Monday, July 2, 2012 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

Archivists
Fan-created archive of games and players

Monday, July 2, 2012 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by Archivists »

Placeholder for J! Round
Archivists
Fan-created archive of games and players

Double Jeopardy! Round

Post by Archivists »

Placeholder for DJ! Round
JFanForever
Loyal Jeopardista

Re: Monday, July 2, 2012 Game Recap & Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by JFanForever »

I'm 1/1 for FJ In July. Finally I got one for the first time in weeks. I got 7 right in the first round (6 right before the first break) and 5 right in DJ, giving me a score of 12.

For the George Harrison Clue, why would they make reference to a Paul song? That makes no sense and it threw me off.
thenextofken
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by thenextofken »

JFanForever wrote:
For the George Harrison Clue, why would they make reference to a Paul song? That makes no sense and it threw me off.

Because George sang lead on "Something."
jeff6286

Post by jeff6286 »

Famous Relatives
In 2011 his daughter Svetlana, living in the U.S. under the name Lana Peters, died in Wisconsin at age 85.
Spoiler
Who is Joseph Stalin?
Matt Samberg: $12,300+$10,901=$23,201...now a 2-day champion with $44,601
Taylor Norwood: $11,600+$11,590=$23,190
Misha Bushyager: $9,000+$9,000=$18,000
Last edited by jeff6286 on Mon Jul 02, 2012 7:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
zakharov

Post by zakharov »

Well I did horribly on the boards but instagot FJ. This never happens. "Medical Talk" is the worst category possible for me.
4-time pool swimmer - last audition June 2019
Follow me on Twitter @JakeMHS
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

Okay, what obvious TOM was I missing in Hungarian for $200? Nothing seemed to point to Houdini over any other magician.

The Nosebleed clue in Medical Talk also seemed rather opaque.

VA went way over my head.

Treaty of Amiens is really something I should know at $400?! Whatever.

I said lion's foot tub instead of clawfoot. That gets some results on Google, so I'm counting it.

I should've run that guitarist category, but had five brain farts in a row.

There were lots of other clues that I would've gotten on any other day, but just couldn't spit them out or momentarily blanked — roe, uterus, keno, Fodor, Washington, La-Z-Boy to name a few. This is, once again, why we don't try playing along with J! while tired.

Completely lost on FJ! Once again I set myself up for the mega-super-ultra-difficult and get something piss-easy.
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

What pointed to Stalin (over, say, Lenin, Trotsky, Tolstoy, etc.)?

I went with Lenin.
TenPoundHammer wrote:Okay, what obvious TOM was I missing in Hungarian for $200? Nothing seemed to point to Houdini over any other magician.
Erich Weiss = Harry Houdini is Trivia 101.
zakharov

Post by zakharov »

econgator wrote:What pointed to Stalin (over, say, Lenin, Trotsky, Tolstoy, etc.)?

I went with Lenin.
It was front-page news when she died.
4-time pool swimmer - last audition June 2019
Follow me on Twitter @JakeMHS
Austin Powers

Post by Austin Powers »

So I am not sure but I think I had about $11 million in Lach Trash in the J round. On one hand, "The Hunger Artist" isn't the best known Kafka work, but who is famous for being surreal? Ditto "Arms and the Man," which may be better known, though "Shavian" may not be. So I am thinking to myself, these guys are a little tense, maybe they're holding back some. Then there was the National Park one, which was also pretty painful. Okay, so these are not their categories other than the guitarist. (Seriously, it seemed like about ten questions went unanswered, and yet we saw every question).

On one hand I think the returning champ did well to pick up some clues where time was running out - "thumb" jumps out in the particular, and I know he had a couple of others. I think his first DD bet was fine though I suspect he knew the category really well and should have bet more. He seems strong in history as indicated by the Teller response. Those pickups before time ran out were basically why he won.

But then there's the second DD - strange. Actually kinda unfair of Alex to pressure him - they should be able to edit that out in post production. Just let the guy make the right bet; it's more entertaining that way. But not really optimal, I think. It would have given him the lock, granted, but I just didn't get the sense it was a strong category for him. I suppose he had little to risk, though, as he didn't have either opponent locked out anyway. IIRC the second place was about 6000 behind, so he was losing a 2/3 type situation. But again third was lurking. Okay, I've talked myself into saying it was just an all around tricky betting situation with no good approach that won't be armchair QBd.

