Monday, July 16, 2012 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

Magna
Hooked on Jeopardy

Re: Monday, July 16, 2012 Game Recap & Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by Magna »

The fact that Phillips was shot serves as a TOM by hinting that whatever kind of journalism Phillips was involved in, it tended to make people angry at the writer personally.

I guess muckraking might have had something to do with his being shot - after all, he was known as someone who exposed others' wrongdoing to the public eye, which might have led the shooter to think the same thing was going on with the novel. In any case it doesn't matter for purposes of a TOM.
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

Magna wrote:The fact that Phillips was shot serves as a TOM by hinting that whatever kind of journalism Phillips was involved in, it tended to make people angry at the writer personally.
Or in my case, it makes you think the term is related to guns in some way, and all you can think of is "bulletproof".
Austin Powers
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by Austin Powers »

TenPoundHammer wrote:
Magna wrote:The fact that Phillips was shot serves as a TOM by hinting that whatever kind of journalism Phillips was involved in, it tended to make people angry at the writer personally.
Or in my case, it makes you think the term is related to guns in some way, and all you can think of is "bulletproof".
TPH you speak truth. There was nothing actually all THAT dangerous in being a muckraker - it's not like they were hunted down, and this guy was killed for reasons not related to muckraking (this was a novel about a high class family, not some down and dirty exploration of the Minneapolis political machine).

So, while it could be a TOM, it's a TOM based on bad facts and bad connections between those facts. A factual show like Jeopardy shouldn't have the viewer think this guy was shot because of his muckraking.

And, if you know a little about muckraking, but that doesn't sound right to you, you ask yourself, "what's this shooting about?" and waste time trying to find some word that ties shooting or guns into journalism. Treating the clue holistically is usually a "bulletproof" (sorry) way to approach FJ.

Honestly, if it is about being in danger because of what you report, "whistleblower" would have made more sense as an answer.
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

I sorta kinda knew what "muckraking" was, but that was long ago. I didn't know people were hunted down for it. And I couldn't think of any journalistic terms, nor did I think that his shooting had anything to do with his journalism.

I've said this a million times before. I have no sense of logic at all.
Magna
Hooked on Jeopardy

Post by Magna »

@AP None of those terms are very closely related to journalism, though. I think the point of the TOM, if that's what it is, is to suggest that someone might get angry at such a journalist - not that muckrakers were frequently attacked or shot at. (Although some of them have been, over the years.)
harrumph
Voyeur

Post by harrumph »

Muckrakers are getting shot a lot in Mexico and Russia these days.
hbomb1947
Still hoping to get on Jeopardy! while my age is in double digits

Post by hbomb1947 »

Angering the people exposed would seem to be an occupational hazard for any investigative reporters -- and since that subset of journalists is already the category name for the clue, that doesn't really help. The detail in the clue about the shooting is nothing more than a red herring.
Follow me on twitter, even though I rarely tweet! https://twitter.com/hbomb_worldwide
bpmod
Rank

Post by bpmod »

the_phil wrote:
Magna wrote:Instaget for me - bully never even occurred to me and I was a little surprised that all three contestants independently gave that response. I empathize with Blythe's laughter!
Same here. Of course, that's probably because I inadvertently took a course about labor relations in the early 1900s in college.
Wow!!!

You're older than I thought.

Brian
...but the senator, while insisting he was not intoxicated, could not explain his nudity.

If I had 50 cents for every math question I got right, I'd have $6.30 by now.
Magna
Hooked on Jeopardy

Post by Magna »

hbomb1947 wrote:Angering the people exposed would seem to be an occupational hazard for any investigative reporters -- and since that subset of journalists is already the category name for the clue, that doesn't really help. The detail in the clue about the shooting is nothing more than a red herring.
Not sure about that. Someone who investigated high-profile politicians (in the U.S.) probably wouldn't be in much danger. They might be hassled in some way, but I can't see the President, a Senator, or a governor sending a goon after someone (or picking up a gun himself). A journalist who published general investigations into issues without a clear villain or a suggestion of wrongdoing probably wouldn't be in much danger either.
dhkendall
Pursuing the Dream

Post by dhkendall »

the_phil wrote:I inadvertently took a course about labor relations in the early 1900s in college.
Wow, you're much older than I thought you were! :o

(let's hear it for ambiguous prepositions! :mrgreen: )
"Jeopardy! is two parts luck and one part luck" - Me

"The way to win on Jeopardy is to be a rabidly curious, information-omnivorous person your entire life." - Ken Jennings

Follow my progress game by game since 2012
stevo4212

Post by stevo4212 »

I'd say I rarely get questions because of TOMs anyway, (probably not that true, but you know, if the question says, "It's the largest island in the world, though it has very little plantlife" - I'm much more likely to know Greenland from biggest island -and ignore the rest) unless the TOM is in the main part of the clue. One exception was from the pi is an irrational number clue from last week.

I suppose I'm a very literal person. It may explain why I don't perform that well on FJs, or on those funny, break-the-ice categories, like the Etiquette for protesting thing today. Perhaps its simpler to say I rarely get puns.
marpocky

Post by marpocky »

bpmod wrote:
econgator wrote:
Swift'sSecondCourse wrote:Since when did people decide Niger should be pronounced Nee-jair? I swear I only started hearing that within the last few years.

Parce que la langue officielle est le français, ne vous savez ? :)

But yeah, it's a fairly recent thing. I suspect it's most the media trying to look all cultural.
If it were French, it would end in an 'ay' sound, not an 'air' sound.

Brian
AFAIK, it's always been (properly) pronounced that way, but it's only recently that this has caught on in the US (and other English-speaking countries I presume). (Source: knew a missionary that had been there for many years)

And I don't think it would be an 'ay' sound...wouldn't it have to be Niget for that? Compare to the vowel sounds in, say, hiver.

FWIW, the demonym is "Nigerien", prounced like "nee-zhair-ee-EN", not to be confused with Nigerian.

The river is still typically referred to in English as nye-jur.
khiddy
Contributor

Post by khiddy »

Instaget for me on FJ, though I am reading "River of Doubt" about Roosevelt's exploration of the Amazon tributary, so TR has been on my mind of late. Bully for me!

As a side note, it's interesting the totally opposite meanings of the word "bully": as a noun it's "one who intimidates" with a corresponding negative connotation, but as an adjective, it's "very good, first rate". Accordingly, I think we should promote that all students become bullies. In the good way. ;)

I was surprised at some of the TS clues, especially HSM3 - I felt that was one that anyone who's chatted with a tweener in the past 5 years should've had at the tip of the tongue. Beyoncé was the only solo artist that I didn't get, and I found the African category particularly easy. I applaud the producers for making it so through the use of highlighting. That especially helps us pool swimmers who are playing lots of country-outline-puzzle games.
Woppy T

Post by Woppy T »

dhkendall wrote:
the_phil wrote:I inadvertently took a course about labor relations in the early 1900s in college.
Wow, you're much older than I thought you were! :o

(let's hear it for ambiguous prepositions! :mrgreen: )
Also, you took the course inadvertently? What, did you show up for registration drunk? ;)