Bye Bye Clue Crew

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

Robert K S
Jeopardy! Champion

Bye Bye Clue Crew

Post by Robert K S »

Anybody who got the official e-mail blast yesterday got a link to this story, the first official announcement of the end of the Clue Crew, with some interesting retrospective info about Sarah and Jimmy.

https://www.jeopardy.com/jbuzz/behind-s ... -clue-crew
mikebdoss
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Re: Bye Bye Clue Crew

Post by mikebdoss »

And nothing whatsoever about the rest of the Clue Crew. I thought that was strange reading it.
LucarioSnooperVixey
Carrying Letters and Lemons

Post by LucarioSnooperVixey »

Well, that was my first time seeing Sarah in a bikini.
Douglas Squasoni
opusthepenguin
The Best Darn Penguin on the Whole JBoard

Post by opusthepenguin »

LucarioSnooperVixey wrote: Sat Aug 20, 2022 3:59 am Well, that was my first time seeing Sarah in a bikini.
I'm only seeing the picture where she's in a one-piece.
DBear
Denier of Pop Culture

Post by DBear »

I thought the whole point of the Clue Crew when it started was to train possible replacements for Alex. What happened to that?
opusthepenguin
The Best Darn Penguin on the Whole JBoard

Post by opusthepenguin »

DBear wrote: Sat Aug 20, 2022 4:30 pm I thought the whole point of the Clue Crew when it started was to train possible replacements for Alex. What happened to that?
I don't recall having that impression at the time but maybe I missed the explanation. To me the Clue Crew was just a way to add a new visual element and some pizzazz to the show. Bring in some new viewers, maybe some younger ones who didn't grow up on radio and who like the V in AV to be a little more pronounced--that sort of thing.

I'm curious what will replace the Clue Crew. I'm sure they're not just deeming it a long failed experiment and hitting the reset button.
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

opusthepenguin wrote: Sun Aug 21, 2022 2:45 pm
DBear wrote: Sat Aug 20, 2022 4:30 pm I thought the whole point of the Clue Crew when it started was to train possible replacements for Alex. What happened to that?
I don't recall having that impression at the time but maybe I missed the explanation. To me the Clue Crew was just a way to add a new visual element and some pizzazz to the show. Bring in some new viewers, maybe some younger ones who didn't grow up on radio and who like the V in AV to be a little more pronounced--that sort of thing.

I'm curious what will replace the Clue Crew. I'm sure they're not just deeming it a long failed experiment and hitting the reset button.
The affiliate anchors do the same type clues. When archiving games I usually post a comment about such news crew clues. Other times (Iain "Young Sheldon" Armitage for one) there have been many celeb clue readers.
Robert K S
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by Robert K S »

I liked the on-location clues, but I also really liked a lot of the science-lab demonstration clues and the talking-head-next-to-a-monitor-showing-an-animated-explanation type clues. Going to miss the variety of clue types we would get in the Crew's golden age.
CyrusChan

Post by CyrusChan »

Robert K S wrote: Sun Aug 21, 2022 2:57 pm I liked the on-location clues, but I also really liked a lot of the science-lab demonstration clues and the talking-head-next-to-a-monitor-showing-an-animated-explanation type clues. Going to miss the variety of clue types we would get in the Crew's golden age.

me too!
SBurrus

Post by SBurrus »

So, why the end of Clue Crew? Because Sarah and Jimmy have new roles? Money?

Is this one of those things the new Executive Producer decided was necessary to put his touch on Jeopardy!?
goongas

Post by goongas »

The Clue Crew was a time sink. I am happy they are getting rid of it.
nserven
At the Clam Shack

Post by nserven »

I imagine that flying a production team to a place like the Great Wall of China to record 5 or 6 clues might not be the most economical use of resources. But I hope, at least when travel is safe, that they find a way to continue doing on-site clues, like at museums and historic sites. I think they inject some visual interest and give the host a breather, and stimulate intellectual curiosity. Just maybe not branded as Clue Crew. Perhaps they could recruit people associated with the site to do one-offs.
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

I wasn't a fan at first but they did grow on me. The local news people reading answers is a cheap and easy substitute. They have the equipment and people who are comfortable on camera to do it.

I don't know about having museum employees doing it. You still have to fly a camera crew there and even a tour guide might not translate well on camera.

I thought it odd the article didn't mention the two former CC members by name. Why did they leave? Their choice or a Sony bean counter decision?
Robert K S
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by Robert K S »

Bamaman wrote: Mon Aug 22, 2022 8:44 am I thought it odd the article didn't mention the two former CC members by name. Why did they leave? Their choice or a Sony bean counter decision?
Four!

Sofia Lidskog (now Dickens) (2001-2004), Cheryl Farrell (2001-2008), Jon Canon (2005-2009), and Kelly Miyahara (2005-2019).

The initial lineup was Jimmy-Sarah-Sofia-Cheryl. After Sofia's departure, they held open casting for a replacement, and ended up hiring two new members, Jon and Kelly.

I have no inside information, but from what I recall,
Sofia, I recall, left by choice to pursue other opportunities. I think at first in broadcasting. Then she founded a company called EQtainment which, at this point, may be defunct (its website is dead).
Don't really remember seeing anything solid about Cheryl--it's possible she simply retired. It appears she's in communications. Here's a remembrance article she wrote at the time of Alex's passing.
I don't recall whether Jon left or was let go but in either case I believe he returned to teaching.
Kelly's contract wasn't renewed; I think she would have preferred to stay, but was at peace with the producers' decision, and has remained in the biz.

All of the Clue Crew member exits were made without fanfare or official notice of any kind.

I think they've been winding down the Clue Crew as a low-ROI experiment for many years now.
clprez

Post by clprez »

Kelly was also on Sports Jeopardy!