is not a favorite subject
harrumph
Voyeur

Post by harrumph »

Surprised at all the Byron responses. It's common trivia knowledge that he died young and in the early 19th century - he was, after all, mad, bad, and dangerous to know.. What famous Poet Laureate would fit the time frame? Maybe the guy who wrote Charge Of The Light Brigade?
Woof
Swimming in the Jeopardy! Pool

Post by Woof »

Um…interesting…wagers in FJ. I knew enough to know it wasn’t Byron and guessed Tennyson since I knew he was a Lord. Sometimes it’s better to be lucky than good :mrgreen:
Category 13
Wagering Viking

Post by Category 13 »

Clue J16 directly referenced a Star Trek episode while the title of another Star Trek episode could have been useful to solve clue J20 in the same category.

If only Marina had been as gutless as the two gentlemen on her final wager.
Volante
Harbinger of the Doomed Lemur

Post by Volante »

-Two- of the Shakespeare clues called out Star Trek! The one the game called out, Dagger of the Mind, but also a few episodes later, The Conscious of the King

https://www.wowhead.com/item=64657/canopic-jar
That is all. :lol:
harrumph wrote: Tue Jun 28, 2022 11:30 pm Surprised at all the Byron responses. It's common trivia knowledge that he died young and in the early 19th century - he was, after all, mad, bad, and dangerous to know.. What famous Poet Laureate would fit the time frame? Maybe the guy who wrote Charge Of The Light Brigade?
Well, I knew -that- much...unfortunately brain couldn't come up with anyone in the later half of the decade...
Put too much stock in the 'baron' TOM rather than the poet. (Alfred, Lord Tennyson, was a Baron but...oops)
The best thing that Neil Armstrong ever did, was to let us all imagine we were him.
Latest movies (1-10): Everything Everywhere All at Once (10), Ruby Gillman: Teenage Kraken (6), Black Sunday /1960/ (6), Marcel the Shell with Shoes On (7)
davey

Post by davey »

Knew it wasn't Byron, wrote down Wordsworth (died 1850), then at about :20 remembered "Alfred, Lord..." and had just enough time to scrawl "Tennyson"...
yclept

Post by yclept »

We could have had a most fun ending if Marina also bet $0. Standards and Practices may have needed to have a chat to see if something was up! :)

I can understand $0 for Joseph (though I would at least try to get ahead of Marina’s pre-FJ score), not so much for Pete. But it worked for him on this day I guess if you know nothing about the category whatsoever, that can justify a stand pat and pray.

As for Marina’s wager, obviously she just decided to put down half without thinking of much else.
alietr
Site Admin

Post by alietr »

In the last 3 shows, 3 of the 6 challengers have been from the DC area -- Bethesda, Rockville, and DC. And one of the challengers this coming Friday is as well (Potomac, MD). Not to mention 2 of the champs now.
SBurrus

Post by SBurrus »

Instaget on FJ for me -- I sang "Crossing the Bar" at my dad's funeral.
nserven
At the Clam Shack

Post by nserven »

I've worn Dr. Martens for years and never realized the 's' was part of the name. And the clue didn't really give you a way to fudge it, like "Dr. Martens' shoes."
seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns

Post by seaborgium »

Category 13 wrote: Wed Jun 29, 2022 12:46 am If only Marina had been as gutless as the two gentlemen on her final wager.
As someone who has wagered $0 and over $20,000 in FJ, I can tell you the $0 took more guts.
astrohip
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by astrohip »

Category 13 wrote: Wed Jun 29, 2022 12:46 amIf only Marina had been as gutless as the two gentlemen on her final wager.
I'm not sure I would call that gutless. It's a category that I personally know nothing about, and would be making a WAG, plucking a name from memory, just to write something down. So perhaps it's a strategic wager, not gutless. And the fact two contestants did it shows how it can make sense in certain situations.
Golf

Post by Golf »

Contestants don't make a 0 wager enough, rather some useless small round number. And I agree that a 0 wager can be difficult to make.

