Monday, June 11, 2012 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

Austin Powers
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Re: Monday, June 11, 2012 Game Recap & Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by Austin Powers »

Woppy T wrote:how the heck did nobody on the writing team catch this before taping? If you are going to cite a specific Bible verse, you might want to crack open a Bible and read it. As for an "event" in Acts 1:13, there isn't one. The election of Judas' successor takes place a few verses later - I'd call that an event. But Pentecost seems to be what they were going for, and 1:13 sets the stage for that.

It would have been more interesting if Aaron didn't have a runaway.
Yep, and I had been so nice to the writers lately. But the FJ from last week about African countries was just asking for trouble, so maybe they have outsourced their FJ writing.
alamble

Post by alamble »

zakharov wrote:
CAPS LOCK wrote:
vellore wrote:Details PLEASE from someone who was in studio about what in the world happened in FJ.
I'm not sure what I should say, especially as I won't see how it airs for 3 hours. What did it look like on air?
They showed it like normal, then an edited-in clip of Alex saying that they messed up but it didn't affect the outcome of the game. The response from Aaron that they showed was "Pentecost."

Not really looking forward to another day of Aaron's clenched-teeth delivery.
You are apparently unaware of the fact that Aaron=Caps Lock, then.
CAPS LOCK
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by CAPS LOCK »

Woppy T wrote:how the heck did nobody on the writing team catch this before taping? If you are going to cite a specific Bible verse, you might want to crack open a Bible and read it. As for an "event" in Acts 1:13, there isn't one. The election of Judas' successor takes place a few verses later - I'd call that an event. But Pentecost seems to be what they were going for, and 1:13 sets the stage for that.
Yeah, exactly what I thought. Taping was stopped for 15-20 minutes while producers discussed the issue.

If they had simply cited Mark or Luke, there would be no question and Pentecost would be wrong. The verse they put in the clue (and where Acts occurs chronologically) makes the Last Supper exceedingly unlikely, and Pentecost at least possibly if not definitely the "event" referred to. Which is why they essentially decided to credit both as correct. But it sure was confusing and had to be awkwardly fixed.

Your wonderful contestant coordinators in the green room often mention "We love it when you stump the writers and come up with an answer they didn't expect!". I don't think I've seen that happen in FJ before - Yet my job offer to join the writing staff has yet to arrive. :D
-----Live by the signaling device, die by the signaling device.-----
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

So was Last Supper wrong? It didn't matter since it was a lock in a two player game, but Alex really wasn't clear.

I had the Ascension for FJ. I think the third player was doomed when he missed out on the clue about his home town. It was also kind of weird when Alex made fun of people suffering from that disease with his Boris Karloff comment.
trainman
Moderator Extraordinaire

Post by trainman »

I watched this episode from a motel room in Oneonta, New York, where the local (Binghamton) station is still carrying J! in SD. So I'm glad to see it wasn't my unusual surroundings that caused me to be baffled by this Final Jeopardy!.
Austin Powers

Post by Austin Powers »

CAPS LOCK wrote:
Yeah, exactly what I thought. Taping was stopped for 15-20 minutes while producers discussed the issue.

If they had simply cited Mark or Luke, there would be no question and Pentecost would be wrong. The verse they put in the clue (and where Acts occurs chronologically) makes the Last Supper exceedingly unlikely, and Pentecost at least possibly if not definitely the "event" referred to. Which is why they essentially decided to credit both as correct. But it sure was confusing and had to be awkwardly fixed.

Your wonderful contestant coordinators in the green room often mention "We love it when you stump the writers and come up with an answer they didn't expect!". I don't think I've seen that happen in FJ before - Yet my job offer to join the writing staff has yet to arrive. :D
My guess is they thought mentioning one of the Gospels would have given it away, as what's the famous thing Jesus and the disciples did in a room (shut up, Terence McNally)?
CAPS LOCK
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by CAPS LOCK »

alamble wrote:
zakharov wrote:
Nothing wrong with an honest reaction. I wish I had thought to smile more than once per episode, but each time I give an answer, I'm concentrating on pronunciation, speaking clearly, and making sure I say the words that are in my mind, rather than my tongue going too fast and saying something dumb like "magical levitation" instead of "magnetic levitation".

Here's some teeth for ya: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
-----Live by the signaling device, die by the signaling device.-----
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

Bamaman wrote:So was Last Supper wrong? It didn't matter since it was a lock in a two player game, but Alex really wasn't clear.
This I want to know too.
Austin Powers

Post by Austin Powers »

vellore wrote: He credits Nicholas Cage with an extra $12,000. Then the splice ends and we're back to regular send-off. Wierd.
Tom Sizemore ITYM. Except the champ is not a washed up Hollywood actor who claims to have priapism, has a sex tape and uses a fake penis to pass drug tests.

OR SO WE THINK
vellore
Jeopardy! Winner....of $1

Post by vellore »

Thanks CAPS LOCK for the enlightenment and the exegesis. Didn't know your ID when I posted (but then, I only alluded to your resemblance to Nicholas Cage, which you can take as a compliment). Lots of quality gets--my fave was Sargasso Sea.
zakharov

Post by zakharov »

CAPS LOCK wrote:
alamble wrote:
zakharov wrote:
Nothing wrong with an honest reaction. I wish I had thought to smile more than once per episode, but each time I give an answer, I'm concentrating on pronunciation, speaking clearly, and making sure I say the words that are in my mind, rather than my tongue going too fast and saying something dumb like "magical levitation" instead of "magnetic levitation".

Here's some teeth for ya: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
Sorry man, nothing personal. I am in awe of your buzzer skills after today's game.
4-time pool swimmer - last audition June 2019
Follow me on Twitter @JakeMHS
xxaaaxx

Post by xxaaaxx »

TenPoundHammer wrote:
Bamaman wrote:So was Last Supper wrong? It didn't matter since it was a lock in a two player game, but Alex really wasn't clear.
This I want to know too.
I'd say it's right because they said it's right on the show, the clue was a bit vague, and because I'm not eating another Monday FJ neg :twisted:
Austin Powers wrote:
vellore wrote: He credits Nicholas Cage with an extra $12,000. Then the splice ends and we're back to regular send-off. Wierd.
Tom Sizemore ITYM. Except the champ is not a washed up Hollywood actor who claims to have priapism, has a sex tape and uses a fake penis to pass drug tests.

OR SO WE THINK
alietr
Site Admin

Post by alietr »

Sigh. I wish people would pay more attention to my request that they be more judicious in their criticisms of the contestants.

And congrats of the second win, Aaron. Well done again. I'm glad the Monday jinx didn't get to you. Although it would have been nice to have a klezmer champ if you did have to fall ...
Paucle
Trekardy! Writer

Post by Paucle »

Bamaman wrote:I think the third player was doomed when he missed out on the clue about his home town.
Yeah, where was Alex's pithy remark about that?
I had nothing for FJ so answered the only significant "event" I could think of that might take place in a room, the Last Supper.
Woppy T

Post by Woppy T »

CAPS LOCK wrote:

Alex's explanation was baffling - did they ever tell you after the show what they were in fact going for? If it hadn't been a runaway and they couldn't accept both answers, what would they have done?
thenextofken

Post by thenextofken »

My wife said Pentecost and I said Last Supper, despite thinking it didn't sound right. When she pointed out that the Last Supper was prior to Acts, I said it's probably because the author (Luke) was taking a look back rather than recounting events as they happened.

I should've been suspicious when it seemed as though the clue didn't meet the usual Jeopardy standards. It came across more as trivia than something you tease out.
Leah
Occasional Phantom Presence

Post by Leah »

For the record, the only thing I noticed about Aaron's delivery was that he had unusually good diction, which I admired.
oneofthose
Just Starting Out on JBoard

Post by oneofthose »

Hey, congrats Aaron! (this is Sarah from last week) That has got to be the weirdest FJ ever.
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

Ah, so that's what happened? When I saw a higher than normal post count early I wondered what caused the extra reaction. I couldn't believe there were that many outraged Celtics fans around. When Elaine's "Last Supper" was correct my next thought was, "Did Aaron miss and do something crazy with his wager?"

Pentecost? Aaron: Was that a guess based on limited Bible knowledge or too much since Acts was referenced?

I'll ante up with another remind-alike for Aaron with Phil Gordon:

To any future players with a nice lock going, but a DD still on the board: HUNT THAT SUCKER! Elaine still had a chance to win the game until Dylan called the $2000 clue to find it.

For the FJ clue Last Supper was on my page probably before Alex got a word out. During think time I wondered about something Judas, something Thomas or something about Jesus returning to his disciples.

Alex's post FJ edit spot may not have done enough to ward off the letters. The show messed up, but at least Aaron gets a nice payday.
seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns

Post by seaborgium »

I would have said Pentecost, but it didn't sound enough like an event to me, so I came up with the first Pentecost-y event that I could, which was the tongues of fire descending on the apostles. Given Pentecost was ultimately accepted, I guess my answer can be as well.