Monday, June 11, 2012 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

lisa0012
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Re: Monday, June 11, 2012 Game Recap & Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by lisa0012 »

Paucle wrote:
Bamaman wrote:I think the third player was doomed when he missed out on the clue about his home town.
Yeah, where was Alex's pithy remark about that?
I had nothing for FJ so answered the only significant "event" I could think of that might take place in a room, the Last Supper.
Yup.
Miss Mellie
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by Miss Mellie »

CAPS LOCK wrote:
Woppy T wrote:how the heck did nobody on the writing team catch this before taping? If you are going to cite a specific Bible verse, you might want to crack open a Bible and read it. As for an "event" in Acts 1:13, there isn't one. The election of Judas' successor takes place a few verses later - I'd call that an event. But Pentecost seems to be what they were going for, and 1:13 sets the stage for that.
Yeah, exactly what I thought. Taping was stopped for 15-20 minutes while producers discussed the issue.
Aaron, did you question their judgement or did they figure it out on their own?
davey

Post by davey »

TenPoundHammer wrote:
Bamaman wrote:So was Last Supper wrong? It didn't matter since it was a lock in a two player game, but Alex really wasn't clear.
This I want to know too.
"Last Supper" was clearly the response they wanted since that's how they initially ruled, but the reason it was a disastrous clue is that The Last Supper is not mentioned in Acts 1:13. Nor is Pentecost. The "upper room" may be where both happened; but Acts 1:13 is chronologically somewhere between those two events. Since Pentecost occurs within the book of Acts, to someone with a good grasp of the Bible it's a better guess to a false clue...

My response was The Last Supper since I associate the phrase "the upper room" with it, but I was very puzzled by why the quote was from Acts...
Volante
Harbinger of the Doomed Lemur

Post by Volante »

Austin Powers wrote:I thought the champ had some nice gets, garotte in particular. Wouldn't expect anyone to get Sutton Hoo, though there maybe were a couple of surprise TSs.
Had Sutton Hoo on the tip of my tongue, I knew I'd recognize it when they gave the answer...

Three pages in and no one's transcribed the clue verbatim? If I'd've known I wouldn't have deleted it off my DVR (and I don't like playing it off disc until I finalize it. Personal paranoia.)

Anyway, here's my input...which is someone else's input as I'm simply pasting Wikipedia:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pentecost# ... _Pentecost

I think, but I'm not 100% certain (as I'm lacking the exact phrasing), that Last Supper works even though it happened earlier than Acts, because the way the clue was written were simply asking for what had once happened in that room. They weren't asking what happened in Acts 1:13, but what happened in the place described in Acts 1:13.
(Whether or not it's the same exact room as Pentecost is probably up for interpretation, but some do hold that interpretation, so thbpppt.)

Either way, my answer was still wrong: Immaculate conception. (If you can't be right...)
The best thing that Neil Armstrong ever did, was to let us all imagine we were him.
Latest movies (1-10): WIthnail & I (7), An Autumn Afternoon (7), Europa Europa (7), Tampopo (9)
Zee2
Contributor

Post by Zee2 »

In the KJV it is called the "upper room" and the reason they went up there, as told in Acts, was that someone -and I just read it but have already forgotten who-, told them that that was were they should await Jesus. It is the same room as the Last Supper. I automatically turned it off while Alex started saying that they had done something..... and by the time I turned it back on it was over, except I could see the new totals.

Even if the yacht explosion had not been a hoax, why couldn't they run that in the news before Jeopardy, that and many other such interruptions? They were doing a feature on an ancient historic (or not) happening in Alcatraz at 6:50, long after the yacht news came to them. It's live news and they could have brought it up then.

Thank you for explaining and listening.
bpmod
Rank

Post by bpmod »

OK. I immediately said "The Last Supper" upon seeing "upper room", but was deciding how it should be worded, as it was actually Jesus' passover meal with his apostles. Then, at about second 29, I noticed Acts 1:13 and shouted, it can't be the Last Supper, it must be the descent of the Holy Spirit upon the apostles (which happened at Pentecost -- Pentecost was not an event, it was a day (each year)).

I'm counting it as a get.

Brian
...but the senator, while insisting he was not intoxicated, could not explain his nudity.

