DCist visits the Power Players set, dubs Alex "weird"

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

zakharov
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

DCist visits the Power Players set, dubs Alex "weird"

Post by zakharov »

Washington, DC local blog DCist visited the Jeopardy Power Players set and had some interesting things to say.

http://dcist.com/2012/05/getting_weird_ ... k_as_j.php
Despite his deep closet, Trebek is not vain like Zimmerman, the pushy publicist. He can still crack wise after, or maybe because of, nearly three decades of hosting Jeopardy! Between rounds, Trebek steps out from his desk and approaches the edge of the stage to take questions from the audience. There are a lot of questions about Will Ferrell and Sean Connery. Trebek has nothing but kind words for Saturday Night Live’s “Celebrity Jeopardy!” sketches, and repeatedly points out that he showed up in Ferrell’s final episode as a regular SNL cast member.
Things can get weird on Jeopardy!. When he first walks to the podium, Oz writes his name as “Mehmet.” That’s what his parents called him, after all. But a few minutes later and the podium reads “Dr. Oz.” Did someone whisper in his ear that he’d be better off with his stage name?
:?

More tidbits at the link - some I'm sure are familiar to everyone here, but still a good read.
4-time pool swimmer - last audition June 2019
Follow me on Twitter @JakeMHS
pinkfreud
Jeopardy! Contestant

Re: DCist visits the Power Players set, dubs Alex "weird"

Post by pinkfreud »

To me, "deep closet" means "gay." I hope it means something different to the DCist.
Spaceman Spiff
One-and-done J! Champ (and proud of it!)

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

zakharov wrote:Things can get weird on Jeopardy!. When he first walks to the podium, Oz writes his name as “Mehmet.” That’s what his parents called him, after all. But a few minutes later and the podium reads “Dr. Oz.” Did someone whisper in his ear that he’d be better off with his stage name?
More likely someone remembered that the primary reason he was there was because Sony produces his show (as well as Jeopardy!), and figured the corporate powers that be might prefer that he go by "Dr. Oz."
koam
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by koam »

dubs Alex weird?

quotes don't say that.
Rex Kramer
Jeopardy! TOCer

Nevertheless, he probably thinks this post is about him

Post by Rex Kramer »

pinkfreud wrote:To me, "deep closet" means "gay." I hope it means something different to the DCist.
I think it means "possessing an extensive wardrobe". This makes particular sense in the context of the sentence, which goes on to say that despite his deep closet, Alex is not vain. I don't imagine The DCist meant to imply that "Alex is gay, but amazingly he's still not vain!"

Rex
koam
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by koam »

He means that Trebek is a snappy dresser.
pinkfreud
Jeopardy! Contestant

Re: Nevertheless, he probably thinks this post is about him

Post by pinkfreud »

Rex Kramer wrote:
pinkfreud wrote:To me, "deep closet" means "gay." I hope it means something different to the DCist.
I think it means "possessing an extensive wardrobe". This makes particular sense in the context of the sentence, which goes on to say that despite his deep closet, Alex is not vain. I don't imagine The DCist meant to imply that "Alex is gay, but amazingly he's still not vain!"

Rex
Thanks for the more sensible interpretation. I guess I've spent too much time with the Urban Dictionary.
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

I'd be a snappy dresser to if Sony hired someone to pick 0ut my wardrobe every day.
alietr
Site Admin

Post by alietr »

Bamaman wrote:I'd be a snappy dresser to if Sony hired someone to pick 0ut my wardrobe every day.
I'm not sure even that would help me.