In this situation however, I think a 0 wager would only be optimal for the leader. Had I been Pete I would have wagered 200, had I been Joe I would have wagered 401. Those wagers do more on a get while still maintaining the usefulness of a 0 wager.
Last edited by Golf on Wed Jun 29, 2022 12:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Ironhorse
Second Banana

Post by Ironhorse »

Golf wrote: Wed Jun 29, 2022 11:38 am Contestants don't make a 0 wager enough, rather some useless small round number. And I agree that a 0 wager can be difficult to make.

In this situation however, I think a 0 wager would only be optimal for the leader. Had I been Dave I would have wagered 200, had I been Joe I would have wagered 401. Those wagers do more on a get while still maintaining the usefulness of a 0 wager.
I assume you mean Pete instead of Dave?
Golf

Post by Golf »

Yep. Post edited. Thanks.
opusthepenguin
The Best Darn Penguin on the Whole JBoard

Post by opusthepenguin »

Golf wrote: Wed Jun 29, 2022 11:38 am Contestants don't make a 0 wager enough, rather some useless small round number. And I agree that a 0 wager can be difficult to make.

In this situation however, I think a 0 wager would only be optimal for the leader. Had I been Pete I would have wagered 200, had I been Joe I would have wagered 401. Those wagers do more on a get while still maintaining the usefulness of a 0 wager.
I wonder if a $2 wager would have been better for Marina.
John Boy

Post by John Boy »

cinemaniax7 wrote: Tue Jun 28, 2022 10:28 pm This game would seem to be prime fodder for a Fourth Podium poll.

Um, yeah.

I picked up Knesset, microsurgery, Conscience (of the King) (With thanks to the original Star Trek, which had an episode of that name), (fear of) thunder, (fear of )work, Rubaiyat, and Wallis Warfield Simpson to scoop up $7800 in Lach Trash.

That was in 3rd place going into FJ but my sole get gave me a win from the fourth podium.

I also thought first of Lord Byron but then thought he died much earlier (I was right; it was almost 70 years earlier). The only "who else" I could come up with was Lord Tennyson, so I will take it.
seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns

Post by seaborgium »

I got $6,600 in Lach Trash (including a "Dr. Scholl" neg that would have made me look like a goof after "Scholl's" got negged), and so I get to call it a fourth-podium win on my FJ get. Just a few hundred more (like $500), and I think I make a strategic wager that loses to Pete's strategy (and possibly to Joe, since I can't be sure he wouldn't bet $0 with someone behind him); as it was, my LT score puts me in a sweet spot where I only concern myself with holding back $401 just in case and bet everything else.
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

Volante wrote: Wed Jun 29, 2022 12:47 am -Two- of the Shakespeare clues called out Star Trek! The one the game called out, Dagger of the Mind, but also a few episodes later, The Conscious of the King
Conscience, but yeah. Also, one of the contestants was named Marina.
Golf

Post by Golf »

opusthepenguin wrote: Wed Jun 29, 2022 1:28 pm I wonder if a $2 wager would have been better for Marina.
Multi level thinking on FJ wagers is almost always a useless exercise since so many wagering sub-optimally. But this is kind of an interesting situation.

If Marina knows 100% that Pete will wager optimally, he's either going to cover Joe by $1, or go with a tiny wager if any. The cover wager is easy to cover, the tiny wager could be more difficult. But if I were Pete and going small, I'd wager $200 in a heartbeat which ties a 0 wager from the leader while forcing Joe to answer correctly in order to move in front. I would not wager $201. But Joe could wager $401 with no regrets. he could also wager all but $401. His viable range is so wide it's tough to predict.

Personally, I think $0 would be slightly better than $2 because I can see Pete wagering $200 but not $201, but I don't think either are terrible.

Multi level thinking at the poker table is fun against good strategic opponents, thankfully that skill very rarely applies to Jeopardy contestants.