Wednesday, June 29, 2022 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

Golf
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Re: Wednesday, June 29, 2022 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by Golf »

John Boy wrote: Wed Jun 29, 2022 8:05 pm Too bad Pete forgot to study FJ Wagering 101. He could be back tomorrow as a 2X returning champ.
doihavetoreally wrote: Wed Jun 29, 2022 9:26 pm He wouldn't be in this game if not for his "wagering strategy".
He made a strategically viable wager in game 1. He made close to the worst wager possible in game 2. And it cost him.
Category 13
Wagering Viking

Post by Category 13 »

doihavetoreally wrote:
John Boy wrote: Too bad Pete forgot to study FJ Wagering 101. He could be back tomorrow as a 2X returning champ.
He wouldn't be in this game if not for his "wagering strategy".
LoL.
Mayim, in her opening remarks said Pete "made a strategic wager" in yesterday's game. Had I been in Lauryl's position at FJ, I'd have guessed Pete would be likely to bet less than 2601 to stay above Halley on a TS. So, I would think it better to just cover a zero wager from Halley, instead of Pete doubling up, and therefore beat both her and Pete on a TS.

I managed to come up with Sesame Street after about 20 seconds of scratching my head. I think it was the Big Bird clue from a while back that suddenly defragged my memory. Still wasn't totally sure though, and was surprised at the reveal.
Woof
Swimming in the Jeopardy! Pool

Post by Woof »

MarkBarrett wrote: Wed Jun 29, 2022 1:48 pm
The next time the category comes up perhaps I'll remember to go a little higher on my dial.
All the way up to 9 (KQED)? It is higher then 2,4,5 and 7, I grant you.
Woof

Post by Woof »

This was the rare FJ clues that was truly YEKIOYD, unless a man carvong the letter D in wet cement makes you think of Sesame Street.
Mathew5000

Post by Mathew5000 »

According to Wikipedia, Sesame Street premiered on November 10, 1969. It says that in July 1969, five sample episodes "were presented to preschoolers in 60 homes throughout Philadelphia and in day care centers in New York City".

IMDb, however, gives 21 July 1969 as the release date: https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0063951/releaseinfo

I'm not sure what the correct information is (maybe Wikipedia is wrong), but if it's true that Sesame Street was never broadcast on television before November 1969, then it's a bit unfair for Jeopardy! to refer to "its July 21, 1969 pilot episode".

I thought it was weird that this is the first I ever heard of Sesame Street debuting during the Apollo 11 mission.
Rackme32
Three-time Failer Of The Online Jeopardy! Test

Post by Rackme32 »

I was born in 1955, therefore was almost 14 when Sesame Street came out. I have also never had kids, so I have never had a reason to watch Sesame Street. True to that reasoning, I have never watched it. Yes, I've seen short clips and heard some of the music involved... But that's it.

I don't feel deprived, either. :)
Lefty

Post by Lefty »

MarkBarrett wrote: Wed Jun 29, 2022 4:13 pm
Pilot and episode 1 can be two different shows. This is the pilot scene:
Spoiler
What might have been, if only. The time for Buddy and Jim to become big stars seems to have crossed the bar before this pilot appeared. Meanwhile, Gordon gives us a proto-rap but lacks the dance moves to complete the æsthetic, or the 80s might have begun a decade early.
I'm smart and I want respect.
nserven
At the Clam Shack

Post by nserven »

Lefty wrote: Wed Jun 29, 2022 4:36 pm Can you tell me how to get to Sesame Street?
As the other SS-themed avatar on this board, I oughta fess up that I didn't get this one. I said Lost in Space.

I suppose the "cement" part was supposed to lead us to "Street?"

Also, I am rather freaked out by small-headed Big Bird in that video.
doihavetoreally

Post by doihavetoreally »

MarkBarrett wrote: Wed Jun 29, 2022 9:28 pm
doihavetoreally wrote: Wed Jun 29, 2022 9:25 pm
LucarioSnooperVixey wrote: Wed Jun 29, 2022 4:37 pm
MarkBarrett wrote: Wed Jun 29, 2022 4:32 pm
LucarioSnooperVixey wrote: Wed Jun 29, 2022 4:29 pm 59 R (Was not going to get Abishola.)
DD: 3/3
FJ: :mrgreen:
Re: Tuesday, February 9, 2021 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)
Post by LucarioSnooperVixey » Sat Feb 13, 2021 9:28 pm

58 R (Missed the Bottom Two in TV Shows by Workplace.)

Third time's the charm?
Perhaps third time will be the charm for the contestants too.

None of my pre-calls in that category were there. Osceola, Savonarola, Carambola, Hyperbola, Romola.
I'd had to Google Romola. Expecting that in J! is a tough ask. Maybe some tournament.
DJ4: https://www.j-archive.com/showgame.php?game_id=7188

Yes MB, I checked the archive before posting. I should have added that.
All the times they asked for Romola, there were other paths to the response.
Good enough to lose on Jeopardy!
opusthepenguin
The Best Darn Penguin on the Whole JBoard

Post by opusthepenguin »

LucarioSnooperVixey wrote: Wed Jun 29, 2022 4:37 pm None of my pre-calls in that category were there. Osceola, Savonarola, Carambola, Hyperbola, Romola.
I pre-called Victrola and whiffed on the easy viola clue by guessing pianola.
Ironhorse
Second Banana

Post by Ironhorse »

opusthepenguin wrote: Thu Jun 30, 2022 10:04 am
LucarioSnooperVixey wrote: Wed Jun 29, 2022 4:37 pm None of my pre-calls in that category were there. Osceola, Savonarola, Carambola, Hyperbola, Romola.
I missed viola too. "ola" just sounds like the suffix for a weird instrument.
BrigadierSolo13
Double Double Machine

