Wednesday, May 23, 2012 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

Vanya
The support is non-zero

Re: Wednesday, May 23, 2012 Game Recap & Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by Vanya »

econgator wrote:So, what made everyone go to Tasmania? Apparently, I'm one of the few clueless ones on this one.
I would have gotten it without the island hint, as I'd heard that little factoid. Still, the ferocity of the Tasmanian Devil is legendary, cartoon fame or not.
John Boy
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by John Boy »

alietr wrote:Komodo dragon ... no, not a mammal. Kodiak bear ... hmm, could be, but pound-for-pound sounds like something small ... keep going ... Tasmanian devil. Any other islands? Long Island iced tea ... no, not a mammal. Yeah, must be Taz.
I had not considered "Kodiak bear," although that fits the "mammal" and "island" parts of the clue and is certainly a plausible superlative biter.

Actually, my first thought was the Manhattan divorce attorney, but I figured they weren't that cutesy.

Ran through a lot of big biters: tiger, lion, shark, Komodo dragon...dismissed them all for missing one or another part of the parts of the clue, and did indeed manage to arrive at Tasmania.

I got to see only the DJ & FJ parts of this game. Was also surprised to see anyone venture "ulna" for the leg or "Komodo dragon" for a mammal. More study, people....

Congrats to the champ. Maybe he can use part of the $69K to buy an "is."
Volante
Harbinger of the Doomed Lemur

Post by Volante »

John Boy wrote: I got to see only the DJ & FJ parts of this game. Was also surprised to see anyone venture "ulna" for the leg or "Komodo dragon" for a mammal. More study, people....
If you overlooked the 'mammal' part, it was a good guess! *slinks off into a corner*
Congrats to the champ. Maybe he can use part of the $69K to buy an "is."
That or it's going to be a running gag...
The best thing that Neil Armstrong ever did, was to let us all imagine we were him.
Latest movies (1-10): Everything Everywhere All at Once (10), Ruby Gillman: Teenage Kraken (6), Black Sunday /1960/ (6), Marcel the Shell with Shoes On (7)
Rex Kramer
Jeopardy! TOCer

Post by Rex Kramer »

TenPoundHammer wrote:
Volante wrote:Tennis with the net down.
Any way I'd have known that wasn't volleyball, soccer, hockey, or any of the 50 other sports that use nets?
Just the usual . . . you know, reading, awareness, retention . . .

It's like asking "Why did the chicken cross the road? Any way I'd have known that wasn't street, boulevard, avenue . . . ?"

Rex
Vanya
The support is non-zero

Post by Vanya »

John Boy wrote: Congrats to the champ. Maybe he can use part of the $69K to buy an "is."
He could sell it to Bill Clinton.
fowlerism
Swimming in the Jeopardy! Pool

Post by fowlerism »

Here's the original paper:
http://rspb.royalsocietypublishing.org/ ... l.pdf+html

They calculate "pound for pound" by computing the Bite Force Quotient (BFQ). This is roughly defined as bite force divided by mass, but they actually did something a little more complex.

The Tasmanian devil had a BFQ of 181. The second highest BFQ among extant animals in their study was the tiger quoll (Dasyurus maculatus), another carnivorous marsupial. It scored 179. Not sure if that's a statistically significant difference.

The Kodiak bear (subspecies of Ursus arctos, which is what is listed in the paper) scored 78. This was my answer.

Some others:
African wild dog 142
American black bear 64
Eurasian wolf 136
Tiger 127
Wildcat (Felis silvestris) 58
Priscileo roskellyae (an extinct type of marsupial lion) 196

Incidentally, the strongest overall bite they list is the lion (Panthera leo) with a bite force of 1768 newtons. The Tasmanian devil was 418.
Last edited by fowlerism on Thu May 24, 2012 4:07 pm, edited 2 times in total.
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

Vanya wrote:
John Boy wrote: Congrats to the champ. Maybe he can use part of the $69K to buy an "is."
You two just won the thread.
Vanya
The support is non-zero

