Thursday, July 12, 2012 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

bpmod
Rank

Re: Thursday, July 12, 2012 Game Recap & Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by bpmod »

alietr wrote:I'm guessing it's going to be on YouTube soon enough.
Actually, I'll post it right here.

Edit: Does anybody know how to embed the video in the post? All of this technology confuses me.

Edit again: Thank to TPH, here you go

Brian
...but the senator, while insisting he was not intoxicated, could not explain his nudity.

If I had 50 cents for every math question I got right, I'd have $6.30 by now.
MDCSWildcats86
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by MDCSWildcats86 »

xxaaaxx wrote:Speaking of clues, am I losing it, or did one of those Thai clues mention mouse droppings?

NO, you heard correct.

Memo from the J board:

Thanks a lot for not picking me in ELECTION YEAR BEFORE & AFTER:

Sincerely,

Michele Bachman Turner Overdrive
zakharov

Post by zakharov »

MDCSWildcats86 wrote:
xxaaaxx wrote:Speaking of clues, am I losing it, or did one of those Thai clues mention mouse droppings?

NO, you heard correct.

Memo from the J board:

Sincerely,

Hmm wasn't there one unrevealed clue in the category?
4-time pool swimmer - last audition June 2019
Follow me on Twitter @JakeMHS
davey

Post by davey »

bpmod wrote:
davey wrote:It sounded like Laura said Palomina to me...She was pretty great - it's not every day we get a contestant with crack comic timing. She should have come up with Tina Fay faster!
Oh. I thought I heard Palomino, but I could have been mistaken.

But on the other hand, I'm pretty sure I heard 'Tina Fey'.

Brian
So I can't spell either...This may be the week I loose all my skills....
MDCSWildcats86

Post by MDCSWildcats86 »

Woppy T wrote:
So G n f'n R ;) fits no part of the clue/category. (Unless you count southern California as "southern").

By "Southern", they mean Southern US.

.38 Special is from Jacksonville, FL. One of their lead singers is the kid brother of the late Ronnie Van Zandt.
MDCSWildcats86

Post by MDCSWildcats86 »

zakharov wrote:

Yes, there was. I was being sarcastic on a JIM ROME SHOW level, theorizing what might have been there ("Catcher's Mitt Romeny, maybe?).
jeff6286

Post by jeff6286 »

zakharov wrote:
MDCSWildcats86 wrote: Memo from the J board:

Sincerely,

This smiling Arby's logo has also been the governor of Massachusetts.
Spoiler
Who is Oven Mitt Romney?
No mentions yet, so was I the only one to notice that A.J. underbet, and Laura would have won if she had made the common suicide all-in wager from second place? I'm assuming he just made a math error, but that is a pretty egregious math error that could cost you both $35K and the chance to come back and keep playing. If Laura was going to bet more than $8600, she may as well have gone all-in, because it's pretty unlikely she was going to win if she bet more than that and missed, although the all-in could have dropped her to 3rd place.

*EDIT* Oops, I made an error when recording the pre-FJ scores and had Laura with $200 too much. Sorry to A.J. should you happen to read this. I should have double-checked my own numbers rather than assume that it was you that made the mistake.

I loved her wide-eyed stare when she saw the DD clue with Roy Hobbs in it. I took that as meaning that she had no earthly idea who in the heck Roy Hobbs was, so she just named the only baseball-themed novel she could think of, and luckily it happened to be right.
Last edited by jeff6286 on Thu Jul 12, 2012 11:22 pm, edited 2 times in total.
dhkendall
Pursuing the Dream

Post by dhkendall »

StevenH wrote:That's only the second time that I have ever seen Alex skip over a contestant in the interview segment, except the other time that I saw it happen it was the contestant at podium 1 who impressed everyone, and he skipped both of the other contestants.
If by "impressed everyone" you mean "kept on talking and didn't know when to shut up, despite Alex's repeated attempts to move on, and finally, with comic indigination, gave up and let her continue talking. (Fortunately, the other two were co-returning champs (one of which due to a very infamous win the day before, with the person he bested being brought back as well due to the controversial nature of the win.)

