Monday, July 4, 2022 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

davey
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Re: Monday, July 4, 2022 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by davey »

alietr wrote: Mon Jul 04, 2022 8:49 pm I think that's the first time I've seen a male Andie spelled with 'ie' instead of a 'y'.
Did you consider googling Andie's name before posting this?

https://www.fltimes.com/news/geneva-res ... 65497.html
davey

Post by davey »

Woppy T wrote: Mon Jul 04, 2022 8:48 pm It didn’t affect the outcome, but I was hoping for a reversal on “Tristam Shandy.” At least that’s what I heard.
I think he said it too quickly (perhaps purposefully?) to be sure if the second r was there or not.
Volante
Harbinger of the Doomed Lemur

Post by Volante »

I (inadvertently) showed off by going 'Hays Code' which I'm counting and no one will convince me otherwise

Maybe I'm reading too much into the FJ, but there's 'peak' in the clue and 'mont' in the state...
The best thing that Neil Armstrong ever did, was to let us all imagine we were him.
Latest movies (1-10): Everything Everywhere All at Once (10), Ruby Gillman: Teenage Kraken (6), Black Sunday /1960/ (6), Marcel the Shell with Shoes On (7)
davey

Post by davey »

Volante wrote: Mon Jul 04, 2022 10:43 pm I (inadvertently) showed off by going 'Hays Code' which I'm counting and no one will convince me otherwise
"Production Code" would also work. I was taken aback that no one got that one.
RetiredDoc

Post by RetiredDoc »

I narrowed it down to Vermont and New Hampshire, went with the latter, then realized a bit too late that it was Vermont.

I also went with Hays Code for that question

Guess they haven’t seen that famous picture of Harold Lloyd dangling from the clock!
Woof
Swimming in the Jeopardy! Pool

Post by Woof »

I said arthroscope for the endoscope question. Judges? I considered RI, DE and VT for FJ. I was lucky to guess the right one but I agree that the question wasn’t well pinned.
Linear Gnome
One Miner Gal

Post by Linear Gnome »

I thought Mayim should have ruled against Andie more quickly on "pallative/palliative". I'm not sure if I'd say that Mayim is getting worse, but, in baseball lingo, I'd say she's getting exposed. The more clues she handles, the more opportunities she has to pause when she should rule immediately (when the response is wrong, even if close, e.g. "pallative") and to rule immediately when she should pause (when the response is on the way to being correct, but not quite there). The judges can do the best they can to straighten things out, but I wish having the best possible host (with respect to handling of the game) were more of a priority.

I got a bit lucky with FJ!. The only thing I felt I had to go on is that Vermont is unusual in its lack of big cities, so I decided that that came into play somehow. TIL that attempting to represent population-dense urban areas fairly is a relatively new phenomenon so I was sort of on the right track.
Woof wrote: Mon Jul 04, 2022 11:17 pm I said arthroscope for the endoscope question. Judges? I considered RI, DE and VT for FJ. I was lucky to guess the right one but I agree that the question wasn’t well pinned.
I believe that, by definition, an arthroscope goes into a joint.
twelvefootboy

Post by twelvefootboy »

PSA: states with 1 Representative: VT, DE, ND, SD, WY, MT, AK

I did not realize TWO Eastern states were on this list. I picked New Hampshire because frankly, I can't even name the capital right now (Concord? (confirmed)).

I didn't think it was a bad clue until learning just now (making the PSA) that Delaware also has just 1 Rep. There's enough hype around Presidential campaigns and electors that the nothingburger states should be noticeable.
econgator wrote: Mon Jul 04, 2022 8:19 pm
The 1930 Census eliminated districts 2-5.
I didn't think the clue implied that it all happened at once, but a 80% swing (from 5 reps to 1) is still inexplicable. Good sleuthing by the Tampa fan ;) . All I could find was that Congress did not reapportion after the 1920 census because the rural states didn't want to give up their advantage. 100 years later, same shit, different century.

Another "Hays Code" answer.

I thought Andie's "pallative" answer was good enough imho, even without the improved enunciation. There is no candidate for confusion. I've heard it said pal-ya-tive and without the four syllables more often than the correct version.
Disclaimer - repeated exposure to author's musings may cause befuddlement.
Volante
Harbinger of the Doomed Lemur

Post by Volante »

twelvefootboy wrote: Mon Jul 04, 2022 11:58 pm I thought Andie's "pallative" answer was good enough imho, even without the improved enunciation. There is no candidate for confusion. I've heard it said pal-ya-tive and without the four syllables more often than the correct version.
MW has two pronunciations for palliative and both have 4 syls: https://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/palliative
I took the neg with the 3 syl version. It'll probably be officially correct in another 5-10 years, but not yet IMO.
The best thing that Neil Armstrong ever did, was to let us all imagine we were him.
Latest movies (1-10): Everything Everywhere All at Once (10), Ruby Gillman: Teenage Kraken (6), Black Sunday /1960/ (6), Marcel the Shell with Shoes On (7)
alan tiger
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by alan tiger »

old movies for $1200: "baby face" with a rather unchaste barbara stanwyck, is a classic of the early '30s films called "pre-" this set of restrictions

question given: what is pre-code?

like volante, i took full credit for "what is pre-hays code," (first imposed in 1934).
AFRET CMS
JBOARDIE OF THE MONTH!

