Monday, June 11, 2012 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

Magna
Hooked on Jeopardy

Re: Monday, June 11, 2012 Game Recap & Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by Magna »

Austin Powers wrote:I, for one, turned off the TV as soon as "Last Supper" was ruled correct, and didn't even know there was an issue until about 15 posts in.
Basically, Alex said they messed the question up but that fortunately it didn't affect game play, and that they were crediting Aaron's response also, which increased his winnings. Btw, this fact isn't in the J! archives. The archives only give the pre-correction result, and have Aaron losing $6,001 on the last clue - but winning the game. After the correction, he gained that amount instead of losing it, and of course still won.

As far as I know, they never explained what they thought they were asking, or what they were trying to ask. Unless someone has an inside track, all we know is that the question was wrong.
Sherm
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by Sherm »

bpmod wrote:
Sherm wrote:I did not have a clue as to the answer on Monday, only that I knew it was not the last supper, because Jesus is no longer living when account of Acts takes place. People who got the correct answer of "Last Supper" did so, because they don't have a thorough knowledge of bible history.
I'm more than a little confused. Are you saying that you knew that bible verse cold and that there was no event mentioned that could have been the intended response? Then why did you rule out only the Last Supper? Or are you just using that as an example? But, if you have a thorough knowledge of bible history, which seems to be what you are saying, then why would you use the argument "because Jesus is no longer living"? Acts was after Jesus' resurrection and before Paul's Epistles. So Jesus was definitely living during that time period. And, as I mentioned a few posts upthread, it is possible quite common in the bible to make reference to events past (including the Last Supper).

Brian
I won't say I know the bible inside and out, but it is a strength. I'm a bit of a history freak, Biblical or otherwise. Maybe I shouldn't have said "because Jesus is no longer living", but he is no longer on earth. Acts 1 has Jesus ascending to heaven, starting at verse one. I knew enough to know that except for a couple verses that start Acts Jesus has left the building, so to speak. The question would have had to say "had occured" (past tense) for it to be the last supper, I ruled out last supper very quickly. Jesus ascended his followers are together, "what happened?", because what happened has to be the answer. As it turns out the event was a meeting of disciples/followers, nothing too important.

Upon reading it. The right answer is "What is the addition of a new disciple?"

If they were after last supper, I don't understand why the writers just didn't use other references to the upper room from the gospels. I assumed "upper room" was negbait to try and get the "last supper" as an answer. I was looking at things like the "introduction of the holy spirit" as an answer. I couldn't find anything that fit. Pentacost, was a really good answer for the question.
alietr
Site Admin

Post by alietr »

Magna wrote:
alietr wrote:
Magna wrote:If you go into a bookstore and buy a book called The Bible, whatever it is you buy will have all the information in it, no matter what translation or version it is. It may have the Apocrypha in it or not, or the books might have different names. But it will be basically the same for J!'s purposes.
Well, if I walk into a bookstore and buy a book called The Bible, it wouldn't have a lot of the questions Jeopardy asks, and certainly wouldn't have covered this FJ.
I don't understand this post. Are you saying a lot of questions J! asks about the Bible can't be answered by looking at a Bible? Maybe the history of Biblical translation or something, but other than that, what have they asked? (Other than this one question, which they have acknowledged they completely messed up.)
I guess you didn't get what I was alluding to. I'm Jewish. If I buy a Bible, it ends a lot earlier than versions used by other religions, and therefore wouldn't have covered this and many other Jeopardy questions.
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

Magna wrote:Btw, this fact isn't in the J! archives. The archives only give the pre-correction result, and have Aaron losing $6,001 on the last clue - but winning the game. After the correction, he gained that amount instead of losing it, and of course still won.

As far as I know, they never explained what they thought they were asking, or what they were trying to ask. Unless someone has an inside track, all we know is that the question was wrong.
The archive has Aaron credited with a correct response and Pentecost as acceptable now. Still, I think some kind of notation about what happened is needed. I'll send a note to the archive team.
Austin Powers

Post by Austin Powers »

You know what must be especially embarrassing for the writers?

http://j-archive.com/showgame.php?game_id=3834

They've already managed to ask one question about Acts Chapter One this year, about essentially the same event, as a Final Jeopardy, and they got it right that time.

I have no idea what the hell they were thinking.
Magna
Hooked on Jeopardy

Post by Magna »

Sherm wrote:Upon reading it. The right answer is "What is the addition of a new disciple?"
That doesn't happen until later in Acts 1 (actually it's a new apostle, since both candidates were already disciples :)). Acts 1:13 just talks about them meeting in an upper room.
Magna
Hooked on Jeopardy

Post by Magna »

alietr wrote:I guess you didn't get what I was alluding to. I'm Jewish. If I buy a Bible, it ends a lot earlier than versions used by other religions, and therefore wouldn't have covered this and many other Jeopardy questions.
Maybe I should have specified "If you walk into a Barnes & Noble" or something similar. I suppose you could argue it's ambiguous what "Bible" refers to, but on J! it always means both Hebrew and Christian scriptures.
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

MarkBarrett wrote:The archive has Aaron credited with a correct response and Pentecost as acceptable now. Still, I think some kind of notation about what happened is needed. I'll send a note to the archive team.
Odd. I know for a fact that I added it to the comments section.
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

econgator wrote:
MarkBarrett wrote:The archive has Aaron credited with a correct response and Pentecost as acceptable now. Still, I think some kind of notation about what happened is needed. I'll send a note to the archive team.
I checked the inner workings of the archive and found Alex's added part in the prefinal section. That does not show up in the box for FJ?
bpmod
Rank

Post by bpmod »

MarkBarrett wrote:I checked the inner workings of the archive and found Alex's added part in the prefinal section. That does not show up in the box for FJ?
Inner workings?

Brian
...but the senator, while insisting he was not intoxicated, could not explain his nudity.

If I had 50 cents for every math question I got right, I'd have $6.30 by now.
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

bpmod wrote:
MarkBarrett wrote:I checked the inner workings of the archive and found Alex's added part in the prefinal section. That does not show up in the box for FJ?
Inner workings?

Brian
The input screen that regular users of the archive don't see is what I meant. Not any kind of code stuff, just my regular archivist access.
Magna
Hooked on Jeopardy

Post by Magna »

MarkBarrett wrote:
econgator wrote:
I checked the inner workings of the archive and found Alex's added part in the prefinal section. That does not show up in the box for FJ?
It's there now.
alamble

Post by alamble »

Magna wrote:
Austin Powers wrote:I, for one, turned off the TV as soon as "Last Supper" was ruled correct, and didn't even know there was an issue until about 15 posts in.
Basically, Alex said they messed the question up but that fortunately it didn't affect game play, and that they were crediting Aaron's response also, which increased his winnings. Btw, this fact isn't in the J! archives. The archives only give the pre-correction result, and have Aaron losing $6,001 on the last clue - but winning the game. After the correction, he gained that amount instead of losing it, and of course still won.

I think it's fair to assume that the intended correct response was the Last Supper, but the way in which the writers got there was all sorts of jacked up.
brick

Re: Monday, June 11, 2012 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by brick »

Please pardon the necro-bump. I opened my TimeHop app today to find a record of my astonishment at such a strange turn of events in Final J on this date. It made me so happy to know that I have now found a place where I knew, absolutely knew this would have been discussed in depth. Thanks!