Game in question (the "one interview" one) is here, the chatterbox is her.)
"Jeopardy! is two parts luck and one part luck" - Me

"The way to win on Jeopardy is to be a rabidly curious, information-omnivorous person your entire life." - Ken Jennings

Follow my progress game by game since 2012
davey

Post by davey »

davey wrote:
bpmod wrote:
davey wrote:It sounded like Laura said Palomina to me...She was pretty great - it's not every day we get a contestant with crack comic timing. She should have come up with Tina Fay faster!
Oh. I thought I heard Palomino, but I could have been mistaken.

But on the other hand, I'm pretty sure I heard 'Tina Fey'.

Brian
So I can't spell either...This may be the week I loose all my skills....
Including punctuation...I can spell either!
bpmod
Rank

Post by bpmod »

dhkendall wrote:
StevenH wrote:That's only the second time that I have ever seen Alex skip over a contestant in the interview segment, except the other time that I saw it happen it was the contestant at podium 1 who impressed everyone, and he skipped both of the other contestants.
If by "impressed everyone" you mean "kept on talking and didn't know when to shut up, despite Alex's repeated attempts to move on, and finally, with comic indigination, gave up and let her continue talking. (Fortunately, the other two were co-returning champs (one of which due to a very infamous win the day before, with the person he bested being brought back as well due to the controversial nature of the win.)

Game in question (the "one interview" one) is here, the chatterbox is her.)
And the funny thing is, although I remember that like it was yesterday, I don't remember a single thing about her story.

Brian
...but the senator, while insisting he was not intoxicated, could not explain his nudity.

If I had 50 cents for every math question I got right, I'd have $6.30 by now.
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

It had something to do with being in a museum in Germany and being approached by the cops (I think).
Budphrey
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by Budphrey »

Alas, Laura became one more victim of the "Never Sass Alex" curse. Odds on whether she thinks it was worth it, though?

For the 8-letter "P" clue for a word meaning "side by side": I chose "pellmell" rather than "parallel." Judges?
Poo-tee-weet? So it goes.
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

Budphrey wrote:For the 8-letter "P" clue for a word meaning "side by side": I chose "pellmell" rather than "parallel." Judges?
Not seeing that one.
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

Very much an up and down game for me. I marked the 30 Rock category as "no answer" the instant it came up. Also 0/5 in Thai Foods — to be fair, I did make correct mental guesses on the first 3, but clammed since I wasn't remotely sure on any of them.

Too slow on "cinematography" to run the ographies.

Surprised that a.) Hitchhiker's Guide was a TS, and b.) they didn't sound the beeps right before AJ rang in like that.

Hmm. Let's start near the back of the alphabet. Got nothing for Z, Y, X. Vietnamese. Urdu. Turkish… Spanish? Gotta be Spanish, since I can't imagine one of the "big six" being something uncommon. Yay for FJ! clues that actually give me something to go on as far as reasoning out the answer.

Bpmod — If you don't mind, I've uploaded the interview to YouTube here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nywRxZP-CBA
hbomb1947
Still hoping to get on Jeopardy! while my age is in double digits

Post by hbomb1947 »

I had never heard of Quikrete before (us city folk don't use such products), so I had to wait until that product was named in this game thread to find out what the poor goat had ingested (I replayed her interview on my DVR recording, but although I heard the sounds, I couldn't recognize anything I'd ever heard of that comes in 60 and 80 pound sizes). Then I had to google Quikrete to find out what it actually is.

I was pulling for Laura to win after she did what a contestant in her situation should do on a DD wager, but rarely does. (Yes, you can quibble about whether she should have lopped $100 or so off the amount to ensure that she'd be around to play FJ; but there were still a fair amount of clues left on the board at that point). Too often in that scenario, the player won't even try to catch up to the leader, and will bet something like $2,000. If Laura hadn't had the unfortunate brain-freeze on the Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy question, things could have gotten even more interesting. (Granted, her FJ wager was disappointing, and threw away the advantage of having pulled herself into a 4/5 game. Of course, that ended up not mattering). It also bears mentioning that A.J.'s DD wagers were both quite conservative (if memory serves, he bet $1,600 on a $2,000 level clue when he'd been doing well in the category).

On FJ, my first thought was Russian, but then I figured that with so many Spanish-speaking member nations, it would make sense for Spanish to be an official language. I wasn't too confident, though, before the reveal.