Post by Vanya »

I wonder if this woman is thinking about BFQ.
Paucle
Trekardy! Writer

Post by Paucle »

Vanya wrote:
Was wondering what was taking you so long. I was starting to think my watch was slow.
iowabelle
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by iowabelle »

All that came to my mind was "Madagascar lemur"... but I do know a lizard isn't a mammal. :D
HugoZ
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by HugoZ »

iowabelle wrote:All that came to my mind was "Madagascar lemur"... but I do know a lizard isn't a mammal. :D
Aye-aye to that!
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

iowabelle wrote:All that came to my mind was "Madagascar lemur"...
Approves
Miss Mellie
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by Miss Mellie »

Vanya wrote:I wonder if this woman is thinking about BFQ.
Darwin Award Nominee.
Paucle
Trekardy! Writer

Post by Paucle »

Polar bears don't bite off fingers! They do super-cute things around Christmas time. And drink Coke.
Vanya
The support is non-zero

Post by Vanya »

Miss Mellie wrote:
Darwin Award Nominee.
Don't you have to die to win that?

Makes you wonder which species is closer to extinction.
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

Vanya wrote:
Miss Mellie wrote:
Darwin Award Nominee.
Don't you have to die to win that?
No, you just have to take yourself out of the gene pool. Some winners only destroyed their ability to reproduce. There are also "survivors" who did something really stupid but lived to tell the tale without dying or rendering themselves unable to procreate.
andreaborn
Jeopardy! Contestant

Post by andreaborn »

jeff6286 wrote:I'd be interesting in hearing if anyone could even come up with another possible answer that actually fit all parts of the clue.
I had guinea pig -- although having eaten them in Peru, I suspected they weren't from the New Guinea area. I first went to Komodo dragon, was pleased to come up with something that fit, but would've swapped for Taz in a heartbeat if it had come to me. I think I could have had it with another 30 seconds.
TenPoundHammer wrote:Island + carnivore = Tasmanian Devil. Piece of cake. Animal categories usually treat me well.
Strong bite = carnivore is the sort of "making the right connection" you say is hard for you, TPH -- nice job.
MarkBarrett wrote:For those that knew the Hamptons I wonder how the percentages would break down for getting it from Revenge, Royal Pains or the Long Island not Manhattan geography?
For me, it was entirely "upscale beach resort" on Long Island.
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

andreaborn wrote:
TenPoundHammer wrote:Island + carnivore = Tasmanian Devil. Piece of cake. Animal categories usually treat me well.
Strong bite = carnivore is the sort of "making the right connection" you say is hard for you, TPH -- nice job.
I scrolled by a few posts with my glasses off so that I wouldn't see any spoilers before asking for a copy of the episode. Even with my near-blindness, I could make out "Aus" in one post, and I wonder if that was enough to point me in the right direction.

I am surprised, though, at how many of you glossed over "mammal". I thought I was the only one who regularly skipped over key words in a clue.
bpmod
Rank

Post by bpmod »

TenPoundHammer wrote:I am surprised, though, at how many of you glossed over "mammal". I thought I was the only one who regularly skipped over key words in a clue.
Maybe you're the only one who regularly skips over key words, but everybody does it once in a while.

I can't count the number of times I have blurted out an answer while watching, followed immediately by "Duh! Read the ****ing clue."

The trick is to, by practice and attentiveness, make those moments fewer and farther between.

Brian
...but the senator, while insisting he was not intoxicated, could not explain his nudity.

If I had 50 cents for every math question I got right, I'd have $6.30 by now.
andreaborn
Jeopardy! Contestant

Post by andreaborn »

TenPoundHammer wrote:I am surprised, though, at how many of you glossed over "mammal". I thought I was the only one who regularly skipped over key words in a clue.
I think that's because the category was animals, with the main clue phrase "this animal named for an island" -- it didn't get to mammal until the comparative "of any mammal." I had Komodo dragon, read the clue again to make sure it fit, and first thought "yes, it's good" before "acck, no it's not."