FJs for the 7/25/22 week

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

Which FJ! clues did you solve correctly for the 7/25/22 week?

Poll ended at Sun Oct 23, 2022 7:49 pm

Honored in 1998 as part of a rock group & in 2019 as a solo artist, this singer was the first woman to be inducted into the Hall twice
57%
This children's book character, introduced in 1926 & a friend of the title creature, gets his name from the sound he might make
70%
Milton wrote of this contemporary: "When by night the glass of" him "observes imagined lands and regions in the moon"
57%
It's the only independent survivor of the Spanish March, buffer states created to protect Christian Europe from the Moors
64%
For about 20 years after its invention, it had few practical uses; then suddenly it revolutionized grocery checkouts & home audio
52%
:mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:  I checked all five above.
12%
:( :( :( :( :(  I missed all the FJ! clues.
4%
OFFICIAL STATE STUFF $1000: Its state insect is the honey bee & its state emblem is a beehive
91%
MOUNTAINS $2000: This Canadian mountain is second only to Denali as the highest peak in North America
44%
WEST VIRGINIA & REGULAR VIRGINIA $800: This West Virginia town was still part of regular Virginia when its arsenal was overrun on Oct. 16, 1859
78%
Tina Turner was my incorrect guess for the Monday FJ! clue.
5%
Joan Jett was my incorrect guess for the Monday FJ! clue.
9%
I missed the Tuesday FJ! clue with the wrong Milne character.
3%
Thumper was my incorrect guess for the Tuesday FJ! clue.
9%
Newton was my incorrect guess for the Wednesday FJ! clue.
10%
Copernicus was my incorrect guess for the Wednesday FJ! clue.
4%
Kepler was my incorrect guess for the Wednesday FJ! clue.
1%
I led myself astray on the Wednesday FJ! clue in thinking the person had to be a poet.
22%
I have set foot in Andorra.
No votes
Bluetooth was my incorrect guess for the Friday FJ! clue.
9%
I am fairly sure to certain that I saw all 230 games in Season 38 as well as all 9 hours of the JNCC.
34%

Total votes: 77

opusthepenguin
The Best Darn Penguin on the Whole JBoard

Re: FJs for the 7/25/22 week

Post by opusthepenguin »

twelvefootboy wrote: Sun Jul 31, 2022 11:11 pm I picked Lichtenstein as the fake country.
twelvefootboy wrote: Sun Jul 31, 2022 11:11 pmI know it's not Pike's Peak
Pikes Peak. No apostrophe.

This concludes today's nitpicky spelling corrections. (Ok, probably not.)
Robert K S
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by Robert K S »

opusthepenguin wrote: Mon Aug 01, 2022 10:04 am

I'm 100% for pedantry, but this is the kind of pedantry where it's useful to understand the underlying reason. And once you do, you probably don't bother to "correct" anyone anymore, because the presence or absence of an apostrophe was a totally arbitrary cartographic standards decision, not anything born of local usage or tradition. After all, the guy was Zebulon Pike, not Zebulon Pikes.

It may become a moot point. I would bet money Pikes Peak will be renamed (to Tavá Mountain) this century.
Golf
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by Golf »

Golf wrote: Sun Jul 31, 2022 7:44 pm Regarding two of this week's extra clues.

Two basic geography clues, the Beehive State and the Canada's tallest mountain, both having appeared on the shows dozens of times. Utah is currently polling at 90% while Mt. Logan is polling at 45%.

Why the difference? Both clues should be incredibly easy for a Jeopardy fan. I would have thought Mt. Logan would have polled slightly higher. Thoughts?
DBear wrote: Sun Jul 31, 2022 9:01 pm Why would you think Mt. Logan would poll higher? I thought everyone, even non-J! class people, knew Utah was the beehive state.
Mt. Logan, OTOH, is a J!-level trivia item that J!-class players should know, but the average person won't.
The polling looks totally legit AFAIC.
Non J-class people don't know anything trivia related, it's incredibly sad. I doubt 5% of those with no connection to Utah know it. I also think the same sad percentage would know Mt. Logan.

But you know what? We're not talking about normal people here, we're not even talking about the standard Jeopardy contestant, we're talking about a board where people watch Jeopardy each and every day without fail and have been subject to Mt. Logan countless times. And the same can be said for the Beehive state.

You seem like everybody should know the Beehive state, and by that everybody should know the nickname of all 50 states. Which is laughable, I doubt you'll find hardly anybody here that could rattle off all 50 just given the state alone. But Mt. Logan is the 2nd highest peak of the continent we all live on. It's not like it's the 18th highest or something random, but the 2nd highest.

Personally, in various trivial endeavors over 30 years now, I've run into Mt. Logan a lot more than I have the Beehive State.

In the end I'll just add this to the collection of human behavior I'll never understand.
Robert K S
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by Robert K S »

Knowing Utah was the beehive state was certainly something I learned from Jeopardy! (and/or this board's predecessor), and it very well may have been from Ken Jennings's original Hometown Howdy ("...I hope the whole Beehive State will be buzzing about my appearance...").
MinnesotaMyron
JBOARDIE OF THE MONTH!

Post by MinnesotaMyron »

Golf wrote: Sun Jul 31, 2022 7:44 pm Regarding two of this week's extra clues.

Two basic geography clues, the Beehive State and the Canada's tallest mountain, both having appeared on the shows dozens of times. Utah is currently polling at 90% while Mt. Logan is polling at 45%.

Why the difference? Both clues should be incredibly easy for a Jeopardy fan. I would have thought Mt. Logan would have polled slightly higher. Thoughts?
The clue isn't "tallest mountain in Canada", it's "second tallest mountain in North America (which is in Canada)". Yes, it amounts to the same thing, but you can't discount the extra steps.
twelvefootboy

Post by twelvefootboy »

twelvefootboy wrote: Sun Jul 31, 2022 11:11 pm I picked Lichtenstein as the fake country.

Better keep that toon handy, I'm pretty sure I'm a repeat offender. My spelling guilt ends when the wiggly red line disappears, and Lichtenstein is accepted by this board's software. (apparently there is an artist that may have made the dictionary?). I drove through this fake country four years ago and didn't have time to memorize the spelling.
The Pikes Peak anomaly, just SMH. As penance I have researched and learned that M't.Whit'ney is the tallest on the mainland at 14,498 ft. Big surprise to me it's not one of the Colorado summits.
Disclaimer - repeated exposure to author's musings may cause befuddlement.
Bartleby

Post by Bartleby »

:mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
:mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

Watched the whole season and the JNCC.
I would prefer not to.
opusthepenguin
The Best Darn Penguin on the Whole JBoard

Post by opusthepenguin »

twelvefootboy wrote: Mon Aug 01, 2022 11:14 pm
Spoiler

Better keep that toon handy, I'm pretty sure I'm a repeat offender. My spelling guilt ends when the wiggly red line disappears, and Lichtenstein is accepted by this board's software. (apparently there is an artist that may have made the dictionary?).
Yes, Roy Lichtenstein was a renowned pop artist. His 1962 painting "Masterpiece" sold in 2017 for $165 million.
Roy Lichtenstein's "Masterpiece"
Shaquebanisa
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by Shaquebanisa »

:( :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :(
:mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: