Tuesday, July 5, 2022 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

opusthepenguin
The Best Darn Penguin on the Whole JBoard

Re: Tuesday, July 5, 2022 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by opusthepenguin »

Leander wrote: Tue Jul 05, 2022 7:20 pm
MarkBarrett wrote: Tue Jul 05, 2022 1:44 pm
Young people. :roll: 90 for DD1. :lol:

At least she’s lost 5 years since the last time she came up in March ;)
I was thinking the same thing! The poor woman is really taking a beating from Jeopardy! contestants this year. When the clue came up asking for the value of the Roman numeral XCVI, I quipped, "At least no one said said What is Donna Summer's age?"
ldfghjkl
Valued Contributor

Post by ldfghjkl »

opusthepenguin wrote: Tue Jul 05, 2022 8:20 pm
Leander wrote: Tue Jul 05, 2022 3:09 pm
BrigadierSolo13 wrote: Tue Jul 05, 2022 1:47 pm Woah... I'm really supposed to know the distance in feet between FBI Headquarters and the correct response, as opposed to my guess of the Watergate?

I guess I should know the Watergate isn't a Historic Site... but it could be?
It’s probably more an expectation that we know that the FBI building is in the central government district near a lot of places, while the Watergate is over by the Potomac near nothing in particular.
Over two miles to the west. How do people not know this? :roll:
Maybe I'm misunderstanding sarcasm, but I've never been to Washington D.C. and couldn't tell you the first thing about where different buildings are relative to each other. Is this something people are expected to learn in school? (I certainly didn't.) Is it something Jeopardy tends to bring up?
davey
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by davey »

Leander wrote: Tue Jul 05, 2022 3:09 pm
BrigadierSolo13 wrote: Tue Jul 05, 2022 1:47 pm Woah... I'm really supposed to know the distance in feet between FBI Headquarters and the correct response, as opposed to my guess of the Watergate?

I guess I should know the Watergate isn't a Historic Site... but it could be?
It’s probably more an expectation that we know that the FBI building is in the central government district near a lot of places, while the Watergate is over by the Potomac near nothing in particular.
Yes, I wish I had given more thought to that, something i know from my brief touristy and non-touristy visits to the city. I convinced myself that the correct response had to be related to J. Edgar or the FBI in some way... And is that such an unreasonable assumption?...:roll:
Volante
Harbinger of the Doomed Lemur

Post by Volante »

The To Kill a Mockingbird TS weirded me out; I was beginning to think I was wrong when they started negging...

TIL 'glut' is an economics term :lol:
DBear wrote: Tue Jul 05, 2022 1:47 pm Total WAG. Got it, but another garbage FJ! clue. J! cannot continue being a luck-based show. :(
I, too, am perturbed when they provide clues I don't know the response to.
I was not perturbed this time.

FWIW, other than Watergate, what -other- options are there? (Also, the idea that an apartment/hotel complex is 300ft north of the FBI headquarters does stretch belief...)
The best thing that Neil Armstrong ever did, was to let us all imagine we were him.
Latest movies (1-10): Everything Everywhere All at Once (10), Ruby Gillman: Teenage Kraken (6), Black Sunday /1960/ (6), Marcel the Shell with Shoes On (7)
harrumph
Voyeur

Post by harrumph »

"Mayim" is currently trending on Twitter. A bunch of people are unsatisfied with her performance and prefer Ken.
Category 13
Wagering Viking

Post by Category 13 »

MarkBarrett wrote: Suzy guessing the grassy knoll was better than nothing though why there? It would be the Texas School Book Depository instead. ;)
Dead on. She must have been thinking of the 29th president instead of the 10th.

I had $6800 in Lach trash, including; Delinquency, per, cement, screw, and glut. Plus the '78' DD.

Volante wrote:TIL 'glut' is an economics term :lol:
That clue would have went over well with Bernie Sanders.
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

I wonder if Mayim had any idea what "the grassy knoll" meant when Suzy's response was shown?

Mayim was 16 in 1991, so old enough to have seen the Stone's JFK. The conspiracy stuff and shooter theories have never gone away, but I also think it is possible for a 46-year-old to not know the significance of the spot in Dallas.

