Tuesday, July 3, 2012 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

Archivists
Fan-created archive of games and players

Tuesday, July 3, 2012 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by Archivists »

Placeholder for J! Round
Archivists
Fan-created archive of games and players

Double Jeopardy! Round

Post by Archivists »

Placeholder for DJ! Round
jeff6286
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Re: Tuesday, July 3, 2012 Game Recap & Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by jeff6286 »

1950s Movies
"The Man on Lincoln's Nose" was a working title for this 1959 film.
Spoiler
What is North by Northwest?

Matt Samberg: $12,100+$4,701=$16,801...now a 3-day champion with $61,402
Leo Velazquez: $8,400+$7,401=$15,801
Leslie Page: $8,100+$8,000=$16,100
Last edited by jeff6286 on Tue Jul 03, 2012 7:57 pm, edited 2 times in total.
JFanForever
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by JFanForever »

17 right today with 8 in the first round and 9 in DJ. I should've had 11 in DJ.

I should've went with Alexander the Great but for some reason I went with Darius instead even though I thought of Alexander.

Then I said inside trading instead of insider.

For FJ, I had nothing. The only film from 1959 I could think of was Ben-Hur, which I knew was wrong but it's all I could think of.
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

I've never seen the movie but I'm aware of the Rushmore scene so it was an instaget.

I ran it back several times and I'm pretty sure she said W.C. Field.

I guess the guy in the middle felt sorry for the reversal on I sing, so he let her have second place and the extra thousand dollars.

A player said sheriff instead of greenskeeper. Was that a tip of the hat to Andy Griffith?
MDCSWildcats86

Post by MDCSWildcats86 »

JFanForever wrote:17 right today with 8 in the first round and 9 in DJ. I should've had 11 in DJ.

I should've went with Alexander the Great but for some reason I went with Darius instead even though I thought of Alexander.

For FJ, I had nothing. The only film from 1959 I could think of was Ben-Hur, which I knew was wrong but it's all I could think of.
Stunned that DOI was a TS.

Nailed FJ, and I can even tell you where AH is, too (he misses a bus just after [before?] his opening credit)
Glassysquid
Jeopardy 2010-B College Champion

Post by Glassysquid »

Been a while since I've been on the board, but I just wanted to pop over and say I'm excited for tonight's game. Leo was our alternate for the college championship, so I'm really looking forward to watching my friend kick ass. Itll be the first time I've watched in forever, haha. Go Leo!!
Proud member of ESPRIT DE CORPS, otherwise known as the 16 fine individuals who participated in the 2010-B College Championship, and the outstanding ToC Class of 2011.
Fish/squid enthusiast and Ph. D student at the University of Rhode Island.
legendneverdies

Post by legendneverdies »

Will there be a clue about Andy Griffith?
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

C-rats came around in 1938, which is why those were wrong, but that also makes it a horrible clue.

FJ was insta-get.
Austin Powers

Post by Austin Powers »

J round felt a little lacking. No really great gets, but nice grab by the champ to pick GW Bush over Jeb Bush. I could see someone slipping up there.

I'm not sure what the point of the country category was. It felt like Teen Week. Brazil for $600? Other than that any tough question - like AWACS - went unanswered. The only $1000 answered was the pretty straightforward Dale Carnegie one IIRC.

Then the DJ round was really unusual. The champ had a run for a brief moment there at the start but he essentially disappeared from that point forward. Again his nicest get was in history on the Frank Pierce one.

He still had the lead, though, since the opponents each had a $2000 neg (plus some others), the one lady forgot to phrase in the form of the question and he got the rebound, and neither bet as aggressively as they could on the DDs they got. The lady in particular left $1500 on the table by not going all in on the $800 DD she got.

I also thought this round had a couple of pretty easy categories - Birds in particular seemed to be too easy, and the Senators one basically gave Tokyo away at $2000 I thought by mentioning it was an Olympics in Asia. So all in all an easier night I thought. Only category I really liked was the drunk people.

So, going into FJ I knew the bets would be weird and sure enough they were! The middle guy so nicely came back, only to make it moot by not covering third. That $1000 you saved on your bet you get to take home with you!

I know there's at least been one FJ to reference N by NW before. I expect a pretty high get rate on this one, over 85% I would think.

I'd be curious if anyone deciphered the driver seat $2000 question in Transportation, as that seems like an unusually wordy answer for then.
Austin Powers

Post by Austin Powers »

MDCSWildcats86 wrote:
JFanForever wrote:17 right today with 8 in the first round and 9 in DJ. I should've had 11 in DJ.

Stunned that DOI was a TS.
More stunned that no one took a flier on it - it's just $400 for crying out loud, ring in!
zakharov

Post by zakharov »

2 instagets in 2 days - I expect tomorrow's category to involve Etruscans to make up for this.
4-time pool swimmer - last audition June 2019
Follow me on Twitter @JakeMHS
DWS
Jeopardy! Fan

Post by DWS »

I agree with the earlier comment that the game was a bit unusual, with the champ seemingly nonexistent at times and the challengers having ups and downs.

Even though I've seen North by Northwest, I was a bit confused by the working title and didn't make the connection. My WAG was -- feel free to laugh -- Pinocchio.
Frank Hardy

Post by Frank Hardy »

With three wins & $61,402, Matt moves into ninth place in the 2011-13 ToC standings.
jeff6286

Post by jeff6286 »

I figured that Leo felt silly for leaving that $400 off of his Daily Double bet, so he decided to wager in FJ as if he had made that a true DD and his score was $400 higher. If that was the case, he made the perfect cover bet. In actuality, yikes! Even though it only ended up being a $1,000 mistake, and not the $15,000 mistake it would have been had Matt missed FJ, this seems like a good time to bring up one of seaborgium's frequently mentioned betting rules.

If you know you're bad at math, and afraid that you're going to make a wagering error and fail to cover 2nd and/or 3rd, here's a simple tip, especially for cases like Leo's where he had a slim lead over 3rd. Double the difference between the two players. Here, Leo had $8400 to $8100 for Leslie. Twice $300 is $600, so $600 is what you should leave behind on your wager. $8400-$600 is $7800. So bet $7800. Or, if you want to cover by a dollar, bet an extra dollar and wager $7801. If you're concerned that you're going to screw up and add a dollar when you should subtract, or vice versa, then just forget the extra dollar. Bet to match your trailer's maximum, rather than beat it. It doesn't cost you anything. Worst case is the player you've tied gets to come back to play with you again tomrrow, and so what? You're a Jeopardy! champion! Who cares who you're playing tomorrow? The important part is, you're playing tomorrow! So if you lead by $500, bet all but $1000. If you lead by $1200, bet all but $2400. If you lead by $3,500, bet all but $7,000.

seaborgium has been mentioning this line of mathematical thinking a lot lately, and this game seemed like a perfect example of one where it may have helped prevent a player from making a potentially critical error.
alamble

Post by alamble »

Bamaman wrote: A player said sheriff instead of greenskeeper. Was that a tip of the hat to Andy Griffith?
I'm pretty sure he was confusing "sheriff" for "marshal". Which is still wrong, because course marshals are there to enforce the pace of play and make sure groupings are behaving themselves on the course.
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

Was it just me, or did the other two players have a bad habit of forgetting that a right answer means you pick the next clue? I swear, you could drive a truck through some of the pauses Leslie took, in particular. No wonder we left eight freakin' clues on the board.

Anyone wanna explain Transport for $2000 to me? That just seemed nine kinds of awkward with "Driver on the left" as the correct response. Sloppy writing is sloppy.

Had a lot of brain farts: peewee, Saturday Night Fever, McCarthy, insider trading, Bad instead of Thriller, Grand Slam for inside-the-park. (Funny how I can forget the category two seconds after it's said…)

Also wasn't sure on K vs. C rations, and clammed on greenskeeper since I wasn't sure if it had an S in the middle.

Ran Angry Birds.

Not even a guess on FJ!
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

TenPoundHammer wrote:Anyone wanna explain Transport for $2000 to me? That just seemed nine kinds of awkward with "Driver on the left" as the correct response. Sloppy writing is sloppy.
Yeah, that could have been better-worded, too.

The US has been a right-hand drive (RHD) country since the late 1700's. However, early cars had the steering wheel on the right-hand side, too. This meant that the driver would be closest to the shoulder (or what would now be the shoulder) instead of the centerline. With the Model T, Ford introduced a LHD car, which put the driver nearest the centerline.
jeff6286

Post by jeff6286 »

TenPoundHammer wrote: Also wasn't sure on K vs. C rations, and clammed on greenskeeper since I wasn't sure if it had an S in the middle.
I think they should have taken greenkeeper or greenskeeper. I didn't have much luck finding greenkeeper in online dictionaries, but google search did lead me to BIGGA, which is the British and International Golf Greenkeepers Association. So perhaps greenskeeper is the American term while greenkeeper is used by the British. Since the game was invented over there, I would think their term would have to be deemed acceptable. If it wasn't on Alex's card, it may have been overturned later, presuming of course that he even heard the lack of middle "s" in the first place in order to neg it. Of course, if you clammed wavering between "s" or no "s", I guess it wouldn't matter if they would have accepted both.

Speaking of overturned, when Leslie forgot her phrasing in DJ, Alex ruled her correct, then changed his mind. Is that not a case where other players shouldn't be allowed to rebound, since he had already said that her response was correct, albeit without the proper phrasing. I may be conflating a couple different rules, like the one that says once Alex has ruled on your response (calling it incorrect), you can no longer clarify or otherwise alter your response.

Another question: If I responded with "I get by with a little help from my friends", would I definitely be ruled incorrect, or is there some precedent for J! showing some leeway when dealing with lengthy song titles. Adding extra words before or after the title, presuming that they are lyrics in the song, seems like something they might give players a little wiggle room on.
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

jeff6286 wrote:Another question: If I responded with "I get by with a little help from my friends", would I definitely be ruled incorrect, or is there some precedent for J! showing some leeway when dealing with lengthy song titles. Adding extra words before or after the title, presuming that they are lyrics in the song, seems like something they might give players a little wiggle room on.
I think that so long as they are the correct lyrics, they allow the extra bit.