About This Board

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

agefen
Site Admin

About This Board

Post by agefen »

This board is intended to be a replacement for the official Jeopardy! board. It may be temporary, depending on when/if the regular board returns.

As the disclaimer has already said,this board is created by fans, for fans. The Jeopardy! game show and all elements thereof, including but not limited to copyright and trademark thereto, are the property of Jeopardy Productions, Inc. and are protected under law. This website is not affiliated with, sponsored by, or operated by Jeopardy Productions, Inc. and has nothing whatsoever to do with them. But we do encourage you to watch their fine show. If you think they got something wrong, feel free to write to them, but hopefully you've figured out that we can't do anything about it. If you've found your way here and don't know about it, we also encourage you to visit j-archive.com, which is an amazingly valuable resource.

You are expected to behave here. At the sole discretion of Management, you may be warned about bad behavior. If the behavior continues, or is egregious enough, you will be banned. The e-conversations can be expected to be freewheeling and I'm a pretty tolerant guy, but harassment (for one thing) definitely will not be tolerated.

Your first three posts must be approved by our fearless and determined moderators. Until you have had three posts approved, thus proving (or at least giving an indication) that you are not trying to sell us the latest illegally-obtained drug or are engaged in other malfeasance, you will not be able create a new topic or send or receive PM's.

If you would like to have a "Rank", i.e., the description that is under your user name when you post (e.g., "Jeopardy Contestant") please find and post in the thread called "The Rankest Thread Imaginable" or just drop me a line through a PM or email (you can't PM until after you've made three posts that have been accepted).

Also, please consider this board to be in beta. We will iron out the kinks as we go. Since it's my own money, I've done everything on the cheap (if I had actually won my game, it might have been a different story). If it takes off and people feel like contributing, maybe we can move to a faster server and upgrade to better software. Even the free software has a lot of features, so feel free to poke around and explore. I hope the regular posters at the official board are able to find and join us, as well as the current contestants and viewers.

Please let me know of any problems or questions you may have, enjoy and behave yourself, and welcome aboard!
dhkendall
Pursuing the Dream

Re: About This Board

Post by dhkendall »

Can I suggest maybe separate forums, one for "Game Discussions" as you have now (where daily show recaps and the like will go), one for "Games" like TDs and the SHC, one for "Other" like RRTD and the like, and maybe another one that I can't think of ...
"Jeopardy! is two parts luck and one part luck" - Me

"The way to win on Jeopardy is to be a rabidly curious, information-omnivorous person your entire life." - Ken Jennings

Follow my progress game by game since 2012
AndyTheQuizzer
Lots and Lots of Interviews

Post by AndyTheQuizzer »

I agree with this; we have the technology, we might as well use it to our advantage!
Andy Saunders
J! Archive Founding Archivist
Publisher - The Jeopardy! Fan
dhkendall
Pursuing the Dream

Post by dhkendall »

Oh, and is there a way to include spoilers in text like the old
Spoiler
tag?

"The way to win on Jeopardy is to be a rabidly curious, information-omnivorous person your entire life." - Ken Jennings

alamble
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by alamble »

I would respectfully second the request for separate subfora if it's not too much trouble. Also, can we have a thread for Auditions discussion?

As for spoilers, there's probably a Custom BBCode that agefen can activate; in the meantime, the easiest workaround is to change the text color to match the background of the cell you're posting in. Will probably take a few tries to get it right, however. It's tricksy like that.

Also, if you need moderating help, I'd be happy to pitch in.
Last edited by alamble on Fri Jul 01, 2011 9:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Andromus

Post by Andromus »

I'll second having some sort of "Off Topic" forum; it's something I would have liked to have seen on the Sony boards.
dhkendall
Pursuing the Dream

Post by dhkendall »

alamble wrote:As for spoilers, there's probably a Custom BBCode that agefen can activate; in the meantime, the easiest workaround is to change the text color to match the background of the cell you're posting in. Will probably take a few tries to get it right, however. It's tricksy like that.
Made doubly so by the fact that it looks like odd numbered posts have a slightly darker blue than even numbered posts.

