Wednesday, June 29, 2022 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

Archivists
Fan-created archive of games and players

Wednesday, June 29, 2022 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by Archivists »

J! Round
Archivists

Re: Wednesday, June 29, 2022 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by Archivists »

DJ! Round
Archivists

Post by Archivists »

theFJguy
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by theFJguy »

FINAL JEOPARDY! CATEGORY
TELEVISION HISTORY

FINAL JEOPARDY! CLUE
In the opening scene of its July 21, 1969 pilot episode, a man carves the letter D into wet cement

Pete Chattrabhuti: 8600-8000=600
Lauryl Tucker: 11000-6201=4799
Halley Ryherd: 14000-8001=5999 (New Champ)

Correct response:
Spoiler
Sesame Street (Pete – Dick Tracy) (Lauryl – Ge) (Halley – l)

Daily Doubles
Lauryl: 1200+1200
Lauryl: 4800-3000
Pete: 5800+2000

Coryats
Pete: 8200
Lauryl: 13400
Halley: 14000

Combined: 35,600

Scores at the end of the Jeopardy! Round
Pete: 4200
Lauryl: 4000
Halley: 4000
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

Not the best work by the players in the ship category. Gee, where do you think the Mayflower left from? Thousands have appeared on J! who would never be stumped by Fulton's ship. Or Damien's island. Or...

The DJ! category of -OLA followed by HE WAS A SHOGUN got a laugh. I'll admit to being clueless on the combination. Help, please? Thanks.

For those that like to make YoutTube laughs out of contestants responding straight up to clues but turn into schoolyard humor.. What is muff?

The FJ! category had me precall Carson/Paar, Oprah cars, Berle, shot J.R. and wishful thinking, Survivor.

The FJ! clue had me unable to write anything. Thinking the date was a space hint led me to know with certainty to reject: Jeannie, Martian, LiS, Star Trek. For a cement opening I knew Leave to Beaver's S1 was 1957.

What I needed to do was open my narrow mind to a fourth network as it's not the first time that I blew a chance at a save by only sticking with the Big 3. If my brain went a little more artsy-fartsy then the year would have brought it home.

Of course, the category/clue could not give a wisp of network or genre as that would make it too easy. As is, I completely understand why it skunked the contestants.

The next time the category comes up perhaps I'll remember to go a little higher on my dial.

Halley tried to reach 22,001 to cover Lauryl's possible 22,000 while Pete and Lauryl's fell below Halley's expected miss number of 5999. The advantage of the lead worked this time.
BrigadierSolo13
Double Double Machine

Post by BrigadierSolo13 »

Should I make it on the show in the near future, there is going to be some real mental debate on whether I should underbet every FJ I see.

Without 20/20 hindsight, what is there to latch onto with this clue? The letter "D" is entirely misleading and left me grasping at already weak straws. I ended up putting Dallas just to have something. Is 1969 supposed to be the TOM? If so, I'll do my best to remember it and associate it with Sesame Street.

Other than that, no surprise on a triple stumper.
Last edited by BrigadierSolo13 on Wed Jun 29, 2022 4:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

To answer my own question about the category coupling, it just hit me as I was entering the DJ! category: Manilow's "Copacabana" opening - "Her name was Lola, she was a showgirl"
Robert K S
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by Robert K S »

D is for defacement of public property!
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

Will avoid temptation to work in sly hint: https://j-archive.com/showgame.php?game_id=7399
doihavetoreally

Post by doihavetoreally »

BrigadierSolo13 wrote: Wed Jun 29, 2022 1:52 pm
Without 20/20 hindsight, what is there to latch onto with this clue? The letter "D" is entirely misleading and left me grasping at already weak straws. I ended up putting Dallas just to have something. Is 1969 supposed to be the TOM? If so, I'll do my best to remember it and associate it with Sesame Street.
MarkBarrett wrote: Wed Jun 29, 2022 1:48 pm

The FJ! clue had me unable to write anything. Thinking the date was a space hint led me to know with certainty to reject:
Took me half the time to shake off space related year.
Took the rest of the time to convince myself that Dallas could be that old.

