About This Board

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

RCraig
Jeopardy! TOCer

Re: About This Board

Post by RCraig »

BigDaddyJ wrote:
boson wrote:I haven't seen it said explicitly here, so I'll remind everyone for the record: The Sony website that previously hosted the Jeopardy forums was hacked and your usernames and passwords to that board are now floating around on the internet.
I'm not sure if this is completely true. I went to the LulzSec website and downloaded everything they had to offer from the Sony Pictures website. My purpose in doing so was to ascertain whether my own login credentials had been compromised. I was unable to find my username among those released. Perhaps the information stolen was related to another feature of the Sony website other than the message board?

That said, I would still agree with your advice. It's probably safest to assume the information has been compromised and proceed accordingly.
Yes, it appears that J! forums on sonypictures itself was not released. Instead it was some of their European forums and one other I can't remember now. Having said that, has anyone received an email from sony saying what happened? It would have been nice to receive notification or some information as to what happened. But barring congressional legislation most businesses will keep data security as a very low priority...
John Boy
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by John Boy »

Profound thanks for the replacement board. I've missed this a lot. To the one(s) who went to all this trouble, there's a special place in heaven for you.

:)
Paucle
Trekardy! Writer

Post by Paucle »

Holy crap, should we spray or something?

ETA: we can say crap!
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

Test......Dick Van Dyke.
Last edited by Bamaman on Fri Jul 15, 2011 9:52 am, edited 2 times in total.
Paucle
Trekardy! Writer

Post by Paucle »

dhkendall wrote:Can I suggest maybe separate forums, one for "Game Discussions" as you have now (where daily show recaps and the like will go), one for "Games" like TDs and the SHC, one for "Other" like RRTD and the like, and maybe another one that I can't think of ...
Bringing this topic back up, as the clutter begins to accumulate- why don't we poll on it? dh's topics seem all we need, and think how nice it would be to open the "Episodes and Spoilers" forum and see nothing but game dates top to bottom!

Curious: is it possible to do both? Dave's 4th (or 5th, or 6th) could be a uni-forum that, when opened, looks exactly like you see now, for those who prefer it that way.
alietr
Site Admin

Post by alietr »

I have the censorbot off, but I think there is a setting you can enable for yourself if you don't wish to see any expletives that may have been subject to deletion previously.
--Pete
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by --Pete »

Hi,

This thread seems the best for requests and suggestions. Two things that I'd like, if they can be implemented easily:

In the quote box, a link back to the post being quoted.

The ability to multi-quote (i.e., to select multiple posts to reply to).

Thanks,

--Pete
"We are looking over our new domicile,
If we like, we stay for maybe quite a while."
boson
Trivial

Post by boson »

BigDaddyJ wrote:
boson wrote:I haven't seen it said explicitly here, so I'll remind everyone for the record: The Sony website that previously hosted the Jeopardy forums was hacked and your usernames and passwords to that board are now floating around on the internet.
I'm not sure if this is completely true. I went to the LulzSec website and downloaded everything they had to offer from the Sony Pictures website. My purpose in doing so was to ascertain whether my own login credentials had been compromised. I was unable to find my username among those released. Perhaps the information stolen was related to another feature of the Sony website other than the message board?

That said, I would still agree with your advice. It's probably safest to assume the information has been compromised and proceed accordingly.
Thanks BigDaddyJ - I didn't actually check that the passwords were available. It is good to know that our accounts weren't completely compromised... but I'm still treating it as if it was, as you suggest.

[New board accepts nested quotes - cool!]
alamble

Post by alamble »

--Pete wrote:Hi,

This thread seems the best for requests and suggestions. Two things that I'd like, if they can be implemented easily:

In the quote box, a link back to the post being quoted.

The ability to multi-quote (i.e., to select multiple posts to reply to).

Thanks,

--Pete
You already can multi-quote. Simply hit the "quote" button for every post you wish to quote, just like on the Sony board. You just have to scroll down below the reply box to find the most recent posts. And, unfortunately, you can only go back to the previous ten posts, so it's not perfect, but it is possible.
--Pete
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by --Pete »

Hi,
alamble wrote: You already can multi-quote.
I do it by copying the reply text to Notepad, then hitting the back button on the browser. It would be nice to just check a button on each post without having to break the flow of reading the thread.