Paucle
Trekardy! Writer

Post by Paucle »

Let's give it a test run... this text is hidden using color=#BFFFFF. Seem effective enough?
alietr
Site Admin

Post by alietr »

Spoiler tags have now been implemented.

As for multiple fora, my only concern is that it might make it more difficult for people to find all of the most recent posts (should they so desire), but that might be an unfounded concern. More input is gladly accepted. Again, this whole thing is a work in progress.

And you people do know you can upload your avatars, correct?
KellyJ!
Contributor

Post by KellyJ! »

Thanks for the replacement board! If you don't remember a user by KellyJ! on the Sony board, it's because I was K703 over there and thought I'd change my username with joining the new board. I do have all the data for my biggest contribution to the J! community, the wildcard cutoffs, backed up (on two different drives at that). If it looks like this board will be here to stay by when the next first-run WC tourney airs or if someone requests it, I'll re-post it on here.
dhkendall
Pursuing the Dream

Post by dhkendall »

Paucle wrote:Let's give it a test run... this text is hidden using color=#BFFFFF. Seem effective enough?
Actually, according to my Mac's indispensable tool that will pick up the colour code from any colour on the web and tell you what it is, odd posts are #e1ebf2 and even ones are #ece3f7 #ECF3F7. Since this looks like it will be an odd-numbered post, let's try the following spoiler:

The cake is a lie

Hey, it works!

(And, interestingly, my spell checker didn't red-underline Paucle's "color" tag, but it did mine (and my typing it here just now). I mean I told it that I'm a Canadian and use Canadian English, but how on earth did it know Paucle isn't?

alamble

Post by alamble »

The font color is no longer an issue
Spoiler
because the spoiler tag button now works properly.
Yay!
trainman
Moderator Extraordinaire

Post by trainman »

alietr wrote:As for multiple fora, my only concern is that it might make it more difficult for people to find all of the most recent posts (should they so desire), but that might be an unfounded concern.
That's what the "View New Posts" link on the main page is for (or the pink indicators to show that there are new posts within a certain forum).

My vote would be for a "J! Discussion" forum, a "Games" forum (home to TD, SHC, etc.), and an "Off-Topic" forum (home to Re-re-re-retaken Down, Pet Intellectual Peeves, etc.). Maybe a separate "About This Board" forum, too, for questions/comments/posts that are about the board itself, such as this thread.
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

I'd prefer keeping it all in one forum so we don't have to keep moving back and forth between forums. We never had problems with the board being too cluttered at the old place.
Paucle
Trekardy! Writer

Post by Paucle »

But the Spoilter tag is misspelled! FIX IT!
alietr
Site Admin

Post by alietr »

Many thanks to Carol Anne for urging me to put the Board together and for the flashy new graphic!
dhkendall
Pursuing the Dream

Post by dhkendall »

Bamaman wrote:I'd prefer keeping it all in one forum so we don't have to keep moving back and forth between forums. We never had problems with the board being too cluttered at the old place.
If that's the case then maybe the forum could be renamed from "Game Discussion", as there are a lot of threads not about game discussion, hence my original idea.

So, either create other fora for non "game discussions" topics, or rename the "game discussions" forum.

Should I create a poll to see what other's thoughts are?

MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

Is there a setting to get an e-mail notice when there is a private message? I was spoiled by that feature on the old board and have been slow to notice a number next to messages in the small print here.
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

MarkBarrett wrote:Is there a setting to get an e-mail notice when there is a private message? I was spoiled by that feature on the old board and have been slow to notice a number next to messages in the small print here.
If you click on User Control Panel and then click on Board Preferences, down in the middle, there's two radio buttons for PM's. Not sure if it sends an email, but you can have a pop-up box when you log in.
BigDaddyJ

Post by BigDaddyJ »

Many thanks to those who set up this board. I was starting to lose hope that the old board at Sony Pictures will be made available anytime soon, and I've really missed reading and engaging in the daily J! banter.

For what it's worth, I'd vote for the multiple fora arrangement, as I did find the old board to be a bit cluttered at times, but I can live with either structure. Maybe even have a separate forum for "First-Time Posters Incensed By (Perceived) Grevious Jeopardy Errors". :)