If I had 50 cents for every math question I got right, I'd have $6.30 by now.
chuck5982
Jeopardy! Fan

Post by chuck5982 »

Wagers

Elaine: $6,600 + $6,500 = $13,100
Aaron: $21,300 + $6,001 = $27,301; 2-day champ with $56,101
davey

Post by davey »

Volante wrote:
I think, but I'm not 100% certain (as I'm lacking the exact phrasing), that Last Supper works even though it happened earlier than Acts, because the way the clue was written were simply asking for what had once happened in that room. They weren't asking what happened in Acts 1:13, but what happened in the place described in Acts 1:13.
The clue: Acts 1:13 says this event occurred in "an upper room"

Acts 1:13: And when they were come in, they went up into an upper room, where abode both Peter, and James, and John, and Andrew, Philip, and Thomas, Bartholomew, and Matthew, James the son of Alphaeus, and Simon Zelotes, and Judas the brother of James.
DBear
Denier of Pop Culture

Post by DBear »

Interesting that this happens while GSN is plugging something called "The American Bible Challenge" to death.
Also remembered a clue about something called the Experience Music Project, or EMP. If you ask me what EMP stands for, I will say electromagnetic pulse everytime.
Three Gorges Dam is yet another easy pickup for any Civ player.
Last edited by DBear on Tue Jun 12, 2012 12:35 am, edited 1 time in total.
bpmod
Rank

Post by bpmod »

Volante wrote:Either way, my answer was still wrong: Immaculate conception. (If you can't be right...)
Wow! That is quite the joke answer, considering it's not only not mentioned, but not even alluded to (except in very abstract terms), in the Bible.

Brian
...but the senator, while insisting he was not intoxicated, could not explain his nudity.

Volante

Post by Volante »

davey wrote:
Volante wrote:

Acts 1:13: And when they were come in, they went up into an upper room, where abode both Peter, and James, and John, and Andrew, Philip, and Thomas, Bartholomew, and Matthew, James the son of Alphaeus, and Simon Zelotes, and Judas the brother of James.
I think I'm right in my interpretation of the clue then. It's just asking for what happened 'in that room as described in Acts 1:13.' Not what explicitly happened in that verse. (The assumption, of course, is it's the same room. My vote is we assume that's the assumption the writers made.)

I also think they tried being too cute with the brevity of the clue. A few more words wouldn't have killed them! (Not that it would have helped ME out in anyway...)
The best thing that Neil Armstrong ever did, was to let us all imagine we were him.
Latest movies (1-10): WIthnail & I (7), An Autumn Afternoon (7), Europa Europa (7), Tampopo (9)
Volante

Post by Volante »

bpmod wrote:
Volante wrote:Either way, my answer was still wrong: Immaculate conception. (If you can't be right...)
Wow! That is quite the joke answer, considering it's not only not mentioned, but not even alluded to (except in very abstract terms), in the Bible.

Brian
*bows*
xxaaaxx

Post by xxaaaxx »

Volante wrote: I think I'm right in my interpretation of the clue then. It's just asking for what happened 'in that room as described in Acts 1:13.' Not what explicitly happened in that verse. (The assumption, of course, is it's the same room. My vote is we assume that's the assumption the writers made.)

I also think they tried being too cute with the brevity of the clue. A few more words wouldn't have killed them!
To me, the clue is basically saying "an event is decribed in Acts 1:13, name it" with the 'upper room' as a TOM.

Agreed on the rest.
davey

Post by davey »

Volante wrote:
davey wrote:
Volante wrote:

I think I'm right in my interpretation of the clue then. It's just asking for what happened 'in that room as described in Acts 1:13.' Not what explicitly happened in that verse. (The assumption, of course, is it's the same room. My vote is we assume that's the assumption the writers made.)

I also think they tried being too cute with the brevity of the clue. A few more words wouldn't have killed them! (Not that it would have helped ME out in anyway...)
The clue says that Acts 1:13 places an event in "an upper room." There is no event in Acts 1:13...So no response is correct. (OK, maybe "What is going up into it?"...) The writers evidently mixed up a quote from the Gospels like Luke 22:12 with this quote from Acts.
jeff6286

Post by jeff6286 »

Volante wrote: I think I'm right in my interpretation of the clue then. It's just asking for what happened 'in that room as described in Acts 1:13.' Not what explicitly happened in that verse. (The assumption, of course, is it's the same room. My vote is we assume that's the assumption the writers made.)
Don't even mention the Assumption, as that is a different event entirely, not even mentioned in the bible as far as I know. :D

My response was "What is the appearance of Jesus to the Apostles?". I knew it wasn't what they were going for, simply due to the clumsy wording, but it was the best I could do to describe what I was thinking of. I was intending to refer to the events that lead to the Doubting Thomas story, which as it turns out is described in John chapter 20. No reference in that book is made to the location of these events, but the Wikipedia page on the Cenacle lists the following events that are considered to have taken place in that room:
the Last Supper
the Washing of the Feet
some resurrection appearances of Jesus
the gathering of the disciples after the Ascension of Jesus
the election of Saint Matthias as apostle
the descent of the Holy Spirit upon the disciples on the day of Pentecost
My response seems to fit with "some resurrection appearances of Jesus", so I think I will count it as correct, as should anyone else who mentioned any of the other events quoted here. It has been mentioned that Pentecost is not technically an event, but the date on which those events occurred, but since Aaron was ruled correct, anyone else with that response, or some reasonable facsimile thereof, I feel should also be ruled correct.