Post by AFRET CMS »

Woof wrote: Mon Jul 04, 2022 11:17 pm I said arthroscope for the endoscope question. Judges?
I would think it would be ruled incorrect. An arthroscope is rigid and generally no more than about six inches long; an endoscope is flexible and can be more than three feet in length depending on how much of the upper digestive tract is to be visualized.

If you're in the market, here are a couple of ads.

https://www.olympus-europa.com/medical/ ... copes.html

https://www.vueimaging.com/product/tele ... endoscope/
I'm not the defending Jeopardy! champion. But I have played one on TV.
Rackme32
Three-time Failer Of The Online Jeopardy! Test

Post by Rackme32 »

I went with West Virginia, thinking that the coal industry may have peaked in the 30's.
MattKnowles
selwonKttaM

Post by MattKnowles »

I went with Delaware.

Poll request for aneroid.

It's interesting that Vermont has 1/6 of the representatives it used to have.
I had a dream that I was asleep and then I woke up and Jeopardy! was on.
Category 13
Wagering Viking

Re: Monday, July 4, 2022

Post by Category 13 »

ABC gets another rotten tomato for phucking interupting the program just as Mayim is preparing to read the FJ clue. Then they switch back just as Johnny is announcing who plays tomorrow. :twisted:
OMG, it just couldn't have waited five more minutes. That was some serious newsflash diareah right there.
yclept

Post by yclept »

Tried to narrow it down but didn’t get to Vermont.

Mayim is starting to bother me. She isn’t decisive with her right/wrong stuff and I don’t know why she laughs at Daily Double reveals. Plus, at the end of the game, she commented about how the new champ “never wins at anything - we’ll see tomorrow.” No, we won’t because he just won today. I know there existed plenty of far worse guest hosts last season but she isn’t all that much better…and even if I give her some benefit of the doubt, we should be seeing some improvement by now.

Ken is really the only choice here if he truly wants it.
Category 13
Wagering Viking

Post by Category 13 »

Poll request for having traveled through the Detroit-Windsor tunnel.
opusthepenguin wrote:Pretty sure Yungsheng getting FJ right had more to do with it. If he'd gotten it wrong he would've cost himself the game. There's no telling whether Andie's wager from second would've been smarter, only that it almost certainly wouldn't have been dumber. (All-in would be the only dumber bet, I think.)
Actually, Yungsheng's wager had some merit that at least he would have stayed ahead of Andie, if both were wrong. My suggested wager for him was 230, but that does have the drawback of allowing Andie to win with a tiny wager of his own. I'm not so sure Andie would have made a wise wager from second, being his 'all-but-a-dollar' bet totally disregarded what Eleanor might leave on the table. I'm curious to see how he wagers in the next game's FJ scenario.
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

twelvefootboy wrote: Mon Jul 04, 2022 11:58 pm PSA: states with 1 Representative: VT, DE, ND, SD, WY, MT, AK

I did not realize TWO Eastern states were on this list. I picked New Hampshire because frankly, I can't even name the capital right now (Concord? (confirmed)).

I didn't think it was a bad clue until learning just now (making the PSA) that Delaware also has just 1 Rep. There's enough hype around Presidential campaigns and electors that the nothingburger states should be noticeable.
econgator wrote: Mon Jul 04, 2022 8:19 pm
The 1930 Census eliminated districts 2-5.
I didn't think the clue implied that it all happened at once, but a 80% swing (from 5 reps to 1) is still inexplicable. Good sleuthing by the Tampa fan ;) . All I could find was that Congress did not reapportion after the 1920 census because the rural states didn't want to give up their advantage. 100 years later, same shit, different century.

Another "Hays Code" answer.

I thought Andie's "pallative" answer was good enough imho, even without the improved enunciation. There is no candidate for confusion. I've heard it said pal-ya-tive and without the four syllables more often than the correct version.
Montana gained a House seat in the last census and will have two seats starting in 2023.
davey

Post by davey »

Volante wrote: Tue Jul 05, 2022 12:15 am
twelvefootboy wrote: Mon Jul 04, 2022 11:58 pm I thought Andie's "pallative" answer was good enough imho, even without the improved enunciation. There is no candidate for confusion. I've heard it said pal-ya-tive and without the four syllables more often than the correct version.
MW has two pronunciations for palliative and both have 4 syls: https://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/palliative
I took the neg with the 3 syl version. It'll probably be officially correct in another 5-10 years, but not yet IMO.
The second shows 3 syllables-
pal-yə-[-tive]
The problem with pal-la-tive is no letter i accounted for, not the number of syllables...
da Doctah

Post by da Doctah »

I strongly suspect this is the real reason for the judges' reversal, and not the timing of his second attempt vs the buzzer. In my experience, more people omit the first I than pronounce it, so I'd call it an acceptable variant pronunciation.

I was ready to come here screaming bloody murder if they had let it stand and just moments later accepted "Pippin" for "Pepin".

(Personal side note: I've had two endoscopies, about two weeks apart, fifteen years ago. Only the first involved a long tube; the second had a light source and camera inside a transparent capsule.)
davey

Post by davey »

da Doctah wrote: Tue Jul 05, 2022 5:32 am
I strongly suspect this is the real reason for the judges' reversal, and not the timing of his second attempt vs the buzzer. In my experience, more people omit the first I than pronounce it, so I'd call it an acceptable variant pronunciation.
You'd have to find a dictionary that recorded such a variant. And why wouldn't they give that as the reason for the reversal? The reason they did give was true.
Last edited by davey on Tue Jul 05, 2022 11:01 am, edited 1 time in total.