FJs for the 7/25/22 week

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

Which FJ! clues did you solve correctly for the 7/25/22 week?

Poll ended at Sun Oct 23, 2022 7:49 pm

Honored in 1998 as part of a rock group & in 2019 as a solo artist, this singer was the first woman to be inducted into the Hall twice
57%
This children's book character, introduced in 1926 & a friend of the title creature, gets his name from the sound he might make
70%
Milton wrote of this contemporary: "When by night the glass of" him "observes imagined lands and regions in the moon"
57%
It's the only independent survivor of the Spanish March, buffer states created to protect Christian Europe from the Moors
64%
For about 20 years after its invention, it had few practical uses; then suddenly it revolutionized grocery checkouts & home audio
52%
:mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:  I checked all five above.
12%
:( :( :( :( :(  I missed all the FJ! clues.
4%
OFFICIAL STATE STUFF $1000: Its state insect is the honey bee & its state emblem is a beehive
91%
MOUNTAINS $2000: This Canadian mountain is second only to Denali as the highest peak in North America
44%
WEST VIRGINIA & REGULAR VIRGINIA $800: This West Virginia town was still part of regular Virginia when its arsenal was overrun on Oct. 16, 1859
78%
Tina Turner was my incorrect guess for the Monday FJ! clue.
5%
Joan Jett was my incorrect guess for the Monday FJ! clue.
9%
I missed the Tuesday FJ! clue with the wrong Milne character.
3%
Thumper was my incorrect guess for the Tuesday FJ! clue.
9%
Newton was my incorrect guess for the Wednesday FJ! clue.
10%
Copernicus was my incorrect guess for the Wednesday FJ! clue.
4%
Kepler was my incorrect guess for the Wednesday FJ! clue.
1%
I led myself astray on the Wednesday FJ! clue in thinking the person had to be a poet.
22%
I have set foot in Andorra.
No votes
Bluetooth was my incorrect guess for the Friday FJ! clue.
9%
I am fairly sure to certain that I saw all 230 games in Season 38 as well as all 9 hours of the JNCC.
34%

Total votes: 77

MarkBarrett
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

FJs for the 7/25/22 week

Post by MarkBarrett »

7/25 FINAL JEOPARDY! CATEGORY
THE ROCK & ROLL HALL OF FAME

7/25 FINAL JEOPARDY! CLUE
Honored in 1998 as part of a rock group & in 2019 as a solo artist, this singer was the first woman to be inducted into the Hall twice

7/26 FINAL JEOPARDY! CATEGORY
LITERARY ANIMALS

7/26 FINAL JEOPARDY! CLUE
This children's book character, introduced in 1926 & a friend of the title creature, gets his name from the sound he might make

7/27 FINAL JEOPARDY! CATEGORY
REAL PEOPLE IN POETRY

7/27 FINAL JEOPARDY! CLUE
Milton wrote of this contemporary: "When by night the glass of" him "observes imagined lands and regions in the moon"

7/28 FINAL JEOPARDY! CATEGORY
COUNTRIES OF EUROPE

7/28 FINAL JEOPARDY! CLUE
It's the only independent survivor of the Spanish March, buffer states created to protect Christian Europe from the Moors

7/29 FINAL JEOPARDY! CATEGORY
TECH HISTORY

7/29 FINAL JEOPARDY! CLUE
For about 20 years after its invention, it had few practical uses; then suddenly it revolutionized grocery checkouts & home audio

Correct responses in spoiler box:
Spoiler
Stevie Nicks
Eeyore
Galileo
Andorra
the laser
The players were 7/15 (46.67%) with a 0-2-0-2-3 success pattern.

The extra clues have ones correct by the players sandwiching a triple stumper.

OFFICIAL STATE STUFF $1000: Its state insect is the honey bee & its state emblem is a beehive

MOUNTAINS $2000: This Canadian mountain is second only to Denali as the highest peak in North America

WEST VIRGINIA & REGULAR VIRGINIA $800: This West Virginia town was still part of regular Virginia when its arsenal was overrun on Oct. 16, 1859

Correct responses in spoiler box:
Spoiler
Utah
Mount Logan
Harpers Ferry
MarkBarrett

Re: FJs for the 7/25/22 week

Post by MarkBarrett »

:mrgreen: :mrgreen: :( :mrgreen: :(
:mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

Blake in thinking I needed a poet
Bluetooth
Certain I saw all 230+9
LucarioSnooperVixey
Carrying Letters and Lemons

Post by LucarioSnooperVixey »

:mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
Douglas Squasoni
Volante
Harbinger of the Doomed Lemur

Post by Volante »

:( :( :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

Mon - Janet Jackson
Tue - Thumper

FJ record - 165/230 (71.7%)
The best thing that Neil Armstrong ever did, was to let us all imagine we were him.
Latest movies (1-10): Everything Everywhere All at Once (10), Ruby Gillman: Teenage Kraken (6), Black Sunday /1960/ (6), Marcel the Shell with Shoes On (7)
DBear
Denier of Pop Culture

Post by DBear »

:( (Diana Ross) :mrgreen: :( (Newton) :mrgreen: :( (barcodes)
Thanks for the archives. :D
Glad for the hiatus.
Leander

Post by Leander »

:mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :(
:mrgreen: :( :mrgreen:

Not giving myself credit for laser scanner on Friday
Never been to Andorra
Saw a pretty high percentage of the games, but definitely not all.
seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns

Post by seaborgium »