Sorry I didn't get the clue posted on page 1, which may have helped clear up some confusion early on in the thread. I work nights and sleep during the day, and Mondays tend to be a day that I don't always feel like getting out of bed by 7 PM. Today was one of those cases.

If anyone really wants to see a train wreck, check out the Sony board's reaction to this FJ. Is it as bad as you are picturing? Oh no, it may very well be worse. God bless you seaborgium for taking it upon yourself to wade into that quagmire in each and every thread.
jeff6286

Post by jeff6286 »

Man, if we play Guesstimania Final Jeopardy again next week, we may just have to skip Monday's FJ clue entirely, since it was such a mess. Alex's explanation seemed to imply that the show's feelings were that the clue was so poorly constructed, there were either no correct answers, or many different correct answers. So how the heck is everyone voting in the poll supposed to determine if their own personal response should be counted as correct? Maybe we'll have to have a separate poll where everyone gives their responses and the whole board votes as to which responses should be correct and which shouldn't? Or maybe just tell everyone to count it as correct since it was a bad clue. Any other thoughts?

(I was going to post this in the Guesstimania thread, but figured it would be better here so as not to spoil anyone who hasn't seen Monday's game yet.)
Last edited by jeff6286 on Tue Jun 12, 2012 11:28 am, edited 1 time in total.
seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns

Post by seaborgium »

jeff6286 wrote:If anyone really wants to see a train wreck, check out the Sony board's reaction to this FJ. Is it as bad as you are picturing? Oh no, it may very well be worse. God bless you seaborgium for taking it upon yourself to wade into that quagmire in each and every thread.
It was such a quagmire that I screwed up, misremembering the clue. I deleted my posts where I was in error and no one had responded to me yet, and apologized where I couldn't cover my tracks.

I just don't understand how people can take the trouble to register for a forum, but not notice from the thread titles that other people have already posted about the same issue.
bpmod
Rank

Post by bpmod »

seaborgium wrote:I just don't understand how people can take the trouble to register for a forum, but not notice from the thread titles that other people have already posted about the same issue.
I thought it was 'cause all the smart people came over here.

And why did all the smart people come over here? you may ask.

That's gotta be because they don't allow Canadians over there anymore. :mrgreen:

Brian

gloriaclemente
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by gloriaclemente »

vellore wrote: your resemblance to Nicholas Cage

I was kinda seeing more of an Entourage thing going on, Ari Gold/Jeremy Piven. Especially when you showed up Wednesday morning with the shades on and the garment bag slung over your shoulder.

Anyway, congratulations on the win, and the extra $12k! See you tomorrow!
dhkendall
Pursuing the Dream

Post by dhkendall »

seaborgium wrote:I just don't understand how people can take the trouble to register for a forum, but not notice from the thread titles that other people have already posted about the same issue.
You either have not been on the Internet for long ;), or (like me) you usually hang out in places where people have brains and know their netiquette. The Internet is famous for stuff like that, which is why I don't travel far out there (and when I do travel out into the stupid, I rarely stay more than a few seconds, I have no need for such places. Unless we all packed up and moved back to Sony (and they, of course, allowed Canadians to register there), I'm definitely not going back, as Sony is now just like every other message board (save the very few I frequent) that I see.)
Bamaman wrote:I think the third player was doomed when he missed out on the clue about his home town.
I think Alex had forgotten he was a Sleepy Hollowan (he can't remember *everything* when his anecdote cards aren't right in front of him, you know!) It stuck in my mind because, for the longest time (ie until way more recently than I'd like to admit) I did not know there was a real Sleepy Hollow (and just fond out now, from a visit to Wikipedia, that Washington Irving's work doesn't seem to be about the real place.)
Paucle wrote:I had nothing for FJ so answered the only significant "event" I could think of that might take place in a room, the Last Supper.
When I saw FJ, the only thing that popped in my head was a song I learned in Sunday School in the 70s (and has a very 70s folk song sound to it): "On the day of Pentecost / A rushing, mighty wind / Blew into the upper room / And baptized all of them." My remark seems to be a get, but yeah, I guess those who said "Last Supper" (although I hold it to be wrong merely because it wasn't my answer) get a "get" too. Would love to see how the FJ poll will work ...

Enjoyed seeing the rare Cecil Adams ref on today's show, as I've long been a fan (and the other message board I frequent is somewhat tied by common fandom of his works (although it's more just general smarties, Cecil isn't referenced that much.) Missed that clue, though, as I must have missed Cecil's treatment of Irving Berlin.
"Jeopardy! is two parts luck and one part luck" - Me

"The way to win on Jeopardy is to be a rabidly curious, information-omnivorous person your entire life." - Ken Jennings

Follow my progress game by game since 2012