Post by BrigadierSolo13 »

Someone writing a concerto for a player piano would be interesting... I guess I shouldn't put it past someone named Carl Ditters von Dittersdorf
opusthepenguin

Post by opusthepenguin »

BrigadierSolo13 wrote: Thu Jun 30, 2022 12:42 pm
Someone writing a concerto for a player piano would be interesting... I guess I shouldn't put it past someone named Carl Ditters von Dittersdorf
Yeah, I figured it was a novelty piece. The clue calls this concerto "popular", and it might have been at the time. But it is absolutely not part of the regular classical repertoire. The only viola and orchestra piece that can claim that distinction is Harold in Italy by Hector Berlioz. I doubt any clues would require even knowledge of that, so they definitely weren't expecting actual recognition of the Dittersdorf piece. Just a straight -ola --> viola, and I thought of the weird reply first.
Volante
Harbinger of the Doomed Lemur

Post by Volante »

opusthepenguin wrote: Thu Jun 30, 2022 1:15 pm
BrigadierSolo13 wrote: Thu Jun 30, 2022 12:42 pm
Yeah, I figured it was a novelty piece. The clue calls this concerto "popular", and it might have been at the time. But it is absolutely not part of the regular classical repertoire. The only viola and orchestra piece that can claim that distinction is Harold in Italy by Hector Berlioz. I doubt any clues would require even knowledge of that, so they definitely weren't expecting actual recognition of the Dittersdorf piece. Just a straight -ola --> viola, and I thought of the weird reply first.
Is Dittersdorf considered regular repertoire though? KUSC gives like, 8 hits this entire year, none of those are a viola concerto (was a harp one)
https://www.google.com/search?q=site%3A ... sdorf+2022

...can't search off KUSC itself over a range of dates, though, only day by day, so no guarantee every day was archived by Google

On the other hand, there's 30 hits for 'viola concerto' this year, the most popular appears to be Telemann's Viola Concerto in G 51:G9, but I'm eyeballing the list. https://www.google.com/search?q=site%3A ... to%22+2022

Unfortunately, have to go back to work now so further digging will have to wait (and more practically, I'll forget about it)
The best thing that Neil Armstrong ever did, was to let us all imagine we were him.
Latest movies (1-10): Everything Everywhere All at Once (10), Ruby Gillman: Teenage Kraken (6), Black Sunday /1960/ (6), Marcel the Shell with Shoes On (7)
Sherm

Post by Sherm »

Loved the category when it came up. Then got zinged. If asked I could tell you that Sesame Street came on the air in 69. It was just off my radar.

I came up with Dragnet, which I see really started in 1951, though the version I was thinking of came back in 1967.
seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns

Post by seaborgium »

I also said pianola for the Carl Ditters von Dittersdorf clue. The first time I heard of him was also in a "fun names in classical music" context; a friend shared a harpsichord piece by Dietrich Buxtehude on Facebook and I commented on how much fun his name was to say, whereupon he replied with CDvD.
opusthepenguin

Post by opusthepenguin »

Volante wrote: Thu Jun 30, 2022 1:46 pm Is Dittersdorf considered regular repertoire though? KUSC gives like, 8 hits this entire year, none of those are a viola concerto (was a harp one)
https://www.google.com/search?q=site%3A ... sdorf+2022

...can't search off KUSC itself over a range of dates, though, only day by day, so no guarantee every day was archived by Google

On the other hand, there's 30 hits for 'viola concerto' this year, the most popular appears to be Telemann's Viola Concerto in G 51:G9, but I'm eyeballing the list. https://www.google.com/search?q=site%3A ... to%22+2022

Unfortunately, have to go back to work now so further digging will have to wait (and more practically, I'll forget about it)
I wouldn't consider Dittersdorf regular repertoire. He might make a Top 200 Composers list. But nothing by him would show up on a Top 500 Classical Compositions list.

As to Telemann, I think we're eventually going to find out that he was really a time-traveling AI-bot from 2143. He has just a prodigious output of compositions that are all more or less interchangeable. In that sense, his viola concerto both is and isn't part of the repertoire. It is because "Hey, let's pick a Telemann piece to round out the concert; that's always a safe bet" is part of the repertoire. But that specific piece? Not so much. Off the top of my head, I'd say maybe his recorder concerto is specifically part of the repertoire. Not sure there's anything else.
Woof

Post by Woof »

I was thrown by the date. July 21 was so close to the moon landing that I was searching for a connection. The D scrawled in cement I figured was a clue to the title or main character. Needless to say, my wheels just spun during Think Music.
flemmingfan
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by flemmingfan »

Golf wrote: Wed Jun 29, 2022 11:23 pm
John Boy wrote: Wed Jun 29, 2022 8:05 pm Too bad Pete forgot to study FJ Wagering 101. He could be back tomorrow as a 2X returning champ.
doihavetoreally wrote: Wed Jun 29, 2022 9:26 pm He wouldn't be in this game if not for his "wagering strategy".
He made a strategically viable wager in game 1. He made close to the worst wager possible in game 2. And it cost him.
If I remember correctly, he would have won had he bet zero as he did in the first game. Perhaps he should have worn the orange tie in lieu of just bringing it along.
davey

Post by davey »

Ironhorse wrote: Thu Jun 30, 2022 11:00 am
I missed viola too. "ola" just sounds like the suffix for a weird instrument.
John Adams, the composer whose Nixon in China comes up on J! from time to time, has a work called Grand Pianola Music-