Monday, July 4, 2022 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

Archivists
Fan-created archive of games and players

Monday, July 4, 2022 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by Archivists »

J! Round
Archivists

Re: Monday, July 4, 2022 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by Archivists »

DJ! Round
Archivists

Post by Archivists »

theFJguy
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by theFJguy »

FINAL JEOPARDY! CATEGORY
THE EASTERN U.S.

FINAL JEOPARDY! CLUE
At its peak, this state had 6 seats in the House of Representatives; since the 1930s, it has had just 1

Eleanor Dixon: 5784-3799=1985
Yungsheng Wang: 11800+11000=22800 (New Champ)
Andie Huskie: 12200-12199=1

Correct response:
Spoiler
Vermont (Eleanor - Rhode Island) (Andie - Delaware)

Daily Doubles
Yungsheng: 1000+1000
Andie: 13200-3000
Eleanor: 7800-2016

Coryats
Eleanor: 7800
Yungsheng: 11600
Andie: 15200

Combined: 34,600

Scores at the end of the Jeopardy! Round
Eleanor: 2600
Yungsheng: 6600
Andie: 4400
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

One died in 2018 and the other is still alive, so no need for requiring specification.

I laughed at the Better Things clue as that had stumper written all over as I rang in from my 4th podium.

The FJ! clue had me write RI and near the end switch to DE. Today was the day to go for third choice. Nice work by Yungsheng to get a nice pay day and a return engagement at the champ's spot.
BrigadierSolo13
Double Double Machine

Post by BrigadierSolo13 »

I came up with RI, DE, and VT as possible choices and I see no reason as to why this isn't a 3-sided coin flip. Am I missing some significant 1930s event in Vermont? Is it simply because it's the largest of the 3?

I went with RI for what it's worth.
cf1140
Not Jeopardy! Material

Post by cf1140 »

BrigadierSolo13 wrote: Mon Jul 04, 2022 2:17 pm I came up with RI, DE, and VT as possible choices and I see no reason as to why this isn't a 3-sided coin flip. Am I missing some significant 1930s event in Vermont? Is it simply because it's the largest of the 3?

I went with RI for what it's worth.
RI has two reps so it's only a regular coin flip for VT & DE
Golf

Post by Golf »

This is one of many recent FJ clues that really piss me off. No worthwhile pinning whatsoever unless I'm missing something.

Let's assume that one knows that the only two eastern states having only one house member are Vermont and Delaware. How do you choose? Looked at the historical populations and that gave little insight. Then there's the fact that Maine, New Hampshire, and Rhode Island only have 2 reps because I have to assume very few people know how many reps each state has.

If you're really up on election stuff it's a 50/50 coin flip, if you have some decent election knowledge, it's a 5-sided coin flip. (perhaps this could be a new bitcoin like product)

So unless someone can offer some logic I'm missing, this is a total bull crap clue.
DBear
Denier of Pop Culture

Post by DBear »

I'm sorry, but is far easier for me to visualize a scenario where Delaware could have six reps than Vermont :? . Unlike Vermont, Delaware actually has a large city in Wilmington. Agree, this is a garbage clue.
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

CyrusChan

Post by CyrusChan »

lots of lach trash.

what was the significance of the 1930's? not any new state admitted to the nation or census??

should have prompted a BMS for Bush. I don't like Mayim answering for people.
LucarioSnooperVixey
Carrying Letters and Lemons

Post by LucarioSnooperVixey »

59 R (Mark will fill me in as I missed the Better Things actress.)
DD: 3/3
FJ: :mrgreen:

A bit of an ambiguous FJ clue. Was toiling between the two states and I chose the one that is less populous. Although Vermont isn't less populous by much.
Douglas Squasoni
Ironhorse
Second Banana

Post by Ironhorse »

The reversal in Andie's favor likely cost the game, unforunately.
opusthepenguin
The Best Darn Penguin on the Whole JBoard

Post by opusthepenguin »

Ironhorse wrote: Mon Jul 04, 2022 4:34 pm The reversal in Andie's favor likely cost the game, unforunately.
Pretty sure Yungsheng getting FJ right had more to do with it. If he'd gotten it wrong he would've cost himself the game. There's no telling whether Andie's wager from second would've been smarter, only that it almost certainly wouldn't have been dumber. (All-in would be the only dumber bet, I think.) Sorry Yungsheng and I liked you a lot and look forward to seeing you tomorrow.
opusthepenguin
The Best Darn Penguin on the Whole JBoard

Post by opusthepenguin »

Golf wrote: Mon Jul 04, 2022 2:29 pm Let's assume that one knows that the only two eastern states having only one house member are Vermont and Delaware. How do you choose? Looked at the historical populations and that gave little insight. Then there's the fact that Maine, New Hampshire, and Rhode Island only have 2 reps because I have to assume very few people know how many reps each state has.
Yep, for me it was a 5-sided coin flip. I went with New Hampshire and worried it was Delaware. Those were the two that I could imagine having 6 reps at some point in the past. It's possible Vermont would have been my third guess.
DBear wrote: Mon Jul 04, 2022 2:36 pm I'm sorry, but is far easier for me to visualize a scenario where Delaware could have six reps than Vermont :? .
100% agree. If I'd had an electoral map in my head, I'd still have gone with the wrong 1-representative eastern state.
Leander

Post by Leander »

opusthepenguin wrote: Mon Jul 04, 2022 5:54 pm
Golf wrote: Mon Jul 04, 2022 2:29 pm Let's assume that one knows that the only two eastern states having only one house member are Vermont and Delaware. How do you choose? Looked at the historical populations and that gave little insight. Then there's the fact that Maine, New Hampshire, and Rhode Island only have 2 reps because I have to assume very few people know how many reps each state has.
Yep, for me it was a 5-sided coin flip. I went with New Hampshire and worried it was Delaware. Those were the two that I could imagine having 6 reps at some point in the past. It's possible Vermont would have been my third guess.
DBear wrote: Mon Jul 04, 2022 2:36 pm I'm sorry, but is far easier for me to visualize a scenario where Delaware could have six reps than Vermont :? .
100% agree. If I'd had an electoral map in my head, I'd still have gone with the wrong 1-representative eastern state.
I agree with this. Without knowing which states had one rep, I flipped between RI, NH and Delaware, figuring all might have had a relatively larger industrial base at one time before declining. I settled on New Hampshire. Vermont, as a small rural state, would absolutely have been my last choice.
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

CyrusChan wrote: Mon Jul 04, 2022 2:48 pm
what was the significance of the 1930's? not any new state admitted to the nation or census??
The 1930 Census eliminated districts 2-5.

If I had known that before looking it up, I wouldn't have guessed Delaware. :)
Woppy T

Post by Woppy T »

It didn’t affect the outcome, but I was hoping for a reversal on “Tristam Shandy.” At least that’s what I heard.
alietr
Site Admin

Post by alietr »

I think that's the first time I've seen a male Andie spelled with 'ie' instead of a 'y'.
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

I eliminated Maine because I know they have two House members because they split their electoral vote in 2020.

I did get it right because I recall Sanders being referred to as an “at-large” rep. But that was lucky on my part because I know there is no real way to pick the right state if you are unfamiliar with them once having five House members.

Got a chuckle from the new champ’s reaction when he said FDR died in 2018. He laughed about it going into the break. Glad it didn’t fluster him.