It would have been helpful if Mayim had added some kind of comment about it along the lines of, "Yes, the place is associated with a presidential assassination, but Dallas is not the right city. Still, I'd like to give Mayim the benefit of the doubt that "the grassy knoll" was not a taping day today I learned for her.
CyrusChan

Post by CyrusChan »

econgator wrote: Tue Jul 05, 2022 8:17 pm
MarkBarrett wrote: Tue Jul 05, 2022 6:47 pm Just to make sure, the Chinese is Yungsheng's name?
Spoiler
Imagine if it was not and instead it something political or offensive.

Thank you to the challengers for not missing with Ford Theater or the theater where Lincoln was shot.
Google Translate puts it as 永生. So, definitely the first character, but I'm not sure why the 2nd one is different.

No, his Chinese name is 永勝, which means continuous/eternal victory. His victory (2nd) character is written incorrectly in that the bottom part should have the energy character, 力 and not the blade character, 刀.
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

Another Watergate here. Like yesterday, not a fan of FJs that require knowledge of specific information like DC geography.
opusthepenguin

Post by opusthepenguin »

Volante wrote: Tue Jul 05, 2022 10:56 pm (Also, the idea that an apartment/hotel complex is 300ft north of the FBI headquarters does stretch belief...)
There's an apartment building across the street from Ford's Theater on the north side, another apartment building a block east of the J. Edgar Hoover building, and 2 apartment buildings a block west. And there's a Waldorf Astoria hotel catty-corner across the street to the southwest.
opusthepenguin

Post by opusthepenguin »

ldfghjkl wrote: Tue Jul 05, 2022 10:41 pm
opusthepenguin wrote: Tue Jul 05, 2022 8:20 pm
Leander wrote: Tue Jul 05, 2022 3:09 pm It’s probably more an expectation that we know that the FBI building is in the central government district near a lot of places, while the Watergate is over by the Potomac near nothing in particular.
Over two miles to the west. How do people not know this? :roll:
Maybe I'm misunderstanding sarcasm, but I've never been to Washington D.C. and couldn't tell you the first thing about where different buildings are relative to each other. Is this something people are expected to learn in school? (I certainly didn't.) Is it something Jeopardy tends to bring up?
Nope. See that emoji with the rolling eyes? That's the sarcasm signal. If you're familiar with my style you'll realize you're lucky to get it. It's the closest I come to slapping you on the back and guffawing in your face that I'm just joshing you.
opusthepenguin

Post by opusthepenguin »

CyrusChan wrote: Wed Jul 06, 2022 1:58 am No, his Chinese name is 永勝, which means continuous/eternal victory. His victory (2nd) character is written incorrectly in that the bottom part should have the energy character, 力 and not the blade character, 刀.
I think we can probably cut him a little slack there. Even English letters get a little tricky with the light pen. Thanks for the translation.
Robert K S
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by Robert K S »

opusthepenguin wrote: Wed Jul 06, 2022 10:52 am
CyrusChan wrote: Wed Jul 06, 2022 1:58 am No, his Chinese name is 永勝, which means continuous/eternal victory. His victory (2nd) character is written incorrectly in that the bottom part should have the energy character, 力 and not the blade character, 刀.
I think we can probably cut him a little slack there. Even English letters get a little tricky with the light pen. Thanks for the translation.
He also seems to be missing the upper-right stroke on the first character.
reddpen
Thrice Unplucked from the Jeopardy! Pool

Post by reddpen »

Volante wrote: Tue Jul 05, 2022 10:56 pmFWIW, other than Watergate, what -other- options are there? (Also, the idea that an apartment/hotel complex is 300ft north of the FBI headquarters does stretch belief...)
Given the proximity to the FBI building (presumably where Mark Felt worked), I figured they wanted something like "the garage where Deep Throat met Woodward." Choosing which words to scrawl in 30 seconds would have been a challenge, cuz "Watergate parking garage" would likely be interpreted to mean the garage for the hotel complex.
In and out of the pool four times
davey