The guy at the end - just two big brain farts at the end. First he doesn't DD hunt at all, which actually sorta worked out for him since I suspect he would have missed that wordy clue that was trying to get to what city Dickens was born in. Then he hands the DD over to the champ by saying "Oliver Twist," which it's not going to be, unless category titles are going to be answers, and they aren't. I am not sure what he was doing, but hey it's not my money.

I precalled the "rile" reversal.

FJ struck me as either know it or don't, but I am curious if someone pieced it out without actually knowing the story.
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

zakharov wrote:
econgator wrote:What pointed to Stalin (over, say, Lenin, Trotsky, Tolstoy, etc.)?

I went with Lenin.
Not here it wasn't. *shrug*
Austin Powers wrote:Ditto "Arms and the Man," which may be better known, though "Shavian" may not be.
Yeah, I just said "Shawlike". Any reason why that couldn't be counted?
Austin Powers

Post by Austin Powers »

Tolstoy was pretty old to be having a kid die last year. Also given some of his views of sex I doubt he was having much of it late in life.

And Lenin - the question basically stated the person was born in 1925 or 26 right? So no Lenin, either.
Last edited by Austin Powers on Mon Jul 02, 2012 7:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Austin Powers

Post by Austin Powers »

econgator wrote:
zakharov wrote:

I went with Lenin.
Not here it wasn't. *shrug*
Austin Powers wrote:Ditto "Arms and the Man," which may be better known, though "Shavian" may not be.
Yeah, I just said "Shawlike". Any reason why that couldn't be counted?
Yeah because it specified the letter length.
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

Austin Powers wrote:Yeah because it specified the letter length.
Good point. Should've tried "Shawish".... ;)
Austin Powers

Post by Austin Powers »

zakharov wrote:Well I did horribly on the boards but instagot FJ. This never happens. "Medical Talk" is the worst category possible for me.
They were all glorified vocabulary. In fact I don't really see why "pollux" is any tougher than "epistaxis." We were "borborygmus" and "singultus" away from touching all the Greatest Hits.
Last edited by Austin Powers on Mon Jul 02, 2012 7:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

econgator wrote:
TenPoundHammer wrote:Okay, what obvious TOM was I missing in Hungarian for $200? Nothing seemed to point to Houdini over any other magician.
Erich Weiss = Harry Houdini is Trivia 101.
New to me.

I honestly have no idea how to do FJ! anymore. No matter how many times I reread most clues, they just will not come to me, no matter how simple the answer is.
Austin Powers

Post by Austin Powers »

thenextofken wrote:
JFanForever wrote:

Because George sang lead on "Something."
And he wrote it. And he was the better guitarist anyway.
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

The following concerns last Tuesday's show.
Spoiler
The final DD was the same city (namewise) as the TR treaty?
From last Friday's show.
Spoiler
Today's FJ was a WWII ally and post WWII enemy of Friday's FJ?
The "running out of time" bit was silly since it was the last clue. He could have gotten a lock without risking his lead with a slightly bigger bet. I think Alex got him in a rush and he got confused.

I knew his daughter defected and the age worked out so I went with Uncle Joe.
legendneverdies

Post by legendneverdies »

Austin Powers wrote:
But then there's the second DD - strange. Actually kinda unfair of Alex to pressure him - they should be able to edit that out in post production. Just let the guy make the right bet; it's more entertaining that way. But not really optimal, I think. It would have given him the lock, granted,
IIRC he had $17600 when the second DD was found, he bet $5300, and it would have been $11600-$22900 were he right, and not been a lock. He needed a $5601 wager for a lock game.
Austin Powers

Post by Austin Powers »

legendneverdies wrote:
Austin Powers wrote:
But then there's the second DD - strange. Actually kinda unfair of Alex to pressure him - they should be able to edit that out in post production. Just let the guy make the right bet; it's more entertaining that way. But not really optimal, I think. It would have given him the lock, granted,
IIRC he had $17600 when the second DD was found, he bet $5300, and it would have been $11600-$22900 were he right, and not been a lock. He needed a $5601 wager for a lock game.
Ah, so that really does suck. Back off, Trebek, and let the guy bet.