Then I realized that there was a recent FJ with 1969 date and same TV show. No time for writing though. Given the category, I'm happy I got there.

Another 0 wager, Pete would have won.
MarkBarrett wrote: Wed Jun 29, 2022 2:31 pm To answer my own question about the category coupling, it just hit me as I was entering the DJ! category: Manilow's "Copacabana" opening - "Her name was Lola, she was a showgirl"
Thanks - I didn't get it either.
Good enough to lose on Jeopardy!
Plactus

Post by Plactus »

BrigadierSolo13 wrote: Wed Jun 29, 2022 1:52 pm Without 20/20 hindsight, what is there to latch onto with this clue? The letter "D" is entirely misleading and left me grasping at already weak straws. I ended up putting Dallas just to have something. Is 1969 supposed to be the TOM? If so, I'll do my best to remember it and associate it with Sesame Street.
The best I can come up with is carving stuff in cement is childish – a children's show from the era – Sesame Street. But that only works for me in hindsight; all I could make of the clue was the moon landing date, which was a red herring, and WAGed Dallas to have something.
Oh, what has science wrought? I sought only to turn a man into a metal-encased juggernaut of destruction powered by the unknown properties of a mysterious living crystal. How could this have all gone wrong?
Leander

Post by Leander »

The other thing that distracted me on this FJ was that anything that premiered in July on a big 3 network would have been a summer replacement series, not a regular fall schedule premiere.

I had no guess.
mahatma

Post by mahatma »

Plactus wrote: Wed Jun 29, 2022 3:18 pm
BrigadierSolo13 wrote: Wed Jun 29, 2022 1:52 pm Without 20/20 hindsight, what is there to latch onto with this clue? The letter "D" is entirely misleading and left me grasping at already weak straws. I ended up putting Dallas just to have something. Is 1969 supposed to be the TOM? If so, I'll do my best to remember it and associate it with Sesame Street.
The best I can come up with is carving stuff in cement is childish – a children's show from the era – Sesame Street. But that only works for me in hindsight; all I could make of the clue was the moon landing date, which was a red herring, and WAGed Dallas to have something.
Now, if you told me that he spray painted the letter 'D' on a man's bald head or something...
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

Instaget for me, guess my mind works differently than others on here.

Here is the first episode, I only watched the first few minutes (through the boy taking a shower) but didn’t see anyone drawing in cement.

MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

Bamaman wrote: Wed Jun 29, 2022 4:03 pm Instaget for me, guess my mind works differently than others on here.

Here is the first episode, I only watched the first few minutes (through the boy taking a shower) but didn’t see anyone drawing in cement.
Spoiler
Pilot and episode 1 can be two different shows. This is the pilot scene:
Spoiler
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

Bamaman wrote: Wed Jun 29, 2022 4:03 pm Instaget for me, guess my mind works differently than others on here.

Watching some of the episode you linked, I agree your mind may indeed work differently as I see a girl with lipstick and eye makeup having played, perhaps dress-up, taking the shower.

We need a tiebreaker.
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

Looking closer I agree it is probably a girl. (I didn’t pay that much attention the first time and shut the video down in the middle of the shower scene). I’m guessing a segment like that probably doesn’t air today.
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

Bamaman wrote: Wed Jun 29, 2022 4:27 pm Looking closer I agree it is probably a girl. (I didn’t pay that much attention the first time and shut the video down in the middle of the shower scene). I’m guessing a segment like that probably doesn’t air today.
Look also for shower cap and pink toothbrush.
LucarioSnooperVixey
Carrying Letters and Lemons

Post by LucarioSnooperVixey »

59 R (Was not going to get Abishola.)
DD: 3/3
FJ: :mrgreen:
Douglas Squasoni
MDCSWildcats86

Post by MDCSWildcats86 »

BrigadierSolo13 wrote: Wed Jun 29, 2022 1:52 pm Should I make on the show in the near future, there is going to be some real mental debate on whether I should underbet every FJ I see.

Other than that, no surprise on a triple stumper.

Sesame Street premiered in 1969. Got it, but much too late for a correct response (initially thought The Brady Bunch, which also premeired in 1969).

Dallas, FWIW did not arrive until 1978.