I noted on Monday that the player who responded with Tina Turner won thirteen years and a day after I responded (correctly) with Tina Turner and won, but I didn't realize on Wednesday that my run (which was during the last week of a season as well) also included an FJ whose gist was "name the person that this poet was talking about." Since the category I faced was POETS ON POETS, perhaps it was better that I didn't think of that at the time.

edit: saying "it was better" just reminded me of the "Betty Botter" tongue twister that came up this week; I should have put in for a poll item about that, because my dad made it a staple of my childhood.
cthulhu

Post by cthulhu »

:mrgreen: :( :(
Plactus

Post by Plactus »

:( :mrgreen: :( :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

Jett, no guess (thinking of writers, nothing worked)

Never been to Andorra.
Definitely missed some games while I was on vacation last week.
Oh, what has science wrought? I sought only to turn a man into a metal-encased juggernaut of destruction powered by the unknown properties of a mysterious living crystal. How could this have all gone wrong?
davey

Post by davey »

:mrgreen: :( :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :(
Glad that in this last week, I got a couple in categories I dread, especially since I tend to mix up those teeny European countries... :)
Probably should know Mt. Logan better...
I never consider skipping an episode, though I'm not sure I'm prepared as our favorite TV show expands into the J!TU (Jeopardy! Television Universe)... :D I'm always ready for a little break each August!
RetiredDoc

Post by RetiredDoc »

:( :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :(
Volante
Harbinger of the Doomed Lemur

Post by Volante »

davey wrote: Sat Jul 30, 2022 9:11 pm Probably should know Mt. Logan better...
I've always managed to remember Mt Logan because that's Wolverine's name* and he's Canadian

*He didn't become James Howlett until 2001, well after the X-Men Animated Series. Also, that's a stupid retcon. :lol:
The best thing that Neil Armstrong ever did, was to let us all imagine we were him.
Latest movies (1-10): Everything Everywhere All at Once (10), Ruby Gillman: Teenage Kraken (6), Black Sunday /1960/ (6), Marcel the Shell with Shoes On (7)
threearruda

Post by threearruda »

:mrgreen: :mrgreen: :( :mrgreen: :(

Newton Wednesday, nothing close on Friday.

Definitely missed an ep or two due to March Madness, and have not watched this Thursday's game. Only watched the finale of JNCC and likely won't venture much into primetime J! - too much for one day, IMO. Definitely ready for a break and I look forward to reconvening in September! Thanks as always to the archivists and JBoard staff/community!
J! S39 - 1/27-2/1. '24 ToC ???

5x TD champ - 7x TD host
TreeOfHeaven
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by TreeOfHeaven »

Copernicus was an easy wrong answer.

My DVR, friends with hookups, and paying attention to local-station crawls during major news events are how I got the full season. See you in September!!
Hippest of the square, and squarest among the hip...
AFRET CMS
JBOARDIE OF THE MONTH!

Post by AFRET CMS »

Came oh so close to green across the board to close out the season, but misrembered the Canadian mountain as "Larson."

Have been to both Spain and France, but never in Andorra.
I'm not the defending Jeopardy! champion. But I have played one on TV.
Golf

Post by Golf »

Regarding two of this week's extra clues.

Two basic geography clues, the Beehive State and the Canada's tallest mountain, both having appeared on the shows dozens of times. Utah is currently polling at 90% while Mt. Logan is polling at 45%.

Why the difference? Both clues should be incredibly easy for a Jeopardy fan. I would have thought Mt. Logan would have polled slightly higher. Thoughts?
davey

Post by davey »

Golf wrote: Sun Jul 31, 2022 7:44 pm Regarding two of this week's extra clues.

Two basic geography clues, the Beehive State and the Canada's tallest mountain, both having appeared on the shows dozens of times. Utah is currently polling at 90% while Mt. Logan is polling at 45%.

Why the difference? Both clues should be incredibly easy for a Jeopardy fan. I would have thought Mt. Logan would have polled slightly higher. Thoughts?
Some are less interested in Canadian geography? This is shown often on the show, isn't it?
I'm surprised I didn't know it. It's "basic," as you say. But I didn't.
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

I wonder how much higher the tallest mountain in the US would poll? 65-70% maybe?

Tallest in the lower 48 would probably poll lower than 45%.
DBear
Denier of Pop Culture

Post by DBear »

Why would you think Mt. Logan would poll higher? I thought everyone, even non-J! class people, knew Utah was the beehive state.
Mt. Logan, OTOH, is a J!-level trivia item that J!-class players should know, but the average person won't.
The polling looks totally legit AFAIC.
twelvefootboy

Post by twelvefootboy »

:( :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :( :mrgreen:

I had no guess for Monday. Debbie Harry and Blondie are the only female singers I can name from the era. Yeah, I know :roll:
I picked Lichtenstein as the fake country.

I have missed a few eps for travel or full evenings. I also tuned out during latter games of Amy and Matt's runs out of monotony. Mattea's run was fun all the way.

I
econgator wrote: Sun Jul 31, 2022 8:31 pm

I wonder how much higher the tallest mountain in the US would poll? 65-70% maybe?

Tallest in the lower 48 would probably poll lower than 45%.
I will join the 55% for the lower 48. I know it's not Pike's Peak or Mount Long, but it isn't coming to me.
I don't recall Mt. Logan from previous viewing, but it may take a few more exposures for the osmosis to kick in. I do have Stone of Scone down pat and am always ready for the next Waiting for Godot revival :).
Disclaimer - repeated exposure to author's musings may cause befuddlement.