--Pete
"We are looking over our new domicile,
If we like, we stay for maybe quite a while."
jepkid97
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by jepkid97 »

When did the old one suddenly disappear?
mam418
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by mam418 »

jepkid97 wrote:When did the old one suddenly disappear?
It was gone by June 3rd (though I think it had been there earlier that week.) I remember that I was consciously staying out of the Thursday June 2nd thread, as to not give away that Jericho had also won on Friday. (Though I was dying to say "I met him at my taping!") So I don't think I even looked at the boards on the 2nd. But it was definitely gone by the evening of the 3rd.
jepkid97
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by jepkid97 »

mam418 wrote:
jepkid97 wrote:When did the old one suddenly disappear?
It was gone by June 3rd (though I think it had been there earlier that week.) I remember that I was consciously staying out of the Thursday June 2nd thread, as to not give away that Jericho had also won on Friday. (Though I was dying to say "I met him at my taping!") So I don't think I even looked at the boards on the 2nd. But it was definitely gone by the evening of the 3rd.
That's right when Sony Pictures was hacked by LulzSec. There might be someone to blame here.
BigDaddyJ

Post by BigDaddyJ »

jepkid97 wrote:That's right when Sony Pictures was hacked by LulzSec. There might be someone to blame here.
Yes, Sony has said as much in a June 8 notice regarding the June 2 hack. Their notice also assures us that they "are working to restore as soon as possible any website features that have been disabled." Right.
Volante
Harbinger of the Doomed Lemur

Post by Volante »

BigDaddyJ wrote:
jepkid97 wrote:That's right when Sony Pictures was hacked by LulzSec. There might be someone to blame here.
Yes, Sony has said as much in a June 8 notice regarding the June 2 hack. Their notice also assures us that they "are working to restore as soon as possible any website features that have been disabled." Right.
Yeah...been a month and a half now. The real embarrassing part is that forum is it's own little area....unless, of course, they jimmyrigged into it with their own ad-hoc ODBC calls and...well, maybe it's a good thing we've moved on :D
The best thing that Neil Armstrong ever did, was to let us all imagine we were him.
Latest movies (1-10): Everything Everywhere All at Once (10), Ruby Gillman: Teenage Kraken (6), Black Sunday /1960/ (6), Marcel the Shell with Shoes On (7)
dhkendall
Pursuing the Dream

Post by dhkendall »

Volante wrote:
BigDaddyJ wrote:
Yeah...been a month and a half now. The real embarrassing part is that forum is it's own little area....unless, of course, they jimmyrigged into it with their own ad-hoc ODBC calls and...well, maybe it's a good thing we've moved on :D
Well, admittedly the website isn't a high priority for them )and really, why should it be, if you look at it objectively).

I know the admins of this board have hinted that once Sony comes back up they'll decide whether to keep this open or we move back to our original home. (I'm thinking that no matter what, things are probably going to wind up getting duplicated if both sites stay open).

BTW, wanted to use this opportunity to again give credit to the admins and the community for getting back to normal in such a short time! Most of the regulars found this place quite easily, in no small part to Robert KS's tireless work on J! Archive, where it was announced.
"Jeopardy! is two parts luck and one part luck" - Me

"The way to win on Jeopardy is to be a rabidly curious, information-omnivorous person your entire life." - Ken Jennings

Follow my progress game by game since 2012
alietr
Site Admin

Post by alietr »

dhkendall wrote:I know the admins of this board have hinted that once Sony comes back up they'll decide whether to keep this open or we move back to our original home. (I'm thinking that no matter what, things are probably going to wind up getting duplicated if both sites stay open).

BTW, wanted to use this opportunity to again give credit to the admins and the community for getting back to normal in such a short time! Most of the regulars found this place quite easily, in no small part to Robert KS's tireless work on J! Archive, where it was announced.
Well, technically there's just one admin and two moderators. I'd certainly like this board to continue on if Sony's comes back, but I have a feeling it is likely to fade away quickly under those circumstances (which, however, are seeming less and less likely).
Vanya
The support is non-zero

Post by Vanya »

Where's the TOC standings?
cheezguyty

Here you go...

Post by cheezguyty »

Vanya wrote:Where's the TOC standings?
http://www.jboard.tv/jboard/phpBB3/view ... p?f=1&t=14
Last edited by cheezguyty on Sun Jul 31, 2011 7:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
alietr
Site Admin

Post by alietr »

I have finally licked the email problems that were preventing self-registration. The upside has been that there have been no spammers while I had to authorize every user. The downside was that I had to notice somebody wanted to join and get around to authorizing them, which doesn't work so well when I'm not around. This also means the email functions on here should work as well (like password recovery). Now I just have to figure out why newly-registered members are still able to post new topics (they shouldn't be able to). That is all.