Post by davey »

reddpen wrote: Wed Jul 06, 2022 7:16 pm
Volante wrote: Tue Jul 05, 2022 10:56 pmFWIW, other than Watergate, what -other- options are there? (Also, the idea that an apartment/hotel complex is 300ft north of the FBI headquarters does stretch belief...)
Given the proximity to the FBI building (presumably where Mark Felt worked), I figured they wanted something like "the garage where Deep Throat met Woodward." Choosing which words to scrawl in 30 seconds would have been a challenge, cuz "Watergate parking garage" would likely be interpreted to mean the garage for the hotel complex.
I like that guess! Unfortunately the garage is in Virginia and doesn't seem to have a name...
https://www.bizjournals.com/washington/ ... velop.html
alietr
Site Admin

Post by alietr »

davey wrote: Wed Jul 06, 2022 8:23 pm
I like that guess! Unfortunately the garage is in Virginia and doesn't seem to have a name...
I haven't been by there lately, but I think it was torn down.
davey

Post by davey »

alietr wrote: Wed Jul 06, 2022 9:30 pm
May be. Wiki says
As of 2022, the garage had not been demolished.
but it footnotes to the article linked above from 2017!... :roll:
floridagator

Post by floridagator »

I got Ford's Theater instantly and predicted at least one of the contestants would say watergate. Grassy knoll was truly a head scratcher. Did she think the grassy knoll was in Washington or the FBI headquarters was in dallas?

The clue requires you to know that FBI headquarters is in the middle of Washington and then what National Historic Site is also in the middle of Washington. If you're thinking watergate, then it's neither of those. It's not a National Historic Site and it's not in the middle of Washington.

Watergate contestant never heard of 78 rpm records. Tony Bennett recorded on them, but not Diana Ross.
I'd rather cuddle then have sex. If you're into grammar, you'll understand.
Mathew5000

Post by Mathew5000 »

davey wrote: Wed Jul 06, 2022 9:38 pm
alietr wrote: Wed Jul 06, 2022 9:30 pm
reddpen wrote: Wed Jul 06, 2022 7:16 pm Given the proximity to the FBI building (presumably where Mark Felt worked), I figured they wanted something like "the garage where Deep Throat met Woodward." Choosing which words to scrawl in 30 seconds would have been a challenge, cuz "Watergate parking garage" would likely be interpreted to mean the garage for the hotel complex.
May be. Wiki says
As of 2022, the garage had not been demolished.
but it footnotes to the article linked above from 2017!... :roll:
The 2017 article cited by Wikipedia (from Washington Business Journal) said that Monday Properties was seeking a three-year extension of its site plan, for the redevelopment of 1401 Wilson Blvd (where the "Deep Throat parking garage" is) and 1400 Key Blvd. Three years later, the website Urban Turf reported that Arlington County granted another three-year extension (here and here), to 2023. A Google Streetview image from October 2021 shows no evidence of construction at 1401 Wilson Blvd: https://goo.gl/maps/kUAt7WVZo3MRDk168 so I'm assuming Wikipedia is correct that the building is still there.

Concerning the historical marker at the site of the parking garage, this piece in the Chicago Reader is interesting. It suggests that it was not the Deep Throat information published by Woodward and Bernstein that resulted in Nixon's resignation, but rather the release of the Smoking Gun tape (subject of a Final Jeopardy clue last month).
Robert K S
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by Robert K S »

Mathew5000 wrote: Sat Jul 09, 2022 6:10 pm this piece in the Chicago Reader ... suggests that it was not the Deep Throat information published by Woodward and Bernstein that resulted in Nixon's resignation, but rather the release of the Smoking Gun tape (subject of a Final Jeopardy clue last month).
Whether or not Felt told all he knew, the impression one gets from reading history, or certainly from watching the Redford/Hoffman movie, is that the two things are inseparable, one of them just a later domino after the other. It's not clear you get to a point where the judicial branch is bossing around the executive at the behest of the legislative without media saturation of the scandal.

(Just try not to pay too much attention to the rearrangement of the chronology.)