Quibble: one of the correct responses in the before & after wasn't a true B&A, but was a portmanteau (Ronald McDonald Trump). I was also disappointed that the players left that category for last and that we didn't get to see one of the clues in that category (it doesn't help when, with only one category still on the board, the players slow things down by reciting the category name when calling out their clue selections).
Last edited by hbomb1947 on Thu Jul 12, 2012 11:30 pm, edited 6 times in total.
Follow me on twitter, even though I rarely tweet! https://twitter.com/hbomb_worldwide
marpocky

Post by marpocky »

TenPoundHammer wrote:Hmm. Let's start near the back of the alphabet. Got nothing for Z, Y, X. Vietnamese. Urdu. Turkish… Spanish? Gotta be Spanish, since I can't imagine one of the "big six" being something uncommon.
Yup. Wasn't going to be Zulu, Yoruba, or Xhosa, that's for sure.
marpocky

Post by marpocky »

hbomb1947 wrote:On FJ, my first thought was Russian, but then I figured that with so many Spanish-speaking member nations, it would make sense for Spanish to be an official language. I wasn't too confident, though, before the reveal.
Indeed, the official languages are the primary languages of the permanent Security Council members (US+UK=English, China=Chinese, France=French, Russia=Russian), plus the language spoken in the most member states (Spanish) and the most spoken language out of all the rest (Arabic).
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

jeff6286 wrote:
No mentions yet, so was I the only one to notice that A.J. underbet, and Laura would have won if she had made the common suicide all-in wager from second place? I'm assuming he just made a math error, but that is a pretty egregious math error that could cost you both $35K and the chance to come back and keep playing. If Laura was going to bet more than $8600, she may as well have gone all-in, because it's pretty unlikely she was going to win if she bet more than that and missed, although the all-in could have dropped her to 3rd place.

I loved her wide-eyed stare when she saw the DD clue with Roy Hobbs in it. I took that as meaning that she had no earthly idea who in the heck Roy Hobbs was, so she just named the only baseball-themed novel she could think of, and luckily it happened to be right.
How about if you change Laura to 17600 entering FJ. Does that help? A.J. knows what he is doing.

What in the world did Laura have for lunch? She was ready to go although her balloon was deflated before the big DD move. Yes, A.J. was way ahead, but the game wasn't over. Good for her to make a contest out of it.

30 Rock was strange for me. I've seen one episode since I couldn't resist seeing what MILF Island was about. Fey & Baldwin I can handle. Morgan was a chicken stumper since I didn't know his character's name. I knew the page would appear somewhere, but would need multiple choice to get his name. The $1000 not requiring show knowledge was a gift to get out of that with $1600.

The B&A saved me with speed reading and time before Alex was done. I was close to blurting out Pee Wee Herman Franks before getting the proper Herman.

Tonight had me so close to a very rare third game in a row with no ring-in errors. I lost it on the $2000 clue in Taxes when I tried lien for whatever A.J. knew to pad his lead.

The FJ clue's reveal had me thinking it would be Russian. I scribbled all six correctly, so circling Spanish took little effort.

The 38 Special clue was what I call a dagger stumper when no players get a clue that makes me feel old. Hard to believe the song is 30 years old now.
Last edited by MarkBarrett on Thu Jul 12, 2012 10:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
hbomb1947
Still hoping to get on Jeopardy! while my age is in double digits

Post by hbomb1947 »

econgator wrote:
Budphrey wrote:For the 8-letter "P" clue for a word meaning "side by side": I chose "pellmell" rather than "parallel." Judges?
Not seeing that one.
"pell-mell" isn't a single word (Can a hyphenated word even be a correct response in a crossword clues category?) And its definition is "confused," "jumbled," etc. Doesn't fit the clue.
Follow me on twitter, even though I rarely tweet! https://twitter.com/hbomb_worldwide
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

MarkBarrett wrote:The 38 Special clue was what I call a dagger stumper when no players get a clue that makes me feel old. Hard to believe the song is 30 years old now.
Tell me about it. They actually sang that song at our Grad Night at Disney World (also appearing: The Greg Kihn Band and Night Ranger).